Mazda tech question by FieroLisa
Started on: 08-12-2001 08:59 PM
Replies: 4
Last post by: Mach10 on 08-13-2001 10:43 PM
FieroLisa

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2001 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroLisaSend a Private Message to FieroLisaDirect Link to This Post
Check engine light just came on in a 1999 mazda protege. Can I check the codes to try to figure out what the problem is?

------------------

FieroLisa's Website*NC Tarheels Fieros Site

AIM: FieroLisa

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Mach10

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2001 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mach10Send a Private Message to Mach10Direct Link to This Post
I used to have a Protege. The check-engine light was the only thing NOT to go wrong with it. Then I plastered it on a concrete divider, after getting into a heated argument with a fridge door.
I'll check my Haynes for my old Protege, but I think it might only go to 97. Nevertheless, I'll look.
Nashco

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 74
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2001 02:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NashcoClick Here to visit Nashco's HomePageSend a Private Message to NashcoDirect Link to This Post
99% of newer cars can't have the codes pulled without a scan tool. You're best off finding a friend who has a scan tool if you're hurting for cash, but if nobody has a scan tool, you're just going to have to get it fixed at a shop or pay the fee to get the codes pulled. Most shops charge about 50-75 bucks to pull codes and reset them.

Oh, another cheap alternative is to see if the Autozone (or whatever) has one of the scanners made for one vehicle make. Usually they have all the GM and Ford vehicles, but it's hard to say if they'll have a Mazda code checker.

Good luck...you're probably just going to have to bite the bullet and take it to a shop.

Bryce
88 GT

TRiAD

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2001 02:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TRiADSend a Private Message to TRiADDirect Link to This Post
1) Have you installed any aftermarket stuff (ie; intake) ? If so, uninstall and see if it stops. "Odd" MFA readings can cause this. Generally, the car will "learn" the new settings, adjust timing and fuel (if so-equipped) and go-on with life w/out the code.

2) Make sure your gas cap is tight (this is the MAIN cause of OBD2 MILs or check engine lights.)

Good luck!

Mach10

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2001 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mach10Send a Private Message to Mach10Direct Link to This Post
Yeah, my book only went to 97. However, it is stated that all the ODB-II systems do not output to the "Check Engine" light. Rather, they do need a scantool to do this. Sorry.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock