Stupid computer question by btoth
Started on: 08-10-2001 11:27 AM
Replies: 5
Last post by: maryjane on 08-10-2001 12:34 PM
btoth

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2001 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for btothSend a Private Message to btothDirect Link to This Post
Seeing as how I'm a computer science major... I'm going to try to not look stupid.

My computer has always done this thing where if I don't use it for a while it's as if my soundcard goes to sleep. My sound "chip" is a built in Ensoniq Sounblaster clone basically built into the motherboard of my Gateway. All of my power settings are turned to "always on" but I don't get why the sound would go to sleep.

The only way that I can make it come back is by playing a sound or an mp3.

Normally I wouldn't care about something this stupid, but I like to leave my Instant Messanger window open all the time and after a while, it stops making sounds when people sign on and off.

Any ideas?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierobaby

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2001 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobabySend a Private Message to fierobabyDirect Link to This Post
well Brian...mine does the same thing... but I have no clue why I'm thinking maybe it is something stupid the company built into the soundcard?
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2001 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Have you looked in the BIOS settings to see if there is anything that might be configured to cause this?

------------------
Raydar - aka Steve

Black 88 Formula.
Red 88 Duke coupe. "The Project"
88 Formula parts car. "The Donor"

baldlobo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2001 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for baldloboSend a Private Message to baldloboDirect Link to This Post
I'm assuming you have windows here go to control panel, click on the system icon, go into device manager, your sound card/onboard sound should be under the header sound,Video,game controllers, click on the plus sine, high light the object(s) in there one at a time and look in their properties. to see if you can disable this feature; oh yeah have a nice day and come back soon you hear
84Bill

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 461
User Banned

Report this Post08-10-2001 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84BillClick Here to visit 84Bill's HomePageSend a Private Message to 84BillDirect Link to This Post
Could be in the power section of the bios the "wake" on interrupt 10 (usually the sound card) is not set to "on" or checked, Check to see if the bios setting for PNP OS is "yes" Sometimes if this is not set correctly the OS will not control the power to certain things.

Also check the sound cards Interrupt. set it to manual and change it to another available interrupt and see what happens.

and lastly check for white papers on the Gateway site. usually there will be some kind of report on a known issue like this.

----------------
The difference between a user and a technician is, the user never reads the manual

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2001 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Now hold on just a sec baldlobo! Civility? Being polite and friendly in OT? What's next? apologies and short & to the point replys? What's the world comin to?
Oh, allright then. Have a good one yourself.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock