My rights as a speeder by spideyfoot
Started on: 08-05-2001 08:02 PM
Replies: 29
Last post by: spideyfoot on 08-07-2001 11:44 AM
spideyfoot

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2001 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spideyfootSend a Private Message to spideyfootDirect Link to This Post
Now I'm probably the only one who does this but I speed. Now it seems to me that traffic here goes about 75 on the highway so thats about how fast I go. But I want to take full advantage of my rights as a speeder. Their has to be a point where you are gonna get a ticket ( I have long hair so I NEVER get a warning) like I always heard your pretty much gonna get poped for anything above 5 over. But I would like to stay under aggravated speeding usually 20+ over. So to take advantage or get the most out of my ticket should I hang about 19 mph above the speed limit. like 89 in a 70? :P
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2001 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Think there's a police officer on the forum from Tenn. My7Fieros maybe? Guess he could tell you. Out here, you can get by 10-15 on the hiway as long as your wearing a seat belt. State trooper told me they don't press speed limit as straight and uncongested as the hiways are, but better have the belt on.
hugh

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2001 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hughSend a Private Message to hughDirect Link to This Post
Since I never,ever speed I don't speak as an expert.BUT,If you are going to speed follow someone else going as fast as you want to.The cops usually will get the 1st car.
Patrick's Dad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2001 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Patrick's DadClick Here to visit Patrick's Dad's HomePageSend a Private Message to Patrick's DadDirect Link to This Post
...but be careful in New Hampshire.

Months ago, I remember reading C&D, where they trailed a cop (not closely) doing 75+ while not in pursuit, and got ticketed. The reason was that the police would speed to "draw out" (I read this as "entrap") a would be speeder, and ticket him or her.

Interestingly, NH does not really have a daytime speed limit, substituting "reasonable and safe" as traffic conditions warrant. At least, unless they changed it within the last couple of years.

Shiner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2001 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ShinerSend a Private Message to ShinerDirect Link to This Post
I agree Hugh, that little trick has kept my ass out of a jam more than a few times.
DecadenceR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2001 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DecadenceRClick Here to visit DecadenceR's HomePageSend a Private Message to DecadenceRDirect Link to This Post
From my experience on the turnpike and parkway here in NJ, cops usually don't bother you when you'er speding at like 75, unless you're driving erratically. Like if you keep in teh same lane when the otherpeople in that lane are going that fast, they don't bother you. But weaving in and out of cars while your'e speeding is a sure ticket. I was going 85 on teh rurnpike, and a trooper pulled up next to me, shined his light on me, and I slowed down. then he turned off the light and sped away.
spideyfoot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2001 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spideyfootSend a Private Message to spideyfootDirect Link to This Post
Ive seen entire trains of cars pulled over here. I think the longest was four. If I run a duck I let him get way on up there.
Jake2m4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2001 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake2m4Send a Private Message to Jake2m4Direct Link to This Post
Hmm, lets see... Little two seat sports car... A little above speed limit... or minivan all options including soccer mom sticker... going even faster... I still bet the sports car is gonna get pulled!

------------------
'85 Fiero Sport Coupe
'95 Pontiac Grand AM SE

Songman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2001 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
They'd have one helluva court battle on if I got a ticket for following a cop who was speeding... Unless they are on an emergency and have their lights on they have no more right exceeding the speed limit than we do. Of course, no one seems to remember that.

And they still don't have the right to make me wear a seatbelt so why should that have an effect on whether or not I get a speeding ticket. I know, I know.. there is a law.. So what.. if you are in the military you don't have to follow bogus orders either (no matter what Jack Nicholson said in A Few Good Men).

------------------

Tennessee Fiero Owners

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2001 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
I usually try not to be the first or the last car in a line of speeders. They'll pick off the "back-markers" if they can't get anyone else. Usually, anywhere in Atlanta, 10 over is pretty safe unless it's a State Trooper. Of course, you're in danger of being run over if you're any slower than 15 over on the interstate.
You don't want to speed in those little South Georgia towns. Even a little bit. They generate an awful lot of revenue by tagging out-of-town speeders.

People in Atlanta just can't drive.

------------------
Raydar - aka Steve

Black 88 Formula.
Red 88 Duke coupe. "The Project"
88 Formula parts car. "The Donor"

sqoach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2001 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sqoachSend a Private Message to sqoachDirect Link to This Post
I have a story.

Was coming back home from picking up my SE in OKC. It was a little after midnight. I'm following my older sister (she drove me down there). We're driving on the the highway and come up to Medford (very small town). There is one stop sign we had to stop at. After that, it's the "highway" again. I get on it kinda fast, but not over-doing it, just keeping up with my sister. The speed limit signs get back up to 65 pretty quick, within a half-mile. Then, I see headlights coming up on me fast, then red and blue flashing lights. I'm thinking, what the hell did I do? I got cited for speeding, 42 in a 35. This guy stopped me nearly two miles out of town. I ended up not getting a ticket for speeding, but got one for an out of date tag. [$100 ] I told him I just bought the car (which I did) And was going to get it tagged on Monday. Already had insurance covered. He didn't seem to care Well, I got the tag taken care of, but they wouldn't accept a copy. So I had to drive all the way back to Medford, go to court for like 1 minute, then pay the damn court cost

Anyway, at least it's not on my record. The cops there have nothing better to do than to stop people for stupid reasons. Guess they need to make money somehow

------------------
sqoach@yahoo.com

84 SE (FOR SALE)*sale pending*
85 Coupe (parts car)($50)*sale pending*
86 SC (FOR SALE)
86 SE V6 (new project)

PFF
System Bot
fiero56

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2001 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero56Send a Private Message to fiero56Direct Link to This Post
I was on 675 Saturday afternoon after driving a friend out to buy a new car. I was following him and decided 60mph was too slow, so I passed him and goosed it up just under 80 for a mile or so. I decide to let off and cruise at 65 the rest of the way. Just as I round a long sweeping curve on the highway there are 7 state troopers parked on both sides of the southbound lanes(my direction), "shooting" people. 2 troopers were citing vehicles already pulled over, and 5 others were picking out their next victims. Was I happy person that I slowed down at the beginning of the curve just barely out of sight of those cops, you bet I was . Still ticket free .

[This message has been edited by fiero56 (edited 08-05-2001).]

Songman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2001 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like you got the same BS I got into in Ohio... And it is illegal but you can't fight them sometimes, or it becomes more trouble and expense than it is worth... The fact is that you have 30 days to transfer a tag after you buy a car. Anything else and you have been railroaded...

------------------

Tennessee Fiero Owners

My7Fieros

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2001 02:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for My7FierosSend a Private Message to My7FierosDirect Link to This Post
SIGH........
Yet another thread on cops, tickets, whatever. Let me say this:.........
Every agency is different...
Every cop is different.......
Around here, most cops wont stop you unless you're going at least, and I mean at least 12 over...I dont stop unless its 15+ over the speed limit. Why? Because if I stopped everyone that was going 5 mph over the speed limit Id have to stop EVERY single car driving down the street! I still get tired of hearing the infamous "I got a ticket" story from people (not just on the forum). I dont care if you're driving a Vette or a minivan, if you're speeding (way over), you're gonna get stopped...what kind of car you're driving makes absolutly no difference to me, or most any other cop for that matter. Ive also noticed that alot of these "I got a ticket" stories here on the forum usually takes place in some one horse town somewhere.......yeah, be careful, small town cops usually are worse than larger city cops.
Nobody likes to get stopped, but its a fact of life..thats why there are laws. So keep up with the "b.s. cop wrote me blah blah blah" stories all you want..fact is, if you're breaking the law, you're gonna (eventually) get busted...PERIOD.
There, Im done rambling now.

------------------
My 7 Fieros

artherd

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2001 06:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for artherdClick Here to visit artherd's HomePageSend a Private Message to artherdDirect Link to This Post
Hi My7, I'm not a law-enforcment officer, but I do know several who will be MORE likely to ticket that minivan, (or rather, less likely to ticket a sports car driven in a brisk, but obeservative of conditions and in a full controled manner)

The minivan is not designed for rapid driving, whereas the sports car is. A minivan doing 65 in a 55 is far more dangerous than a sports car doing 70 in a 55.

As you say, anyone blatantly speeding will get it (and deserves it) It's receless and terrificly dangerous.

However, I still do thing there ought to be two 'classes' of driving licences. First, the standard licence should be harder to get, and require a bi-annual recertification with in-car rating. The next level; or 'sports' driver should include a higher-order of instruction and testing. Including but not limited to; reaction timing, rain and snow emergency high speed manuver obstacle courses, race track time, accident avoidance (other guy running red lights, etc) and a slew of other qualifications. Think actually of the 'exams' in the video game "Grand Turismo 3" :)
Re-certification should take place every year, (though the tests could be shortened) and MUST be done in the applicant's vehicle.

Said vehicle would then be licenced for 30 in a 25, 55 in a 45, and 80 in a 65 or so. (or maybe a universal "plus ten")

Make the licence plates Day-glo bright orange (with an encrypted barcode integral to foil copyrighters) or such. barcode would contain vechicle and driver physical stats. (idea blatently lifted from "back to the future" which I just watched :)

Best!
Ben.

------------------

Ben Cannon
88 Formula, T-top Metalic Red
88 Formula, Silver
87 Coupe, Metalic Red
"Every Man Dies, not every man really Lives"
-Mel Gibson, "Braveheart"

spideyfoot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2001 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spideyfootSend a Private Message to spideyfootDirect Link to This Post
I'm not ragging on anyone . My job sucks and Im sure parts of being a lawdog suck too. But since most of us only break the law in the form of speeding getting a ticket is one of the worst things that can happen. I personally have gotten 3 tickets for 5 and under one was in my grey model 928 and i was pretty close (4 over) in my conversion from Kph to mph. My favorite was the 5 over ticket on my bike (saw my front end duck down so he knew I was going even faster.
spideyfoot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2001 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spideyfootSend a Private Message to spideyfootDirect Link to This Post

spideyfoot

214 posts
Member since Apr 2001
So My7 do you speed? If so do you turn yourself in? I'm sorry to judge people on their occupation. But I can assure you its not one sided. I am sure I am being judged because I have hair down to my rear. But yet I don't drink, smoke, do drugs steal and you know what I'm an Eagle Scout who has held a job since the day I turned 18. I think like a mortician gets desensitized with death some people's jobs do the same with peoples feelings and dealings with other humans. I just saw on the news in Huntsville AL that they are "advised" to give out 2 tickets an hour and raises are heavily influenced by the amount of tickets given out.
JSocha

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2001 09:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JSochaSend a Private Message to JSochaDirect Link to This Post
I myself haven't sped for over a year now. I set my cruise control which evenually settles anywhere between 65 to 67.5 MPH (ND wise). Been driving all over the states of ND, MN and in some rare cases, SD and am within the posted speed limit by a respective number above.

Last November, I got a speeding ticket because I was the last one in a group of 4 or 5 vehicles and the HP could not get out. So, he stuck me with it. Went to court to contest the 76 MPH ticket in a 65 and they tried to tell me my speedometer must have been off and not calibrated, blah, blah, blah, blah.

Attempted to appeal the ticket, but due to the holiday's season, my appeal request ended up one day late and they denied me because of that and because the States Attorney was throwing a little fit that I wanted to appeal so whoever it was decided I didn't have a case.

Just a bunch of crooks over in Grand Forks if you ask me and yet, to this day (since I changed my ways back in the new year 2000), I have never gotten a speeding ticket anywhere else prior to that or since.

Yeah, yeah, yeah...I'm sure you officers have heard the same ole cry me a river story. However, when I was being honest, I still got the shaft.

------------------

ChadMan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2001 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ChadManSend a Private Message to ChadManDirect Link to This Post
A Tale of Two Officers: the Dick and the Saint

The Dick: When I was 18, I was home from college for the weekend and driving down a familiar street in my hometown. I passed a cop and glanced down at my speedo. Whew...37 in a 35...nothing to worry about. Well, he pulled me over -- turns out they had lowered the speed limit to 25 two weeks earlier. The cop said there'd been a story in the neighborhood paper about the limit change and pointed out that I'd passed a speed limit sign. (Be honest: how often do you read the street signs in areas you know like the back of your hand?) The kicker is that I knew this guy socially -- he was the father of one of my high school buddies. Despite all this, he wrote me a $75 ticket that I had to skip meals to afford to pay (I was paying my way through college at the time). Speed-trap operating bastard.

The Saint: In 1997 my wife and I went to Florida in the Coupe. On the way home, we'd been driving 13 hours and were doing about 80 in a 65 in southern Ohio when I saw the red and blue lights. The cop asked if I knew how fast I was going. I knew I deserved the ticket and he had me dead-to-rights, so I told him the truth and that I was sorry I was speeding. He saw my sunburned face and asked me where I'd been. I told him, and he said "You two went to Florida in a Fiero? You've been punished enough." He handed me my license, asked me to keep it slow the rest of the way home, and let me go.

[This message has been edited by ChadMan (edited 08-06-2001).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2001 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by My7Fieros:

Yet another thread on cops, tickets, whatever. Let me say this:.........
Every agency is different...
Every cop is different.......

It's just like any other cross-section of society. The cops that commit all the wrongs (or perceived wrongs) are the ones who get all the press.
You seldom hear about the ones who save people's behinds on a regular basis.

Here's my theory.
If I'm on the interstate, I drive with traffic. I try not to do anything to attract attention. I try not to do anything stupid.

If I'm driving through a small town, I respect the speed limit religiously, and try not to make a lot of noise. After all, this is somebody else's home. Other folks live here. I can respect that. I don't like it when people fly past my house.

------------------
Raydar - aka Steve

Black 88 Formula.
Red 88 Duke coupe. "The Project"
88 Formula parts car. "The Donor"

spideyfoot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2001 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spideyfootSend a Private Message to spideyfootDirect Link to This Post
I agree with you 100%
PFF
System Bot
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2001 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post
Keep it to 5 mph over and you'll be safe on the highway. 70 in a 65 or 75 in a 70. Don't be zig zagging shifting lane to lane. That really draws attention. And if you get caught, buck up cause you f***** up. If you want to play, you better be able to afford to pay, momma didn't raise no cry babies.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2001 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
First I drive mostly for fun with no particular place to be so speed limit is ok. Other times I just wanna go fast. I used to race stock cars so I think Im safer driver going 120mph on an open stretch of freeway than the high school girl going 80 on the same stretch. Most people have no clue how a car reacts to anykind of thing out of the ordinary. Like all the idiots who roll SUVs when they blow a tire. Ive had blowouts at 160 with no problem. Just have to know what your doing. As far as police avoidance I have a number of things i do when i do want to go fast. I avoid areas that are known to be radar traps. South Bloomfield ohio is a good one. I stay out of the fast lane as much as possible which is what your supposed to do anyway. How many have been stuck my a slow car in the fast lane for miles and miles just cruising along. I also try to keep any big vehicle like trucks ahead of me no matter how far to block the site and radar from ahead. I also have a radar/laser detector, CB radio (to listen to truckers), and police scanner (you can even hear Hiway Patrol aircraft speed traps). I have however gotten a ticket a year or so ago just like someone already mentioned. I didnt have any equipment on because I was just out for a relaxing cruise. I had been following behind a state hiway patrol car by a few hundred yards for 8-10 miles. he was going around 7 mph over limit of 55. coming into a town a sheriff sitting in median pulled me over after the HP passed him. I told her I was just going same speed as the HP who should be going the posted speed limit too since he wasnt on a run. she just gave me this sh--ty grin and wrote the ticket anyway. It wasnt worth effort to try beating it so i did get some satisfaction going to court. That makes the officer have to appear. When I come up i just pled guilty (not gonna win anyway) and paid the whole fine in pennies. Took 3 of them a couple hours to count it, while I sat on bench and watched my little tv. When I was leaving one of the clerks jokingly said what did i do rob the kids piggy bank, just told them 'no, stopped at my bank and bought the pennies with a 100 dollar bill' and left.
Butter

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 91
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2001 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ButterSend a Private Message to ButterDirect Link to This Post

[/QUOTE] Raydar

It's just like any other cross-section of society. The cops that commit all the wrongs (or perceived wrongs) are the ones who get all the press.
You seldom hear about the ones who save people's behinds on a regular basis.

Here's my theory.
If I'm on the interstate, I drive with traffic. I try not to do anything to attract attention. I try not to do anything stupid.

If I'm driving through a small town, I respect the speed limit religiously, and try not to make a lot of noise. After all, this is somebody else's home. Other folks live here. I can respect that. I don't like it when people fly past my house.

[/QUOTE]

I can and do respect that and for the most part practice it. I also like to turn the horses lose every now and then if the road and conditions will permit. I try to respect the laws and what they are made for but just every now and then I get a wild hair. Most drivers will break a highway law before they get home almost everyday. I am not a cop or in law enforcement in any way but I do work for TDOT and have been on a highway survey crew for many years so I can tell yall this from experience. I say have respect for everyone in your actions.

[This message has been edited by Butter (edited 08-06-2001).]

fierohoho

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2001 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierohohoSend a Private Message to fierohohoDirect Link to This Post
I think I'll just 10-22 this thread.

10-22 is cop talk for disregard at least in Minnesota.

------------------
'84 SE 2.5l
'85 Coupe 2.5l now getting a 3800
'86 SE 2.5l

My7Fieros

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2001 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for My7FierosSend a Private Message to My7FierosDirect Link to This Post
10-25 is disregard (at least here it is)
10-22 is "in route"

------------------
My 7 Fieros

Sootah

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2001 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SootahClick Here to visit Sootah's HomePageSend a Private Message to SootahDirect Link to This Post
I got a ticket just yesterday, 91 in a 75. The problem is (and this is probably the first time that a police officer has been told this and it is the truth) my speedometer is off! I came up over a hill on the freeway and see this silver car in the meridian turn on its lights and start to pull out, I look at my speedo, it says 80-83. I stop he comes up and says that he clocked me doing 91!! I asked him to see it and he did, sure enough 91. Supposedly he had just calibrated his radar. SO, the question is, how do I fight this? The officer said to go get my car checked out and if it is off then have them write it out for me and bring that to court. Do I stand a chance?

------------------
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience

Sootah

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2001 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SootahClick Here to visit Sootah's HomePageSend a Private Message to SootahDirect Link to This Post

Sootah

2457 posts
Member since May 2001
Oh, and how much is this going to cost me to get my car checked? The ticket is $75.00 and if it is going to cost me more to get this straighteneg out then I am just going to pay it. Ah, I will have to make the huge ass commute to the court down there. (About 100 miles)
1FST2M6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2001 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1FST2M6Click Here to visit 1FST2M6's HomePageSend a Private Message to 1FST2M6Direct Link to This Post
When stupid Atlantans attack... on tape!

http://www.tardsite.com/

LOL.. the 285 bypass... www.285sucks.com

------------------
www.engineered.net

[This message has been edited by 1FST2M6 (edited 08-07-2001).]

spideyfoot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2001 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spideyfootSend a Private Message to spideyfootDirect Link to This Post
Thats why I like that big ole bypass around Atlanta. I have a friend who goes to school there and has to drive from 30 minutes to 2 hours depending on the exact time he leaves his house. Ill stick to Nashville its just big enough for me.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock