Just saw "The Fast and the Furious" by Tweek
Started on: 06-22-2001 03:52 AM
Replies: 20
Last post by: Tigger on 06-30-2001 01:17 AM
Tweek

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2001 03:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TweekSend a Private Message to TweekDirect Link to This Post
I got to watch it the day before it came out AND for free =) (the movies places have to watch em the day before to make sure they work right, and I have connections )

Anyways... Its a fun movie, but you have to ignore the fact that its all souped up Jap cars (Im being PC here). Other than that, just get into the adreniline of it all and its pretty fun. That WAS a nice GTO (I think) at the end, kind of a tribute to good ol cubic inches. The exhaust notes of all but one car are pretty annoying though, I still have buzzing in my ears. Decent story too, not all black and white, kinda grayish if you know what I mean.

If you think you can get past the bias most of us have here towards american cars, the I recommend it. I am a bit concerned about the kids who think they can drive like that in theirs after seeing it.

Cheers,
Ted

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
JohnnyK

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 354
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2001 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnnyKSend a Private Message to JohnnyKDirect Link to This Post
"Souped up jap cars"?? Thats not too PC..

------------------
i speak religion's message clear
i am denial guilt and fear
i am the prayers of the naive
i am the lie that you believe

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2001 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
ill wait for vid. Im only interested in the stunts and paint jobs
Fiero2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2001 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2Click Here to visit Fiero2's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero2Direct Link to This Post
Steve and I are going to see it tonight.
Looks like a cool movie.
Steve loves cars in general, so he and I are going just to be entertained, as that's what going to the movies is all about anyway last time I remember.

We saw The Mummy Returns last night. That was a great movie too. It was also very entertaining with alot of edge of your seat action, unless someone has something against mummies? LOL

Marian

Tweek

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2001 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweekSend a Private Message to TweekDirect Link to This Post
LOL I saw the Mummy returns the other day, it was hilarius.
Jimmy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2001 05:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySend a Private Message to JimmyDirect Link to This Post
I also saw the "fast and the furious" today. It was very OK. I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it but its one of those "undercover cop things" that gets done over and over again. I do think NOS paid up some big money so that their products or name was mentioned/shown every five minutes! Overall the car stuff was fun! Better than Gone in 60 Seconds(200) which I thought had crummy footage of cars. Hmmmm.... I've been looking at NOS kits for my V8 on the internet all night, movie must have served its purpose.

Jim

Jimmy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2001 05:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySend a Private Message to JimmyDirect Link to This Post

Jimmy

815 posts
Member since Aug 2000
Oh, and the muscle car in the movie was a Charger not a GTO. Not really what year however.

Jim

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2001 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
I saw it yesterday too. You hear mention on turbo's & superchargers, but the movie highlights NOS a hell of alot. EVERY car has NOS, except the Charger. Some cars did look good, while others had "too much" rice to them, to the point of being ridiculous. Check out www.beaterz.com to see some "overcooked rice".

I expect NOS sales will skyrocket this summer, as every Honda CRX/Civic owner will be installing NOS and a fart-can exhaust expecting to become a 10sec race car. I doubt many will spend the other thousands of dollars to make the engine stronger, so expect to see many Hondas with blown engines being towed off the street.

The movie is SOOO realistic. Like, ya, the slammed cars can do 160mph on city streets!! You can race 4 abreast, and there's NO traffic and NO cops in L.A. Every kid with a better than minimum -wage job has spent US$40,000 on his US$20,000 Honda. The one guy has an S2000 with "probably $100,000 under the hood"!! Like all 20 year-olds are THAT rich!!

Entertaining movie though. I enjoyed it, probably more than Gone in 60 Seconds...

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 06-23-2001).]

Tweek

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2001 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TweekSend a Private Message to TweekDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jimmy:
Oh, and the muscle car in the movie was a Charger not a GTO. Not really what year however.

Jim

Doh! My bad.

c m west

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2001 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for c m westClick Here to visit c m west's HomePageSend a Private Message to c m westDirect Link to This Post
You can race 4 abreast, and there's NO traffic and NO cops in L.A. - this is true, especially at 3 in the morning on Roxford and Tampa where it is really done

Every kid with a better than minimum -wage job has spent US$40,000 on his US$20,000 - there called sponserships, either through stereo companies or through some less "legal" means.

The one guy has an S2000 with "probably $100,000 under the hood"!! Like all 20 year-olds are THAT rich!! Im sure the character's mommy and daddy had some participation in it, just as they do in real life

I grew up with street racing here in L.A. and the movie wasnt that far off. The only thing I found a stretch was the big rig hi-jacking, though it may give some kids even better ideas for funds to add to the money hungry cars

Eric - West Coast Fiero www.cwestco.com
310-305-4111

Pontiaddict

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2001 05:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PontiaddictSend a Private Message to PontiaddictDirect Link to This Post
The one guy has an S2000 with "probably $100,000 under the hood"!! Like all 20 year-olds are THAT rich!!
I was half asleep through the movie [I thought it sucked by the way] and still noticed that the kid in the "Honda 2000" as they kept calling it, was forshadowed as a spoiled rich kid in the beginning of the movie.

Besides a nitrous backfire, how would a 140 shot of NOS attempt to "crack the welds on the intake" Yeah it could freeze the intake and it could crack thawing out, but they made 140 seem like a magic number and if something happened to break the intake with that much nitrous, the intake would be the last thing I would be worrying about.

PFF
System Bot
Fierokid87

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2001 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierokid87Send a Private Message to Fierokid87Direct Link to This Post
I thought the movie was pretty good. I like the cars, I mean they are cars. I am a car freak. But Im even more of a Fiero freak then anything. But I like the paint jobs, and, the racing. And byt the way. I dont think that was a GTO at the end. I think that was a Dodge Charger like the one from Duke of Hazard.

Scott

------------------
Fierokid's Web site
http://www.angelfire.com/sports/sfiero

AIM: Fierokid87

JohnnyK

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 354
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2001 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnnyKSend a Private Message to JohnnyKDirect Link to This Post
I just heard that they pull up next to a Ferrari, and the honda boys are like "take him out". hahhaha.. sigh.. that makes me angry.
Neal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2001 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NealClick Here to visit Neal's HomePageSend a Private Message to NealDirect Link to This Post
well the eclipse he was driving is supposed to be 10 sec in the quarter, which would make him WAY faster than the ferarri, but in hollywood style the 10 sec car is neck and neck with a 12-13 sec car...

And in a drag dont you want to get on the n2o ASAP?
Also for 10 sec out of an import would you not need a much bigger shot than 140. And shouldnt the interiors have been totally striped for weight savings...

So many things bothered me, but i keep telling myself its hollywood.

kslish

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2001 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kslishSend a Private Message to kslishDirect Link to This Post
They were driving a Toyota Supra Turbo when they took on the Ferrari (which is a fair fight). I don't think that the Eclipse that the lead character was driving at the beginning of the movie was anywhere near a 10 second car.

The Supra is simply in a different league compared to the other cars in the movie. It's equivalents would be Acura NSX's, Vette's, and so on.

Ken S.

JSocha

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2001 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JSochaSend a Private Message to JSochaDirect Link to This Post
I thought the movie was a heck of a lot better then DRIVEN, had a plot and the action and tension was all there. Sure beats watching the Little Mermaid! Some of the eye candy was good, especially the shower scene at Car Wars.

Wife didn't like it to much. But she did like the colors of the cars.

I thought the Wheelie the Charger did at the end of the movie was awsum!

EDIT: Did anybody realize something in that movie as did I. Hardly anybody (well, actually nobody for that matter) was ever wearing their seatbelts. RECARO seats with dual sholder straps and yet every scene, no seatbelts.

Wife noticed that too!
------------------

[This message has been edited by JSocha (edited 06-25-2001).]

Fierochic88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2001 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierochic88Send a Private Message to Fierochic88Direct Link to This Post
Kick Ass Movie.....however it lacked Fieros

Jennifer

------------------
Silver 1988 GT
Silver 1986 2m4
Cobalt Blue 85 GT

Neal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2001 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NealClick Here to visit Neal's HomePageSend a Private Message to NealDirect Link to This Post
i didnt notice the seatbelts, but they were racing at a track with no helmets.
Pontiaddict

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2001 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PontiaddictSend a Private Message to PontiaddictDirect Link to This Post
I noticed the seatbelt thing too.

Comparing a 10 second eclipse to a Ferrari is like comparing apples to oranges, the Eclipse would win in the quarter but the Ferrari would eat it alive on the highway either when the Mitsu redlines at a lower speed or when the N2O runs out.
Not that it mattered since the race against the Ferrari was with a Supra and the Supra had a Japaneese race motor before they laid a hand on the car (Wasn't that what the big deal the "team" was making, was about?.)

I can see where you wouldn't want to hit the nitrous off the like on a front driver and the other cars were so traction limited that it wouldn't be of any help there either.

Was that pukey green car the one guy was driving a Focus? (solid color, no hood, no stickers, chrome everywhere in the engine bay) I didn't get a good look at it but my friends said it was and I wasn't sure.

fierodude

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2001 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierodudeSend a Private Message to fierodudeDirect Link to This Post
the fiero on that movie mad eme puke it was souped up like a jap **** box! these boys who drive acuras and civics aren't kidding anyone there all show no go!

------------------
slice the rice! it dosen't pay to drive jap - crap!

Tigger

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2001 01:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TiggerSend a Private Message to TiggerDirect Link to This Post
Just saw the movie tonight. I've waited to look at this thread to avoid any bias.

Well, I think the movie was ok, not bad.
Had some good scenes, and like all movies it had some stupid moments.

Product placement is always name of the game, how many movies have you seen and you notice ALL of the cars used are Ford, Chrysler, or GM??? What are the actors supposed to do, lean over and turn on the "Nitro Brand X" bottle? People who know, know NOS anyway.

As far as the low cars and the stunts. Hey, how many Chargers did they destroy in the "Dukes of Hazzard?" Same thing here, jumping cars over hills isn't going to be good for them, but hey it's all fun!

Noticed the seatbelt and helmet thing. Figure it was a "Hollywood thing", hard to see the actors expressions and whatnot.

Noticed Mia, umm... couldn't tell you the names of the other characters.

PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock