Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Give me grief about having owned a Yugo. (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Give me grief about having owned a Yugo. by fierohoho
Started on: 06-14-2001 09:40 PM
Replies: 40
Last post by: Jimmy on 06-21-2001 12:14 AM
fierohoho

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2001 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierohohoSend a Private Message to fierohohoDirect Link to This Post
I said I would do this after admitting to owning one in another thread.
God forgive me but in 1984 I bought my first and only new car, a YUGO.
I am trying to make amends, I now own 3 Fieros and I'm looking for more.

Father Pontiac forgive me............

------------------
'84 SE 2.5l
'85 Coupe 2.5l now getting a 3800
'86 SE 2.5l

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Joe4x4

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2001 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe4x4Click Here to visit Joe4x4's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe4x4Direct Link to This Post
OK......was it a good car or not ?
Is that a 3cyl car? I think I ran over one
once (joke).

------------------
Need For Speed........

WampusCat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2001 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WampusCatSend a Private Message to WampusCatDirect Link to This Post
My older sister had a Yugo. She said it was one of the best cars she ever had. 140,000 miles in Atlanta traffic without a problem. She sold it and bought a Camaro, then the problems started!
Tweek

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2001 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweekSend a Private Message to TweekDirect Link to This Post
I think those are even more rare than fieros... Heck, I even saw one in a scrapyard today.
fiero56

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2001 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero56Send a Private Message to fiero56Direct Link to This Post
I've never seen a Yugo before. I saw my first picture of one in Grassroots last month.
LZeitgeist

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2001 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistDirect Link to This Post
Hell, I can't give you crap for owning a Yugo - I owned a Renault LeCar for a couple years (while I was using a Kawasaki Ninja as my primary transportation).

The best thing I did to that silver, four-door Renault LeCar was cut the roof off that thing and make it a hardtop convertable. That thing was cool as Hell after that. Ask Formula88 about that - he remembers.

You can't polish a turd, but you can cut it in half, and then you only have half a turd.

JSocha

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2001 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JSochaSend a Private Message to JSochaDirect Link to This Post
You had a YUGO!? What the hell were you smokin man!?

<singing> YUGO Boy! Yeah! Yeah! YUGO boy! Um! Um! Yeah! thats right!

------------------

FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2001 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post
Our family had a YUGO for about a year...if that. My dad had it for a comuter to and from work...it was in the shop about every 2 weeks and the engine gave out at 7,000 miles. At least someone had good luck with one.......too bad it wasnt us!

------------------

James Essar
AOL IM Name: FieroMaster88
88 Coupe 30,000 miles

Tigger

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2001 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TiggerSend a Private Message to TiggerDirect Link to This Post
A bit of Michigan Trivia: Did you know the Yugo was the first and I think the only car to fall off the Mackinac Bridge. A big gust of wind blew it right over the side.
Steve Normington

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 155
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2001 01:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Steve NormingtonSend a Private Message to Steve NormingtonDirect Link to This Post
Lime green Pacer hatchback.
Phil

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2001 06:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilSend a Private Message to PhilDirect Link to This Post
There was a Yugo on the Power Tour this year, it had something like 3000 miles on it when we started. They say that by going on the Power Tour the car doubled in value( they filled the gas tank).
PFF
System Bot
84Bill

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 461
User Banned

Report this Post06-15-2001 07:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84BillClick Here to visit 84Bill's HomePageSend a Private Message to 84BillDirect Link to This Post
They dont make them anymore.
I thought I saw one for sale not long back had 20,000 miles. hummmmmm
ChadMan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2001 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ChadManSend a Private Message to ChadManDirect Link to This Post
Were Yugos REALLY that bad? I remember everybody laughing at them, but I never drove or rode in one (I was 13 when they came out). The Slavs bought a Fiat design to make the Yugo if I remember right, so it had to be at least a LITTLE fun to drive (I've never driven an Italian car that wasn't).

I remember they had the cheapest-looking seats I've ever seen...thin terrycloth, like a Kmart bath towel.

Wolfhound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2001 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WolfhoundClick Here to visit Wolfhound's HomePageSend a Private Message to WolfhoundDirect Link to This Post
That car was soooooo bad they sent the Air force in to smart bomb the factory out of existence.
Butter

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 91
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2001 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ButterSend a Private Message to ButterDirect Link to This Post
I have to give those Yugo people a little credit. They've been the center of some good jokes and they may have created a new car game "what's gonna' break this week?". An aquaintance had one that my friends and I tried to guess the problems before they happened. They made great excuses like, Dear where were you last night? Replied, I was broke down in the Yugo and Billy Bob tried all night long to fix it in the dark. We knew Billy Bob was cheep cause he couldn't help a fart out of a whirl wind.
fierohoho

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2001 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierohohoSend a Private Message to fierohohoDirect Link to This Post
OK, in a lame attempt at my defense, it was an OK car considering it only cost $4,000.00 new.

I put in an aftermarket stereo and two speakers in the front doors. That was what was cool about the car. The wiring was already there for everything, all I had to do was the hookups, no wires to run.

The mileage was fair and mine ran good until the accident.

All I can say is that for the price it was a good investment in cheap reliable transportation at the time.

Much thanks for going easy on me everyone.

LarryB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2001 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LarryBSend a Private Message to LarryBDirect Link to This Post
It's not that lame. When the Yugo came out the next cheapest car out there sold for $5,300 - over 40% more than the Yugo. For those of you who can remember that far back this was a couple of years before Hyundai entered the US market.

It was a shame the quality didn't match the price, since I can remember there has always been a smallish but steady market here for a decent low-cost no-frills basic automobile. Think of the '60s version of the VW Beetle.

84Bill

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 461
User Banned

Report this Post06-15-2001 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84BillClick Here to visit 84Bill's HomePageSend a Private Message to 84BillDirect Link to This Post
A few years ago I thaught my left rear brake caliper was dragging. Upon closer inspection I found a Yugo jammed between the fenderwell and tire. I removed the Yugo and the thankfull driver threw me a tip for the ride.
Voytek

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2001 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VoytekSend a Private Message to VoytekDirect Link to This Post
The Yugo was actually supposed to be a half decent car for the price. It was actually designed by Innocenti, an italian automaker owned by DeTomaso (same people who brought us the Pantera) and made in Yugoslavia (as the name suggests).
I think the only car that ever came close to this kind of value was the Lada. You could buy a brand new Samara up here in '91/'92 for about $6500 CDN. This car had some neat options like headlights adjustable from the inside of the car with a little lever, and headlight wiper blades (normally reserved for Volvos and Mercedes).

------------------

Formula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2001 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Is it just me or does the Yugo look like a bastard child of a Fiat Strada and older Volkswagen Rabbit?

I remember people ragging on them on the car lot. The car never had any respect, regardless if it was any good or not.

stimpy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 386
User Banned

Report this Post06-15-2001 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stimpySend a Private Message to stimpyDirect Link to This Post
Voytek, the Innocenti was actually a Mini with Italian coachwork. Looked, well, a bit like the Yugo I guess. The Yugo design was actually the Fiat Panda. My best friend had an 87 Yugo. It actually was a decent car, although the suspension completely bottomed out with anyone in the back seat.

Anyone remember the Yugo Cabrio?

PFF
System Bot
Pontiaddict

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2001 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PontiaddictSend a Private Message to PontiaddictDirect Link to This Post
The Yugo was not the only car to go off the Mackinac bridge. There were a few others. But none that you could say the name was made for it though. "Yugo off the Macinac Bridge!"
A friend of mine had one in high school. One day a about 6 people picked it up and set it in the back of a pickup truck.

I think that they get a worse rap than they deserve, but it's not really anyones dream car.

Cheever2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2001 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever2Send a Private Message to Cheever2Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierohoho:
mine ran good until the accident.
You survived an accident in a Yugo? What hit you, a Radio Flyer?

Voytek2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2001 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Voytek2Send a Private Message to Voytek2Direct Link to This Post
Stimpy: I'll check on that and get back to you. On a rare occasion, I HAVE been known to be wrong.
Voytek2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2001 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Voytek2Send a Private Message to Voytek2Direct Link to This Post

Voytek2

13 posts
Member since Jun 2001
Stimpy: I'll check on that and get back to you. On a rare occasion, I HAVE been known to be wrong.
kslish

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2001 01:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kslishSend a Private Message to kslishDirect Link to This Post
Yep, the Yugo was based on a Fiat design. I like the "sport" model:

Gotta love the tack on body cladding.

Here is something interesting I found on the web... The Yugo is back in production now that they have rebuilt part of the factory after being bombed during the military unrest in Yugoslavia. They made like 8000 of them last year and it was reintroduced at the Belgrade Auto Show:

This slightly redesigned version of the old Yugo is now known as the Yugo Koral.

And they are actually considering importing their new design to the U.S.:

It's called the Yugo Florida, and it's powered by the engine out of a Fiat Bravo (puts out a massive 60hp).

This is probably more about the current status of the Yugo than everyone wanted to know....

Ken S.

mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2001 01:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by stimpy:

Anyone remember the Yugo Cabrio?

I do! They are actually pretty "rare".....less than 100 were built in 1990 before the factory shut down (due to that nasty war).

If you watch the movie "Birdcage" with Robin Williams & Nathan Lane you will see a Yugo Cabriolet. I can't remember the exact scene, but it's an outside shot of the club......it pans along the street to the entrance of the club.

The cabriolet was actually a prety cool looking car, but it was still a Yugo. I drove one when I was a valet/parking lot attendant.......it was the worst thing I have ever driven (and I owned a Pinto!). For such a small car it had a turning radius wider than most big trucks, plus the spare tire is directly on top of the engine!

BTW......they had 4 cyl motors (1.2 L, I believe). I still see some driving around, which is amazing considering the poor constuction and lack of replacement parts.

[This message has been edited by mrfiero (edited 06-16-2001).]

JSocha

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2001 01:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JSochaSend a Private Message to JSochaDirect Link to This Post

Hey guys, I'm going to throw a "barbie" this weekend in the back of that YUGO Bar-B-Q and your all invited!

I just need the key to open the deck lid in the rear to throw in some charcoal!

Well! Thats what it looks like with that handle in the back, the grill's lid handle!

------------------

fierohoho

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2001 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierohohoSend a Private Message to fierohohoDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the new millenium.

We have a member who has seen "Birdcage".

How thweet.

------------------
'84 SE 2.5l
'86 SE 2.5l

hugh

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2001 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hughSend a Private Message to hughDirect Link to This Post
Why did they put rear window defrosters on the Yugo?
mblackwell

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2001 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mblackwellSend a Private Message to mblackwellDirect Link to This Post
To keep your hands warm in the winter. Har Har Har.
PFF
System Bot
hugh

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2001 07:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hughSend a Private Message to hughDirect Link to This Post
While you were pushing it!
Voytek2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2001 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Voytek2Send a Private Message to Voytek2Direct Link to This Post
Ok Stimpy. I checked it out. FYI: This is from the World Encyclopedia of Cars: Innocenti was making cars under license for BMC, such as the Mini and others. They continued to make those cars while they were bought by DeTomaso. Later they were bought by Fiat. Innocenti is the same division of Fiat that made the Yugo while under the Fiat marque. Close enough, right?
isthiswhereiputausername?

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 155
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2001 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for isthiswhereiputausername?Send a Private Message to isthiswhereiputausername?Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierohoho:
Welcome to the new millenium.

We have a member who has seen "Birdcage".

How thweet.

LOL

RaidenCobra

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2001 01:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaidenCobraSend a Private Message to RaidenCobraDirect Link to This Post
Oh yes, Good old yugo's...
I got to drive a bunch last summer when i visited my grandparents and other family with my mother in Yugoslavia.. They were kinda cool at the time since I didn't have my licence and actually got to drive..
I still remeber being taught how to drive a stick in Serbian, that was funny..
Anyways i would never buy one..
Too slow for me!
frontal lobe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 166
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2001 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for frontal lobeSend a Private Message to frontal lobeDirect Link to This Post
Ah yes, the Yugo. Fifties technology for the 80's--wasn't that there motto?

The Yugo was one of the first new cars that made you WANT to buy a used car instead. THAT is why you deserve WAY more grief than you are getting. But, I'M not going to give you grief because if you had the COURAGE to own and drive a Yugo, you are a better man than I.

bHooper

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2001 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bHooperSend a Private Message to bHooperDirect Link to This Post
well... if you owned a yugo, you'll love this thread!
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum6/HTML/001619.html
Jimmy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2001 04:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySend a Private Message to JimmyDirect Link to This Post
I just now read this thread. Fierohoho you crack me up! Seriously, what was the accident? Did a guy on a bike t-bone you? LOL I think you were safer in those go-karts then you were in your Yugo!

Jim

fierohoho

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2001 08:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierohohoSend a Private Message to fierohohoDirect Link to This Post
bHooper, that thread with the pictures was awsome and no Jimmy it wasn't a bike that t-boned me I t-boned an Impala and yes the go-karts would have come out better, I think the engines had the same out put also.

Missed you at the meeting monday where were you?

------------------
'84 SE 2.5l
'86 SE 2.5l

ferg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2001 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fergSend a Private Message to fergDirect Link to This Post
Last night I'm driving home from work and what do I pass? A YUGO!

I was surprised to see how well the body has held up over the years. It had quite a bit of rust, but considering the area I live in it's surprising the car had any solid body panels at all.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock