Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Krispy Kreme... Can any donut live up to the hype?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Krispy Kreme... Can any donut live up to the hype? by stimpy
Started on: 06-05-2001 09:04 AM
Replies: 35
Last post by: Ken Wittlief on 06-08-2001 08:54 AM
stimpy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 386
User Banned

Report this Post06-05-2001 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for stimpySend a Private Message to stimpyDirect Link to This Post
Oklahoma City finally got a Krispy Kreme. I figured I'd pop down & pick up a breakfast snack for the wife & I. I'd heard that these joins attract a crowd & I assumed I'd be waiting in a decent sized line.
HOLY SHI-ITE! There was a line of cars PARKED for a half mile down the road. I haven't seen a line like that since the gas station was giving out free gas last summer. I'm sorry, but for that kind of wait, that donut better be multi talented, if you get my drift.

------------------
Loud Pipes Save Lives!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FieroJoe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2001 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJoeSend a Private Message to FieroJoeDirect Link to This Post
I've never ever seen a krispy kreme place ever. Maybe their doughnuts are just really loaded with fried lard to make them taste so good. I always go for the Quality Dairy doughnuts, they taste great to me.

------------------

'87 Coupe 5spd.
AIM:FieroJoe87

deceler8

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2001 09:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for deceler8Send a Private Message to deceler8Direct Link to This Post
They do live up to the hype, but only if you can get them warm right out of the fryer.

Some places sell them cold in a display, and these are pretty good, but not like the real McCoys.

And they're not the kind of thing you can eat every day and expect to live long and prosper, if you get my drift.

Ken Wittlief

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 142
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2001 09:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Ken WittliefSend a Private Message to Ken WittliefDirect Link to This Post
We had one open here about six months ago - same deal - the line wasnt down the street, but there were lines out the door for months.

Its funny cause we had a couple of Dunkin Doughnuts places CLOSE down here in the last few years - people in this neck of the woods are going more for fresh bagels than doughnuts lately.

One of the attractions of Crispy Cremes is the conveyor belt machine you can see throught the glass windows, you can watch the big machine make the doughnuts.

and I think they use 100% cane sugar instead of sugar from sugarbeets (no corn syrup!) and they use other 'quality' ingrediants too.

So maybe they do taste a little better.

But I think if you put a bunch of doughnuts in front of me from there, and from the supermarket, and from dunkin doughnuts, after the 2nd one I would not notice the difference

and after the third one I would still get a sugar crash in 30 minutes and would want to take a nap.

Dont stand in the line, wait a few months, it will settle down. But ya still gotta go at least once - its a social thing now.

personally I would rather have a bagel and creme cheese myself - I hate to eat anything anymore that makes you feel crappy for the next few hours:

sugary doughnuts, anything from McDonalds, twinkies, Slurpies from 7-11 (even though I love em)...

FieroJoe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2001 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJoeSend a Private Message to FieroJoeDirect Link to This Post
Oh man I love McDonalds! Except the onions on the burgers, yuck! I usually ask to have them taken off, but it takes them so long to make it I sometimes dont bother.

Anybody have a Hot 'N Now near them? I really like it, really cheap stuff, good ole greasy fast food! Mmmmmmmm!

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2001 09:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by deceler8:
They do live up to the hype, but only if you can get them warm right out of the fryer.

I'll second that. After they got cold, the suger tends to make them get "soggy".

There's a Krispy Kreme just up the street from my building. Been there forever. Might even be the original.
Not a big deal, though. Kind of like that whole "Coors" thing. People used to go nuts over Coors. Now that it's available in Atlanta, it is not considered any better than most any other beer.

------------------
Raydar - aka Steve

Black 88 Formula.
Red 88 Duke coupe. "The Project"
88 Formula parts car. "The Donor"

Ken Wittlief

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2001 09:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Ken WittliefSend a Private Message to Ken WittliefDirect Link to This Post
I dont eat at McDonalds anymore since my son had dinner at one in Orlando, and had diarehhia and nausia for 24 hours after - wouldnt have been such a bad thing by itself but it forced him and my wife to spend the WHOLE last day of our vaction at Disney world stuck in the hotel.

Now that sucks! They owe me big time.

FieroJoe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2001 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJoeSend a Private Message to FieroJoeDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, getting sick on vacations are definatly no fun at all. I don't think that I have ever gotten ill while we were away somewhere.

Last spring break we went to Winter Park, CO to go snowboarding, and my friends dad got sick from the altitude for 3 days. He only got a couple of hours of skiing in before we had to leave. For some reason, I didnt notice the difference in altitude at all.

Ken Wittlief

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2001 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ken WittliefSend a Private Message to Ken WittliefDirect Link to This Post
See thats the difference between your dad and John Denver - the first time Denver got altitude sickness he called it something poetic, wrote a song about it and made millions of dollars.

your dad just got sick for 3 days and went home.

altitude sickness is nasty stuff BTW, you can die from it.

deceler8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2001 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for deceler8Send a Private Message to deceler8Direct Link to This Post
Didn't John Denver die of altitude sickness...as in sudden loss of ?

Sorry, but I thought he was pretensious and a phony environmentalist. After all, he did have a 5,000 gallon fuel tank installed at his house during the oil embargo.

Ken Wittlief

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2001 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ken WittliefSend a Private Message to Ken WittliefDirect Link to This Post
yeah and the sincerety of all those great love songs kinda paled when it became obvious he was...

well lets just say when his marriage went down the tubes - apparently filling up his senses like a night in the forest wasnt good enough.

PFF
System Bot
kslish

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2001 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kslishSend a Private Message to kslishDirect Link to This Post
They are planning on opening up a few Krispy Kremes in Pittsburgh over the next year or so. Definately good donuts though....I always get them when I visit my grandmother in Ohio. The one in Portsmouth has been there since the 50's.

Ken S.

Steve Normington

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 155
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2001 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steve NormingtonSend a Private Message to Steve NormingtonDirect Link to This Post
It's the same with In-N-Out Burger. One opened up near my work. 9:00 am, there is a line of people that wraps around the entire store.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2001 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Like everything else, there not nearly as good as they were a few years ago. I never wait in those long lines for anything, I just move on down the road.
Black88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2001 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Black88GTSend a Private Message to Black88GTDirect Link to This Post
Nothing is fresh as a box of KRISPY KREME!

We have about 3 or 4 stores around here. They are the best donuts ever. At first there was long lines but that was just because of there only being one store, now with 3 or 4 its not too bad.

Only thing is, they don't have the selection that dunkin donuts does. But I would still go to Krispy Kreme anyway.

stimpy

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-05-2001 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stimpySend a Private Message to stimpyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Steve Normington:
It's the same with In-N-Out Burger. One opened up near my work. 9:00 am, there is a line of people that wraps around the entire store.

Now, In-n-Out is definately worth the hype. I'd give every Sonic in Oklahoma City for just one In-n-Out location. Same with Round Table Pizza. But Krispy Kreme has to compete with our local Mom and Pop for my business. They always have hot donuts available and are lighter then air. Mmmmmmm, dough-nut!

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2001 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
stimpy, I lived in Okla city for 6 years while I was in the Air Force. MY favorite place there was Del Rancho on South Western. I loved those BBQ burgers. I visited my kids there and first place I stopped when I got to the city was there-for dinner.
Philphine

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2001 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineDirect Link to This Post
krispy kreme's been around as long as i can remember here with quite a few locations so i've never had to wait beyond a couple of people. they are good though. i never get more than 3 or 4 'cause i want them as fresh as possible. if i wanted more (dought that i could take more than that anyway), i'd go back later.
JSocha

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2001 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JSochaSend a Private Message to JSochaDirect Link to This Post
<yelling at the top of my lungs>

HOT DONUTS!

GET YOUR FRESH, HOT, DONUTS!

HOT DONUTS!
-----------------
Speaking of which (and not knowing the whole story behind this donut thing), but why hasn't Galen responded to this thread regarding the donuts?

Wish our state would get a Krispy Kreme. Seen an episode recently on Food TV where they talked about fresh hot donuts and KK!

HOT DONUTS!

GET YOUR FRESH, HOT, DONUTS!

------------------

Galen
No longer registered
Report this Post06-05-2001 10:01 PM   Send a Private Message to JSochaDirect Link to This Post
just be careful not to break them

------------------
Galen - 1988 Hawaiian Orchid Coupe Auto 4Banger - My Fiero Website
AIM: WookieeNC

bHooper

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2001 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bHooperSend a Private Message to bHooperDirect Link to This Post
Krispy Kreme's are awesome... although i haven't eaten a plain donut in 20 years (since i sold 200 box's as a fund raiser for explorer scouts!... i am now allergic to them)... i only eat the chocolote covered Kreme filled ones... mmmmm mmmmm!

but maybe i'm partial to em, as they are a NC original!

------------------
hoop
Red '86 GT 5 speed
*Black '86 SE Automatic

PFF
System Bot
Songman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2001 01:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
I got two words to answer this topic....

HELL YEAH!

------------------

Tennessee Fiero Owners

Eric

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2001 07:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for EricSend a Private Message to EricDirect Link to This Post
I always thought Krispy Kreme donuts suck. There was a fat contractor who would always bring a couple dozen to our jobsites. Most of the time, half wouldn't even get eaten. We used to throw them at eachother while we were playing up in the rafters These were fairly fresh, not hot, but still fresh. The glazed ones just seemed so heavy and sugary. Maybe they were glazed cake donuts... I don't really remember. They make me sick just thinking about them.
LZeitgeist

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2001 08:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistDirect Link to This Post
The standard Krispy Kreme raised, glazed doughnuts are awesome... with regular sugar glaze, chocolate, sprinkles, etc. etc.... hmmm.... gonna have to stop by there and have some doughnuts for lunch today.

Cake doughnuts suck. <bleah>

fierohoho

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2001 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierohohoSend a Private Message to fierohohoDirect Link to This Post
Stimpy, any cops in line, just curious if I knew anyone there.

------------------
'84 SE 2.5l
'85 Coupe 2.5l now getting a 3800
'86 SE 2.5l

88CoupeV6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2001 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88CoupeV6Click Here to visit 88CoupeV6's HomePageSend a Private Message to 88CoupeV6Direct Link to This Post
There are none around here yet, Just D&D.

------------------
Josh (known by TheFiero64 for first 1239 posts)

My pics

saleenfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2001 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for saleenfieroSend a Private Message to saleenfieroDirect Link to This Post
Can someone give me the 411 on what the hell a Krisy Kreme douighnut is?
stimpy

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-07-2001 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stimpySend a Private Message to stimpyDirect Link to This Post
It's a donut made and sold at a Krispy Kreme store. Kinda like asking what a McDonalds hamburger is. Apparently the attraction is you get an extremely fresh donut. It's gonna be a while before I try on because of those stinkin lines. Cars are still lined up for HUNDEREDS OF YARDS DOWN THE DANG STREET! Unh-uh.
Black88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2001 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Black88GTSend a Private Message to Black88GTDirect Link to This Post
stimpy, he's canadian, give him a break....

Ken Wittlief

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2001 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ken WittliefSend a Private Message to Ken WittliefDirect Link to This Post
my granmother use to live across the street when i was a kid

home made doughnuts every once in a while - put em in a bag and shook them with powdered sugar or cinamin and sugar.

If we saw her coming across the street with a paper bag in her hand we would intercept her on the front porch - doughnuts wouldnt even make it into the house.

krispy Kremes has nothing on Grandma!

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2001 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 88CoupeV6:
There are none around here yet, Just D&D.

D&D...
Drunk & Disorderly?

------------------
Raydar - aka Steve

Black 88 Formula.
Red 88 Duke coupe. "The Project"
88 Formula parts car. "The Donor"

PFF
System Bot
fierohoho

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2001 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierohohoSend a Private Message to fierohohoDirect Link to This Post
D&D? Dunkin Donuts? I don't know the what D&D stands for, clue me in.
grinthock

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2001 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grinthockClick Here to visit grinthock's HomePageSend a Private Message to grinthockDirect Link to This Post
What the F*** IS A KRISPIE KREME!?!? And why are they THAT popular... Now then again we have Tim Hortons here... (Canada), there are areas where there is 4 tim hortons on the SAME Street corner (one on each corner!)

Honestly it's NUTS! You could open one ANYWHERE and make money! They sell stuff like coffe and donuts.

DJRice

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 55
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2001 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DJRiceSend a Private Message to DJRiceDirect Link to This Post
DONT YOU DARE TAKE THAT TONE WHEN DISCUSSING A KRISPY KREME DONUT. KRISPY KREME DONUTS COULD VERY WELL BE THE FINEST DONUTS EVER BAKED....

Show some respect, you animal!

(j/k)

--
Dillon

kslish

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2001 01:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kslishSend a Private Message to kslishDirect Link to This Post
I've been to one of those Tim Horton's stores. They ain't no Krispy Kreme.

Ken S.

Ken Wittlief

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2001 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Ken WittliefSend a Private Message to Ken WittliefDirect Link to This Post
Tim Hortons has a weird starchy/raw flower taste that coats your mouth funny - there is a local donut shop like that here too, all the donuts taste the same.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock