Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  What is the stupidest thing you ever did to your car? (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
What is the stupidest thing you ever did to your car? by Ken Wittlief
Started on: 06-05-2001 08:37 AM
Replies: 56
Last post by: 87 Pegasus on 06-10-2001 10:59 PM
dr fritz

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2001 01:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dr fritzSend a Private Message to dr fritzDirect Link to This Post
The stupidist thing i ever did.... i wont print the whole list....

let a saab technician work on it... but this wasnt the worst... #1 answer is... lent it to a friend...

IP: Logged
Ken Wittlief

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 142
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2001 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Ken WittliefSend a Private Message to Ken WittliefDirect Link to This Post
55psi in the fiero tires?

when I was in the coast guard, back in '77, we got a small car for a while when our van was in for maintaince.

one of the other 'kids' took it for gas and noticed the tires looked a little low.

so he pumped up all 4 till they looked right.

this is back when radials were first coming out - regular tires dont buldge out like that at the bottoms, so he pumped them up till they didnt look buldgy anymore.

I checked the pressure, they were all around 70 psi!

and they were firestone 500's too.

when a friend of mine was about 3, his dad had an engine out of the car, with the heads off, in the garage.

he brought buckets of sand from his sandbox and filled in all the 'holes' in the motor for his dad, to fix the holes.

the piston cylinders and all the cooling passages, and got it all nice and even and smooth where the heads mate.

Ken Wittlief

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 142
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2001 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Ken WittliefSend a Private Message to Ken WittliefDirect Link to This Post

Ken Wittlief

8410 posts
Member since Apr 2001
can you just imagine that? You come back from the auto parts store with your new head gaskets and clutch plate in hand, and walk over to the V8, thinking, about 5 hrs and ill have this puppy back in the car...
Fiero5

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 367
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2001 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero5Click Here to visit Fiero5's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero5Direct Link to This Post
Well, Phil must have seen this thread yet.

He was telling us this story the other day at the POCI show in RI.

He had stopped at this gas station while on the Hot Rod Power Tour. He was still out west, like in New Mexico or something. You know, out in the middle of know where. He get's out of the yellow Formula and leaves his door open, reaches in and pops the gas door open. He pulls the gas hose off the pump, and as he is taking gas tank cap off, the person inside the gas station turns on the gas pump for him. He didn't realize the pump handle was still locked in the open position. Before he knew it he had 3 gallons of gas sprayed all over the interior of his Fiero.

Steve

------------------

http://www.kelleyfamilyfieros.homestead.com/index.html

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2001 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
I parked my car in the drive in front of my garage door (its like an 'L' drive)
after working on a van, i used the opener and backed out, my cars too low to see in the mirror and I backed rite into the side, lucky it wasnt too bad, cracked the glass around gas filler, had to fix and repaint qtr panel. Now I dont ever park in front of my door (hint to Lisa)

------------------

Mach10

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2001 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mach10Send a Private Message to Mach10Direct Link to This Post
1) Finally got the Jag tranny in, after a long sojourn at the transmission rebuilders. Put the damn thing in, get the engine fired up, (this is in the garage) and put through each gear to prime it. Turn it off, check for leaks. Nothing, so far, so good. Look through the manual, and see the list of diagnostics. Tq converter was rebuilt also, so I decided to test that first. Stall test. So, I jump in, start the car, put it in gear, stomp the brakes and hammer the gas. Jag's got a locking diff. As far as I know (we sold the house) the skid marks from my "burnout" are still in the garage...

2) Same car, have it up on ramps, doing the e-brake. Get it fixed (sort of) and hop in to take the car down. Put in gear, doesn't move. The ramps have a depression, so I thought that was it. I give it some gas. The car just rocks a little. I give it some more. Suddenly, I hear a shriek, and the back end drops like a stone, just as I hear a huge bang and a drawn out crash. I left the chocks on the front wheels, and the beast had spat the ramps from under me, demolishing a tool rack, cracking a wall, and damaging a lawn mower...

Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2001 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
Left the detachable faceplate in the car for some jerk to steal. Keeping the doors locked now.
And I know the cow has already gotten out.

[This message has been edited by Jake_Dragon (edited 06-07-2001).]

85Josh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2001 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85JoshSend a Private Message to 85JoshDirect Link to This Post
Lost all the intake manifold bolts on a 79 Mustang w/60 degree V6. I could only find about half of the metric bolts at my small-town hardware store, so I used a small c-clamp to hold the manifold down till I got to a bigger town. Blew the manifold through the hood when it backfired! I got another one (and the bolts!) from a junkyard, and told my friend that the hole was a hoodscoop in progress!

------------------
85 2M4(Lil' Bit)

Loki

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2001 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LokiSend a Private Message to LokiDirect Link to This Post
Well this one falls on my ex..I had got her an 88 Nova..And she checked the water in the rad once and forgot to put the cap back on..Well no harm done...Then, SHE DID IT AGIAN!!!!!!! Uhg...Cept this time she warped the head. Hehe needles to say I took it away

------------------
Loki
ICQ# 16477998

DecadenceR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2001 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DecadenceRClick Here to visit DecadenceR's HomePageSend a Private Message to DecadenceRDirect Link to This Post
Hmmm...
Let's see...

Working at Firestone, I did an oil change and started the car. Puddle of oil everwhere. Turns out the old seal on the oil filter was still stuck to the block.

did the brakes on my 90 eclipse and thought I tightened all the lugs correctly. Key word: thought. I wondered what the "whop whop whop whop" sound was on the way to my GF's house at the time...

Let my friend work on my Z28 with me. We put $3000 of parts in it just for him to snap the oil sending switch and fill it up with RTV and not tell me...

And I'm not even gonna start with how many "Wow.. what's this?" stories I have...
I'm 22. You'd think I'd learn by now.

Patrick's Dad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2001 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Patrick's DadClick Here to visit Patrick's Dad's HomePageSend a Private Message to Patrick's DadDirect Link to This Post
Oh, yeah, I forgot about running my mom's SC2 over the ramps....

Also, finally borrowed a Snap-On shop jack from a friend (See "I don't know jack...." thread) and got the Fiero up in the air. While lifting the rear end, one of the control arms settled into the jackstand. All I could think about was Lisa's post:

"Made my car fall of jackstands,...."

PFF
System Bot
danny boy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2001 05:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for danny boySend a Private Message to danny boyDirect Link to This Post
Needed to turn my coupe around in the garage. Hmm, garage not big enough to. So I decided to push it out into the driveway. Still couldn't do what I needed to do cause the driveway is sloped and I'd never push it back uphill myself. Dad shows up. so we decide to pull the car out, hook a chain to it and pull it up the hill with his truck. This car at the time had no engine.I bolted the subframe in just to move the car around. We pull the car up the hill a ways and I get in to drift it back down, across the driveway and into the garage like I had done so many other cars. He pulled me up the hill a little too far so I went to brake to slow down.Forgot I had no brakes. Ended up somehow getting into the driveway and into the garage...at 25mph. Result? one bumper cover,one passenger fender,both front side marker lights, one qtr patch panel for dads Nova, one Craftsman toolbox and 6 cinder blocks in the back wall. Oh, and sprained wrists and sore arms from bracing for impact. Wrecked the car And I still have never driven it.
84Bill

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 461
User Banned

Report this Post06-09-2001 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84BillClick Here to visit 84Bill's HomePageSend a Private Message to 84BillDirect Link to This Post
1. Used up a gallon of brake fluid, 1 master cylinder and 2 wheel cylinders in a VW rabbit trieing to bleed the brakes. only to find a pinhole leak under the carpet.

2.Pulled the latch to a T Top at 40 MPH in my 79 Camaro

3.Gave the 79 Camaro away!

4.Let an inexpierenced driver in my 74 Camaro back out of a parking spot. instead she drove over a tire stop, curb and right thru the fence directly in front of us.

5.Believed my cousin Bob when he said "I wont beat it" and let him drive my dune buggy (60 bug, fenders lopped off and oversized tires on backwards mounted rims ) He did not give up even after the hood flew open and blocked his view (just stuck his head out the side window) but the 3 flats finaly did .
That was the most horrific, funnest ride in a dune buggy I ever had took me days to fix everthing.

Rex

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2001 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RexSend a Private Message to RexDirect Link to This Post
My son killed his new ford ranger truck
by "changing motor oil"
step#1 drain oil
step#2 remove and change filter
Step#3 add new oil
Step#4 road test
what is missing here?.........Right! he should have checked the oil,he would have discovered he drained the transmission and added 5 more qts. of oil to a full crankcase.
not far into his drive the trans started to make a grinding noise and oil comming out from all over.Awww to be 18 again and know it all LOL
Rex

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2001 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RexSend a Private Message to RexDirect Link to This Post

Rex

152 posts
Member since Apr 2001
My son killed his new ford ranger truck
by "changing motor oil"
step#1 drain oil
step#2 remove and change filter
Step#3 add new oil
Step#4 road test
what is missing here?.........Right! he should have checked the oil,he would have discovered he drained the transmission and added 5 more qts. of oil to a full crankcase.
not far into his drive the trans started to make a grinding noise and oil comming out from all over.Awww to be 18 again and know it all LOL
Mach10

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2001 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mach10Send a Private Message to Mach10Direct Link to This Post
My brother owns an 88 Dodge Raider. He's mechanically retarded. You know, gas goes in, mileage goes out?

So anyway, the engine has a known oil leak from the head. Nothing serious, but steady. Maybe a quart per month? At one point, while offroading, he breaks the exhaust pipe, so this thing is LOUD. This guy never checks the fluids, and when the engine starts getting loud (low oil) he'd top it off. Well, he didn't hear it 'cos the pipe was broken. So he didn't hear the engine start to tick, then tap, and then knock. So my little brother takes it out to do a grocery run, and on the way back, on the highway, the engine--finally out of oil--seizes solid. Too bad it's a four-wheel drive, and a standard. The torque from the wheels forced the engine to free up, with interesting results. Car rolls to a stop. My brother cranks it, and AMAZINGLY it starts, but sounds WEIRD. And louder. he limps it 3 blocks home, having "all the power of a lawnmower." I come out to help diagnose it, and lift the hood. Antifreeze and oil everywhere. I look closer, and say "Here's the problem!" as I pull a complete connecting rod and piston out of the skidpan.
"Where'd THAT come from?!?" was the reply.
"Oh, probably from that gaping hole in the block right there..."

87 Pegasus

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2001 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87 PegasusSend a Private Message to 87 PegasusDirect Link to This Post
I took my Fiero to Firestone. I needed my timing gear replaced. LONG story short, they f**ked up, I got screwed, NEVER going there again.....
If only I had listened to my girlfriend.

------------------
Friends don't let friends drive Corvettes!!

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock