Welding by kinboyatuwo
Started on: 06-03-2001 09:36 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: FieroJoe on 06-05-2001 09:26 AM
kinboyatuwo

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2001 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kinboyatuwoSend a Private Message to kinboyatuwoDirect Link to This Post
Just wondering if anyone out there had welding knowledge, been a while and don't have my books near.

will a portable mig welder weld a 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick stainless. I think that there are problems. I weld steel a lot and remember something quirky about stainless steel welding, temp or something.

any help or advice would be great

thanks
chris

kinboyatuwo@yahoo.com

------------------
"Friends don't let friends drive four doors."

87 Duke, 235,000km

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Phil

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2001 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilSend a Private Message to PhilDirect Link to This Post
You have to use staight argon not argon/co2 mix
operator64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2001 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for operator64Send a Private Message to operator64Direct Link to This Post
You could probably get the 1/8 done easy enough with the portable you may be pushing it to get the 1/4 done with it depending on the size of the portable. If all else fails you could go with a stick welder if you want, you don't have to worry about buying a bottle of argon for a small project.
kinboyatuwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2001 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kinboyatuwoSend a Private Message to kinboyatuwoDirect Link to This Post
Thats what i thought. I didnt think i used argon the last time that i did a small job.

thanks for all the help, any other advice would be great.

chris

------------------
"Friends don't let friends drive four doors."

87 Duke, 235,000km

Steve Normington

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 155
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2001 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steve NormingtonSend a Private Message to Steve NormingtonDirect Link to This Post
I've been welding 1/8 mild steel with 100 amp Mig welder. I don't think that you can do anything thicker or stainless with that amperage.

BTW, I'm using flux core wire, so no gas.

cadaver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2001 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cadaverSend a Private Message to cadaverDirect Link to This Post
in my opinion flux cores wire sucks. I would rather go with gas anytime. You get better welds. And they certianly are neater.
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2001 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
When appearance counts Tig is the way to go.
Flux core is ok and looks better if you run it along with a shielding gas. Not all wire is the same make sure it matches what you are welding or it will color differently when polished.
FieroJoe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2001 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJoeSend a Private Message to FieroJoeDirect Link to This Post
Also remember that your welds arent going to be stainless either, you'll want to protect the welds or they'll rust while the rest of the metal doesnt.

Stainless, when heated, will also make some funky gases. Make sure you do this outside or have really good ventilation.

------------------

'87 Coupe 5spd.
AIM:FieroJoe87

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock