and I thought my Formula's suspension was stiff by fiero56
Started on: 05-21-2001 08:48 PM
Replies: 5
Last post by: Wade87GT on 05-22-2001 06:01 PM
fiero56

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2001 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero56Send a Private Message to fiero56Direct Link to This Post
Was on my way to class this morning, had just gotten in the right turn only lane and found myself stuck behind the lowest riding CRX I have ever seen in my life. It was literally almost dragging on the ground. The driver took the right turn at litterally 5mph, maybe the car was too low to corner well without bottoming on something(I was lugging 2nd gear). After we got around the corner, he starts dodging all over the lane, avoiding the "big" bumps in the road(man-hole covers), but it didn't work. He was hitting invisible(to me and my pants) bumps, the little CRX literally leaving the ground, the seat-belt keeping the driver in his seat. He was bouncing all over inside that car. I was laughing so hard I was almost crying. I wonder once he installed/cut the springs, if he was saying, "this is stupid, why did I do this?". I can't imagine that guy ever getting his girlfriend to ride in that car. Or, take the thing cross country .
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2001 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
A few years ago there was a sound-off competition at one of the Hi-Fi Buys stores near me. Attracted all sorts of attention.
One guy in particular was in a slammed, ratted out, red-primer Mazda pickup. He got stuck on a little speedbump in the parking lot. Had to back up and go around. Laughed my @ss off.

------------------
Raydar - aka Steve

88 black Formula
88 Duke coupe
88 "wadded up" Formula (parts car)

Wade87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2001 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Wade87GTSend a Private Message to Wade87GTDirect Link to This Post
Instead of laughing maybe you could have some pity for the poor impressionable dreamer. I've spent big, big, bucks on a complete aftermarket suspension "upgrade" for my GT. The first drive was not unlike the CRX pilot you observed. I've been doing alot of trial and (mostly) error adjustments trying to find the right setup. Each change requires a 4-wheel alignment. Excellent suspension stuff for the track or autocrossing, but absolutely not for the street. I hardly enjoy driving my Fiero anymore because it's such a chore. But, at least the car LOOKS great.
bHooper

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2001 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bHooperSend a Private Message to bHooperDirect Link to This Post
i too spent some $ on my GT. installed Eibach's and KYB's and poly everything. i enjoy the car, i have a few squeak's to work out b4 the final alignment, but i love it. as for bottoming out... it has to be areally bad rut in the road for that.

now, the SE that i just got, it is lowered with spindles in the front and ST springs in the rear... that sucker bottoms out in the front so bad, that the tires hit the inner well!

------------------
hoop
Red '86 GT 5 speed
*Black '86 SE Automatic

fiero56

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2001 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero56Send a Private Message to fiero56Direct Link to This Post
I bet that guy could easily find a set of stock springs in a yard for under $50 and restore the driveability of the car(maybe he likes more air-time than seat-time ). If he has the ability to change them out/cut them, he probably is able to restore it.
Wade87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2001 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Wade87GTSend a Private Message to Wade87GTDirect Link to This Post
Hoop,

Let me know if you want to sell your drop spindles. I need more punishment.

Wade

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock