Started on: 05-20-2001 09:06 PM
Replies: 5
Last post by: Sootah on 05-21-2001 10:59 PM
hugh

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2001 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hughSend a Private Message to hughDirect Link to This Post
We don't get the coverage about happenings in other parts of the country in the detail that the locals get.I heard on the news of the conviction of a Mormon convicted of polygamy.It seems to me the only people unhappy with his living arrangement are government employees.Now he faces up to 25 years imprisonment.Something just doesn't seem right when the government(meaning those in office now) can decide what is important enough to prosecute and then throw the full weight of the governments resources at it.Now I don't have the full story so there may be more to this than I know of.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
DaRkLoRD

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2001 12:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DaRkLoRDSend a Private Message to DaRkLoRDDirect Link to This Post
I saw that on the news as well, and I wondered the same thing.. there has to be something else to the case, 25 years for simply having more than one wife, is just bizarre... and totally inappropriate. What business is it of the government's if a person wants to have multiple wives? If they're all cool with it, what's the problem? (and yes, I am aware of the age of the youngest one. my statement still stands.)

------------------
steve@fieroproject.com
http://www.fieroproject.com

Sootah

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2001 02:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SootahClick Here to visit Sootah's HomePageSend a Private Message to SootahDirect Link to This Post
I actually think that the reason that he was put away was not the number of his "wifes". (They are not legally married, the first one is and the rest get some special cerimony that has no official meaning) The actual reason was that he took a 13 year old as his "wife" and so they are nailing him for statitory rape, or something to that effect.

------------------
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience

DaRkLoRD

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2001 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DaRkLoRDSend a Private Message to DaRkLoRDDirect Link to This Post
see above statement. heh

------------------
steve@fieroproject.com
http://www.fieroproject.com

Black88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2001 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Black88GTSend a Private Message to Black88GTDirect Link to This Post
Well, the main problem is it's illegal. They probably picked this guy to make an example out of him.

Sootah

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2001 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SootahClick Here to visit Sootah's HomePageSend a Private Message to SootahDirect Link to This Post
They are not legaly married though, so technically its not illegal. It hasn't been outlawed to live with your girlfriend; however many there may be. It is the fact that he had sex with a female under the age of consent (18 in Utah) they are merely throwing the polygamy thing in because they don't approve. As far as I know though there is nothing they can really do about their multiple 'wifes'.

If there were we'd see a whole lot of people go down around here. There are several blatant polygamist colonies in my particular area.

-----------
If you don't want them to know, tell them you have herpies

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock