Started on: 05-18-2001 12:46 PM
Replies: 21
Last post by: JSocha on 06-11-2001 09:50 AM
Sootah

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2001 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SootahClick Here to visit Sootah's HomePageSend a Private Message to SootahDirect Link to This Post
Just wondering if anybody here had them (You all know that you speed from time to time, even on purpose) Oh, and I am only talking about active radar jammers. Passive ones do not work.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Butter

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 91
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2001 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ButterSend a Private Message to ButterDirect Link to This Post
Sootah,
I was an ECM technician in the AF, and I've been effectively avoiding most radar by using passive techniques. Look at the Fiero, it IS stealth by nature. Watch out for the laser though.
Sootah

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2001 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SootahClick Here to visit Sootah's HomePageSend a Private Message to SootahDirect Link to This Post
Passive meaning? I am just wondering, am probably going to end up moving to Ogden, and I-15 between there and Salt Lake there tends to be quite a few highway patrol. I will probably end up getting the Cobra XR-1010 radar detector.
DRH

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 55
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2001 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DRHSend a Private Message to DRHDirect Link to This Post
I believe laser is going to make radar detectors useless in the next few years. You already run the risk of running into a laser car almost anywhere you go so it's already starting. If you get pulled over by a cop with laser and you have a radar jammer on your dash... I think talking your way into a warning is pretty much outta the question.

Reminds me of a joke:
Officer: "Do you know why I stopped you?"
Motorist: "Because I decided to buy the CHEAP radar detector?"

JSocha

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2001 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JSochaSend a Private Message to JSochaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sootah:
I will probably end up getting the Cobra XR-1010 radar detector.

Ever try a "Valentine" radar detector?
http://www.valentine1.com

You can upgrade the chip inside when new releases come out to stay up on the technology so you don't have to buy a whole new radar detector.

It watches ahead of you, behind you and to the sides for threats.

My brother bought a top of the line jammer. Never worked. Then he bought another one. Didn't work.

And none of the people that I know that has them here in ND has ever had one work, even our computer vendor. I believe in many states as well, it is illegal. May want to check your laws.

------------------

Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2001 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post
Jamming a doppler style radar (type used for speed detection) Is difficult due to legalities, power required, cost of parts, and set-up. Laser's can't be jammed but they can be faked out. again cost and equipment is the problem. The best way to defeat a radar gun is to "absorb" the radar waves passively. Active jamming with a CW signal isn't going to work. You need to repeat the signal, add more power to it and use a processor to configure it correctly. The "jammer's" on the maket today don't work.
Taijiguy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 244
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2001 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post
I read a story in C&D once about this topic. They said the single most effective protection against laser is to drive with your high beams on. Laser is nothing more than light of course, and it gets washed in the headlights. This of course isn't 100% effective, but is more effective than any detector or stealth systems they tried.
fropuff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2001 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fropuffSend a Private Message to fropuffDirect Link to This Post
Originally posted by Taijiguy:
"I read a story in C&D once about this topic. They said the single most effective protection against laser is to drive with your high beams on. Laser is nothing more than light of course, and it gets washed in the headlights. This of course isn't 100% effective, but is more effective than any detector or stealth systems they tried."

-Then they nail ya for failing to dim your lights.

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2001 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
they dont work.

as far as guaranteeing theyll pay the fine...it only up too the price of detector or cost of the fine...whichever is less and not for over 20 mph over the limit, which voids it anyway. so thats just an advertising gimmick. If I know im gonna be in a hurry, i just use a radar/laser detector, CB radio and police scanner. Ive got stopped, but very rarely. Its usually when im just going 5 or 10 over and have everything turned off anyway. put some tin foil in your hub caps, lol.

JSocha

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2001 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JSochaSend a Private Message to JSochaDirect Link to This Post

I read a story in C&D once about this topic. They said the single most effective protection against laser is to drive with your high beams on. Laser is nothing more than light of course, and it gets washed in the headlights. This of course isn't 100% effective, but is more effective than any detector or stealth systems they tried.

I'm trying to find the link to a website (maybe on my FAVORITES at home) that discusses how Lidar actually works, but what you stated or read was "hogwash" regarding the headlights. They just have to aim the beam at the front of the vehicle, pull the trigger and whalla, they have your speed based on distance.

And if that were the case regarding light, then no laser would work because of daylight and people who do property surveys using laser would not be able to use them as well and would have to survey at night with all the "mowditos" out there sucking there blood on top of it.

------------------

I did FIND ONE about LIDAR in my FAVORITES here at work: http://www.ibiblio.org/rdu/usenet-arc/sub00243/msg00000.html

[This message has been edited by JSocha (edited 05-18-2001).]

Oreif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2001 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post

Sorry that is just a rumor. The wavelength of the speed laser is 904nm. It is in the infrared spectrum. Although lights (such as headlights or regular light bulbs) do put out all wavelengths you could not put out enough to wash out the laser. I work with lasers in the 950 thru 1064 wavelengths and we test with lights on all the time. Even a high intensity halogen bulb at 150W will not wash out the laser beam.(highbeams are only 55W in the U.S.) A laser beam isn't just light, it's coherent light. With the light waves collimated and focused to a narrow beam. The only way to deter it is to refract it and scatter or diffuse it. The license plates that advertise "works against laser" will refract and diffuse the laser But that is only a small portion of the front of the car, as soon as the laser hits the bumper or front edge of the hood it's got your speed.

[This message has been edited by Oreif (edited 05-18-2001).]

PFF
System Bot
Butter

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 91
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2001 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ButterSend a Private Message to ButterDirect Link to This Post
Oreif,
I was wondering what happens when a laser hits that new prisomatic (or something like that) paint that changes colour? Also do you know if the old ECM paint like was used on the old B52 D model bombers has any refractive powers for the laser?
Oreif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2001 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Butter:
Oreif,
I was wondering what happens when a laser hits that new prisomatic (or something like that) paint that changes colour? Also do you know if the old ECM paint like was used on the old B52 D model bombers has any refractive powers for the laser?

The old B-52 paint won't deter laser. The paint was used to aid in refracting radar. The Prisomatic paint isn't going to do anything either. Prismatic paint is for visible light. It takes the different visible color spectrums and relects each spectrum at a different angle. The laser for speed detection is in the invisible InfraRed range. It isn't affected by visible light. One of the advantages of using IR lasers is that very few things can disrupt it. You could have a coating that is specifically designed to refract 904nm lasers. But for us (at our work) It's $200.00 just to coat one side of a 4" lens. I'd hate to see what it would cost to paint a car. Also the coating is clear (to us) so you could spray all the windows too! Then as soon a s the laser hits the car it would reflect all over the place and the laser unit would never see you. Even if the unit was 20 feet in front of you. But it would be close to $43,000 just to do the windshield!!!

Seanh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2001 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SeanhSend a Private Message to SeanhDirect Link to This Post
What about this Phazer crap I hear about on the radio all the time? They clearly advertise that they jam both convential radar guns and lasers. If its so very obvious that there is no way they can block laser, how can they legally advertise this?
Oreif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2001 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Seanh:
What about this Phazer crap I hear about on the radio all the time? They clearly advertise that they jam both convential radar guns and lasers. If its so very obvious that there is no way they can block laser, how can they legally advertise this?

Because if a "laser" hits the front of it there will be no return. But if the laser hits your bumper the Phazer does nothing. It's all in the "fine print" sort of how Pyrimid use to have 300W Equalizer. The specs showed it hit 300W with a 1 Megahertz signal But the graph showed only 15W at 5000hz (1 mhz is way out of the audable range) It's not false advertising it's "creative" advertising.

SteveJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2001 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SteveJSend a Private Message to SteveJDirect Link to This Post
So on one of my trips to air shows a few years ago I noticed an interesting device on the A10's. I asked, it was for protection against laser guided weapons. Memory fails with time but it was rounded like a gumball on a cop car but had mirrors or prisims inside.
So somebody besides me has figured out how to defeat laser. ( I just don't speed )
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2001 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Seanh:

read my post above. Ive tried them all, as so have some friends. NONE OF THEM WORK AT ALL-IF THEY DO, YOU CAN SEE THE COP ALREADY ANYWAY-AND YOU CAN BET THEY ALREADY GOT YOU.
Ive still decided that a CB is the best bet on freeways-just listen to the truckers. (but of course, if you want to crank up your radio and jam, that wont work either)

Mach10

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2001 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mach10Send a Private Message to Mach10Direct Link to This Post
All you REALLY need to do is wire a high-voltage power source to a 1F capacitor, and hook that to a 40's style vibrating coils. Hit the switch, and watch every peice of electronics in a 50m radius sponaneously combust
ray b

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2001 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ray bSend a Private Message to ray bDirect Link to This Post
lasers can be detected my passport does work on them.i was on the turnpike miles from anywhere and it went off on top of a hill.looked around saw nothing and was about to speed up again when i noticed the trucks only going 60 in a 70 zone soon a troopers car came in the rearveiw way back so they do work but only in line of sight not round corners.

------------------
Question wonder and be wierd

Oreif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2001 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ray b:
lasers can be detected my passport does work on them.i was on the turnpike miles from anywhere and it went off on top of a hill.looked around saw nothing and was about to speed up again when i noticed the trucks only going 60 in a 70 zone soon a troopers car came in the rearveiw way back so they do work but only in line of sight not round corners.

Yes there are lasar "Detectors" but you cannot jam/defeat laser.

bHooper

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2001 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bHooperSend a Private Message to bHooperDirect Link to This Post
i have always prefered K-40's. they are very reliable, have excellent distance, and can tell direction of the signal (if your pocket is deep enough for that option).
http://k40.com/

also, you can send them back to the factory for upgrades, and tuning as necessary.

i prefer an "installed" detector to one hangin on my windshield any day.

with my K-40, i have only ever gotten one ticket (in 7 years of driving with it)... i was the only car on the road at 10 o'clock at night, driving 80 mph! the other two tickets that i got were when i had sent the receiver off to get updated!

go figure!

hoop

PFF
System Bot
JSocha

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2001 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JSochaSend a Private Message to JSochaDirect Link to This Post
Saturday, my Valentine 1 radar detector was going off a little over 5 miles from where a HP was sitting monitoring traffic. It would bleep every now and again and just after I had gotten out of Minot.

Sure enough, the closer I got after that, the more it bleeped and the stronger the signal.

On the way to Minot (heading up to drop off parts for my Fiero), out of Rugby almost to towner, the LASER detector portion would go off. Sure enough, the HP from Towner was sittin on the side of the road taking readings.

Estimated my distance to be between 3 to 4 miles before the first alert went off. The HP (I didn't get pulled over though) kept taking readings on me the closer I got as I was the only other one on the Highway at the time heading towards him with another vehicle way, way, way ahead and past where he was sitting. Drove by and he was following me with his laser gun and pulling the trigger.

He also shot me after I passed his position.

Guess he wasn't happy with the 65 to 67.5 MPH reading he must have been getting. Thats where my cruise control was set for our 65 MPH driving limits.

Kept going off another 1 or 2 miles past his position before he pulled out and moved on down the highway.

------------------

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock