A TRUE report of a happening in MICHIGAN: by JSocha
Started on: 05-16-2001 04:52 PM
Replies: 24
Last post by: DJRice on 05-18-2001 07:40 AM
JSocha

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2001 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JSochaSend a Private Message to JSochaDirect Link to This Post
Only in Michigan, can this happen 2 men, a car, a dog, & stick of dynamite

Perhaps this is why male drivers are so expensive to insure. This from a radio program, a TRUE report of a happening in MICHIGAN:

A guy buys a brand new Jeep Grand Cherokee for $30,000 and has $400+ monthly payments. He and a friend go duck hunting and of course, all the lakes are frozen. These 2 guys go to the lake with the guns, the dog, the beer and the new vehicle. They drive out onto the lake ice and get ready.

They decide they want to make some kind of a natural landing area for the ducks, something for the decoys to float on. However, in order to make a hole large enough to look like something a wandering duck would want to fly down and land on, it was going to take a little more effort than an ice hole drill.

So, out of the back of the new Grand Cherokee comes a stick of dynamite with a short, 40 second fuse. Now these two rocket scientists do take into consideration that they should place the dynamite at a location far from where they are standing (and away from the new Grand Cherokee), mainly because they don't want to take the risk of slipping on the ice when they run from the burning fuse and possibly go up in smoke with the resulting blast. They decide to light this 40 second fuse and throw the dynamite.

Remember a couple of paragraphs back when I mentioned the vehicle, the beer, the guns and the dog? Yes, the dog, a highly trained Black Lab used for retrieving--especially things thrown by the owner. You guessed it, the dog takes off a high rate of doggy speed on the ice and captures the stick of dynamite with the burning 40 second fuse about the time it hits the ice.

The 2 men, yell, scream and wave their arms and wonder what to do now. The dog, cheered on, keeps coming. One of the guys grabs the shotgun and shoots the dog. The shotgun is loaded with #8 duck shot, hardly big enough to stop a black lab.

The dog stops for a moment, slightly confused, but continues coming. Another shot and this time the dog, still standing, becomes really confused and of course terrified, thinking these two Nobel Prize winners have gone insane.

The dog takes off to find cover (with the now really short fuse burning on the stick of dynamite) and gets under the brand new Cherokee.

BOOM! Dog and Cherokee are blown to bits and sink to the bottom of the lake in a very large hole, leaving the 2 idiots standing there with this "I can't believe this happened" look on their faces.

The insurance company says that sinking a vehicle in a lake is illegal by use of explosives and is not covered. And he still has to make those $400 a month payments.

And you thought your day was not going well!

------------------

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
saleenfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2001 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for saleenfieroSend a Private Message to saleenfieroDirect Link to This Post
ARF!
LZeitgeist

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2001 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistDirect Link to This Post
BAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Too bad they didn't get it on tape... these guys are poster boys for David Letterman's 'Stupid Pet Tricks'...

Taijiguy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 244
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2001 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post
I've heard that story before, and as good as it is, I think it's an urban legend. Primarily because a trained retriever won't move until commanded. Holding until given the order is one of the first things a retriever learns.
Now, if it is true, then that was one unfortunate chain of events...
DJRice

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 55
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2001 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DJRiceSend a Private Message to DJRiceDirect Link to This Post
You wonder why he even called the insurance company.....

------------------
Dillon
Black '87 SE V6

Loki

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2001 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LokiSend a Private Message to LokiDirect Link to This Post
ROTLMAO!!!!!!!!!!! OMG TO FUNNY!!!!!

------------------
Loki
ICQ# 16477998
www.cox-internet.com/fiero !!!UPDATED!!!

Black88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2001 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Black88GTSend a Private Message to Black88GTDirect Link to This Post
I don't believe it either for the same reason
Taijiguy doesn't believe it. There's no way a "highly" trained lab is going to just run out of the blue. They train them to stay right by the owner at all times. Think about it, you don't want some wild dog running around chasing away all the ducks.

Another thing I would debate is about the guy shooting him. I know from working at a vet. hospital, when you inject a dog with a shot that will irritate them, they will turn around and try to bite the area where they were injected. So if the dog was shot in the leg or the back or stomach or whatever, he would most likely drop whatever he was carrying and try to bite or lick the wound.

JSocha

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2001 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JSochaSend a Private Message to JSochaDirect Link to This Post
I received this as an email from one of our sales Reps and he always sends us funny stories that he has heard while on the road that have always turned out true.

Well, I shared it hear with you guys you can either enjoy or debate it all you wish. If someone from Michigan has heard this story, perhaps they can shed some light on it whether it is true or not.

------------------

FieroJoe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2001 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJoeSend a Private Message to FieroJoeDirect Link to This Post
I listen to the radio news everyday. Havent heard a thing about it, and anyway it must be really old news because no lakes are frozen right now.

And another thing to think about in this story. Ducks migrate. Winter = no ducks. Only some city slicker would be out in the middle of the winter trying to go duck hunting on a frozen lake. So, by the story, we know that they arent a real hunter, becuase duck season isnt in winter. And if they werent a real hunter, I highly doubt they could be a good enough shot to hit thier dog while running.

Also, as Black88GT said, when an animal is wounded, they will stop and lick the wound. Even if the dog got hit with a .22 he would still stop and lick where he got hit. Now, a 12 gauge load of bird shot is a hell of a lot more powerful than 1 .22 bullet, so the dog isnt just going to be "stunned"

and just as a retort, there are stupid ass people everywhere, not just michigan. I bet every one of us even have some in thier own town.

------------------

'87 Coupe 5spd.
AIM:FieroJoe87

LarryB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2001 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LarryBSend a Private Message to LarryBDirect Link to This Post
I used to hunt ducks, and as far as I'm concerned this is just an urban legend.

For starters, the reason you bring a dog duck hunting is to retrieve out of the water. You don't need a dog to retrieve ducks off of ice.

Second, late duck hunting season generally runs from late November to mid-to-late January. Winter in Michigan isn't much longer than winter in Maine (where I'm from), and in Maine it still isn't safe to drive a 4000 lb vehicle out onto the ice in mid-January.

Third, even if you were hunting ducks out on the ice, it's not exactly a good recipe for success, you're way too out in the open and ducks get wary fast during hunting season.

If you want to see something that really happened about 10 years ago involving dynamite blowing up, check this out,but be warned, its a bit graphic...and its about 11MB in size.
http://fiero.xcom.net/whale2.avi

FieroJoe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2001 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJoeSend a Private Message to FieroJoeDirect Link to This Post
Another thing to think about is that dynamite isnt exactly something you can just get at the corner store. Unless you rob it from the Libians.

Or plutonium either...

------------------

'87 Coupe 5spd.
AIM:FieroJoe87

PFF
System Bot
Tweek

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2001 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TweekSend a Private Message to TweekDirect Link to This Post
i have never in my life seen a duck up here in the winter, yet I live near a river where in the summer they are there all the time... And no, I wouldnt drive a vehicle out on the ice.. unless maybe it was a CRX or something, lightweight and disposable. =)
frontal lobe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 166
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2001 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for frontal lobeSend a Private Message to frontal lobeDirect Link to This Post
Wish it would have been a new Aztek. Likely untrue but still very funny fiction.

Maybe next year it will be 2 ex-navy seals with a hand grenade in Wisconsin with a brand new Ford Explorer and their springer spaniel.

Or knowing our current population, maybe it REALLY WILL happen next winter!!

Steve Normington

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 155
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2001 01:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Steve NormingtonSend a Private Message to Steve NormingtonDirect Link to This Post
These good ole boys must be the cousins of the guy who killed himself when he strapped a JATO unit to his 76 Chevy Nova.

"I read it on the internet, it must be true."

LZeitgeist

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2001 08:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistDirect Link to This Post
Yup, now that I've read the common sense facts posted here, I agree that it's an urban legend... but you have to admit, it's a pretty funny chain of events, even if it never happened.
Taijiguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2001 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post
Of course, then there's the story of the guy who "accidentally" shot himself in the balls when he used a .22 bullet as a fuse in his pickup truck, and well, you can probably figure it out....(I think that one may actually be true...)
Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2001 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LarryB:
If you want to see something that really happened about 10 years ago involving dynamite blowing up, check this out,but be warned, its a bit graphic...and its about 11MB in size.
http://fiero.xcom.net/whale2.avi

LOL, That's a funny video. I can't believe they thought "blowing it up" was going to work! I wonder how the guy explained what happened to his car. If I was his insurance agent, I'd be hard pressed not to laugh at him.

LarryB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2001 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LarryBSend a Private Message to LarryBDirect Link to This Post
I can only imagine the wonderful aroma. The adjustor probably took one whiff of that car and totaled it. :^)

Originally posted by Oreif:
LOL, That's a funny video. I can't believe they thought "blowing it up" was going to work! I wonder how the guy explained what happened to his car. If I was his insurance agent, I'd be hard pressed not to laugh at him.

mblackwell

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2001 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mblackwellSend a Private Message to mblackwellDirect Link to This Post
Greg Piet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2001 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Greg PietClick Here to visit Greg Piet's HomePageSend a Private Message to Greg PietDirect Link to This Post
Well I know when I was in WI from 96-97 the news reported that a guy was arrested for fishing using explosives in lake Winnebago(I dont remember now if it was grenades or dynamite). No fatalities though!
Taijiguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2001 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post
Dammit...turns out according to that website even my shot to the balls story is false. Is nothing sacred? <sigh>
PFF
System Bot
DJRice

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2001 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DJRiceSend a Private Message to DJRiceDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Steve Normington:
These good ole boys must be the cousins of the guy who killed himself when he strapped a JATO unit to his 76 Chevy Nova.

"I read it on the internet, it must be true."

That car was a 59 Impala or something....there is a very long thread about that here some time ago. Its a very entertaining, though long, story.

------------------
Dillon
Black '87 SE V6

FieroSTETZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2001 02:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroSTETZClick Here to visit FieroSTETZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroSTETZDirect Link to This Post
my father's friend was once fishing with dynamite and got caught, the park ranger started talking about the illegality and jail time and everything, so he lit the fuse and threw it to the park ranger, and said "wanna go fishing?"

don't know if this is true, but considering who he's talking about, its not impossible

LarryB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2001 04:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LarryBSend a Private Message to LarryBDirect Link to This Post
You can still legally go fishing in Vermont with a rifle.

You post yourself on shore and watch for a fish to swim near to the surface then shoot. The idea is to not actually shoot the fish, but to shoot near enough so that the shock wave from the bullet hitting the water will stun or kill it.

DJRice

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2001 07:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DJRiceSend a Private Message to DJRiceDirect Link to This Post
The payment on a new car that costs $30k is well more than $400+ per month. Try $500+ per month (I guess the first is technically still accurate, but the second is closer to the truth)

------------------
Dillon
Black '87 SE V6

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock