Started on: 04-25-2001 10:46 PM
Replies: 6
Last post by: Spektyr on 04-29-2001 01:40 AM
Patrick's Dad

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2001 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Patrick's DadClick Here to visit Patrick's Dad's HomePageSend a Private Message to Patrick's DadDirect Link to This Post
It's a nice, though cool, day in one of the oldest towns in the country. I'm getting out of the shower, when the phone rings. I pick up the phone. "Hello?" I say.

"This is the 911 operator." says the voice on the other end. "Is everything alright over there?"

I do not answer the officer. Instead, I raise my voice, "Patrick?" My four year old appears at my bedroom door. "Did you call 911?"

My son looks at the floor. "You don't ever call 911 unless it's an emergencey." I tell him, then explain to the officer, who's still listening in, that my four year old dialed while I was in the shower. We end our call, and I question my boy. He responds, telling me that he wanted to let them know that we need a new phone to call 911 on.

I call my wife. I ask, "What do you son and my brother have in common? The both called 911 when they were young." Of course, we recount the time when he pulled the fire alarm in my wife's office. I made my son apologize to the firemen for making them come down, and explained to him that the firemen couldn't help someone else who may need it, because he made them come to Mommy's work. We hung up, and I told my son to get dressed.

I took my daughter downstairs to his grandparents and explained where my son and I were going. Then, my son and I went to the Police Station, so he could apologize to the officer for calling on the emergency line. They gave him a sticker and a couple of coloring books.

"Now I'm friends with the firemen and the policemen." according to my boy....

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
JSocha

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2001 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JSochaSend a Private Message to JSochaDirect Link to This Post
Now that your friends with the firemen and the police you should be happy.

1) If your Fiero ever starts on fire (as sometimes they do) at least you will know who to call and they will know who you are and be able to put it out. And you could probably meet them half way .

2) And now that you have a personal repoir with the police department, perhaps you can get out of any future speeding tickets in your Fiero as you are heading for the firestation!

frontal lobe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 166
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2001 12:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for frontal lobeSend a Private Message to frontal lobeDirect Link to This Post
One time I caught my daughter who was about 3 at the time just putting the phone down. She would hold the phone with two hands at the time. Just as I was getting ready to hang it up, I heard, "Hello, hello?" I figured I'd better apologize and the person asked, "Is everything all right?" I said, "Yes, why?" It was 911. My daughter when she held the phone with two hands must have hit the 9 and 1 numbers just right to dial 911 inadvertently! They were understanding about it, fortunately.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2001 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
One of the worst offenders for calling 911, inadvertantly?
Cordless phones in which the battery is dying.
Many times they'll dial the first speed dial number, which is 911 most of the time.

This from an ex-g/f 911 operator.

------------------
Raydar - aka Steve

88 T-top Formula
88 soon-to-be-V6 coupe

stimpy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 386
User Banned

Report this Post04-26-2001 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stimpySend a Private Message to stimpyDirect Link to This Post
I learned to not have the speed dial on the cel phone set for 911. One day on my way to work, I happened to look at the screen of the phone to realize that I had inadvertantly dialed 911 from my pocket. From the length of time on the connection, the 911 operator got to hear me order and eat breakfast...
FieroJoe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2001 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJoeSend a Private Message to FieroJoeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by stimpy:
I learned to not have the speed dial on the cel phone set for 911. One day on my way to work, I happened to look at the screen of the phone to realize that I had inadvertantly dialed 911 from my pocket. From the length of time on the connection, the 911 operator got to hear me order and eat breakfast...

haha! I bet the operator was like "wait a mintue, something's not right here!"

------------------
AIM: FieroJoe87
87 Coupe 5spd

Spektyr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2001 01:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpektyrSend a Private Message to SpektyrDirect Link to This Post
Hehe, maybe that explains why the 911 operators are always so damn grumpy when I talk to them.

I'm an Alarm Dispatcher for a home security system company. If you set of your home alarm and don't answer the phone when I call you, I get to talk to the ever cheerful (cough) 911 operator in your area.

What's really disturbing is when they're laughing so hard they can barely answer the phone. Gee, I'm glad I don't personally need the police, or I'd be a little pissed at this point.

For those of you that live in Tampa, San Fran, LA and places like that all I can say is I hope you never REALLY need the PD to show up.

I've been on hold on 911 for half an hour in those places -- just to talk to the operator to send the police to check someone's house! And response times can be long once the call is made. On more than one occasion they showed up the next day to see if a break-in had occured.

"Um yeah officer, they stole everything. Fortunately the guy is on crutches. If you leave now you might catch him at the end of the block."

sigh

(And of course it's somehow MY fault if they don't show up in 30 seconds.)

------------------
85 GT (to be modified...)
--Um, no the paint isn't oxidized, that's the ultra-rare Whirlpool White textured finish... yeah.
89 Lincoln Town Car (has Fiero Envy)
--Hey! Can I have an anti-sway bar too?

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock