Computer upgrade question......... by My7Fieros
Started on: 02-17-2001 12:08 AM
Replies: 5
Last post by: Standard on 02-18-2001 02:42 AM
My7Fieros

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2001 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for My7FierosSend a Private Message to My7FierosDirect Link to This Post
My "secondary" computer is an old NEC laptop. Its 100 mghz, 775 mb hard drive (tiny), with only like 8 mb of ram.
Is it possible to install a larger hard drive (pref something over 1 Gb)and install a new ram card? I can change the modem card out w/ no prob (its got a 28.8, I can put in a 56 easily).
Can it be done (like on a desktop), and would it be worth it? New laptops are way expensive. My desktop is fine, this is strickly for the laptop.
BTW its an NEC Versa 4200. Thanx.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
LarryB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2001 12:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LarryBSend a Private Message to LarryBDirect Link to This Post
The good news is that you can get 3rd party ram for the 4200 (it will accept 1 additional stick of up to 32MB for 40MB total), and you can get replacement hard drives. The bad news is that new replacements will run you close to $500.
Personally I don't think it would be worth it to spend that kind of money on that old a laptop, but you can try crusing E-bay and other auction houses, you might be able to pick up good used parts to rebuild your laptop at a reasonable price. You really don't want to have less than 40MB memory and nowadays even that is marginal at best. If you can do it on the cheap I'd go for it.

To give an example why I'd think twice about getting new memory and disk, for about what you'd pay for 32MB memory and a new 4-6GB hard drive you could pick up a good used Dell Latitude CP with CD/Floppy/64M/4GB disk with 12" color active matrix display.

Just my $0.02.

My7Fieros

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2001 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for My7FierosSend a Private Message to My7FierosDirect Link to This Post
Ok thanx Larry. I didnt know off hand how much a new harddrive would cost. Its just a good comp and w/new laptops costing so much these days I thought I'd try it out.
I could prob get a good used laptop off ebay for about the same price as upgrading mine. Thanx.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2001 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
My7...
I also would go the "newer but used" route. One thing to take into consideration is that anything over a couple of years old will possibly need to have the battery replaced. Usually at least $100.
I only mentioned this because it just happened to a friend of mine.

------------------
Raydar - aka Steve

88 T-top Formula
88 soon-to-be-V6 coupe

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2001 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockDirect Link to This Post
Depending on what you are planning using the laptop for, you could also install a completely different OS like Linux. Linux isn't such a memory (or HD space) hog as Windows is, and runs perfectly on 40Mb. You will also be amazed how fast a 100Mhz Pentium can be when you use a good OS!
Standard

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2001 02:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for StandardClick Here to visit Standard's HomePageSend a Private Message to StandardDirect Link to This Post
But then Bill Gates won't be able to assimilate you into his evil empire!!

When I get around to building a system I'm probably gonna go dual-boot with W-98 for gaming and Linux for everything else..

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock