NASCAR: Rigged for Dodge? by ChadMan
Started on: 02-14-2001 09:19 AM
Replies: 12
Last post by: rogergarrison on 02-15-2001 01:57 PM
ChadMan

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2001 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ChadManSend a Private Message to ChadManDirect Link to This Post
I hope this is totally untrue, or Winston Cup is no more a sport than professional wrestling is.
http://www.speedvision.com/pub/articles/racing/02NASCAR/010213e.html
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2001 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
I dont think so chad. they all have same rules and Nascar wind tunneled everyone Dodge had been trying to get a package together for almost 3 years before they finally said OK. I think youll see most people yelling FIX are all the other teams. I think some are sandbagging a little too, so they make the Dodge look better than it is to get Nascar to add spoiler or something to the Dodge to slow them down. Personally Ive been waiting for more makes to get in like they used to be, Buick, Olds, Mercury. Andretti tried to get a Lincoln LSC approved year before last. I saw one of them, but Lincoln wouldnt give any backing and Nascar for some reason said no.
Tigger

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2001 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TiggerSend a Private Message to TiggerDirect Link to This Post
I say if Dodge has the best car at Daytona, they came with a better car.

I don't understand. Why doesn't NASCAR just approve and sanction a single body style for all the teams? Then let Pontiac, Ford, Chevy, and Dodge slap their own stickers on them.

Until NASCAR does something like that, you'll always have a group of crybabies because someone is always going to feel they're getting the raw deal.

Those cars are so far from "stock" anyway, it's not even funny.

Now, I'm not anti-NASCAR, I enjoy watching and following what's going on, but it's just pathetic when a group starts whining.

[This message has been edited by Tigger (edited 02-14-2001).]

TheFiero64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2001 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheFiero64Click Here to visit TheFiero64's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheFiero64Direct Link to This Post
The only racing that I watch is Drag racing. I love it. I could never get into Nascar.

------------------
Josh
88 Coupe V6

My pics

frontal lobe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 166
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2001 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for frontal lobeSend a Private Message to frontal lobeDirect Link to This Post
It shouldn't be able to be called NASCAR, it should have to be NACAR. Because they have taken the "stock" out of it a long time ago.

You don't have to wonder if it is rigged, or if it's may the best car win. It is intentionally rigged---to make the cars as even as possible so there is major competition and no dominant car or driver. So they have taken the numbers and will watch to see if Dodge starts to dominate. If it does, then they will make them make changes to the car to even things up again.

It hasn't been about who can put out the fastest car for a long time. (It's about who can put the most sponsors on a car! Now I know where the people that have that free car you can get with the whole car covered in advertising, got their idea).

Interesting.

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2001 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
every time a new car comes on the scene its same. When Pontiac came in with GranPrix, Ford n Chevy whined, same when Taurus came, ditto when MonteCarlo. My friends have had this discussion many times. We have thought for years Winston Cup should make all teams use thier manufacturers over the counter heads and blocks, and all the stock body panels. Let them add spoilers, skirts, and cut out fenders.But all the same hoods, doors, fenders that are on the real car. Thats what made Nascar. People could always relate to the cars on the track. Its more and more become Indy cars with fenders. If they were stock like the ones me and you drive no one could whine except to their manufacturer.
Cooter

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2001 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CooterSend a Private Message to CooterDirect Link to This Post
Roger- I completly agree. If all the teams had to run "over the counter" parts it would accomplish a few things.
Anyone could get the same parts as the big boys.
It would be cheaper to build a competitive car so more average income folks could afford it.
GM, Ford and Dodge would have more of a research and development base because of the wider range of people buying OEM speed equipment.
You could go to the dealership and order a kick-a$$ crate motor, and know that you have the same stuff as Dale Earnhart, Bobby LaBonte or Bill Elliot's race team.
Then the auto makers would build really slick production cars so their race cars would be nice and smooth on the track.
But, Nascar is so big, it will never get back to racing "real" stock cars again.
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2001 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post
When the Daytona race first started, they ran stock cars, ones that you could get. When the Chrysler 300 (I think ) first ran, it had an automatic transmission in it.

As the speeds increased, car safety became a concern for the race car drivers. I cannot imagine any of the "stock" cars on the road driving on the Daytona track had an accident at speed approaching 150-160 mph, which would be easily obtainable with todays engines. Todays cars would be instant rubble in a crash and would kill a driver.

The cars were built up around the safety cage and restrictor plates put on the carburators to keep the speed down to the crash safety factors of the race car. Make all the cars equal like the IROC races. Sort of boring. Those Dodge Daytonas were able to break 200 mph in the 1970s. The crash effect = a million pieces.

Unfortunatly, 99.999% of the drivers couldn't handle the full race car on a track, would you want one of them trying their (lack of) driving skills on the steet in a race car?

hugh

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2001 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hughSend a Private Message to hughDirect Link to This Post
Fiero64,I agree.There is nothing to compare to 12,000 horsepower on the line,or a super stock carring the wheels.

------------------

Tigger

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2001 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TiggerSend a Private Message to TiggerDirect Link to This Post
Old Lar, yes safety is very important.

I wasn't saying they should pull a car off a dealer lot and go race. Safety cages, etc. etc. need to go in the cars. That's all fine. What's funny is they're all racing RWD cars that are FWD production cars and calling them "stock".

I watched the first Daytona on Speedvison too (what would I do without it).

ChadMan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2001 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ChadManSend a Private Message to ChadManDirect Link to This Post
Safety vs. speed is a tough call, isn't it? I hate restrictor-plate racing. But then again, if a 3700-lb Winston Cup car got airborne at Daytona at 215 mph and sailed over the fencing into the crowd, it would be the end of auto racing as we know it.

I too mourn the death of "stock" stock cars. But it doesn't matter...I will be glued to my TV this Sunday anyway!

PFF
System Bot
TheFiero64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2001 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheFiero64Click Here to visit TheFiero64's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheFiero64Direct Link to This Post
Hugh, Like they say "Real Racers Drive Straight To The Finish Line, Those Other Guys Just Drive In Circles Looking For It."

------------------
Josh
88 Coupe V6

My pics

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2001 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Im not saying all stock car. The Nascar frame and chassis is fine, no one has a problem with that. Im just saying block, heads and body components should be the stock part. That wouldnt jeapordize safety in any way.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock