For us "older" members by 87ECO5
Started on: 02-02-2001 10:51 AM
Replies: 55
Last post by: FieroMaster88 on 02-05-2001 03:09 AM
87ECO5

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2001 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87ECO5Send a Private Message to 87ECO5Direct Link to This Post
Got this today. Thought I'd pass it on ... kinda funny and interesting at the same time. No offense meant by this either.

List to Faculty in regards to Freshman

Each year the staff at Beloit College in Wisconsin puts together a list to give the faculty a sense of the experiences of the year's incoming freshman. Here is this year's list:

* The people who are starting college this Fall across the nation were born in 1982.

* They have no meaningful recollection of the Reagan Era and probably did not know he had ever been shot.

* They were prepubescent when the Persian Gulf War was waged.

* Black Monday, 1987 is as insignificant to them as the Great Depression.

* There has been only one Pope.

* They were 11 when the Soviet Union broke apart and do not remember the Cold War.

* They have never feared a nuclear war.

* They are too young to remember the space shuttle blowing up.

* Tianamen Square means nothing to them.

* Bottle caps have always been screw off and plastic.

* Atari predates them, as do vinyl albums.

* The expression "you sound like a broken record" means nothing to them. They have never owned a record player.

* They have likely never played Pac Man and have never heard of Pong.

* They may have never heard of an 8 track. The Compact Disc was introduced when they were 1 year old.

* As far as they know, stamps have always cost about 33 cents.

* They have always had an answering machine.

* Most have never seen a TV set with only 13 channels, nor have they seen a black and white TV. They have always had cable.

* There has always been VCRs, but they have no idea what BETA is.

* They cannot fathom not having a remote control.

* They were born the year that Walkmen were introduced by Sony.

* Roller skating has always meant inline for them.

* Jay Leno has always been on the Tonight Show.

* They have no idea when or why Jordache jeans were cool.

* Popcorn has always been cooked in the microwave.

* They have never seen Larry Bird play.

* They never took a swim and thought about Jaws.

* The Vietnam War is as ancient history to them as W.W.I, W.W.II and the Civil War.

* They have no idea that Americans were ever held hostage in Iran.

* They can't imagine what hard contact lenses are.

* They don't know who Mork was or where he was from.

* They never heard: "Where's the beef?", "I'd walk a mile for a Camel", or "de plane boss, de plane".

* They do not care who shot J. R. and have no idea who J. R. is.

* The Titanic was found? They thought we always knew where it was.

* Michael Jackson has always looked white.

* Kansas, Chicago, Boston, America, and Alabama are places, not groups.

* McDonalds never came in Styrofoam containers.

* There has always been MTV.

* They don't have a clue how to use a typewriter.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
zeusrekning

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2001 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zeusrekningSend a Private Message to zeusrekningDirect Link to This Post
Some of those are right on , and i'd like the answers to them.Like jordache jeans,never thought they were cool though.But, some are so far of it is really just a waste of space.
fiero56

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2001 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero56Send a Private Message to fiero56Direct Link to This Post
I'd say those are pretty much right on. At least 90% of them, maybe more. I'm considered a Sophomore right now, and I can't answer more than 2 or 3. I've never heard an 8 track(or used one). You mean bottle caps haven't always been plastic twist off?!
TheFiero64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2001 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheFiero64Click Here to visit TheFiero64's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheFiero64Direct Link to This Post
I am 22 and I think I know about all but 1. I miss my atari and playing pong.

------------------
Josh
88 Coupe V6

My pics

Mattsfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2001 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MattsfieroClick Here to visit Mattsfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to MattsfieroDirect Link to This Post
Hey Wait a secound I am also 22 and I remeber most of what you say...I have had 8 track players and I have owned a Typwriter(the old mechanical stuff) I love Boston and Alabama (Yes the bands) and I remember 90% of what happened through out the years (execpt the Jeans bit But that is probably because I have never owned the cool things)

------------------
Matt
85 custom coupe
Mattsfiero@aol.com
www.anglefire.com/ma3/mattsfiero

FieroWenchSE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2001 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroWenchSESend a Private Message to FieroWenchSEDirect Link to This Post
Okay that's it! I'm only 19 and I rember alot of that stuff. I had my own 8 track "tapes" and they're probably still lying around along with the player....I still have records and a record player...though neither of them work at the moment. I still have an atari in my attic...love that thing...hook it up from time to time to (funny enough) play pong and pac man. Somthing significant of the Gulf war actually happend on my birthday and I drew somthing or other for it....but I can see where it comes off maybe saying that because I got one almost just like that Last year when I started my first semester at BSC.

------------------

ChadMan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2001 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ChadManSend a Private Message to ChadManDirect Link to This Post
It took me a damn hour to get to work today. That fricking groundhog saw his shadow - 6 more weeks of winter. I just got the work of three departing coworkers dumped on me, and now I read this.

Thanks, Scott. I will definitely be drinking at lunch today.

JohnnyK

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 354
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2001 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnnyKSend a Private Message to JohnnyKDirect Link to This Post
(Man, I keep trying to reply here, but my computer keeps erasing what I type). Anyways, Instead of doing it all over for the 3rd time, I'm just going to say some things.. Record players are more popular then EVER, I own apocolypse now on Beta, and EVERYONE knows that Rocky IV stopped the Cold War... We know most of those things!
Tigger

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2001 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TiggerSend a Private Message to TiggerDirect Link to This Post
I'm 23, I remember pretty much all of those things.

Wow it's amazing how you remember stuff...

I was in 3rd grade, Mrs. McClure's class, when I got the news about the shuttle explosion. That afternoon our class was going to take a field trip that had been planned long before to the IMAX theater at what was then the "AutoWorld" amusement park.

The movie ironically was about the space shuttle. With the tragedy looming among everyone, the trip had been cancelled for another day.

Hard to believe that was 15 years ago, January 28, 1986.

Philphine

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2001 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineDirect Link to This Post
probaly need to put it on the vette forum 87 (unless you got it from there). lots of old fogeys over there.
2xsess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2001 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2xsessSend a Private Message to 2xsessDirect Link to This Post
WOW, that dredged up some memories and I'm only 25, I almost forgot some of them. Like the McDonalds in styrofoam. I can answer all but like 2 of them.

PFF
System Bot
william_thorniii

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2001 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for william_thorniiiSend a Private Message to william_thorniiiDirect Link to This Post
Tigger,

You showed your own piece of history in your post. As you well know, future generations will not know that Flint, MI USA EVER had its own amusement park... much less one named AutoWorld.

I watched the implosion of AutoWorld a few years ago.

William T. Thorn, III

mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2001 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroDirect Link to This Post
Ahh the Atari 2600......I still have one! I remember playing Pac-Man and Space Invaders at the arcade (anyone ever hear of Crazy Climber?)

Jordache jeans were more of a girl thing that was really popular in the early 80's.....I think they ran their course by 1985. Does anyone here remember "parachute pants"? That was in '82 or '83.

I was in Japan (dad was Air Force) when the Walkman came out.......we got them in '80 or '81......before the US got them.

I remember my dad bringing home a BETA machine in '79 or '80. He paid over $1000 for it! That was A LOT of $$ back then. We still have it somewhere.

They mention answering machines.......how about rotary dial phones?

Here's an oldie, but a goodie......the phrase "Where were you when Skylab landed" means nothing to them.

Finally......I can honestly say I have never owned an 8 track or CD player (and I'm fast approaching 30!).

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2001 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockDirect Link to This Post
I think a few more years and that list would be spot on.

For the "youngsters" here (hey, I'm pushing forty, I'm allowed to say that!), let's see how many you know of these:

1) Vic 20
2) Partridge Family
3) Silly Putty
4) Tenspeed & Brownshoe
5) Roscoe P. Coltrane
6) CP/M
7) Impala
8) Evil Knievel
9) Moog
10) Hercules

Phil

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2001 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilSend a Private Message to PhilDirect Link to This Post
Amos and Andy
Inner Sanctum
Bosco
Poll Parrot Shoes and the X-Ray machine that let you see your feet in the shoes.
Dumont
Cars with the aux. crank start (Renault)
Hopalong Cassidy
"Pluck your magic twanger Froggy"
Winky Dink
Is that enough?
Fformula88

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2001 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fformula88Send a Private Message to Fformula88Direct Link to This Post
Although many younger people here know some or most of those, I bet if you go back only a couple more years in age there will be a lot of people clueless about them. I can honestly say I know just about all of them and I am 23.

Cliff's list is good. I'd have to honestly say I know 6, maybe 7 at most. But I am sure most people will know Roscoe P. Coltrane because of re-run heavan. My 13 year old cousin is really into Knight-Rider because of re-runs!

------------------
John

1988 Fiero Formula
1985 Fiero SE 2m6
1987 Fiero Sport Coupe *In rebuilding*
1997 Ford Probe SE
AOL IM: Fformula88

My7Fieros

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2001 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for My7FierosSend a Private Message to My7FierosDirect Link to This Post
OMG!!! Thanx alot 87ECO! Now I feel old! lol
Not only do I remember all of those things, but feel like they were just yesterday.
Personally, I wish Jordache jeans were still around..they look better than these stupid baggy a$$ things worn today...remember how tight those things were? Ahhhh....
However, Cliff, I have to admit, some of those things you mentioned Ive never heard of..(that actually kinda makes me feel good!)...CP/M? Moog? ....thanx man, I feel young again!
Fformula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2001 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fformula88Send a Private Message to Fformula88Direct Link to This Post
How about the tubes that used to be in radios and TV's!!

[This message has been edited by Fformula88 (edited 02-02-2001).]

fiero56

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2001 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero56Send a Private Message to fiero56Direct Link to This Post
Phil's list has me baffeled. I don't know any of them. Cliff's list, I only know 2 or 3 of them.
Gold-86SE

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2001 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gold-86SESend a Private Message to Gold-86SEDirect Link to This Post

here's one for ya.

Lifts ear piece, places against left ear, turns crank attached to box, speaks into a mouth piece and says, "Mable, can you ring Vern for me?"

------------------
84 SE 4.10 4 Speed (Cold and Rain Daily Driver)
85 GT Automatic (Restoration Project)
86 SE 4 Speed (Fair Weather Daily Driver)
87 SC 5 Speed (Not Running, V8 Conversion?)
Please visit my Fiero Work Shop

Jaygee79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2001 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jaygee79Send a Private Message to Jaygee79Direct Link to This Post
Wow I feel old. I'm only 21 and I remember, or at least knew of, most of them. I actually watched the Challenger explode in school. They never told us what was happening so I thought that was what was supposed to happen. I didn't understand why they sent us home early till I got home and watched the news. Wow, I must have been only 6 years old. I actually still have my Atari. I had Pong, too. I bet none of them know what Calico is either Didn't remember any from Phil's or Cliff's lists though.

[This message has been edited by Jaygee79 (edited 02-02-2001).]

PFF
System Bot
FieroWife

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2001 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroWifeSend a Private Message to FieroWifeDirect Link to This Post
Don't forget that in those Jordache jeans, you had to have the comb with the rounded handle sticking out of your back pocket!

------------------

ray b

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2001 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ray bSend a Private Message to ray bDirect Link to This Post
duck and cover
red menace
over kill
M.A.D.
intergration
freedom riders
gunsmoke
cowboys [as national hero]
missile gap
breeding [peoples]
hudson
packard
nash
crosly hot shot
polio disease
iron lung
computer punch cards
japan= low tec junk
british empire
no smoking only if it would blow up something
now I show my age ray
FieroLisa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2001 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroLisaSend a Private Message to FieroLisaDirect Link to This Post
OK I am a freshman in college, and born in 1982. Now, most of those are true but:
I know the broken record expression, have played pacman, used to have an atari, i had a 13 station TV up until this year's Channukah when I got a new one. I remember my black and white TV, actually still have it. I have heard an 8 track many times since my Dad still has one.

Oh and Mork is from Ork. He and Mindy had a show that I watched regularly

------------------
Lisa
86 gold 4 speed GT
86 gold 5 speed SC (Sold!)
Columbus, OH/Greensboro NC
AOL IM: FieroLisa
FieroLisa's Website

Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2001 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post
They for got the most important one.
They were only 2 years old when the Fiero first came out! AHHH, I was 21 then!

------------------

2xsess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2001 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2xsessSend a Private Message to 2xsessDirect Link to This Post
I really wish this thread would die, I'm starting to feel way beyond my 25 years. Phil, you blew my mind with half of that list.

Cliff, I knew most of yours. (old man at 40, hah)

I remember Colecovision, I used to have one.

Jordaches were awesome, as far as seeing women in them anyways. Kind of like "rockies" today, for those of you who don't know what those are, they're the jeans with no back pockets that are usually as tight as Jordaches. My buddy from CO told me that one night at the bar. I'm sure you can figure out what sparked that conversation.

TheFiero64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2001 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheFiero64Click Here to visit TheFiero64's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheFiero64Direct Link to This Post
I just pulled the old atari out and have been playing it for hours because of this thread. P.S. anyone remember how to beat the ET game?

------------------
Josh
88 Coupe V6

My pics

batboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2001 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batboySend a Private Message to batboyDirect Link to This Post
I still have an old VIC 20 and a Commodore 64 laying around out in the shed. My first computer programing class I had in college required us to punch cards and use a card reader. Damn cards always got jammed and ruined.

Cliff, the only one I didn't know was #6. Phil, I only knew half of yours. OK, how many of us can remember what you were doing when U.S. President Kennedy was killed?

We got released early from grade school that day. Seems like everyone was glued to the ol' black and white TVs watching the funneral.

Phil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2001 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilSend a Private Message to PhilDirect Link to This Post
I was getting ready to go to my Statics class.
mrfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2001 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroDirect Link to This Post
TheFiero64,

I remember playing the game, but have no idea how to beat it. BTW......the movie E.T. also came out in 1982. I remember seeing it at the theater.

pherder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2001 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pherderSend a Private Message to pherderDirect Link to This Post
Another one for you ...

I was in 7th grade ... saying the pledge of allegiance to the flag when we were told that President Kennedy was shot ...

I was in the USAF, on a Missle Lauch crew, when I heard of the Shuttle disaster.

Who remembers the civilian teacher who was killed? One of my old teachers was one competing for the slot.

Damn, I'm old!

Paul

[This message has been edited by pherder (edited 02-02-2001).]

PFF
System Bot
hugh

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2001 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hughSend a Private Message to hughDirect Link to This Post
How about;
Penny loafers
box toes
risers
peg pants
spaghetti shoes
DA(ducks ass)
poodle skirts
Tab Hunter
The start of rock n roll
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2001 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post
Paul--Christine (Christina?) McAuliff. (might have the spelling wrong)

Tigger--3rd grade??? I had been out of school for a year when that happened.

Thanx a bunch, Scott. This just adds to my depression. Not only do I lead a lonely, pathetic existance, but now I'm old, too. (Although I was fortunate enough to have a good looking 19 yo (with one of those belly-baring shirts on) tell me that I'm not old. )

mrfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2001 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroDirect Link to This Post
Her name was Christa McAuliffe. I was a freshman in high school when it blew up. I remember walking into my Spanish class and talking about it.....the teacher had no idea what we were talking about and thought we were making bad jokes. We spent the entire class listening to the radio.....it was a pretty somber day.
Fformula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2001 12:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fformula88Send a Private Message to Fformula88Direct Link to This Post
There was a way to win that darned E.T. Atari game??? I played that game forever trying to fly out of those pits and put together the lousy phone!! I never did beat the thing. I still have the ole' Atari... maybe its time for one more game of pacman
Cooter

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2001 12:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CooterSend a Private Message to CooterDirect Link to This Post
I wore the parachute pants and the "leather" ones too. I still have my handed down Atari 2600 and my greatest Christmas present ever (not a Red Ryder) the Commadore Vic 20. I even had the ultra high speed tape drive and a 3k memory expansion card. The weird thing about it is that some of the games are pretty fast- especially considering its blistering 3mhz processor. Oh, the good old days! How many remember the peek and poke commands for their CommodeDoor P/C's?
JohnnyK

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 354
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2001 01:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnnyKSend a Private Message to JohnnyKDirect Link to This Post
They sent you home early when the Challenger exploded??
Standard

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2001 04:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for StandardClick Here to visit Standard's HomePageSend a Private Message to StandardDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Phil:
"Pluck your magic twanger Froggy"

I think I saw that show on the Spice channel not too long ago...

Phil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2001 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilSend a Private Message to PhilDirect Link to This Post
Pluck your magic twanger froggy- came from an old Andy Devine childrens TV program( so who's Andy Devine right?)
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2001 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post
Andy Devine was on a western TV show as the side kick of ????

J. Kennedy shot: high school english class.
B. Kennedy shot: Sheppard AFB

Challenger explosion: seems like just yesterday.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock