Looking for web page with information about installing valve seats by afRaceR
Started on: 01-02-2001 07:14 PM
Replies: 4
Last post by: afRaceR on 01-03-2001 05:31 PM
afRaceR

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2001 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for afRaceRSend a Private Message to afRaceRDirect Link to This Post
My dad's got this old valve seat grinder sitting in the shop and I got curious about it the other day. He doesn't really remember too much about setting it up and cutting the heads for seats so I was just wondering if anyone knew of a site that would give me some tips and some basic principles of installing seats. I want to build up a 396 block I've got and I thought I would play around with the valves alittle.
Any kind of information would be appreciated, thanks.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
hugh

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2001 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hughSend a Private Message to hughDirect Link to This Post
A valve seat tool can only be used to cut seats,If you need seats installed you need a competent automotive machine shop.Not all shops are equipped to install valve seats.Cylinder heads are not something you should experiment with,if they aren't right you can have a poor running engine,or worse you can destroy it.

------------------

afRaceR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2001 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for afRaceRSend a Private Message to afRaceRDirect Link to This Post
I have the grinder and I know I have to be cautious when installing the seats, that's why I want some information on doing this. I've got plenty of mechanical aptitude and know-how, I just don't know how to do this.
hugh

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2001 07:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hughSend a Private Message to hughDirect Link to This Post
You can't install seats with a valve seat grinder,only finish them to the proper angle and width.
afRaceR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2001 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for afRaceRSend a Private Message to afRaceRDirect Link to This Post
yes I know......I wouldn't even think about doing this without the grinder, but I have the use of one so I would like information on this. When I say information on installing them, I mean the whole procedure. I would like to put hardened seats in the head of that 396 for unleaded gas, I know it would probably be fine the way it is unless I did some work on the seats that are in there now.
The seats are probably coated with enough lead fumes that it would be ok if I kept the motor mild, but I want to put this in my dad's 67 shortbed pickup and I want lots of horsepower from it.
I might just scrap the 396 for now and install a 502 crate motor, I just would like a little more information on the seats before I make any definate plans about a motor.
Thanks

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock