Started on: 12-11-2000 11:24 AM
Replies: 4
Last post by: Raydar on 12-11-2000 09:50 PM
1FST2M6

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2000 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1FST2M6Click Here to visit 1FST2M6's HomePageSend a Private Message to 1FST2M6Direct Link to This Post
Went with RodrV6 (Rod) friday night (lyndsay and myself) to his "office" it's the worlds largest cantilevered building. he's a Lead Tech for a large passenger airline (no it's not his fault your flight got canceled!) but after playing around in the $80 million+ airplanes and getting the tour of some SWEET inner workings/behind the scenes of the 727, MD88/MD90 and checking out some cool @$$ composite stuff that ALL the planes are made out of.. he was kinda enough to take us to his second job.. he's ALSO a Taxi instructor for the same airline. he let us spend a some time in a flight simulator. I got to Fly a MCDONALD/DOUGLAS MD-L1011. it holds like 300 people and is REALLY cumbersome and heavy but SUPER fun to fly. Lyndsay and i after a little instruction from Rod and after Rod pushed buttons for 10 minutes just to make the plane start (seemed long time cause there are SOO DAMN many.. and a certain order in which to do them)we flew around for a few minutes then he deceided to teach us how to land and take off a HUGE @$$ airplane.. it's really not all that difficult.. HOWEVER.. he had it set so our weather condtions were perfect.. clear, no wind.. i'm SURE in a crosswind with some rain/snow/whatever the pilots EARN the big bucks they make. but with only 40 minutes or so of instruction we were able to SAFELY land the monstrosity. it did take us a couple tries (never crashed the plane.. but Lyndsay did do a donut! (blew out a tire and couldn't manage the brakes properly) the simulators are worth about $20mil. and rent for $3000 an hour! they are able to simulate turbulance, hydraulic leaks, rain, (some can do snow) you name it this machine can simulate it happening. he even Crashed us through a local land mark sign!

That was KILLER Rod.. thanks a lot!!!

Have a nice time in Austria!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Tigger

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2000 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TiggerSend a Private Message to TiggerDirect Link to This Post
Sweet, sounds like fun!

I'd like to have seen the looks you would have got from your 300+ passengers leaving the plane after doing that donut.

Er um, have a nice day, please fly ----- airlines again...

Rodrv6

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2000 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rodrv6Send a Private Message to Rodrv6Direct Link to This Post
Don't be too hard on Lyndsay. The tire blowout wasn't her fault. Seems we had made about 4 or 5 landings in a row and the (simulated) brakes were REALLY hot!!! A few pushes on the touch screen brought the temps back to normal and no more blowouts. You guys were getting too good. Should have failed an engine or two just to make it more of a challenge. (Hmmmm..how far will an L-1011 fly with all 3 engines shut down.....) Next time we'll make it even more interesting. Glad you enjoyed it. See you in January after I get back. Hope everyone out there has a great Christmas.

------------------
Rod Schneider, Woodstock, Ga. 84 SE, 330,000 miles and counting :)

Cheever2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2000 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever2Send a Private Message to Cheever2Direct Link to This Post
Hey, I worked at Airborne Express 4 years and I never got a sim ride
They have three sims: DC-8, DC-9 and 767.
Airborne flies in ANY weather! Employees get to hitch a ride in the cockpit for free, and I did that several times. Enjoyed it.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2000 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rodrv6:
Don't be too hard on Lyndsay. The tire blowout wasn't her fault. Seems we had made about 4 or 5 landings in a row and the (simulated) brakes were REALLY hot!!!...

When the 57th Fighter Squadron was open at PDK, we sat up there and watched the Cessnas do "touch and go's". Trying to picture an L-1011...
Heheheh.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock