EAGLE TALON YES OR NO???? by doughboySE
Started on: 12-06-2000 10:16 PM
Replies: 18
Last post by: Black88GT on 12-10-2000 11:01 PM
doughboySE

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2000 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doughboySEClick Here to Email doughboySESend a Private Message to doughboySEDirect Link to This Post
hey guys im looking at buying an eagle talon for a second car as my 2 boys are getting to big to cart around in the front seat anymore hehe.
cant go to an old man car hehe has to be sporty . was thinking an eagle talon what you all think?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
2xsess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2000 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2xsessClick Here to Email 2xsessSend a Private Message to 2xsessDirect Link to This Post
I've heard many bad things about those engines. Why not go with a sporty 4 door car? i.e. Grand Prix, or maybe a Maxima type car? no flames please. I test drove an Intrepid before we bought the minvan, it got up pretty good for the size of it.
doughboySE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2000 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doughboySEClick Here to Email doughboySESend a Private Message to doughboySEDirect Link to This Post
actually the intrepid is my next choice and swaying that way
fierospeeder

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
User Banned

Report this Post12-06-2000 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierospeederClick Here to visit fierospeeder's HomePageClick Here to Email fierospeederSend a Private Message to fierospeederDirect Link to This Post
i think it was that car, i know for a fact it was an eagle. That some woman wanted me to change her timing belt. I looked at the haynes manual and it looked like a B%*%*%% to take off, theres more then one belt and there is a lot of things to take of to get to it. A mechanic wanted more then 800 bucks to do it, and i told her no also, didn't know her that well, and it was close to winter and me having no garage to work in.
PearlBlueSoul

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2000 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PearlBlueSoulClick Here to visit PearlBlueSoul's HomePageClick Here to Email PearlBlueSoulSend a Private Message to PearlBlueSoulDirect Link to This Post
Don't get one. The reliability on those is TERRIBLE.

I suggest a Nissan maxima, or a SHO. those both are sporty cars that haul some asses. hehe. they're usually very cheep too, and both can be had in a 5 speed variant.

------------------
1987 Toyota MR2 N/A 5 speed
http://www.atlantamr2s.com
http://www.geocities.com/darionscard

Notable mods: Sus tech springs and sway bars, Toyota strut tower brace, KYB strut inserts, HKS exhaust, NGK plugs/wires, Momo Racer wheels (14x6), Custom intake, Kenwood 12" speaker in front trunk, Jensen amp.

DaRkLoRD

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2000 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DaRkLoRDClick Here to Email DaRkLoRDSend a Private Message to DaRkLoRDDirect Link to This Post
whenever I get a nice full time job, I'm going to look into leasing a used grand prix or olds alero.. then I could spend some time working on the fiero.. strip it down to the frame.. sandblast and paint it, install all new wiring, hoses, gaskets, bushings.. repaint the body panels, new door and window seals, etc.. maybe a new engine too..? (or at least a performance rebuild..)

As for the talons.. I love them... but I've heard some scary stories about maintenance on them.. especially the turbo ones.

------------------
steve@fieroproject.com
http://www.fieroproject.com

Standard

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2000 12:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for StandardClick Here to visit Standard's HomePageClick Here to Email StandardSend a Private Message to StandardDirect Link to This Post
One of my friends got a Talon turbo a little bit ago.. needed somewhere between 2-4k worth of work right away. Timing belt, tie rods, etc... Hope you have some small kids if you get the Talon! The backseat in those things is one hell of a torture device!
Philphine

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2000 02:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineClick Here to Email PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineDirect Link to This Post
impala ss?
Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2000 02:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageClick Here to Email OreifSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post
I bought a used 95 Intrepid ES. For my 2 boys it's great. Large enough to keep them from fighting and it has the 3.5L 24-valve motor with dual throttle bodies to keep me slightly happy. (I got the car for a great deal, was actually looking for a Grand Prix GT but none were in my price range)
onfire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2000 04:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for onfireClick Here to Email onfireSend a Private Message to onfireDirect Link to This Post
My uncle used to own a 92 nissan Maxima (upgraded to a 97 Lexus). The maxima is a smooth ride. He let me drive it a few times. Got it on the freeway, it seemed like I was cruising with the flow of traffic, but when I looked down I was doing 95. Needless to say I set the cruise control.

------------------
"I seen it on the internet, and I believe everthing on the net."
Check out my waist of banbwidth.

onfire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2000 04:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for onfireClick Here to Email onfireSend a Private Message to onfireDirect Link to This Post
I test drove an Eagle Talon TSI AWD. With a five speed, before I bought my first Fiero. It seemed fine just cruising around. Until I decided to hotrod it a little. Somewhere above 4500 rpms things started rattling. Well anyway I forgot the point I was going to make, so go ahead and buy one. Or you could take a look at a Mitsubishi Eclipse, oh wait nevermind.

p.s. I actually think those cars are awesome.

------------------
"I seen it on the internet, and I believe everthing on the net."
Check out my waist of banbwidth.

PFF
System Bot
p4n1c

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2000 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for p4n1cClick Here to visit p4n1c's HomePageSend a Private Message to p4n1cDirect Link to This Post
I recommend an Olds Intrigue. 215hp V6 I believe, nice olds suspension and not that bad looking. =] Just an opinion.
JohnnyK

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 355
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2000 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnnyKClick Here to Email JohnnyKSend a Private Message to JohnnyKDirect Link to This Post
95+ Nissan Maxima. Favourite car of all time.
DaRkLoRD

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2000 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DaRkLoRDClick Here to Email DaRkLoRDSend a Private Message to DaRkLoRDDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by p4n1c:
I recommend an Olds Intrigue. 215hp V6 I believe, nice olds suspension and not that bad looking. =] Just an opinion.

hey Derek..
I wondered when you'd show up here.. heh

------------------
steve@fieroproject.com
http://www.fieroproject.com

doughboySE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2000 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doughboySEClick Here to Email doughboySESend a Private Message to doughboySEDirect Link to This Post
OK OK OK THANX TO ALL TALON ITS NOT ILL START LOOKING AGAIN AT THE INTREPID
sorry about the caps
the intrepid was my first choice till i saw some of the talons. although i do like the older boxier intrepid more then the 2000
thanx all
Gonzo_442

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2000 12:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gonzo_442Click Here to Email Gonzo_442Send a Private Message to Gonzo_442Direct Link to This Post
okay, just a quick observation, the talon isn't the kind of car you are looking for. talons rate much like fieros, even though they make a pretense at a back seat.

if i were to go that route you're looking at, i would probably look into cars like the intrepid. however, none of them are really going to be sporty like a fiero is. you are going to make trade offs in what you want for what you need.

personally, i like the grand prix. with the sport-like options added on, maybe a little bit of tuning, you can come up with a really nice sports sedan, or coupe (with a real backseat). along those lines is the monte carlo, it is a car that draws directly from the racing heritage of chevy, and it shows.

just about anything that comes from ford's 'special' division is pretty much guaranteed to be able to move.

you didn't mention your budget, but there are a few cars that can deliver what you want, but they tend to be a little higher than the average sports sedan. and i'm not talking about jags, or porsches. although bmw did alright with the 5 and 7 series...

the maxima's are alright, but the styling is getting a bit stale lately. especially given the directions other automakers are taking.

i can't speak for the other imports, the majority of my experience has been with domestic cars.

hopefully, i can push off what you are doing until i get a good look at ford's production run of the new t-bird.

my recommendation, drive everything that looks like it might work for you. that's really the only way you will know what you like.
--
G

[This message has been edited by Gonzo_442 (edited 12-08-2000).]

Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2000 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillClick Here to Email WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
Have you looked into a Subaru SVX?

230 HP flat six, AWD, and reasonably large. They don't make them anymore, though; at least not in the states.

Shiner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2000 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ShinerClick Here to Email ShinerSend a Private Message to ShinerDirect Link to This Post
How about a (I can see the flames coming a mile away..) Honda Accord? With a 5 speed, the new ones can get out of their own way pretty good. It also has a suprising amount of torque for a little 4cyl gerbil motor. They have huge trunks, and seat 4 on long trips very comfortably. And they last forever.
Black88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 298
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2000 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Black88GTSend a Private Message to Black88GTDirect Link to This Post
Yeah talons have really bad tranny's. You would think they would put a beefed up tranny to back that high Hp turboed engine, but no they put some really crappy tranny that will blow every 20k miles. I know from experience.

I think the honda accord, while being plane jane everyday run of the mill 4 door, its very reliable and it has a nice suspension for being a "family" car IMHO. Also you can pick up an early 90s one for under 7 grand.

------------------
Jeff
'88 GT t-top 3.4
Baltimore, MD

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock