gas prices and... by fiero56
Started on: 10-25-2000 11:14 PM
Replies: 10
Last post by: hugh on 10-27-2000 07:32 AM
fiero56

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2000 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero56Send a Private Message to fiero56Direct Link to This Post
Venting here. I am watching the news right now, and they are talking about how the gas prices in Indiana will rise about 4 cents, since the tax relief will be gone after mid-night tonigh. They showed cars from several neighboring states, with drivers trying to save 4 cents/gallon. I think people are nuts. If 4 cents a gallon is going to break the bank, and put someone on welfare, what the hell are they driving for in the first place. I always put premium in my car, and people think I am nuts, spending $.15 more per gallon. If you think about it, I pay about $1.50 more per tank of gas. An extra $3 a week isn't going to bankrupt me and force me to sell my car, and ride the bus. Hell, I pay almost $1,500 a year in car insurance to keep my Fiero and myself legal(barely). If you think about it, I pay about the same in extra for premium, as I do for one month of insurance. If I am with a friend, and they need to get gas, they check every gas station in sight, to see who has the cheapest gas, usually saving 1 cent/gallon(maybe .10 cents a tank). I never think about it, I go to shell, hit the "93" button, and I'm done. What is the thrill with buying the absolute cheapest gas available?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
gixxer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2000 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gixxerSend a Private Message to gixxerDirect Link to This Post
Yet these same cheapskates will go blasting by you at 85 MPH in their Ford Explorers with red-hot Firestones, getting 11 MPG and think nothing of it. Obviously the price of gas isn't high enough yet.
Go figure...
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2000 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
If you take inflation into account, gas is still waaayyyyy cheaper than it was in 86-87.
Cheever2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2000 02:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever2Send a Private Message to Cheever2Direct Link to This Post
"Amen" to all the above. Well-said, Fiero56.
ChadMan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2000 08:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ChadManSend a Private Message to ChadManDirect Link to This Post
I never could understand it either, fiero56. Earlier this year, when gas prices first spiked, all the local TV stations did regular features showing where the cheapest gas was. Then that station would be inundated with customers - some from as far as 30 miles away. How is it smart to drive 60 miles round-trip to save 2 bucks on a tankful of gas?

But the absolute worst gassholes are the left-wingers who claim gas is too cheap in the US and that gas taxes should be raised to force people to use public transit and bicycles. What hypocrites - half of 'em drive SUV's, fer chrissakes! Gas should cost what the free market economy determines and not a penny more (or less, for that matter).

fropuff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2000 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fropuffSend a Private Message to fropuffDirect Link to This Post
I agree. I don't know what the big deal's about. Even though I don't buy gas, but I still think it's dumb. There's something on the news every day about the high gas prices. Now it's the cost of heating oil and gas. If they're so worried about it, switch to electric, and don't have it turned up to 90 like most of the old people do. It's stupid. Everyone craps their pants when the price goes up 3 or 4 cents. I agree with Fiero56; just don't drive and quit your complaining. If you're so worried about it, go get a Ford Festiva or a Geo Metro, or better yet, a Hybrid. It's all the soccer moms running around in their Excursions that complain the most. Even if gas does go up 5 cents, that's only about $1.25 than what they usually paid.
Tigger

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2000 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TiggerSend a Private Message to TiggerDirect Link to This Post
I don't know... but I do know I luv my 2.5L

I agree, you have people large SUV's and lux-o-barges haul'in the mail down the highways making about 5 mpg. Those vehicles are the ones creating a HUGE demand for gas.

I majored in Economy for two semesters, so only thing I can think of:

Demand of gas rises <-> Price of gas rises

loafer87gt

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2000 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for loafer87gtSend a Private Message to loafer87gtDirect Link to This Post
The only thing that really rubs me the wrong way about the gas prices is the stupid gas tax the Canadian government added to help maintain the highways. I wouldn't mind if the money was actually going towards this, but unfortunately our roads are becoming worse and worse and they are converting quite a few of our paved roads to gravel to save money. Don't know where the gas tax money is going, but it sure ain't going to fix the roads!
2M4 Dale

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 79
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2000 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2M4 DaleSend a Private Message to 2M4 DaleDirect Link to This Post
My 87 coupe gets about 35 mpg...thats good

My 96 4X4 Suburban gets about 12...thats bad

I use plus or mid-range gas in both.

The problem is folks that I believe that we could see $3.00 + per gallon by next summer if things keep heating up in the Middle East.

Any thoughts ????????

Cheever2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2000 12:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever2Send a Private Message to Cheever2Direct Link to This Post
Americans would pay it, I know that much.
hugh

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2000 07:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hughSend a Private Message to hughDirect Link to This Post
Fropuf,In about 20 years reread your post and see if you still think the same way.In essence what I am saying is you are making blanket statements on some things you know nothing about.Electricity is more expensive to heat with than either gas or oil.How many older people do you know personally that keep their heat at 90 degrees?If they do they are rich(and in the minority).I pay for premium in my cars,because they are performance vehicles,and I can afford it.But what about the people that need their cars to get back and forth to work and have to use a disproportionate percentage of their income to do it.Not everyone has public transportation readily available to them.Should they keep their mouths shut and not complain?When you start to drive and money is tight maybe you'll feel the same way when fuel prices go up because you will be directly affected.One more thing.I don't remember because it was so long ago,but I probably felt the same as you when I was in high school.

[This message has been edited by hugh (edited 10-27-2000).]

PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock