Back from the USGP at Indy by bHooper
Started on: 09-26-2000 02:03 PM
Replies: 6
Last post by: Cheever2 on 09-27-2000 01:57 AM
bHooper

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2000 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bHooperSend a Private Message to bHooperDirect Link to This Post
if you have never been to a F1 race, and like auto racing, you have to go to the next USGP at Indy, next year!

WOW!!

Unbelievable speeds, and sounds! Unbelievable people!

We made it to the Friday afternoon practice sesion... and set in the stadium (Indycar turn 1)... there is no way to describe the sound, or the volume, that the cars made as they went buy.

As we made it towards our seats (at F1 turn one), we walked along the front straight... the cars whizzed buy us so fast, all you could see was the camera pod (sticking up above the wall) and a blur... it was imposible to make out color.

Our seats were in the first turn, at the end of the front straight... we were able to see a lot of action, the whole weekend.

The qualifying sesion was great, and the race was even better... as Couthard tried to play nascar with Schumacher, after he jumped the start... to help his teamate.

------------------
hoop
Red '86 GT

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
HugGRRRFiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2000 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HugGRRRFieroClick Here to visit HugGRRRFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to HugGRRRFieroDirect Link to This Post
Hearing an engine rev at 18,000 rpms (I think that's what some of them run, 300 revs a second... dang) has got to make a lot of noise!!!

I seen that move Schumacher made on Coulthard.. they slightly touched wheels!

What a race... even for watching it on TV. The track was excellent, fast yet still demanding in the road course section. Plenty of room to pass and race side by side and something F1 cars rarely see... Banking!

Great to hear you had a great time!!!

------------------

HugGRRRFiero@hotmail.com

[This message has been edited by HugGRRRFiero (edited 09-26-2000).]

ChadMan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2000 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ChadManSend a Private Message to ChadManDirect Link to This Post
Didn't go - watched on TV. It gave me chills to hear The Star Spangled Banner played before an F1 race. (I can only imagine what it would be like to hear it played for the winner. Damn, I wish Michael had done better in '93.)

Hoop, you said your seats were in turn 1...that would be at the end of the pit straight, right? How much of the infield course could you see?

87ECO5, Boilermaker and I (and our wives) went to Pole Day this year for the 500. I know there's no comparison to be made from a sophistication standpoint between an F1 Ferrari and an IRL Olds, but the IRL cars were still pretty impressive going by at 225 mph and 10,500 rpm.

87ECO5

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2000 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87ECO5Send a Private Message to 87ECO5Direct Link to This Post
My first time at a race. HOLY COW! What an experience!

I thank Chad and Mike for suggesting the idea! It's something I'll never forget!

Dan86gt3.8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2000 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dan86gt3.8Send a Private Message to Dan86gt3.8Direct Link to This Post
Hell yes it rocked! I watched practice on friday, qualifying on saturday and the race on sunday. By a slight misscalculation I missed like the first2-3 laps. I saw coultard trying to hold up my boy so hakenin could catch up but as we all know hakinen was due a break (I don't think he has had one all year). The rest of the race was all micheal till on the 5th or so remaining lap he drove to far up on the curb , caught some grass and spun out, but with a 30 second something lead I guess you can do that. now its micheal by like 7 or 8 points in drivers championship and big lead in the constructors.

I think the exact specefics were they were at 17,500 rpms for a full 28 seconds! But overall it was an awesome race and would love to go see it in person someday! and I would prolly **** my pants if I was ever offered to take one for a few laps, but then again the chances of them giving me an 800,000 machine is probably a tosh unlikely......

[This message has been edited by Dan86gt3.8 (edited 09-26-2000).]

bHooper

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2000 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bHooperSend a Private Message to bHooperDirect Link to This Post
the whole thing made me feel like a "young girl" (*)(*)

when we showed up for practice on friday (entered the main gate at turn one), and when i heard the sound of those cars coming through the stadium... i ran like a little girl, to the track (btw, im a 34 yo man)!

Chad, looking at the track, i was able to see from the pit exit all the way to the start of the back straight!

i picked the seats out last year, by taking a virtual lap and eyeing the spot that was most seen by the driver... it worked perfectly

------------------
hoop
Red '86 GT

Cheever2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2000 01:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever2Send a Private Message to Cheever2Direct Link to This Post
I just couldn't stay out of this one. Got interested in F-1 back when my namesake Eddie Cheever (da man) was the only American driver for several years, a fact they forgot in the broadcast. Went to many Indy practices & qualifiers, went to the 500 in 98 to see my man Eddie win it. Looks like they took away half of the infield parking to make the F-1 track, but USA needed to get them back here. U musta had some great time!!!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock