buying tires online by olympic
Started on: 08-16-2000 07:37 PM
Replies: 3
Last post by: olympic on 08-16-2000 10:53 PM
olympic

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2000 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olympicSend a Private Message to olympicDirect Link to This Post
Has anyone in Canada ever ordered tires from www.tirerack.com or www.discounttiredirect.com ? They say they ship to Canada by UPS no problem.

I am asking because they have a killer deal on some BFGoodrich tires and even with shipping, brokerage fees, currency exchange, etc I can save $120+ on a set of 4. Is there anything I should know about? Any bad experiences with these companys?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
whamel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2000 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whamelSend a Private Message to whamelDirect Link to This Post
Although it wasn't in Canada my friend just bought some stuff from Tirerack for his Z3. They tried VERY (yes, the all caps very!) hard to upsell him into a more expensive tire. Stick to your guns if they try this and you're happy with the tires you're ordering. Another friend didn't have any problems or heavy sales tactics when he bought the tires for his F150 though.
FYI - both of the orders arrived exactly as placed and exactly on the date promised. I don't know if it's luck or that's the way it works, but the two stories I have heard about them are positive.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2000 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
You also have to figure in mounting and balancing charges you'll pay once you get them. Around here that's often as high as 60$us. Add a few more dollars for new valve stems.
olympic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2000 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olympicSend a Private Message to olympicDirect Link to This Post
Here's the scoop. My local BFGoodrich dealer wants $707 CDN including tax, balancing and install for a set of these tires. www.tirerack.com wants $248 + 86.06 shipping which is about $494 CDN. Then add $34 UPS brokerage fees, a 2.5% disbursement fee of ~$10 and $36 GST(I save paying our 6% provincial tax for buying out of province) for a total of $574 CDN. I can install and balance these tires myself for free at my dads garage.

So it looks like I'd save about $133. I could save even more if they would just send the tires to me through the mail. I wouldn't have to pay the brokerage and disbursement fees. I'd also save $20-30 on the shipping cost as well.

I was just wondering if there are any costs involved that I don't know about. I contacted Canada Customs and they said that anything that is made in the US or Mexico won't have any duty or tariffs applied.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock