question for a welder by TOM
Started on: 05-23-2000 11:55 PM
Replies: 5
Last post by: TOM on 05-24-2000 03:50 PM
TOM

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2000 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TOMSend a Private Message to TOMDirect Link to This Post
I need someone that is a welder in the know, not someone with a welder in ther garage or that knows how to weld. I need to know if a regular mig unit can be converted to mig aluminum. Can you change the gas and wire or is there more to it.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Cooter

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2000 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CooterSend a Private Message to CooterDirect Link to This Post
Tom- I dont know if this helps or not but I was going to do some welding on an intake so I checked on what it would take. I was told by the welding supply shop that you could do it with aluminum wire and 100 percent Argon gas instead of the argon/Co2 mix for steel welding. I never did it because I found a guy to TIG weld the intake for less than the costs of the stuff for my welder.
fierospeeder

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
User Banned

Report this Post05-24-2000 01:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierospeederClick Here to visit fierospeeder's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierospeederDirect Link to This Post
im pretty sure www.eastwood.com sells a kit for their lincoln welders.
BENGAL4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2000 08:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BENGAL4Send a Private Message to BENGAL4Direct Link to This Post
Tom,

In order to change to aluminum, you have to change your liner in the gun. You need a teflon liner. Everything else should be OK. As Cooter said, you need 100% argon as a shielding gas. Now this is for aluminum plate. If you are doing aluminum casting, I would not recommend the mig process. A casting has entrapped gas which could contaminate the weld. E-mail me with the base alloy and if it is sheet or casting, and I will help you with the process. E-mail at work is BWilburn@fmmafco.com

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2000 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
Some of it will also depend on exactly what welder you have. If you can't get the parts you can't convert it. If it's a lincoln I'd call them. They can tell you exactly what part(s) you need.

The wire welders usually want certain wire sizes. AL wire tends to be pretty thick. you have to make sure the drive rollers and feed tube can pass it properly.

When you change gases you may also need to change the regulator. At the least you'll likely need to change the fitting. Diferant gasses often have diferant fittings and may require diferant regulators because of diferances in cylinder pressure and the fact some gasses don't like the materials some regulators are made from.

TOM

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2000 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TOMSend a Private Message to TOMDirect Link to This Post
thanks for all the info. I will look into getting the stuff together. I thought helium was the gas for aluminum. It will all be plate and extrusions. Nothing cast.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock