Started on: 03-01-2000 10:02 AM
Replies: 22
Last post by: Monkeyman on 03-09-2000 05:08 AM
Raydar

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2000 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarClick Here to Email RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Most anybody who lives near Atlanta is already familiar with these. For those thinking about visiting or just passing through...

BASIC RULES FOR DRIVING IN ATLANTA

A right lane construction closure is just a game to see how many people can cut in line by passing you on the right as you sit in the left lane waiting for he same jerks to squeeze their way back in before hitting the orange construction barrels.

Turn signals will give away your next move. A real Atlanta driver never uses them.

Under no circumstances should you leave a safe distance between you and the car in front of you, or the space will be filled in by somebody else putting you in an even more dangerous situation.

Crossing two or more lanes in a single lane-change is considered "going with the flow."

The faster you drive through a red light, the smaller the chance you have of getting hit.

Never get in the way of an older car that needs extensive bodywork. The driver doesn't have anything to lose.

Braking is to be done as hard and late as possible to ensure that your ABS kicks in, giving a nice, relaxing foot massage as the brake pedal pulsates. For those of you without ABS, it's a chance to stretch your legs.

Construction signs tell you about road closures immediately after you pass the last exit before the traffic begins to back up.

The new electronic traffic warning system signs are not there to provide useful information. They are only there to make Atlanta look high-tech and to distract you from seeing the Cobb County police car parked in the median.

Never pass on the left when you can pass on the right. It's a good way to scare people entering the highway.

Speed limits are arbitrary figures, given only as suggestions and are apparently not enforceable in the metro area during rush hour.

Just because you're in the left lane and have no room to speed up or move over doesn't mean that an Atlanta driver flashing his high beams behind you doesn't think he can go faster in your spot.

Please remember that there is no such thing as a shortcut during rush-hour traffic in Atlanta.

Always slow down and rubberneck when you see an accident or even someone changing a tire.

Throwing litter on the roads adds variety to the landscape, keeps the existing litter from getting lonely, and gives Adopt-a-highway crews something to clean up.

Everybody thinks their vehicle is better than yours, especially pick-up truck drivers with stickers of Calvin peeing on a Ford, Dodge or Chevy logo.

Learn to swerve abruptly. Atlanta is the home of high-speed slalom driving thanks to GDOT, which puts potholes in key locations to test drivers' reflexes and keep them on their toes.

It is traditional in Atlanta to honk your horn at cars that don't move the instant the light changes.

Seeking eye contact with another driver revokes your right of way.

Never take a green light at face value. Always look right and left before proceeding.

Remember that the goal of every Atlanta driver is to get there first, by whatever means necessary.

Real Atlanta women drivers can put on pantyhose and apply eye makeup at seventy-five miles per hour in bumper-to-bumper traffic.

Real Atlanta men drivers can remove pantyhose and a bra at seventy-five miles per hour in bumper-to-bumper traffic.

Ice, snow, fog, and rain are no reason to change any of the previously listed rules. These weather conditions are God's way ensuring a natural selection process for body shops, junkyards, and new vehicle sales.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2000 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post
LOL!! Unfortunately, I've been to Atlanta many times. You're right about everything except one. When have you ever been able to do 75mph in rush hour traffic (which, BTW, lasts approximately 26.4 hours/day)??? The same rules apply to some other small towns, too. Chicago (2 seasons: Winter and Construction) is one of the worst. Chicago is getting so bad that construction is now a tourist attraction!
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2000 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarClick Here to Email RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
MM... From the outlying counties ("Metro" Atlanta is now about 60 miles wide), the traffic actually moves at 75-80 MPH, until it starts to back up. Usually about 10-15 miles from the center of town. I saw 82 MPH, this morning. With a Honda minivan right on my ass. Thinking about getting a job in Anniston (Ala). Will be more miles, but will still take less commute time. Easier on the truck (I don't commute much in the Fiero) and the nerves.
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2000 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post
Raydar--I was referring to 285, but I know what you're talking about. Been to Anniston, too. Rather be there than Hotlanta.
Cooter

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2000 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CooterSend a Private Message to CooterDirect Link to This Post
Y'all are too funny! I drive through Anniston everyday going to the big metro of Weaver! Everything mentioned above also applies to Anniston, except on a smaller scale.
fierospeeder

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
User Banned

Report this Post03-02-2000 12:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierospeederClick Here to visit fierospeeder's HomePageClick Here to Email fierospeederSend a Private Message to fierospeederDirect Link to This Post
Forgot that monkeyman lives in the same state as me.
People drive the same here too.
I-55 is suppose to be become a 2 lane highway again.
I take 290 going to school and back. 290 has two entrance and two exit ramps on the left lanes so it makes a lot of traffic. Its because they have the L trains on the right side and designed it that way. The other ramps are on the right side. I hate this highway from 1st ave to chi town cause the slow drivers are all across the road. You would think they would move to the slow lanes.
Anyone hate these idiots, your trying to make a lane change to get to the exit ramp. You got your turn signal on for an hour, and the dickhead on your right is doing what your doing. Im slowing down so i can get behind him so i can get into his lane, but he starts slowing down, then i speed up but he speeds up, and after 3 minutes of going through this crap i miss my exit. Doesn't happen all the time but just on occasion.
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2000 07:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post
fierospeeder--Actually, I live in Indiana, but after 13 years of driving a truck, I think I've seen Chicago almost as much as those that live there. As a matter of fact, I have to drive through there next weekend to pick up my GT (in Wheaton).
pherder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2000 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pherderSend a Private Message to pherderDirect Link to This Post
Raydar,

Thanks so very much for the instructions!!! I will be in Atlanta Tuesday and needed them!

Will be landing @ ATL and driving to FYT to do work @ the Raytheon Aircraft Services site that night and then flying out the next afternoon (to Birmingham, AL) to do the same work at their site.

I guess I have the experience to drive there ... I used to survive the daily commute in the Dallas/Fort Worth metromess AND I just was up in the Chicago/Rockford area! I like the funny signs they have up in northern IL, you know the ones ... they have "Speed Limit 55" on them? I swear that if I didn't do 75, I would have been run over by EVERYONE! As it was, I was passed by everything.

Paul

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2000 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarClick Here to Email RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Paul, Hope you have a good trip to Atlanta. What is FYT? Based on your post I would guess that it's an airport, but I'm not familiar with the city codes. I was in (near) Dallas a few years ago, for a week of training at Alcatel. I really didn't have any difficulty with the traffic. Of course, I wasn't driving from the 'burbs into the city every day, either.
pherder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2000 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pherderSend a Private Message to pherderDirect Link to This Post
Raydar,

It is Fulton County Airport-Brown Field in North-west Atlanta (?)

I fly into Atlanta International, get my Hertz rental (with the Neverlost system - GPS directions - VERY neat!) and drive to Fulton County Airport-Brown Field to work. I am staying at the Amerisuites Hotel, north of the airport.

The next day I return to Fulton County Airport-Brown Field and make sure everything is working as required and drive back to Atlanta International and fly to Birmingham, AL and do it all again!

Paul

HotFieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2000 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HotFieroGTClick Here to Email HotFieroGTSend a Private Message to HotFieroGTDirect Link to This Post
That sounds like Charlie Brown airport, but I thought that was in Douglas county? I just moved to California from Georgia a couple of years ago, lived in Gwinnett Co., just south of Snellville, still own a rental house there. Don't miss Georgia traffic one bit, used to drive over an hour to work in Georgia, now drive a total of 15 minutes. I bet GA 400 is as bad or worse than 285 now! They call all that growth in Georgia progress, I would say they are ruining it.
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2000 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarClick Here to Email RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Yep. That's Charlie Brown. Think it's in Fulton County -just barely. Know some folks that work there. (DOT)
Drive past it (sorta) on I-20, every morning. One of my *least* favorite sections of I-20. Seems like there is a wreck every day on that lonnnng downhill just west of there.
400 is pretty crazy. We call it 'The Alpharetta Autobahn".
sdm1964

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2000 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sdm1964Click Here to Email sdm1964Send a Private Message to sdm1964Direct Link to This Post
I know what you all mean, i drive to canton and rome once a month for drill, In the Guard, i think it takes me longer to get thru atlanta than to get to atlanta. It is always fun with all that traffic. Coming from a town with 2 stop lights and both on the same block, it is a real treat. The sad part about what you said is it is all true.
fiero56

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2000 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero56Send a Private Message to fiero56Direct Link to This Post
The part I hate about driving around town, are those stupid crosswalk stop lights. You know, the ones that stop traffic in the middle of a block, not for other traffic(cars), but so pedestrians can cross. Thats what the intersections are for, or jaywalking(my favorite form of exercise ).
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2000 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarClick Here to Email RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Several years ago, I was working in Deerfield Beach (near Ft. Lauderdale). The ONLY way to cross the street, safely, was to jaywalk. It was really dangerous to try to cross at the intersections. All the cars would bunch up at the traffic lights. There were no pedestrian signals. Think you'd get a break? Not likely.
Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2000 02:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageClick Here to Email OreifSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post
Just to help Monkeyman out,
ILLINOIS State flag: Big orange diamond that says " Road Construction ahead"
ILLINOIS State Animal :"Construction Horse"
ILLINOIS State Flower: " Lights on a construction horse"

What's big, orange and sleeps 6?
An IDOT truck!

ILLINOIS State Motto: "Flagman ahead"

pherder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2000 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pherderSend a Private Message to pherderDirect Link to This Post
Rayday,

HEY! I see Atlanta has the same funny signs that Chicago has!! You know, the ones that have "Speed Limit 55" on them?

Found that if I did 70-75 mph I could just keep up with traffic!

Then there was that kid that just had to pass me in a left turn lane and then stick his nose in front of me. Almost took him out. Just didn't want to do the paperwork with Hertz!

Thank the programming gods for the Neverlost system that Hertz has. It got me to where I needed to go without ever knowing where the !#$#@$ I was!

Paul

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2000 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarClick Here to Email RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Paul, I know what you mean. I think those signs must be out of order, or sumpin'. I don't think they have worked for five years now. Maybe the DOT ought to take 'em down.
A few years ago, my brother and his wife took a vacation that included a trip to Manhatten. He told me that driving in Atlanta was *excellent* training for his trip.
BTW... Give me a shout, the next time you're going to be in Atlanta. I live on the west side of the city. Buy ya' a beer or something. Got "wrapped up" in a broken dishwasher this week, otherwise I would have offered this time.
fierospeeder

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
User Banned

Report this Post03-08-2000 12:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierospeederClick Here to visit fierospeeder's HomePageClick Here to Email fierospeederSend a Private Message to fierospeederDirect Link to This Post
Actually Chicago's speedlimit is 55, in all three lanes. People dont get the concept of the fast lane and the slow lane yet. The tollway going to wisconsin is the only time i see people going faster then 55. Im usually the one you see going faster then 70, if im lucky to get that fast.

There is major construction on I-55 now, it is a two lane highway instead of a three lane. Now we have alternate routes and that causes traffic for me now. I take ogden to school, aka Route 66, and in the mornings its bad. More traffic and a lot more bad drivers. No more highway driving for me.

pherder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2000 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pherderSend a Private Message to pherderDirect Link to This Post
Raydar,

Thanks for the offer! Unfortunately, I am in and out so quick (and I do my work @ 5-9 PM) that I just don't have the time to meet with people.

Today, I am in Birmingham, AL and got in little a little early and gave a lot of thought of going up to visit Ed Parks. Just don't have the time for a 3-4 hour break in the day.

Well, I will visit the Parks during the swap meet! I have time off scheduled and will be bringing one of my 88 Fieros for sale.

Later. And BTW, the traffic was light today on 285! Didn't have to kill anyone to get to the airport!

Paul

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2000 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarClick Here to Email RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Cool! Take care. I'll see you at Ed's.

HEY!!! YO!!!
Any other Forum members going to attend?

PFF
System Bot
fiero56

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2000 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero56Send a Private Message to fiero56Direct Link to This Post
I plan to attend Ed's swap meet in April.
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2000 05:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post
Hopefully next year.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock