front bump stops by jon m
Started on: 05-02-2013 05:49 AM
Replies: 13
Last post by: jon m on 05-07-2013 04:21 PM
jon m

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2013 05:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jon mSend a Private Message to jon mDirect Link to This Post
Hi - just a quick question regarding front bump stops and cutting them down.

does cutting down the front bump stops really need to be done when replacing stock springs with lowered springs???

now not to cause confusion here - I know members on here have used their stock springs and cut then down a coil or so - but surely when you fit a manufactured lowered spring it would be stiffer than a stock spring?

all input and opinions are always welcome

jon
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ZCR1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2013 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZCR1Send a Private Message to ZCR1Direct Link to This Post
I would drive it for a bit first. Then if you can feel that you're hitting the stops, I'd start by just drilling a few holes through them to soften the impact.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2013 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jon m:

now not to cause confusion here...

Well, you better start by giving the year of your Fiero then.

'88 is completely different than all the earlier years and '84 is bit different from the rest.

This current thread Here will probably answer your questions.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 05-02-2013).]

JCircs

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2013 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsDirect Link to This Post
I just replaced the complete suspension with lowering springs on my 87, the front feels fine, the rear hit the stop on a speed bump with a passenger in the car. So far that's the only time I felt it hit, keep in mind I just had everything installed last week and time will tell.
jon m

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2013 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jon mSend a Private Message to jon mDirect Link to This Post
sorry for the confusion - it a 1987 gt - I am in the process of putting lowering springs in the front and fitting coil overs in the back

thanks for the input so far

jon
jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2013 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Direct Link to This Post
Yes, cut them by the difference in height plus the thickness of the bumper. Then take the bumper mount and cut it off the remaining bump stop you cut off right at the rolled edge and flip it over and pound it into the stump left in the car and weld it into place. then you still have a rubber bump stop at the right height and in case it does bottom out it hits the rubber cushion as it is supposed to and not explode your shock. on one of the last pages of my build thread in the construction zone you can see how I cut it . I used the intrax lowering springs front and back. Project Robochop is the build thread. Oh and my choptop is a 87 as well.

[This message has been edited by jetsnvettes2000 (edited 05-02-2013).]

jon m

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2013 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jon mSend a Private Message to jon mDirect Link to This Post
thanks for the help so far - I looked at west coast fieros website and it says to cut 3/4inch out of the bump stop - that is about 18mm does taking as little of this out of the bump stop make that much difference?

jon
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2013 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

thanks for the help so far - I looked at west coast fieros website and it says to cut 3/4inch out of the bump stop - that is about 18mm does taking as little of this out of the bump stop make that much difference?

From the link in my previous post...

Originally posted by Patrick:

The following is from Here. The reason why 3/4" is the suggested maximum removed from the bump stops (which translates to about 1 1/2" of added travel at the wheel) is because any more removed from the bump stops would result in the front shocks bottoming out.

I autocrossed a few times before I realized my lowered '84 was sitting on the front bump stops. Yes, it made a helluva difference in the handling when we did the procedure posted above and I again had a functional suspension!

Jon, what else do you need to hear?

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 05-03-2013).]

jon m

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2013 07:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jon mSend a Private Message to jon mDirect Link to This Post

Jon, what else do you need to hear?

well that told me then LOL

I just want to be absolute certain like in the saying " measure twice cut once "

Anyway back to the topic.

I have got the bump stop housing marked out with a 3/4 inch band ready for cutting out - however something has got me curious

what if instead of cutting the bump stop housing and re welding back in - could you just cut the actual rubber bump stop down 3/4 inch (18mm to us europeans) ????

this would save time and still keep the metal bump stop housing original.

all opinions welcome

jon
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2013 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

what if instead of cutting the bump stop housing and re welding back in - could you just cut the actual rubber bump stop down 3/4 inch (18mm to us europeans) ????

this would save time and still keep the metal bump stop housing original.

Jon, why do you think the rubber bump stop is as thick as it is?

If you cut down the '84-'87 front rubber bump stops by that amount, you risk fracturing your dentures anytime the front suspension bottoms out over a large rut. And with a lowered suspension, you will bottom it out on occasion.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 05-04-2013).]

jon m

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2013 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jon mSend a Private Message to jon mDirect Link to This Post
ok fair comment just a thought though

thanks again
jon
PFF
System Bot
jon m

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2013 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jon mSend a Private Message to jon mDirect Link to This Post
right then - just for illustration purposes for any owners thinking of lowering their cars. I used a 1mm wafer thin cutting disc on my grinder and cut it very steady and tig welded it back together which took no longer than 20 mins after a little cleaning with the grinder.

here's the drivers side cut down and rewelded which I did this afternoon.

how it looks painted

and this is the scrap 3/4 inch removed (please bear in mind the pic is on its side as I always have trouble trying to upload pics using pip)

just have to wait for my new bump stops to arrive from the fierostore then I can fit my lowering springs

thanks to all that inputed their opinions and knowledge

jon
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2013 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Looks like you did a real nice job.

Just get the new rubber bumpers on there and you'll be all set.
jon m

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2013 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jon mSend a Private Message to jon mDirect Link to This Post
thanks patrick - I apologise if I ask too many questions but I always want to be 100% sure and especially where cutting is involved.

thanks again
jon

btw - the passenger side gets it tomorrow

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock