Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  The Gray Tint Door Glasses Are Finally Under Production! $160 EA DUE APRIL

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

The Gray Tint Door Glasses Are Finally Under Production! $160 EA DUE APRIL by prosource
Started on: 03-02-2013 05:38 PM
Replies: 31
Last post by: SLOWnSTEADY on 04-17-2013 11:16 AM
prosource

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2013 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for prosourceClick Here to visit prosource's HomePageSend a Private Message to prosourceDirect Link to This Post
After the long delay from folks that decided not to spend the money for the US made glass, we have finally have moved from carrying the green tint to having the gray tint produced. I am going to copy and paste what one of the engineers emailed regarding light transmittance etc. But i am sure that the gray tinting coefficient which is fairly standard in the fron t door glasses of many cars today will be the same- around 30% and legal in all 50. They are $160 eam just $10 more than the green tint. We still have a few sets of green if anyone wants.
If anyone would like a picture of what the facory normally offers for gray tint or to place an order please email me at info@prosourceglassintl.com
All who have communicated will get an email shortly. we are asking for 50% deposit, balance when we ship in April. I think we will have early April but never know exact date til we get notification. We can ship more than 1 set for marginally more money.
Thanks,
Richard

Please see what we received as noted above:

The percentage that we in the glass industry give to our glass is the percentage of light that is allowed through the glass. For example, factory front door glass allows 70-84% of light to go through it.

Unfortunately, most people outside the industry are backwards and give the percentage of darkness or the percentage of light that is NOT allowed to go through the glass. So their 30% is more times than not the same as our 70%. You must be sure to specify the percentage as the amount of light transmittance. See below for more detail information...

Factory front door glass in ALL modern vehicles is Solar Green which ranges from 70-76% light transmittance depending on thickness. All glass in a regular non-utility vehicles is Solar Green as well.

Glass behind the front doors in utility vehicles such as SUV's, vans, and pickup trucks can be Dark Gray. Dark Gray ranges from 13-23% light transmittance depending on thickness.

We offer a Light Gray glass that has a light transmittance that is in between the two mentioned above. Light Gray has a light transmittance around 51%. The glass is not used in any regular production vehicles except for mass transit vehicles such as buses. We can use it for whatever you want, but it is illegal to have in a vehicle on the road in certain states.

[This message has been edited by prosource (edited 03-02-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2013 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
Where do we send the money?

Also, if you have any other people interested from Ontario, Canada, please let me know as we may be able to combine shipping.

Thank you
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2013 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
Many Fiero owners, including myself, need side window glass but the unanswered question is installation. To change glass you must remove the inner and outer door skins, drill out the window roller rivets, and disconnect a number of other items. Many owners are ill prepared to take on this task.
If you want to sell glass I suggest that you put up a video tutorial on how to replace the glass. Many owners may not be able to DIY or would be hessitant to tackle it without a full tutorial.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

prosource

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2013 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for prosourceClick Here to visit prosource's HomePageSend a Private Message to prosourceDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by doublec4:

Where do we send the money?

Also, if you have any other people interested from Ontario, Canada, please let me know as we may be able to combine shipping.

Thank you

You can call us during the day toll free 877-345-2800 for credit card payment. If you want to pay by PayPal, we can send a request for payment, just send us your email address.
If paying directly to payPal our acct is richardt@prosourceglassintl.com (my personal email). Any general questions info@prosourceglassintl.com
We will only ask for 50% of the $320 for now not including any freight until the time of shipment and see if any others combine. It is only an extra $20-30 for a second pair added to the box.
Anyone in Ontario feel free to jump in or email us and we can advise.
prosource

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2013 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for prosourceClick Here to visit prosource's HomePageSend a Private Message to prosourceDirect Link to This Post

prosource

105 posts
Member since Apr 2012

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Many Fiero owners, including myself, need side window glass but the unanswered question is installation. To change glass you must remove the inner and outer door skins, drill out the window roller rivets, and disconnect a number of other items. Many owners are ill prepared to take on this task.
If you want to sell glass I suggest that you put up a video tutorial on how to replace the glass. Many owners may not be able to DIY or would be hessitant to tackle it without a full tutorial.

Dennis:
Our family ahs been out of the installation end for decades. Many glass shops can and have installed these. We sold dozens of NOS door glasses throughout the US and Canada. I know of several good install companies.
For folks who want to ask some specific questions on install techniques, there is glassbytes.com where the industry asks questions on speciif9ic installs.
There is also the Auto Glass Journal which over the years has done I am sure a profile on every type of automobile glass install. I have not checked recently but I believe you can now access on line.
Hope it helps. Let me know.
Richard
Kemp3

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2013 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kemp3Send a Private Message to Kemp3Direct Link to This Post
Very interested in this glass , would love to see some pictures of it.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2013 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post
The glass here is first class and they are good to their word on delivery. I am very happy with my new factory glass.

As for install it is not all that hard to figure out. First off the door skin does not have to come off as there are ways to get the glass in with out removing it. One of the Canadian Fiero clubs has an out line on the web some place.

If you can't figure it out or if you do not feel you can do it then just take it to a glass shop and pay them to install them. It is safe and while it is a little labor it will save you the grief of dealing with it. Don't work hard work smarter.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2013 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
Pictures of the glass?

Also if nobody else in Ontario buys a set, how much is it for shipping to Ontario for just a pair?

Thanks!
Riceburner98

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2013 08:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Direct Link to This Post
Here's a picture of the green tint glass Richard sent me yesterday. Just sent in my deposit for the grey glass, can't wait! Have to make sure to replace the felt guides.. My 5 year old Scion tC was starting to scratch the glass, finally dug in there with a brush and knocked all the grit out. I don't think there's anything left on my Fiero ones.

(link to huge picture -> http://home.comcast.net/~ri...ewFieroDoorGlass.JPG )

Here's a (small) picture of a grey window with the same grey tint they'll be using:
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2013 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post
Pictures do not mean much as the glass just looks like stock glass. The detail that is only different from stock is the LOF tag is not on the glass.

Note there is nothing on the glass so while we are missing the LOF tag they did the next best thing and not put anything on.
zmcdonal

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2013 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalDirect Link to This Post
I am pretty excited about widow glass being offered FINALLY, especially with a grey tint, very cool!! The windows on my 86 GT project car are very scratched, and the ones on my 87GT are decent but it looks like they have welding splatter on them. Now I just have to save up enough scratch to buy some, lol, and hope they are still being offered when I get past the other necessities on my list.

------------------

PFF
System Bot
prosource

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2013 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for prosourceClick Here to visit prosource's HomePageSend a Private Message to prosourceDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by doublec4:

Pictures of the glass?

Also if nobody else in Ontario buys a set, how much is it for shipping to Ontario for just a pair?

Thanks!

We will charge you $75 freight UPS Ground. I know UPS charges a lot for brokerage which they will get from you seperately unless you have a broker through someone at work or if it is shipped to US border for pick up at the UPS terminal.. probably not worth the trip assuming you are a drive of more than an hr. Let me know. There is a good chance between now and April someone will add. We had inquiries from a few in Canada but no 2 are in the same province.
prosource

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2013 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for prosourceClick Here to visit prosource's HomePageSend a Private Message to prosourceDirect Link to This Post

prosource

105 posts
Member since Apr 2012

Originally posted by Kemp3:

Very interested in this glass , would love to see some pictures of it.
The small picture Robert posted is the one sent from the manufacturer of the gray tint used. they have never produced these in gray til now- just for us.
We may have them stamp the LOF logo on the glass, something they do not normally do when producing specifically for a customer and not selling themselves direct to the end user. I will know shortly.

It's $55-60 UPS to CA for pair.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2013 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
Let's get a few more people in from Ontario! Share the brokerage/shipping fees while we can!
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2013 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by prosource:

Dennis:
Our family ahs been out of the installation end for decades. Many glass shops can and have installed these. We sold dozens of NOS door glasses throughout the US and Canada. I know of several good install companies.
For folks who want to ask some specific questions on install techniques, there is glassbytes.com where the industry asks questions on speciif9ic installs.
There is also the Auto Glass Journal which over the years has done I am sure a profile on every type of automobile glass install. I have not checked recently but I believe you can now access on line.
Hope it helps. Let me know.
Richard

I do not doubt that side glass can be installed by a professional but my interest in DIY. Towards this end I will try to find the correct method of installation and share it here I will be buying a set next month as soon as finances permit. Thanks for the info on the glass websites.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

cptsnoopy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2013 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyDirect Link to This Post
I hope to swap my glass out in a couple of weeks. The door skins and panels are already removed so it will just be the nitty-gritty. If it looks possible, I hope to have them tinted prior to installation. I bought the stock green tint because I was not sure when or if the grey would become available. I will attempt to take pics and notes to post here.

Charlie
Carcenomy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2013 04:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarcenomyClick Here to visit Carcenomy's HomePageSend a Private Message to CarcenomyDirect Link to This Post
I'd love a set but bollocks if the finances aren't tight around the household and I'm terrified of what the shipping would work out to.
Rick 88

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2013 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post
The gray one's will look great on my Mera! I'd like to install them myself so they align properly. I hate wind noise and I have had some installers that don't want to spend the time to adjust the glass properly. Hope to see the DIY thread for installation posted here.
prosource

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2013 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for prosourceClick Here to visit prosource's HomePageSend a Private Message to prosourceDirect Link to This Post
I realize the practicality of do it yourselfers and the savings adds up. But someone who moonlights on the side maybe able to pop those in within an hr or hour and half for $50 bucks I am guessing if it is cash.
I have a good relationship with Safelite as well as Windshields To Go. I could probably get a flat deal for these installed depending on the region..
Anyone in Canada contemplating a trip to the Boston area or somewhere in southern New England, it would be worthwhile to take back sets for others. If they are paid for I don't mind holding some sets when they come in April for a month or 2. Just something to think about. I know how the transport costs and related fees are!
Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2013 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post
We have Safelite in El Paso. Let me know if you can get me a deal on installation here. I just want to make sure they don't scratch them and they seal properly.
prosource

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2013 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for prosourceClick Here to visit prosource's HomePageSend a Private Message to prosourceDirect Link to This Post
We have not done any business with Safelite in that area or most of Texas in a while but I am trying to reach out to them. I would see what you can do since they don't have access to the grey tint door glasses being made. Let me know what they charge for labor, curious. Just give them Glass Part#'s DD6717 & DD6718. They should have a labor rate for that.
The Glass Doctor is another one that is franchised and based in Texas, they have a little better reputation, good to compare.
PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2013 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by cptsnoopy:

I hope to swap my glass out in a couple of weeks. The door skins and panels are already removed so it will just be the nitty-gritty. If it looks possible, I hope to have them tinted prior to installation. I bought the stock green tint because I was not sure when or if the grey would become available. I will attempt to take pics and notes to post here.

Charlie

That would be great! Please do!
Unless paying someone is only $50 i will likley do it myself. I would bet most glass places have never worked on a Fiero. I already have new dew wipes waiting to be installed at the same time. But my car gets around during summer and I will likley install over next winter if I do it myself.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2013 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

I believe a tutorial would be good, but you do not need to remove the outer door panel. Only the inner. Then you remove the power lock and the window regulator. Once that is done, remove the stops from the glass and it comes right out.

Here is a set of instructions I made for installing power windows/locks: http://michiganfieroclub.com/files/power.pdf

There are only a few bump stops on the glass to remove and it comes right out the top.

[This message has been edited by jaskispyder (edited 03-14-2013).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2013 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

There are only a few bump stops on the glass to remove and it comes right out the top.

Cool.
Manual windows on my Formula similar? Base coupe same?
sricka01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2013 02:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sricka01Send a Private Message to sricka01Direct Link to This Post
For 88 GT, how does one know if they have grey or green tinted door glass? What came OEM? I would rather replace one, not both.
Riceburner98

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2013 06:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Direct Link to This Post
Grey is really grey, nothing like stock. "Green" might be closer, but will probably not be exactly the same color as stock.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2013 08:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Cool.
Manual windows on my Formula similar? Base coupe same?

All the parts are the same, except for manual vs power regulator (that is the only difference.... the lift mech.). I have done this swap on two Fieros and swapped windows on one.

[This message has been edited by jaskispyder (edited 03-15-2013).]

dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post03-15-2013 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sricka01:

For 88 GT, how does one know if they have grey or green tinted door glass? What came OEM? I would rather replace one, not both.

The Solar Green (as stated) is the OEM color. However, 25+ year old glass isn't going to look the same as new, so if you only replace one, you'll probably see a visual difference between the new side and the old side.
prosource

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2013 01:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for prosourceClick Here to visit prosource's HomePageSend a Private Message to prosourceDirect Link to This Post
Just wanted to upgrade the post for any who want a pair or go in as a group buy. We have presold many sets and still have some that will be available. Now is the ideal time as the weather improves and a reminder that we should have an update soon on eta.
We did sell out of the green tint on one side and still have a couple of the passenger sides. We should be getting some pairs fairly soon for anyone who missed out. Hopefully after April 15th tax deadline some will be in a better position.
Feel free to contact me at info@prosourceglassintl.com or toll free 877-345-2800
There are some NOS back windows green tint only still available. It won't take long for all to be gone with no reproduction plans.
cptsnoopy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2013 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyDirect Link to This Post
email sent

Charlie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2013 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by prosource:

Light Gray has a light transmittance around 51%.

Do these by chance come with anything that we can show the cops that says it transmits 51% of the light?
In MN that is the legal limit.

Anyone been puled over for tint? Do they check it with something or just ask you, or just tell you its too dark because they guess it is?
PFF
System Bot
SLOWnSTEADY

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2013 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SLOWnSTEADYSend a Private Message to SLOWnSTEADYDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Do these by chance come with anything that we can show the cops that says it transmits 51% of the light?
In MN that is the legal limit.

Anyone been puled over for tint? Do they check it with something or just ask you, or just tell you its too dark because they guess it is?

They have a meter they'll throw on the window that measures it...

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock