Started on: 02-23-2013 06:07 PM
Replies: 14
Last post by: jaredmurray88 on 04-28-2013 08:28 PM
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2013 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
Since my car doesn't have the hinge boxes, the stock torsion springs are long gone. It also has the tops of the struts relocated inboard 1", so Rodney's lift cylinder brackets wont fit without modification either.

So I wanted to see if I could use the factory hood support in the rear for the decklid. I cut the bottom of the support 3" shorter, moved the hood bracket to the base and fabbed up a new top bracket that bolts to the decklid. I think it worked out pretty well...

New bracket at decklid. I still need to round off all the corners and paint it, but you get the general idea. The 3 holes all thread into the steel reinforcement inside the cradle, so the attachment is quite solid.

Base mount at the trunk firewall:

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
rpro

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2013 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rproSend a Private Message to rproDirect Link to This Post
Great low cost mod. I also like the fact that you can now prop the hood in the middle position rather than full open. + for you

[This message has been edited by rpro (edited 02-23-2013).]

FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2013 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post
Pretty cool!

------------------

88 Coupe: 2.0L Turbo 4 Cylinder, W2A, T25 Turbo.
84 Indy #64: Restoration Project/Super Duty swap

Jefrysuko

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2013 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoDirect Link to This Post
Guru, do you have an electric trunk release on your car? I'm just wondering if it would try and relatch itself without any upward spring force. Might be able to repurpose the front hood cowl spring as well if so.
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2013 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jefrysuko:

Guru, do you have an electric trunk release on your car? I'm just wondering if it would try and relatch itself without any upward spring force. Might be able to repurpose the front hood cowl spring as well if so.

No truck release... A/C, tilt column and sunroof (which is being deleted) are about the only options on this car.

I think the sponginess of the trunk seal is enough to keep it from latching once it was released.
Rodney's decklid lift cylinders do not provide any assist with the decklid down, and I have never heard anyone complain about the trunk release function, so I think it is a non-issue.
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2013 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
Another great idea Guru!
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2013 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rpro:

I also like the fact that you can now prop the hood in the middle position rather than full open. + for you

Correct!

Fully Open:

Partially Open:
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2013 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadDirect Link to This Post
The design actually originated as the Corvair rear deck lid suppport ......

Kinda full circle, huh?
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2013 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

The design actually originated as the Corvair rear deck lid suppport ......

Kinda full circle, huh?

I actually saw the EXACT SAME hood support on my uncle's all-original 1969 Corvette Stingray Convertible. Everything was exactly the same, I just think his had different mounting brackets. Thought it was funny.

Jefrysuko

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2013 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

I think the sponginess of the trunk seal is enough to keep it from latching once it was released.
Rodney's decklid lift cylinders do not provide any assist with the decklid down, and I have never heard anyone complain about the trunk release function, so I think it is a non-issue.

The first Fiero I owned back in the early 90's would relatch itself on the bounce if I didn't hold the switch long enough. These days all the Fieros I come across need their trunk gasket replaced. Your probably right that a gasket in decent condition would pop it open enough.
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2013 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
Great use of that part, very resourceful!
PFF
System Bot
av8fiero

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2013 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for av8fieroSend a Private Message to av8fieroDirect Link to This Post
I was thinking of doing the same thing to my car as well, nice job on pulling it off. You may want to consider using the front deck release cable assy on the rear deck as well if you're interested in an alternative to the electric popper. Here is a thread showing the front release cable and handle installed to operate the rear deck. https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/118475.html

[This message has been edited by av8fiero (edited 02-24-2013).]

jaredmurray88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2013 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaredmurray88Send a Private Message to jaredmurray88Direct Link to This Post
Do you happen to have any dimmensions on the plate guru? I figure I would just ask instead of trying to scale up the laptop image lol.
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2013 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerDirect Link to This Post
I wonder if it could be used as a limit for people who have added hood scoops on their deck lids. I don't know if any of them bump the rear glass or not. Just thinking it forward.

------------------
Jonathan

Please join me in prayer that forum member Wichita gives his life to the Lord Jesus.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum6/HTML/100383.html
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/121056.html

jaredmurray88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2013 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaredmurray88Send a Private Message to jaredmurray88Direct Link to This Post
If it hits just shave off the prop body some. Or one could slot/drill multiple hole to make it adjustable.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock