Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  New triangle thingie in ratingsbar. What is it? (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
New triangle thingie in ratingsbar. What is it? by Cliff Pennock
Started on: 02-08-2013 06:11 PM
Replies: 45
Last post by: bmwguru on 02-10-2013 05:42 AM
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2013 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockDirect Link to This Post
I'm not asking, since... well... I know what it is, but I've seen this question pop up already - even though it's only been active for less than 30 minutes!

I didn't exactly know what to call it, but I saw someone call it a "recent ratings trend indication". And that's really what it is - with a slight twist. But I'll explain that later.

The short explanation is, that it's an indication of how you've been rated in the past 30 days. If someone rates you positive, the indicator moves to the right (to the green zone). If someone rates you negative, it moves to the left.

Now the long explanation.

First of all, this indicator works completely separately from the "normal" ratings. Meaning nothing has changed to the way the rating system works. You still get banned once you reach a certain amount of negative ratings.

Anyway, this indicator actually displays a value between -20 and +20 (this may actually change once it's out of its test phase but for now its -20 and +20).
Whenever someone rates you positive, his rating will add +1 to this number.
When someone rates you negative, his rating will add -1 to this number.

Let's call these "nudges" since it's not the same as a rating. These "nudges" expire over 30 days. But they don't expire at once, the expire gradually over these 30 days.

For example: you have a trending value of zero. You get a positive rating. Now your trending value is +1. A day later, your trending value is 0.97 (or 29/30) if nobody has rated you in the mean time. Another day later, your trending value is 0.93 (or 28/30). After 15 days, your trending value is 0.5. And at day 30, its zero again (as long as nobody else has rated you in those 30 days).

But let's say you receive a negative ratings after 15 days. Then your trending value will be 0.5 - 1 = -0.5.

What's the use of all this?

First of all, people can no longer hide behind their ratings bar. I've seen it happen too many times now: people with enough green in their bar- so that it's virtually impossible to get banned - behaving like total arseholes. With this new trending system, it doesn't matter how much green you have; receive a bunch of negatives in a short period of time and your trending indicator will drop like crazy. And you guessed it, if the trending indicator reaches it's minimum, an autoban will follow. So no more hiding behind your green bar.

Second, and I know you will love this: you can actually refresh your rating. So if you have already rated someone negative (or positive), just rate him negative (or positive) again. This will not impact his total ratings, but it will reset your "nudge" to it's max value of -1 (or +1).

And if you don't refresh your rating, your rating will eventually no longer count for this trending value. So the trending value will always be current.

Now I just need a good name for it. Karma, Trending, ... ?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2013 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post
Pretty cool idea. I like it!
mptighe

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 122
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2013 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheDirect Link to This Post
Nice, thanks Cliff. This will help for certain scenarios. Great idea.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2013 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
Pretty cool idea!

My only question is the +/- 20 range take up the full range of the current ratings box. In other words is 20 at the very edge of the box or is the trending triangle on a different scale?
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2013 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

Pretty cool idea!

My only question is the +/- 20 range take up the full range of the current ratings box. In other words is 20 at the very edge of the box or is the trending triangle on a different scale?

Min/max are always at the edges.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2013 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cliff Pennock:

Min/max are always at the edges.

Thanks!
skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2013 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post
I like Karma.

I used to belong to a now-defunct media site with a Karma system. Participating in discussion (outside the individual forum itself) earned you positive marks toward your individual rating. Breaking rules and starting channels that got tagged as being negative to community health pulled your ratings down - if you lost too many points, privileges were revoked. No bans except by moderator audit but you could get blacklisted from having full access to site features until you contributed to the community in a positive manner for a while. It acted kind of like a self-governing time out.

Nice work, Cliff.

[This message has been edited by skuzzbomer (edited 02-08-2013).]

Formula

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2013 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaDirect Link to This Post
It would be neat to be able to rate posts too, so if a post got x amount of negatives it would be hidden, and you would have to click to see it.

This is one of my favorite forums to visit. Thanks for sticking with it for 14 years!
nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2013 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Direct Link to This Post

First of all, people can no longer hide behind their ratings bar. I've seen it happen too many times now: people with enough green in their bar- so that it's virtually impossible to get banned - behaving like total arseholes. With this new trending system, it doesn't matter how much green you have; receive a bunch of negatives in a short period of time and your trending indicator will drop like crazy. And you guessed it, if the trending indicator reaches it's minimum, an autoban will follow. So no more hiding behind your green bar.

I love it! I can think of a certain special education and replica hating @$$hat thats closed to being karma trended off, woohoo
x-thumpr-x

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2013 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for x-thumpr-xSend a Private Message to x-thumpr-xDirect Link to This Post
Will this give everyone a rating bar now? In the past some members didn't have any kind of bar till you got a certain amount of ratings.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2013 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cliff Pennock: Now I just need a good name for it. Karma, Trending, ... ?

In good ole Americanese, we'd call such a thing a 'telltale'.
PFF
System Bot
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2013 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatDirect Link to This Post
The little triangle shaped thing that moves mysteriously to and fro on a Ouija board is called a planchette.

------------------

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2013 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nitroheadz28:

I love it! I can think of a certain special education and replica hating @$$hat thats closed to being karma trended off, woohoo

So this how this you guys are going exploit Cliff's new ratings system? I'm pretty certain that Cliff didn't create this system so you can use for your own person grudges. If that's the case then why bother haveing a green bar? However, at he the end of day you guys can do what ever you want for my life does not revolve around PFF.

------------------

"Friends don't let their friends drive stock."

skuzzbomer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2013 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

So this how this you guys are going exploit Cliff's new ratings system?

Exploit?

Sorry, those ratings were surely earned one way or another. Take the pissing match back to the kit thread or PM - you aren't helping anything by trying to act like a victim here.
IwannaIRM

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2013 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IwannaIRMSend a Private Message to IwannaIRMDirect Link to This Post
With no ratings bar in 12 years I guess I wont' worry about the trending triangle either.

I obviously don't contribute enough to this forum to make people like or hate me. Guess I'm just neutral....
VikingRedBaron

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2013 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VikingRedBaronSend a Private Message to VikingRedBaronDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IwannaIRM:

With no ratings bar in 12 years I guess I wont' worry about the trending triangle either.

I obviously don't contribute enough to this forum to make people like or hate me. Guess I'm just neutral....

I been here since 2009 and have no rating either.

I am OK with that, I like it here and don`t care if anyone likes or hates me, as long as they feed me
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2013 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
I am concerned that this "nudge" system does seem more open to be exploited. All it would take is 20 people, (or one person with 20 aliases) to initiate a barrage of negatives to autoban a person for any stupid reason. I supposed Cliff has thought of this and has safeguards in place. But I'm a little nervous this system could cause some questionable bans.

nitroheadz28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2013 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by skuzzbomer:

Exploit?

Sorry, those ratings were surely earned one way or another. Take the pissing match back to the kit thread or PM - you aren't helping anything by trying to act like a victim here.

Agreed, you have some balls trying to make me or others out to be the bad guys. You had a good 3 pages of nothing but trolling going on, trolls deserve to be banned.

I see I earned 3-4 negs for that last post, thanks!

Edit*

Originally posted by madcurl:

So this how this you guys are going exploit Cliff's new ratings system? I'm pretty certain that Cliff didn't create this system so you can use for your own person grudges. If that's the case then why bother haveing a green bar? However, at he the end of day you guys can do what ever you want for my life does not revolve around PFF.

You know what, I've seen you get into debates about the replica thing as well as other topics.. It never bothered me because they were debates albeit you being incessant to other members at times, this isn't anything personal. You simply went above and beyond to trash a thread and aggravate other members as much as you could. I could care less about you or your cars, I've never had a problem with you and I still don't. I just HATE trolls and thats what you have been acting like- you have been rated by over 15 people accordingly since that thread.

Apologies to Cliff for the subject being dragged into this thread.

[This message has been edited by nitroheadz28 (edited 02-08-2013).]

tbone42

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2013 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Direct Link to This Post
I love it, I am giving all sorts of kind folks positive nudges.. its fun!

I can't believe all the people I never gave a '+' to before! C'mon everyone, LOVE FEST!

I see I earned 3-4 negs for that last post, thanks!

I got your back Nitro, +.+

See? Even I got a backwards nudge for posting the above. Talk about sour grapes lol They don't neg me any more, just some dudes who already did not like me reinforcing that. No biggie! You would still really have to do some major trolling to move anyone's arrow all that far left. I think once the "newness" of this wears off, it won't even be something anyone notices all that much anymore.

[This message has been edited by tbone42 (edited 02-08-2013).]

Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2013 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

I am concerned that this "nudge" system does seem more open to be exploited. All it would take is 20 people, (or one person with 20 aliases) to initiate a barrage of negatives to autoban a person for any stupid reason. I supposed Cliff has thought of this and has safeguards in place. But I'm a little nervous this system could cause some questionable bans.

I'm curious about a couple of things also. If it's based on ratings you have received over the last thrity days, what happens if you have one specific member who flip flops on their rating of you? For example, I piss off member ABC today and he rates me a neg. In a day or 2 he realizes it was rash and flips me back to a pos. Do I still retain that neg rating in the trend, or does it get eliminated by member ABCs change of rating? Is there a consideration in trending for nuetral? In other words if siad member ABC has a grudge against me, could he simply rate me neg then nuetral then neg then nuetral then neg over and over again until my trend runs deep neg resulting in the ban? I would assume you took that into consideration and did something to eliminate such abuse, but if not maybe it's something to check into to make sure it can't happen?

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 02-08-2013).]

nitroheadz28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2013 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Direct Link to This Post
Thanks tbone! I can't believe I never rated you + before, spreading the love now +__+!
PFF
System Bot
TK

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2013 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post
It's like AI only different!
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2013 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post

...people with enough green in their bar- so that it's virtually impossible to get banned - behaving like total arseholes. With this new trending system, it doesn't matter how much green you have; receive a bunch of negatives in a short period of time and your trending indicator will drop like crazy. And you guessed it, if the trending indicator reaches it's minimum, an autoban will follow. So no more hiding behind your green bar.

mptighe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2013 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheDirect Link to This Post
LOL I've gained a couple of ratings in my total count too and my widget (what they call the triangle pieces in trivial pursuit) didn't move so I guess it proves I get a - every time I get a + and vice versa. It is fun to re-rate people and watch it move, but like others have said I'm a little concerned that it might be exploited, especially in O/T.

[This message has been edited by mptighe (edited 02-09-2013).]

NoMoreRicers

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2013 12:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NoMoreRicersSend a Private Message to NoMoreRicersDirect Link to This Post

Thanks tbone! I can't believe I never rated you + before, spreading the love now +__+!

Oh, you guys are so cute!

Just playing!
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post02-09-2013 02:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NoMoreRicers:

Oh, you guys are so cute!

..:

Doh! Canada Dry and Captain Morgans snorter!
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2013 03:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Khw:

I'm curious about a couple of things also. If it's based on ratings you have received over the last thrity days, what happens if you have one specific member who flip flops on their rating of you?

His nudge will change from +1 to -1, to +1, to -1, etc. They don't add up.
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2013 04:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockDirect Link to This Post

Cliff Pennock

11609 posts
Member since Jan 99

Originally posted by jscott1:

I am concerned that this "nudge" system does seem more open to be exploited.

Yes, that's true. It only takes 20 people (or whatever number I ultimately decide to set it to) to get someone banned. But since it takes 20 people on the same day (since only then will all 20 nudges be the full -1), it's also incredibly easy for me to spot abuse. And abuse of the ratings system is cause for an immediate and irrevocable ban.

I know what you're thinking. "Should I rally up 19 others to get this guy banned?" Well, to tell you the truth, I can't guarantee I will always spot abuse. But being as this is a very powerful new tool and it will eventually alert me of abuse, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

Fformula88

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2013 06:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fformula88Send a Private Message to Fformula88Direct Link to This Post
Interesting. So long as folks don't purposely "pile on" someone who starts trending negative.

RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2013 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCRDirect Link to This Post
Very interesting system, Cliff. Pretty slick actually.

As for the individual drawing so much attention, he has drawn a lot of negative attention for being a douche bag, but I hope the new system does not ban him outright.

I like the reduced accessability mentioned above for a good knuckle smacking and warning for what could happen.

Thank you for your continued support of our second home.

Bob
Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2013 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post

His nudge will change from +1 to -1, to +1, to -1, etc. They don't add up.

Thanks, that takes care of my worry Cliff . I was pretty sure you had already thought of that but just wanted to check.
PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2013 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Yes, that's true. It only takes 20 people (or whatever number I ultimately decide to set it to) to get someone banned. But since it takes 20 people on the same day (since only then will all 20 nudges be the full -1), it's also incredibly easy for me to spot abuse. And abuse of the ratings system is cause for an immediate and irrevocable ban.

My biggest concern is that this system will encourage people like Shaun Hammitt to have 20 aliases (if he doesn't already) and go after individual members that he doesn't like. If he has half as many fake PFF IDs as he does Youtube identities then he is already at a point where he can cause a lot of trouble.
jetman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 273
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2013 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanDirect Link to This Post
Wow, this is interesting, got this message after nudging several folk's into positive territory for their posts.

We're sorry, but you have used up all your ratings for today!

To prevent abuse of the rating-system, you can only rate others a maximum of 10 times per day. However, there's no limit for removing ratings (or "neutralizing" a rating).
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2013 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTDirect Link to This Post
Here is a more simple use for the triangle:

If you agree or disagree with a post, click one of the buttons and that moves the slider either direction. This way you don't have to be a jerk by replying with some smart assed comment in a thread and getting it thrown in the trash can. The toughest part is making your triangle follow threads that you have participated in. Keep in mind that all this feature would do is move the triangle...not rate someone. If I go into 1 thread, it may be in the green and if I go into another thread it could be in the red. It would require extensive programming by Cliff but it is just an idea.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 02-09-2013).]

mptighe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2013 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheDirect Link to This Post
Looks like this already caught up with madcurl in the lambo thread.
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2013 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post

Now I just need a good name for it.

Good work, Cliff, although I too am concerned about it being abused.

Concerning naming, how about "INT" for the trend pointer and "BLM" for the ratings bar? (Fiero joke)

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 02-09-2013).]

Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2013 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerDirect Link to This Post
Call it the Arrowhead and make it more Pontiac shaped.

Jonathan
Silentassassin185

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2013 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Silentassassin185Send a Private Message to Silentassassin185Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boostdreamer:

Call it the Arrowhead and make it more Pontiac shaped.

Jonathan

I second this idea.
nitroheadz28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2013 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Direct Link to This Post
How about instead of being banned, the member goes on probation? I'd imagine it would give Cliff more to babysit, but its just a suggestion.
skuzzbomer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2013 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post

How about instead of being banned, the member goes on probation? I'd imagine it would give Cliff more to babysit, but its just a suggestion.

That's kind of where I was going with my first post in this thread. Sort of a "time out for misbehaving" but it would likely need an oversight or fallback of some sort.

I mean, everyone has a bad day (or few weeks in some cases) and it would be a good way to put minor stuff in perspective if a user got, say, a week of vacation for a first offense, and maybe double that for a second round offense. Obviously, if someone does it more than that, I would say a bit of research is necessary as to why they started the neg train in the first place but that'll be a bridge crossed as it comes.

However, it's all up to the man in charge, since this is definitely his house and we are only guests for as long as he feels is warranted. Were it to come up, he has ultimate authority as to who he feels is worth keeping around - and I would say Cliff is amazingly patient with this bunch. I can't say I would be the same were I in his shoes but I don't want to have that kind of authority anyway. Maybe Cliff sees it the same way and that's why he's so Zen about things most of the time; that's for him to say, though.

Anyways, good point to bring up.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock