TDI in a Fiero #2 by Burning Oil
Started on: 11-20-2012 10:46 PM
Replies: 10
Last post by: Burning Oil on 11-24-2012 08:28 AM
Burning Oil

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2012 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Burning OilClick Here to visit Burning Oil's HomePageSend a Private Message to Burning OilDirect Link to This Post
Been planing this swap for over a year. Once I had the parts/donors I thought Google it maybe someone has done it allready. Sure enough its being documented in another thread here.
I started On the swap a few months ago then pulled my back real good and did not feel like I could work on it without straining again.
Well Im back on it again, I'll try to post the progress as I go.
How do you post pictures here? Im spoiled on other web forums that host the photos. Looks like you have to go to an off site host to post them here?

Anyway I pulled the running stock engine/auto trans and sold it to a member here.
Then pulled the TDI, 5 speed trans, ECM, wire harness.....ect I have the whole 2002 golf donor to pull parts from.
Today I tried to mock up the drivetrain on the Fiero cradle, but it is very difficult to figure out the exact placement as it will hit the strut towers if its not perfect. So I have another complete Fiero space frame that is just a bare shell. Im going to put the cradle in it and see if the TDI will drop in from the top and start the fitting process from there.
Thats it for now.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Burning Oil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2012 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Burning OilClick Here to visit Burning Oil's HomePageSend a Private Message to Burning OilDirect Link to This Post
Anyone know if there is a "how to post pictures thread" here or can guide me.

EDIT: just found a posting that shows how. I'll give it a try. Thanks.

Well edit again: Virus protection will not let me load the PIP.
Is it OK to just link this build to another web site where I have the build also? Saves me alot of work too!

------------------
1987 Fiero GT.
2002 Golf TDI.

[This message has been edited by Burning Oil (edited 11-22-2012).]

FFIEROFRED

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2012 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FFIEROFREDSend a Private Message to FFIEROFREDDirect Link to This Post
To help with the fitting of my drive line I cut the engine compartment off a junk fiero. than i cut than in 1/2 so I had a right and left side. I could lift that to place it on the cradle to see how it fit.
mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2012 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroDirect Link to This Post
Another option, besides PIP, is to host your pics at http://www.myfiero.com then cut & paste to your thread.
Burning Oil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2012 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Burning OilClick Here to visit Burning Oil's HomePageSend a Private Message to Burning OilDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FFIEROFRED:

To help with the fitting of my drive line I cut the engine compartment off a junk fiero. than i cut than in 1/2 so I had a right and left side. I could lift that to place it on the cradle to see how it fit.

Very good idea, Im basicaly going to try that, but can't cut it in half because its a future project and the whole frame has been powdercoated.
I'll be using a complete bare frame.
Burning Oil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2012 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Burning OilClick Here to visit Burning Oil's HomePageSend a Private Message to Burning OilDirect Link to This Post

Burning Oil

39 posts
Member since Jun 2012

Originally posted by mrfiero:

Another option, besides PIP, is to host your pics at http://www.myfiero.com then cut & paste to your thread.

I'll look at that now, thanks.

Burning Oil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2012 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Burning OilClick Here to visit Burning Oil's HomePageSend a Private Message to Burning OilDirect Link to This Post

Burning Oil

39 posts
Member since Jun 2012
This is a test.

EDIT: Ok looks like the picture worked. This is of the TDI over the Fiero cradle. Just getting a rough idea at this point of fittment. It will be very difficult to determine exactly where to place it, so as mentioned above I'll use a space frame to do the mock up on.

Thanks for the help posting pics

[This message has been edited by Burning Oil (edited 11-22-2012).]

Burning Oil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2012 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Burning OilClick Here to visit Burning Oil's HomePageSend a Private Message to Burning OilDirect Link to This Post

Burning Oil

39 posts
Member since Jun 2012
Since the Fiero does not have power steering I eleminated the pump as running it dry is not good, it looks like it depends on P/S fluid for its lube.

I bought this shorter belt that allowed removal of the pump. It might clear up space in the engine compartment too.
Burning Oil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2012 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Burning OilClick Here to visit Burning Oil's HomePageSend a Private Message to Burning OilDirect Link to This Post

Burning Oil

39 posts
Member since Jun 2012
Here is the frame I'll use for the mock up.

Pic of wrecked Golf and Fiero the TDI will go into.
ccfiero350

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2012 02:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ccfiero350Send a Private Message to ccfiero350Direct Link to This Post
What year is the TDI?

------------------
yellow 88 GT, not stock
white 88 notchie, 4 banger

Burning Oil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2012 08:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Burning OilClick Here to visit Burning Oil's HomePageSend a Private Message to Burning OilDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ccfiero350:

What year is the TDI?

Its an 02

------------------
1987 Fiero GT.
2002 Golf TDI.

PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page