87 Aero SE's? by Dburger
Started on: 11-07-2012 09:22 PM
Replies: 15
Last post by: htexans1 on 11-10-2012 09:42 PM
Dburger

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-07-2012 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DburgerSend a Private Message to DburgerDirect Link to This Post
[url=]http://ocala.craigslist.org/cto/3379915590.html[/url]

Is this legit? They really offered 87 Aero Dukes?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2012 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroDirect Link to This Post
Yes. The '87 SE 4-cyl is a fairly uncommon (I hate the word "rare") Fiero. Only 1201 were built.

Technically speaking, the 4-cyl. was the standard engine with the V-6 as optional.....most people opted for the V-6, so 4-banger aero SE's are unusual.

[This message has been edited by mrfiero (edited 11-07-2012).]

Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2012 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakDirect Link to This Post
Yes, it is a legitimate vehicle. In fact - in a strange tid-bit of information - this was the last model Fiero to be offered with the "ribbed" belt line. The other two models offered for 1987 - the fastback GT and the base coupe - used the rounded belt line. No vehicle in 1988 would use ribbed belt line, making this model the last of the ribbed belt line Fieros. The other major difference is the lower rockers and ground effects are painted black OEM, not the silver like the other aero bodied cars like the fastback GTs and '84 Indy.

The 87 SE with the duke was at it's purest form the same mechanically and visually (in terms of body) as an 1984 Indy Fiero, with the new updated throttle body injection and air intake setup, and 'faux' dual exhaust like the '84 Indy had. For 1985, you could not get a four cylinder with the aero body as only the 1985 GT had an aero body option stock. Starting in 1986 and ending in 1987, you could get the aero bodied SE trim Fiero with either the four cylinder or six cylinder. Four cylinder cars were hardly ordered however since the six cylinder was a more popular option, hence the four cylinder's low numbers.

Now if you want to talk "rare", as in what may be a seriously VERY rare Fiero, that would be an original 1987 SE, four cylinder, with all the originally aero body intact with black ground effects and rockers, painted factory '87 blue. If my guest-imations are fairly accurate, you're looking at a car that maybe had around a dozen or so built TOTAL. I know I have seen one here on the forum, and if someone has or can find one, it would be a very difficult car to find another of. Considering how few factory blue '87 Fieros there are and the incredibly low production numbers of four cylinder '87 SE aero cars, I would think my guest-imation is pretty close. You're more likely to see a Fiero Zimmerman Quicksilver in person (which I have) than see such an optioned cars as above.

[This message has been edited by Fiero84Freak (edited 11-07-2012).]

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2012 02:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
My Fiero is an '87 SE. It was built with the Duke and automatic transmission. But I fixed that.
KissMySSFiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2012 04:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroDirect Link to This Post
that's not a legit 87 SE.

It doesn't have the ground Fx.
the SE's would have the GT style seats with the strip across the middle.
did the 4cyl SE's have the rally gauge package and backlit gauges?

[This message has been edited by KissMySSFiero (edited 11-08-2012).]

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2012 08:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
Agreed, the vehicle in the ad is not correct... something is wrong. The side fx are for a coupe and it looks like the interior is not correct. Someone swapped the front and rear fascias I am guessing.

Anyone have a VIN?
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2012 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KissMySSFiero:
did the 4cyl SE's have the rally gauge package and backlit gauges?

I'm not sure about the backlighting, but 4 cylinder SEs did not have the gauges on the center stack.
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2012 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakDirect Link to This Post
If someone gets the VIN, the keys will be the fifth and eighth digits. Fifth should be "F" and eighth should be "R"

I didn't see the interior pics originally. Probably should have paid more attention.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2012 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

4 cylinder SEs did not have the gauges on the center stack.

No 4 cylinder did, did they?

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 11-08-2012).]

Formula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2012 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero84Freak:

Yes, it is a legitimate vehicle. In fact - in a strange tid-bit of information - this was the last model Fiero to be offered with the "ribbed" belt line. The other two models offered for 1987 - the fastback GT and the base coupe - used the rounded belt line. No vehicle in 1988 would use ribbed belt line, making this model the last of the ribbed belt line Fieros. The other major difference is the lower rockers and ground effects are painted black OEM, not the silver like the other aero bodied cars like the fastback GTs and '84 Indy.

The 87 SE with the duke was at it's purest form the same mechanically and visually (in terms of body) as an 1984 Indy Fiero, with the new updated throttle body injection and air intake setup, and 'faux' dual exhaust like the '84 Indy had. For 1985, you could not get a four cylinder with the aero body as only the 1985 GT had an aero body option stock. Starting in 1986 and ending in 1987, you could get the aero bodied SE trim Fiero with either the four cylinder or six cylinder. Four cylinder cars were hardly ordered however since the six cylinder was a more popular option, hence the four cylinder's low numbers.

Now if you want to talk "rare", as in what may be a seriously VERY rare Fiero, that would be an original 1987 SE, four cylinder, with all the originally aero body intact with black ground effects and rockers, painted factory '87 blue. If my guest-imations are fairly accurate, you're looking at a car that maybe had around a dozen or so built TOTAL. I know I have seen one here on the forum, and if someone has or can find one, it would be a very difficult car to find another of. Considering how few factory blue '87 Fieros there are and the incredibly low production numbers of four cylinder '87 SE aero cars, I would think my guest-imation is pretty close. You're more likely to see a Fiero Zimmerman Quicksilver in person (which I have) than see such an optioned cars as above.

I actually saw a blue aero notchback (with black ground effects) on the way to work this morning with a luggage rack (first time i saw it). It looked all original. I wonder if it was a 4 banger...

[This message has been edited by Formula (edited 11-08-2012).]

Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2012 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KissMySSFiero: did the 4cyl SE's have the rally gauge package and backlit gauges?

Mine didn't. But the electrical plugs for the rally gauges, power windows & locks, etc were lurking behind the dash and console.

edit to add: You all are right, though. The car in the ad appears to be a hodge-podge of two different body styles. It has the SE sail panels and dual-outlet exhaust, as well as the aero fasciae. But it has the coupe rockers, door skins, fenders, and quarterpanels. If you wanted to finish the SE treatment, you could swap the rocker panels and drill some holes for the ground effects.

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 11-08-2012).]

PFF
System Bot
Dburger

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-08-2012 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DburgerSend a Private Message to DburgerDirect Link to This Post
The only thing I was skeptical about is that it doesn't say "Fiero" on the decklid. Sorry, I don't have a VIN.
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2012 12:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
It does say the car has a new paint job. That would explain why the 'Fiero' lettering and pinstripes are missing.

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 11-09-2012).]

fierolover87

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2012 02:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierolover87Send a Private Message to fierolover87Direct Link to This Post
I saw an '87 SE in this configuration with what I assumed to be a 4 cyl. It was the same Medium Red Metallic as my '87 SE 6 cyl. I looked through the windows and saw the same dash configuration (4cyl gauges and no aux gauges).
batousai666

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2012 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Direct Link to This Post
Bummer........
http://ocala.craigslist.org/cto/3379915590.html

i got a 1987 SE V6 converted into a Mera.....one of very few.
thankfully they only converted the V6's into Mera's
htexans1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 118
Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2012 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for htexans1Send a Private Message to htexans1Direct Link to This Post
I had a silver 1987 "Aero SE" it had the darker aero panels, notchie and Silver paint. and the "Duke" with a 5 speed.

It didnt have the center pod gauges (no 4 cyl came with em) but it did have a spoiler, PW, PL and a sunroof. The sail panels did say "SE" on them.

it had the "GT" seats with the strip on em, and as far as I know the seats were never changed.

As for the 'duke, it was pulled, a Northstar V8 sits there today.

I think it was one of 7 fieros with SE, sunroof, spoiler,Aero package and duke. not rare by any means, but uncommon.

[This message has been edited by htexans1 (edited 11-10-2012).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock