Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Need help, Anyone installed FOYracing 3800 mounts?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Need help, Anyone installed FOYracing 3800 mounts? by Ponti88GT
Started on: 10-06-2012 05:23 PM
Replies: 21
Last post by: Ponti88GT on 10-15-2012 08:00 PM
Ponti88GT

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2012 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ponti88GTSend a Private Message to Ponti88GTDirect Link to This Post
I am stuck right now with installing the motor and trans into my 88 gt subframe. I just wish there was more detailed photos for install because this is my first motor swap and build and I am paranoid as hell that I will do some little mistake. I have the 3800 series III and trans but lining up centered and level is killing me! any help is greatly appreciated cause it is bugging me to be this close to getting the frame and motor together....
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2012 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
If the mounts were made correctly the engine should line up perfectly and sit level. The mounts and brackets should only bolt on one way so I do not understand the question.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2012 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracDirect Link to This Post
Didn't FOY provide instructions? Did you get the right mounts for your trans?
Ponti88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2012 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ponti88GTSend a Private Message to Ponti88GTDirect Link to This Post
when I am trying to install the first mount the way it is told in the directions, which are limited, but no the holes are not perfect and lined up and some hole drilling is required. I am trying to make sure that it is lined up straight and at the right height and level. and what I was trying to get out of this post is to see if anyone else had used the FOYracing mounts and what they found when installing them. I am visual, would like to see more pictures or know measurements for install.
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2012 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Ponti88GT:

when I am trying to install the first mount the way it is told in the directions, which are limited, but no the holes are not perfect and lined up and some hole drilling is required. I am trying to make sure that it is lined up straight and at the right height and level. and what I was trying to get out of this post is to see if anyone else had used the FOYracing mounts and what they found when installing them. I am visual, would like to see more pictures or know measurements for install.

We are visual too. Post up some pics. You may have SII mounts. Also, if they are NOT CNC machined holes they are subject to human error.
Ponti88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2012 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ponti88GTSend a Private Message to Ponti88GTDirect Link to This Post
yeah, but the pictures were very limited, like three pics with not much narrative. they actually just sent me some more pics, which are helping, but like i stated, with this being my first attempt at a project like this it is just me being too precise and thinking that a little mistake is going to mess this whole project up. i just wanted to hopefully have anyone on here that has installed the mounts on their own and not having someone else or FOYracing install them tell me what they found out.
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2012 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracDirect Link to This Post
sorry, I have Fiero addiction mounts but I have a FOY low mount alt.
Ponti88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2012 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ponti88GTSend a Private Message to Ponti88GTDirect Link to This Post
and i for sure will grab some pics here in a minute.....
IanT720

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2012 01:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Direct Link to This Post
It's weird that you have to adjust height, I'm using fiero x mounts. Just strap a broom stick on a valve cover and eye ball it.
Ponti88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2012 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ponti88GTSend a Private Message to Ponti88GTDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the replies, not too many people I guess have installed the FOYracing mounts themselves other than having the shop doing the whole build. I gathered my thoughts and figured out that I am just going to have to measure a bunch and formulate center points and level the thing and just start mounting the engine where it works. I am figuring that it wont be perfect, but just needs to function correctly with the CV axles etc. After work I will post some pics and see if I am on track.
cam-a-lot

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2012 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotDirect Link to This Post
Have you called FOY? Have they given you support and advice on how to install? I would think they would be the most logical place to ask for help

PFF
System Bot
Dementia

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2012 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DementiaSend a Private Message to DementiaDirect Link to This Post
To get the most help here you should post pics of your build and most can walk u right through it. I've used a number of mounts by forum makers and most trouble with those you have to redrilll the front engine mount on the cradle. There probably isn't much adjustment up and down but side to side and front to back should be doable. Sorry I haven't worked with anything from FOY.
BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2012 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Ponti88GT:

Thanks for the replies, not too many people I guess have installed the FOYracing mounts themselves other than having the shop doing the whole build. I gathered my thoughts and figured out that I am just going to have to measure a bunch and formulate center points and level the thing and just start mounting the engine where it works. I am figuring that it wont be perfect, but just needs to function correctly with the CV axles etc. After work I will post some pics and see if I am on track.

Just do it.. DO IT!!
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2012 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaDirect Link to This Post
just put a SIII on my 88 GT cradle. I used WCF mounts and it went together in less than two hours. I did have to elongate the motor mount holes to line up, but thats because I wanted the motor/trans to move a little to the pass side.

Rob
Ponti88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2012 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ponti88GTSend a Private Message to Ponti88GTDirect Link to This Post
wow, those look great! and that is the same motor and transmission that I am using!

I am running into a problem with the old transmission support brackets that attached to the old aluminum oil pan. they seem to be in the way and I cannot get a good fit.
There is a total of four mounts, two motor and two transmission. One in front and rear for both.

with it in place with the front transmission mount in place and lining up the right way it does not line up correctly with the rear transmission mounts

rear transmission mount

front transmission mount being too far off the subframe

I am not sure what to try next to get these to work, but I am trying to measure everything out and get it to work correctly.

rear motor mount picture

SOOOO close, but so far!

The other thing that is not working right with the mounts is the rear motor mount, it is supposed to be mounted into place and it seems to be too low with the way the other mounts are not lining up level. I dunno? i am just trying to get this done and start test fitting, any help is appreciated.
Any other pictures that you might need to get a better help let me know.
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2012 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaDirect Link to This Post
PM Sent.

Can you pass a few more pics (different angles) of your exhast setup. I'd like to see how close the system is to the motor trans, and how it dumps.

Rob
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2012 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by qwikgta:

I used WCF mounts and it went together in less than two hours. I did have to elongate the motor mount holes to line up, but thats because I wanted the motor/trans to move a little to the pass side.

Rob

I may be spoiled but when I buy parts from vendors that is how I expect then to look and fit. WCF mounts are Top notch.

Are you using a Fiero drivers Auto and Manual axle on a NON HD transmission? Are you going to turbo it at a later date....LOL
BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2012 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsDirect Link to This Post
I agree... those mounts look great (WCF). Also, whats up with that exhaust? Looks fantastic.
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2012 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
I used WCF mounts and have also worked w purplereign mounts and both fit well.
This picture below is exactly not the way to do it. Holding a trans mount to the trans case with only one bolt on the rear is a sure path to failure. Notice that the WCF trans mount picks up the open hole in the trans case with a pin on the bracket that gives it additional support.
[IMG] http://i1241.photobucket.co...1248_zps5fe6a1e4.jpg [/IMG]

BTW, are you sure that you have mounts for a series III setup

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 10-15-2012).]

FIEROFLYER

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2012 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYERDirect Link to This Post
I would have to agree with the one bolt mounting not being enough those mounts do not look strong enough to hold a stock 4 cylinder let alone a 3800 engine in place under load. Go with the WCF or Purple mounts to save your self a lot of headaches or just make your own and use stock Fiero rubber mounts or Rodney's poly mounts for added strength. Dan
FriendOfYours

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post10-15-2012 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendOfYoursSend a Private Message to FriendOfYoursDirect Link to This Post

The angle keeps you from seeing the bolt underneath

We haven't had any issues with numerous daily driven 3800s with our kit. A few above 400hp that have seen the track every weekend. The issue he is having is from the wrong transmission mount in the front

If you look at the 4 mounts, one is offset and is used for the front transmission bracket.

[This message has been edited by FriendOfYours (edited 10-15-2012).]

PFF
System Bot
Ponti88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2012 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ponti88GTSend a Private Message to Ponti88GTDirect Link to This Post
Yeah there is more than one whole on the back transmission mount. I was going to correct that, but here is the pic of that mount.

other view

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock