Started on: 08-07-2012 12:35 PM
Replies: 23
Last post by: jaskispyder on 08-24-2012 08:54 AM
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2012 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerDirect Link to This Post
Trying to sell/swap these in the Mall. Would be nice if I could get them cleaner. How would you go about it? All I've tried so far is soap and water.

------------------
Jonathan
23K mile '85 notchie w/ 88 cradle, '87 2.8/Getrag, Air, PW, PDL, PM - Still under construction
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/121056.html
I'm not a mechanic but I play one in my garage - me
Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely - Lord Acton
Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not - Thomas Jefferson
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants - Thomas Jefferson

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Mugwort

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2012 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MugwortSend a Private Message to MugwortDirect Link to This Post
What kind of soap did u use? I've always used about 2a table spoons of dawn dish soap in a glass of water and a tooth brush. Gets out most anything. If that fails u can go to a carpet store and see if they carry a cleaner called Capture. Is a semi-moist powder that u pretty much just rub in really well, let it sit, then vacuum out. If that fails too u may be sol. (Have only seen capture fail once. Would even get my blood out of carpet back when i was a flooring installer) best of luck to you.
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2012 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerDirect Link to This Post
I had these seats out when I was taking the car apart. I just used my car wash soap and a big brush. I have some carpet solution. Hadn't thought of that.

Jonathan
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2012 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerDirect Link to This Post

Boostdreamer

7175 posts
Member since Jun 2007
I just looked up Capture. It is available locally at Lowe's and Home Depot. Their dealer locator shows it's still available at a store that was torn down about 10 years ago! LOL! I also checked Amazon.com for it and to see if it had been reviewed. It got really good reviews. Several people said they got red wine stains out of carpet! That's a pretty tough test. Most raved about it but a few had no luck. I'll try it if these covers don't sell right away.

Jonathan
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2012 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post
I use Dawn and a soft bristle bursh and it gets out most things. I then clean with resolve and be very gentle on both. If there is any rust stains I cleaan with CLR. Between those combos I have gotten out almost everything that has ever gotten on my seats.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2012 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
Use Simple green and water. Spray water on the seats, then spray simplegreen and water. Then scrub with a brush. Then "dab" out the stains, plan to use a few cotton towels. Then spray with water again and dab that out. Possibly repeat. It worked well for me once.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 08-07-2012).]

lukemo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2012 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lukemoSend a Private Message to lukemoDirect Link to This Post
Try Tuff Stuff Fabric and Upholstery cleaner. I works pretty well. Spray on and let it soak in for 30 sec. Gently scrub with a damp terry.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2012 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
I bought a set of Saddle Tan Fiero covers at pullapart that were in solid condition but were horribly filthy, especially the head rest that was almost black with what I believed to be hair and dirt and oil from the PO's head. I put each section in a zippered pillow case and washed them on the warm cycle in the washing machine. They came out looking like they'd just come off the dealer's shelf. We have one of the machines that doesn't have an agitator so I don't know what would happen if you had one of the older styles. A front loading washer might also work.
BuddhaCardovo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2012 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BuddhaCardovoSend a Private Message to BuddhaCardovoDirect Link to This Post
in the auto section of walmart there is a carpet cleaner in a chrome can. BEST STUFF i have every used. Im sorry i dont have the name or pics.
its about 3-5 bucks a can and made my crown victoria seats BEAUTIFUL

------------------
1987 GT fastback (Halfarrari)

rpro

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2012 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rproSend a Private Message to rproDirect Link to This Post
You would get better results if you had the covers off the seats. As it is, any solution you apply to them is drawing dirt and stains up from the foam. If you don't want to remove them, use almost any of the above products with a soft brush and lot's of towels to blot them dry. Laundry spot remover like "Shout" work pretty good too.
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2012 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
I believe that the cleaner that should be used should fit the type of stain. For instance coffee and coke stains can be removed with Fantasic, blood is harder but if you try to remove semen stains, then the seat covers need to be removed and power washed.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

PFF
System Bot
PURPLE REIGN

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 303
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2012 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PURPLE REIGNSend a Private Message to PURPLE REIGNDirect Link to This Post
I'll throw my $.02 in....... the absolute best results i've seen for a cleaner on fabric without harm, is "Oil Eater" mixed at a 50/50 ratio. Can be found at either Costco, or some parts stores.
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2012 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

I believe that the cleaner that should be used should fit the type of stain. For instance coffee and coke stains can be removed with Fantasic, blood is harder but if you try to remove semen stains, then the seat covers need to be removed and power washed.

The stains were there when I got the car. I really don't want to think about what caused them. I'm going to go poke out my mind's eye now.

Jonathan

JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2012 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by johnyrottin:

I use Dawn and a soft bristle bursh and it gets out most things. I then clean with resolve and be very gentle on both. If there is any rust stains I cleaan with CLR. Between those combos I have gotten out almost everything that has ever gotten on my seats.

Absolutely! Resolve carpet cleaner will get out just about anything! I have been using it on carpets and upholstery for years.

HERE IS A TUTORIAL I did a couple years ago on how to clean the trunk carpet. The same holds true for the seats, just use a softer brush.

IIKool

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2012 07:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IIKoolSend a Private Message to IIKoolDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

[/QUOT E]

Dennis, What in the blue blazes are you doing in your car Dennis
Dogcreek

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2012 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DogcreekSend a Private Message to DogcreekDirect Link to This Post
Formula 409, spray it on until soaked and brush it good.... use a small steam cleaner, can be rented, then use vac... a good strong wet/dry vac. You will be amazed!

Jeff

------------------

Mine = 1986/2007 LS4 Fiero GXP
Brides= All stock 1988 Formula

[This message has been edited by Dogcreek (edited 08-08-2012).]

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2012 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by IIKool:

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

[/QUOT E]

Dennis, What in the blue blazes are you doing in your car Dennis

when I was a young guy my girlfriends and I didn't have many places to go to get it on. My first few cars did in fact have love juice in the interior and I was constantly cleaning it up. I guess that it would be hard to have sex in a Fiero but years back we took a poll and Fiero owners were mixing it up. You'd be surprised how much semen you'll find in a used Fiero,

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Dinger

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2012 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DingerSend a Private Message to DingerDirect Link to This Post
I've had good luck with TSP (white powder available at any good hardware store near the paint) for a lot of stains. Aerosol brake cleaner is great for oil/grease type spots too. With either, test a hidden spot first. Glove up for TSP, it's rough on skin. Good luck!
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2012 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Direct Link to This Post
Totally Awesome (in the orange squirt bottle) from the Dollar Tree. It's the best $1.00 I've spent in a long time. It also works great as an engine cleaner/degreaser (about $.10 verses $3.00). I was truly amazed.
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2012 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerDirect Link to This Post
I worked on one seat today. I went ahead and started with what I found here at home. I started with Woolite upholstery cleaner. That did a decent job on the non-stained parts. Then I used Woolite High Traffic carpet cleaner. It helped a little. Then I started using CLR. It did the most, the easiest. The biggest stains have faded a lot. I think I'll work on them some more tomorrow and see how they do. I may end up keeping these!

Jonathan
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2012 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerDirect Link to This Post
Thought I'd show a pic of my progress. All the stains in the front are gone and there are only three faded stain areas left at the back of the seat.

Here is a list of the things I've used:

car wash soap and water
steam
CLR
Woolite upholstry cleaner
Woolite high traffic carpet cleaner
Spray n Wash with Resolve
Shout gel
Walmart carpet machine solution

It looks like I'm going to have to break down and go buy some Capture. Dang it! I was just at Home Depot today and didn't even think about it!

Even so, I'm happy that these seats are much better than they were and much better than I thought they could ever be again. Thanks to everyone for all the tips! Pluses for each of you if I've not done it already!

Jonathan

[This message has been edited by Boostdreamer (edited 08-23-2012).]

PFF
System Bot
88FieroGT TTops

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2012 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88FieroGT TTopsSend a Private Message to 88FieroGT TTopsDirect Link to This Post
what about oxyclean?

------------------
Pat Jones

YellowArtero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2012 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for YellowArteroSend a Private Message to YellowArteroDirect Link to This Post
Try a product called DD7 Stain Remover. Best product I have ever used.

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2012 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
Straight Resolve carpet cleaner (for spot stains)

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock