Reddest Red? by Rick 88
Started on: 08-02-2012 07:06 PM
Replies: 49
Last post by: Frizlefrak on 08-15-2012 10:30 PM
Rick 88

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2012 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post
Here is a question for all you paint experts? What is the brightest red out there. I am talking about retina searing, spontaneous combustion, RED.

Is there such a thing a base red? Is that the brightest? From 73-75 Pontiac offered Bucaneer Red on Trans Am's. That was pretty bright, but I am sure there is an even brighter red. Rosso Red, Viper Red, Nuclear Red???? Pics, opinions, favorites all welcome.

[This message has been edited by Rick 88 (edited 08-02-2012).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2012 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post
PPG 75250 Rosso Corsa
PPG 905389 Rosso Scuderia

Rosso Scuderia applied over a PINK primer coat should give you the "eye searing" RED you're looking for.

NEITHER color should be applied over a gray primer, (only white or pink tinted)

------------------

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2012 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
I like Porsche Guards Red over a white primer.
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post08-02-2012 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalDirect Link to This Post
but how long before they turn to tomato soup red.. like so many reds
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-02-2012 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalDirect Link to This Post

E.Furgal

11708 posts
Member since Mar 2012
at the price of gold.. red would not be my choice..
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2012 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTDirect Link to This Post
As mentioned above, Porsche Guards Red.

The new Mazda Volcanic Red is pretty close to the Guards Red. In person, this color is amazing. It is almost blinding in the sun.
Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2012 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by E.Furgal:

but how long before they turn to tomato soup red.. like so many reds

Good question. Are there any UV inhibitiors available to inhibit color fade over time? The car is red and I don't want to do a complete color change.

[This message has been edited by Rick 88 (edited 08-02-2012).]

crashyoung

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2012 01:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crashyoungSend a Private Message to crashyoungDirect Link to This Post
Red is one of the worse colors for fade.
I mentioned doing a red/gold combo, but I was shown what happens to red after a few years of UV exposure.
Even some other paints fade quite rapidly with UV, so the better brands are recommended.
Storing your car in a garage is fine, but if you drive yours like I drive mine, it would be out during the day.
UCFieroCharger

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2012 05:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for UCFieroChargerSend a Private Message to UCFieroChargerDirect Link to This Post
I have been bouncing back and forth on reds for the last couple years for my charger. The mazda volcanic red is an awesome color, a guy that lives in my building has a speed3 in this color and I think it is what I'm going to go with. BASF straight red is a wonderful color too, D&D Classic (where I worked off and on for the past 4 years) has painted about a half dozen cars in this straight red and it is a beautiful solid red. As for "eye searing" I've seen brandywine on top of liquid gold on top of a metalic pink base and that is pretty intense!

I decided on the volcanic red about a year ago. I still haven't gotten the car painted yet, but that is for sure the color I will do when the time comes.

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

As mentioned above, Porsche Guards Red.

The new Mazda Volcanic Red is pretty close to the Guards Red. In person, this color is amazing. It is almost blinding in the sun.

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2012 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTDirect Link to This Post
Lildevil on here has a very nice red on his car:

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 08-03-2012).]

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2012 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Honestly one of the best reds I've seen on a Fiero is the factory 88 Bright Red.
You so rarely see one in "as new" condition you don't realize just how brilliant of a red it is. I'd want to compare it side by side with any other colors before making a decision. It would have to be in person. Photographs can't really capture the color, at least not reliably to make a true comparison.

Paint Code 81
GM Code WA8774
Ditzler PPG 3794

Rick;
What do you mean by "bright" red? A pure red with no hint of orange in it? A red with some orange mixed in, like Carousel Red, could be considered brighter but IMO it's not as "red."

[This message has been edited by Formula88 (edited 08-03-2012).]

PFF
System Bot
Ayrow

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2012 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AyrowClick Here to visit Ayrow's HomePageSend a Private Message to AyrowDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

Honestly one of the best reds I've seen on a Fiero is the factory 88 Bright Red.
You so rarely see one in "as new" condition you don't realize just how brilliant of a red it is. I'd want to compare it side by side with any other colors before making a decision. It would have to be in person. Photographs can't really capture the color, at least not reliably to make a true comparison.

Paint Code 81
GM Code WA8774
Ditzler PPG 3794

I would agree.
My 88 Formula had a factory red on it that was so intense that people would frequently come up and comment on the color.
I've had several red cars, but nothing like that. It is something I will never forget.

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2012 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Ive found the 8774 GM red is very transparent and takes extra coats to cover. All automotive paints now have UV prohibitors. Reds dont go bad like they used to. The bad colors now for fading are silvers and golds. You can get clear coat delamination though if you dont apply it right...but that will take a number of years. My personal choices for bright reds are Ferrari RossaCorsa like mentioned, and Mercedes & Porsche Signal red (Benz code 548). I painted my 450SL that color and it screams at you. A lot of reds to me are just too orangey.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 08-03-2012).]

skitime

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 332
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2012 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post

Paint Code 81
GM Code WA8774
Ditzler PPG 3794

I agree. When I had my GT even Fiero people would aways come up an ask me what color I painted it. I would telll them the original Bright Red and they would not believe me. It is a very bright red. I had 3 coats of clear on it but that was only thing different from the original GM color. With the Fiero people that would argue with me, I would walk over to a darker original red Fiero and lift the hood to show them the color at the top of the fenders under the hood without color fad. They would be amazed.

------------------

Red 88 GT T-Top 3800 INTERCOOLED SUPERCHARGED

Click here to read the History of Skitimes Car

E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-03-2012 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalDirect Link to This Post
I want to find a nice color to go with my 77 corvette yellow c-10.. if I keep it that colour when I respray..
I hav a weakness to med metalic blues...
the problem I'm seeing is some clears are so glossy they look like crap... looks like someone armoralled the whole car..
not so bad on vehicles with chrome bumpers/etc .but on monochrome cars it looks like garbage
I saw a new camaro.. not sure if it was a 2010/11/12 bu it was a marroon metalic that popped, but wasn't so in your face..
good luck,, I'm not a fan or retna red.. I.E. ticket magnet
Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2012 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post

Paint Code 81
GM Code WA8774
Ditzler PPG 3794

Rick;
What do you mean by "bright" red? A pure red with no hint of orange in it? A red with some orange mixed in, like Carousel Red, could be considered brighter but IMO it's not as "red."

I am after a true red. the Carousel Red on the 69 Judge was also used on the 76 Trans Am. It's a great color, but not what I want for my car. The current Corvette "Torch Red" is pretty bright too. The original Fiero red is a nice color too, but tended to fade quickly and suffer from clear coat failure. I wonder if a single stage red would be a better choice here in the sunny southwest? Do some paints have better UV inhibitors than others?

Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2012 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post

Rick 88

3914 posts
Member since Aug 2001

Originally posted by UCFieroCharger:

I have been bouncing back and forth on reds for the last couple years for my charger. The mazda volcanic red is an awesome color, a guy that lives in my building has a speed3 in this color and I think it is what I'm going to go with. BASF straight red is a wonderful color too, D&D Classic (where I worked off and on for the past 4 years) has painted about a half dozen cars in this straight red and it is a beautiful solid red. As for "eye searing" I've seen brandywine on top of liquid gold on top of a metalic pink base and that is pretty intense!

I decided on the volcanic red about a year ago. I still haven't gotten the car painted yet, but that is for sure the color I will do when the time comes.

I have to go by a Mazda store and check out the color in person. Is the BASF straight red, the same a base red? I want a factory color, not a custom paint mix that would be hard to match.
Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2012 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post

Rick 88

3914 posts
Member since Aug 2001

Originally posted by skitime:

I agree. When I had my GT even Fiero people would aways come up an ask me what color I painted it. I would telll them the original Bright Red and they would not believe me. It is a very bright red. I had 3 coats of clear on it but that was only thing different from the original GM color. With the Fiero people that would argue with me, I would walk over to a darker original red Fiero and lift the hood to show them the color at the top of the fenders under the hood without color fad. They would be amazed.

Ski, I got to see your car in person in Gunnison Colorado with it's new owner. It did not look factory red to me, but it has been a long time since I saw a new red Fiero. What kind of clear coat did you use to get the depth of shine you paint has?
skitime

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 332
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2012 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rick 88:

I wonder if a single stage red would be a better choice here in the sunny southwest? Do some paints have better UV inhibitors than others?

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Ive found the 8774 GM red is very transparent and takes extra coats to cover. All automotive paints now have UV prohibitors. Reds dont go bad like they used to. The bad colors now for fading are silvers and golds. You can get clear coat delamination though if you dont apply it right...but that will take a number of years. My personal choices for bright reds are Ferrari RossaCorsa like mentioned, and Mercedes & Porsche Signal red (Benz code 548). I painted my 450SL that color and it screams at you. A lot of reds to me are just too orangey.

I doubt you would find a better answer then from Roger. He has a body shop. It was the old orginal paint the had the fade to dark problem.

Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2012 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post

By oldlar at 2012-08-03
Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2012 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post
That's so red the roof melted!

Actually that picture of the stock red GT furthur up in the thread looks very red to me. I am sure the lighting conditons make a difference.
PFF
System Bot
RULOOKIN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2012 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINDirect Link to This Post

you be the judge ! but factory 88 gt red when wet sanded and clay bar buffed looks pretty sharp did this with my car looks great !
PIP is not working >???

[This message has been edited by RULOOKIN (edited 08-03-2012).]

Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2012 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post
Rulookin, your paint is amazing. How much clear did you put on, and then sand off, to get that finish? What kind of paint did you use?

[This message has been edited by Rick 88 (edited 08-03-2012).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2012 08:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
You get the look by how well you finish it, sanding and polishing. You only see that finish on the top layer...whether its on top of 10 coats or one coat of clear. Less is more durable. You can get a single stage color to be just as reflective and brite as any clearcoat one. In fact black single stage done right is darker and deeper than clear ever makes it. Clear gives it a milky or 'off black' look.

NEVER figure on what a color looks like on your computer or even a photo...Colors rarely come out as digital media shows them campared to in person. Red and oranges are the worse to image. Take floresent orange like used to be on Hooters #7 or Gordons Dupont original paint job....They were never even close on a photo to the the real car unless they were photo edited.
Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2012 08:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
What i like about red besides the look also yellow black is it can be touched up. I painted my car metallic and since i moulded my guards i have to paint whole thing on one go. With solid colors with perhaps and exception to silver it can be blended metallics are always to hard to match the colour mix right again.
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2012 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerDirect Link to This Post

You so rarely see one in "as new" condition you don't realize just how brilliant of a red it is.

Paint Code 81
GM Code WA8774
Ditzler PPG 3794

I also have a 88 Bright Red Formula. I've recently been rubbing and buffing it. I am AMAZED at how awesome that shade of red is! I would have never thought of painting my project red but now I'm torn right down the middle between red and black! So if I decide to go with this red, is the above information all I need at the paint store to match it? Can any store make up a copy of this red with this info?

Thanks,

------------------
Jonathan
23K mile '85 notchie w/ 88 cradle, '87 2.8/Getrag, Air, PW, PDL, PM - Still under construction
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/121056.html
I'm not a mechanic but I play one in my garage - me
Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely - Lord Acton
Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not - Thomas Jefferson
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants - Thomas Jefferson

Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2012 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rick 88:

The original Fiero red is a nice color too, but tended to fade quickly and suffer from clear coat failure. I wonder if a single stage red would be a better choice here in the sunny southwest? Do some paints have better UV inhibitors than others?

Original shade doesn't mean original chemistry. I'm sure a modern base coat / clear coat with built in UV protection in the same shade wouldn't have the fade and clear coat problems.
When I paint my Fiero, if I keep it red, it'll be 88 Bright Red, no question. I just can't decide if I want to change color or not.
Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2012 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post

Original shade doesn't mean original chemistry. I'm sure a modern base coat / clear coat with built in UV protection in the same shade wouldn't have the fade and clear coat problems.
When I paint my Fiero, if I keep it red, it'll be 88 Bright Red, no question. I just can't decide if I want to change color or not.

The intense sun here in the southwest tends to fry clearcoats, even on later model cars. Do the single stage paints have the same UV inhibitors as the base/clear paints. If I was smart, I would just paint my car bright white....... It would probabaly last the longest here. I really don't want to do a complete color change. Am I being too picky on a Fiero?
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2012 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Yes single stage has it too. If you use hardener, you can sand and buff out single stage just the same as clearcoat. I did my last SL in single stage. It turned out gorgeous and still is a show car 20 years later. Its got almost 300,000 miles on it now. I painted it in about 1992/93. Any automotive paint store can mix the paint from the formula. GMs old codes were the 2 numbers and a U or L (upper/lower) and the newer code is WA-XXXX. I prefer using the WA number because I have seen the same 2 number code repeated on different colors/ years.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2012 08:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by crashyoung:

Red is one of the worse colors for fade.
I mentioned doing a red/gold combo, but I was shown what happens to red after a few years of UV exposure.
Even some other paints fade quite rapidly with UV, so the better brands are recommended.
Storing your car in a garage is fine, but if you drive yours like I drive mine, it would be out during the day.

It has something to do with the pigments that Red seems to fade fast but for a garage kept show car it should not be a problem. While I like the color, Red cars statistically are also the most ticketed cars. When I had my Red Monte Carlo a few years back I was being pulled over constantly. Now that I drive a Silver Chrysler I never get pulled over. Point is that flashly colors look great but stand out. IMO you are better off with a white, cream, black, gray, gunmetal and subdued colors on a daily driver.
------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 08-09-2012).]

Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2012 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

It has something to do with the pigments that Red seems to fade fast but for a garage kept show car it should not be a problem. While I like the color, Red cars statistically are also the most ticketed cars. When I had my Red Monte Carlo a few years back I was being pulled over constantly. Now that I drive a Silver Chrysler I never get pulled over. Point is that flashly colors look great but stand out. IMO you are better off with a white, cream, black, gray, gunmetal and subdued colors on a daily driver.

I guess I have been the exception. My first red car was a Buccaneer Red 75 Trans Am I installed a Ram Air III 400 into. Then a bright red 87 Trans Am GTA with a 5-speed manual and TPI V8 I purchased new. For some reason (probably dumb luck) I never got a ticket in either car, even though I should of.

My current red car (the one I want to paint "arrest me red") is an 88 Mera 5-speed. i have not gotten a ticket in that one either (whew). I did get stopped in our white CRV, go figure.........
PFF
System Bot
lildevil

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2012 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lildevilClick Here to visit lildevil's HomePageSend a Private Message to lildevilDirect Link to This Post
looking for the reddest red or the brightest?
Heres the formula for WA8774 in NEXA... notice how theres red tint plus white violet and black....

Heres the Formula for Torch Red, probably the brightest GM red....

Heres the color swatches of the two together...

My car uses just the 980 tint...just red no black white or what ever.
heres how the tint alone compares to Torch Red...

------------------

Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2012 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post
Unless I am colorblind the Torch Red is brighter than the Bright Red, and the tint only is even brighter. Can you post some pictures of your car in different lighting? To me, your car is "Arrest Me Red".
lildevil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2012 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lildevilClick Here to visit lildevil's HomePageSend a Private Message to lildevilDirect Link to This Post
Right....Torch is brighter then Bright Red and jus the tint 980 is brighter still. Since it has nothing added to it to darken it. Or white to make it go pink or yellow to make it go orange. I can try to take some tommorrow if the sun is out but red is a difficult color to take a pic of. The color looks different in person. This pic is probably the best i have that shows its actual hue....

This one is close
lildevil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2012 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lildevilClick Here to visit lildevil's HomePageSend a Private Message to lildevilDirect Link to This Post

lildevil

1537 posts
Member since Aug 2001
same day same camera....First 8774

then Tint 980 Speed Red
Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2012 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post
Thanks for the pictures. Your car looks great. I just saw a Viper in our parking lot that was red. It was an older model coupe but the color was intense. It was much brighter than a new red Camaro, or a red Solstice in the same lot. Do you know if Viper red is similar to the base tint red you have?
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2012 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by lildevil:
My car uses just the 980 tint...just red no black white or what ever.

To my thinking, that would be, by definition, the reddest you can get.
Anything "brighter" would simply be a lighter shade of that.

But the next question is, are there different "tints" of the basic red basecoat other than the 980?
docholliday

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2012 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dochollidaySend a Private Message to dochollidayDirect Link to This Post
Back in the day, I purchased a new 1991 Lumina Eurosport that was TORCH RED. If I ever have my 88 GT painted, that's what it will get. Had the Lumina for over 200,000 miles and it looked great the day that I got rid of it (donated it to GoodWill Industries).
lildevil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2012 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lildevilClick Here to visit lildevil's HomePageSend a Private Message to lildevilDirect Link to This Post
Have to check on the Viper red. I'll look it up tomorrow on the computer. Our paint line had three red tints. The 980 is the brightest. The other is a more tomato red and the other a darker red. And yes by definition this would be the brightest red you could get.
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-12-2012 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalDirect Link to This Post
to the o/p
fyi digital cameras don't do red well at all. the red you are see'n in photo's are not the red on the car..
even the best digital cameras 9000.00+ still haven't got it down..
never mind your computer screen..
rogers little beef with some reds and it taking tons of coats.. in a production shop thats a pain.. as it's take time and time is money, and product.. thats not cheap..
for you.. it can be a GODSEND.. here is why.. you can "SEE" the red change and can get to a color you'd like that might be lighter than or darker than the chip you looked at thats close but not quite right..
transparent colors allow the base sealer to show through. and CAN be used to TINT the top coat colour.. think of it as a poor mans candy paint.. going a step father, if you add shadowing to the base. you can really make the car pop. without being eye burning bright..
transparent top coats are disliked by production shops.. as it eats time and money.. they really hate peril whites.. some factory colours of that have 10+ alt. chip formulas..
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock