Junk yard score! Tiburon seats fit perfectly by JCzzle
Started on: 06-25-2012 01:26 AM
Replies: 38
Last post by: skuzzbomer on 08-12-2012 10:41 AM
JCzzle

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2012 01:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JCzzleSend a Private Message to JCzzleDirect Link to This Post
Seats are 20.5 inches at their widest and allow use of the hand brake. Once the stock sliders were removed, I was able to bolt the stock slider on the inside edge and just made brackets on the other side.

They are manual seats and move forward and back like the stockers. I'm about 1 inch higher than stock which is perfect for me.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fieroall

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2012 01:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroallSend a Private Message to fieroallDirect Link to This Post
What year Tiburon. They look great.
SkyeBologna

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2012 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SkyeBolognaClick Here to visit SkyeBologna's HomePageSend a Private Message to SkyeBolognaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroall:

What year Tiburon. They look great.

+1
LAMBO

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2012 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LAMBOSend a Private Message to LAMBODirect Link to This Post
Those look like the GT leather seats. My daughter has an 04 GT with black leather just like the ones in your pic. They're pretty comfy and have a lumbar adjuster in them. Hmmmmmm.
JCzzle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2012 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JCzzleSend a Private Message to JCzzleDirect Link to This Post
They came off an 03 GT.
SkyeBologna

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2012 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SkyeBolognaClick Here to visit SkyeBologna's HomePageSend a Private Message to SkyeBolognaDirect Link to This Post
thank you

Originally posted by JCzzle:

They came off an 03 GT.

FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2012 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post
Those look good in the Fiero.

------------------

88 Coupe: 2.0L Turbo 4 Cylinder
84 Indy #64: Restoration Project!

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2012 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

I'm about 1 inch higher than stock which is perfect for me.

Those seats being higher than a factory Fiero seat would be a deal killer for a lot of us who are tall. They do look good though.
mptighe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 122
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2012 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheDirect Link to This Post

Seats are 20.5 inches at their widest and allow use of the hand brake. Once the stock sliders were removed, I was able to bolt the stock slider on the inside edge and just made brackets on the other side.

They are manual seats and move forward and back like the stockers. I'm about 1 inch higher than stock which is perfect for me.

So, these are the ones with the airbags? Do you mind if I ask what they cost you? I was looking at Corvette seats, but these would do quite well for what I have planned, and I'm willing to bet they're easier to get.

JCzzle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2012 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCzzleSend a Private Message to JCzzleDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mptighe:

So, these are the ones with the airbags? Do you mind if I ask what they cost you? I was looking at Corvette seats, but these would do quite well for what I have planned, and I'm willing to bet they're easier to get.

They were 21.99 each at the junkyard priced as manual bucket seats. I did a quick search after I pulled them and they're going for over $300 online so junk yard is the way to go.
I was gonna go the C4 Corvette seats route or the cheap chinese racing seats but got lucky and found these.

I didn't do anything with the airbag cause I'm scared of touching it. It should be safe as long as there's no power going to it right?
mptighe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2012 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheDirect Link to This Post

They were 21.99 each at the junkyard priced as manual bucket seats. I did a quick search after I pulled them and they're going for over $300 online so junk yard is the way to go.
I was gonna go the C4 Corvette seats route or the cheap chinese racing seats but got lucky and found these.

I didn't do anything with the airbag cause I'm scared of touching it. It should be safe as long as there's no power going to it right?

Dunno, but I'm sure someone could make sure they're discharged or removed safely if you're worried about it. I've been looking for some myself since I saw them in yours. You DEFINITELY got a score there.
PFF
System Bot
mptighe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2012 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheDirect Link to This Post

mptighe

3321 posts
Member since Aug 2009
Questions, any modifying needed? How did you mount them? Are they as comfortable as the Fiero seats?
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2012 04:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
one for the memory banks only wish i knew earlier.
InTheLead

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2012 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for InTheLeadSend a Private Message to InTheLeadDirect Link to This Post
Interested in how you actually bolted them down, safely.
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2012 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
Yea, like Patrick said, really nice seats but I just have enough headroom/legroom as it is with the stock seats. Another inch higher and I wouldn't be comfortable at all. But again very nice seats.
JCzzle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2012 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCzzleSend a Private Message to JCzzleDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by InTheLead:

Interested in how you actually bolted them down, safely.

They seem pretty sturdy so hopefully they're safe.

The stock seat frame has rails on each side that the stock Tiburon sliders bolt onto. The seat is mounted to the frame so the sliders don't bolt directly to the seat which is what made it easier.

The inside edge of the seat pretty much just bolts up in the front and then I drilled a new hole in the rear to match the fiero slider.

The "door" side is a couple of inches wide so I got 2 flat pieces of steel from Home Depot, drilled holes to mount them on the stock rail and then bolted the other Fiero slider on the extended pieces (pretty much just relocated the hole). I thought about welding the piece of steel to the rail but it seemed to hold well and that's how the stock sliders were bolted on there anyways.

Should I go with one piece of flat steel to run the length from front to back along the rail instead? As it sits, I don't get any movement and the sliders move front and back without twisting or binding. I wouldn't mind using my welder either if you guys think it needs to be welded for safety. I was kinda bummed when it all bolted up since that was going to be my first big welding project.

I tried mounting some AutoZone racing seats last year and it was impossible without welding a bracket. The difference this time was the frame that came with the Tiburon seat. It has accessible rails to mount other sliders onto.

JCzzle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2012 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCzzleSend a Private Message to JCzzleDirect Link to This Post

JCzzle

67 posts
Member since Sep 2009

Originally posted by mattwa:

Yea, like Patrick said, really nice seats but I just have enough headroom/legroom as it is with the stock seats. Another inch higher and I wouldn't be comfortable at all. But again very nice seats.

I still have to move the seat forward to reach the steering wheel.

I'm 5'7" if that helps for reference...
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2012 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post

I still have to move the seat forward to reach the steering wheel.

I'm 5'7" if that helps for reference...

Yea that's a bit of a difference. I'm nearly 6' 6".
NEVERDONE

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2012 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NEVERDONESend a Private Message to NEVERDONEDirect Link to This Post
I have a chance to buy some out of a 2001 tiburon. Are they the same from that yer to the 03? I don't know if this one is a gt or not.
mptighe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2012 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NEVERDONE:

I have a chance to buy some out of a 2001 tiburon. Are they the same from that yer to the 03? I don't know if this one is a gt or not.

Nope different cars 2003+ is what you want if you're looking for these.
DLCLK87GT

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2012 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTDirect Link to This Post
personally i would remove the air bag from the seat before installing it. With no power going to it it shouldn't go off but it would sure scare the crap out of you if for some unknown reason it did. And with no power going to if for a day or so it can be touched, had to remove 2 from my F-150 so i could pull the dash out to replace the heater core...stupidest location I've ever seen for one. But ya, i'd take them out.
PFF
System Bot
onesexyfiero

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2012 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for onesexyfieroSend a Private Message to onesexyfieroDirect Link to This Post
Wow, those look great. I'm 6', and I've got 3-4 inches of headroom to spare. I could definitively use a seat that's an inch higher. My heel goes numb on long drives from the low angle of my foot and leg. Time to hit up the junk yards...
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2012 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerDirect Link to This Post
What dash do you have?

Jonathan
JCzzle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2012 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCzzleSend a Private Message to JCzzleDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boostdreamer:

What dash do you have?

Jonathan

The dash is from an 01 Grand Prix GTP. Had to be cut quite a bit to fit. It's too wide and too long front to back to start with. I also grabbed the center console from the Tiburon and hooked it up to the stock one. Could be attached better but I was already worn out from the dash to do any more.

Quad Raider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2012 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderDirect Link to This Post
Those seats look like they were made for the car.
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2012 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the info. Nice work!

Jonathan
ConvictedRedneck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2012 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ConvictedRedneckSend a Private Message to ConvictedRedneckDirect Link to This Post
Awesome work and great find! I've been searching for a factory seat that doesn't break the bank and these might just be the ticket. There are even "cloth" versions in red and black like I was looking for. They're leather with cloth inserts...looks pretty slick.
Quad Raider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2012 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderDirect Link to This Post
Any chance you'd post photos of how you mounted them? And what's the best way to remove the airbags?
ConvictedRedneck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2012 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ConvictedRedneckSend a Private Message to ConvictedRedneckDirect Link to This Post
What's the concern with removing them? They're extremely stable units that aren't just going to go off without a power source.
Quad Raider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2012 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderDirect Link to This Post
I'd just feel better with them out. Plus, they might be fun to play with. I figured someone with your username would understand that.
ConvictedRedneck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2012 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ConvictedRedneckSend a Private Message to ConvictedRedneckDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Quad Raider:

I'd just feel better with them out. Plus, they might be fun to play with. I figured someone with your username would understand that.

You have a point! It would depend if they were sewn in or have the plastic cover like my RSX seats did. Either way, I feel trying to take them out would be just as, if not more, dangerous than leaving them in.
PFF
System Bot
Blacktop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2012 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktopSend a Private Message to BlacktopDirect Link to This Post
I really wonder what kind of engineering efforts would go into arming a Fiero with a full SRS system, steering wheel, passenger bag, seat bags, One would think that all it would really take would be impact sensors mounted in correct locations and a processor to process signals from impact sensors and send the pulse to deploy the bags fast enough.

One would probably think wrong though.
Quad Raider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2012 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderDirect Link to This Post
Seems to me installing the sensors and the airbags would probably be the easy part, relatively speaking. The lack of crash testing to make sure the airbags are in the right spot may be a bigger concern.
Blacktop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2012 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktopSend a Private Message to BlacktopDirect Link to This Post
Indeed. Wishful thinking.
skuzzbomer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2012 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktop:

Indeed. Wishful thinking.

They're not necessary anyway. In a small cabin, it takers some work to figure or where they should be located so as not to risk killing the occupants with too much force. I'd think the liability there is way too high if you had a passenger that got hurt in a wreck from a thrown-together airbag system. There are several members here that can attest to how safe a stock Fiero is... Fie Ro wrapped his first car around a tree at ~50mph and hopped away.

Click to show

On an unrelated note, those seats look great but I want to see the rest of that interior build.
TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2012 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEDirect Link to This Post
I was wondering if you could take some pictures of the mounting.
I would really like to do the same set-up and it would much easier for all of us if we had some pictures.
I do understand that it would require you to pull the seat out to take the pictures, but I know it would be much appreciate by the rest of us...any and all assistance is appreciated
Quad Raider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2012 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderDirect Link to This Post
I looked at a 2005 Tiburon in my local pull-a-part this morning but the seats and even the console were long gone. I don't normally look at the import section of the yard since I don't own any, but I saw some seats in a Mitsubishi Eclipse that looked pretty sharp. Anyone ever try adapting them to a Fiero?
Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2012 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
skuzzbomer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2012 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Australian:

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s...612-2007-/1002619153
want a laugh

I was wondering if they actually used their own designs on that car... Apparently not, since it does have a few similarities in profile to that Maranello.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock