Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  I need info on the thread, size and info for the screws/bolts that hold the wing on..

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

I need info on the thread, size and info for the screws/bolts that hold the wing on.. by FieroGTguy
Started on: 06-05-2012 08:38 PM
Replies: 6
Last post by: NC&StL on 06-07-2012 09:47 PM
FieroGTguy

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2012 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTguyClick Here to visit FieroGTguy's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroGTguyDirect Link to This Post
I need info on the thread, size and info for the screws/bolts that hold the wing stands to the decklid and to the wing itself. Anyone kind enough to post that info for my Lowes trip?

Thanks,
Greg

------------------

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Bloozberry

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2012 07:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post
They're actually a specialized stud with wood screw threads on the half that screws into the wing stand, and machine threads on the half that goes through to the under side of the decklid. The two halves are separated by an integral washer welded on. I've searched in the P22 (illustrated parts manual) for the specs on it but it's not listed. I doubt you'll find anything exactly like it at the hardware store, though there are plenty of these dual thread studs available in sizes that will work. Just make sure that the part that screws into the plastic (coarse threads) isn't any larger in diameter than the original ones or you'll end up breaking the rather brittle plastic in the wing stands as you screw it in.

css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2012 08:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bloozberry:

They're actually a specialized stud with wood screw threads on the half that screws into the wing stand, and machine threads on the half that goes through to the under side of the decklid. The two halves are separated by an integral washer welded on.

Hmmmm, I wonder if they're the same as the studs that mount the side mirrors?
Bloozberry

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2012 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post
THey could be, but I think the mirror studs are machine threaded on both ends.
FieroG97J

Feedback score:    (31)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2012 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroG97JSend a Private Message to FieroG97JDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by css9450:

Hmmmm, I wonder if they're the same as the studs that mount the side mirrors?

They are different.
FieroGTguy

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2012 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTguyClick Here to visit FieroGTguy's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroGTguyDirect Link to This Post
+'s for all your comments. What length should the bolts be from the bottom wing stand though the decklid (attached w/ nut)?

Greg
NC&StL

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2012 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NC&StLSend a Private Message to NC&StLDirect Link to This Post
I just finished reinstalling a wing that the previous owner removed years ago. The threads on the machine screw side are M6-1.0. Not sure if these were original or not, but the two back studs were a different length from the front one. I didn't measure them, but I would guess the machined side to be about 3/4" on one pair and about 1" on the longer pair. It bolted up just fine. The coarse thread side was maybe 3/4" long. You might want to consider epoxying a stud into the wing if you can't find the correct bolts. Just don't over torque it since it won't have a washer to seat against.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock