Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Went to Pull-a-Part..saw the worst rust I have ever seen (on a Fiero) (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Went to Pull-a-Part..saw the worst rust I have ever seen (on a Fiero) by mattwa
Started on: 04-27-2012 10:29 PM
Replies: 49
Last post by: mattwa on 06-06-2012 10:53 PM
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2012 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
I was at pull-a-part today, as I wanted to get a brake booster and a set of front rotors to use as hubs for my brake upgrade. Also wanted to see a Fiero that was new to the yard. OH MY GAWD. It was literally the worst Fiero I have seen as far as rust goes. It's unreal. I could lift the rear body/strut tower/trunk separate from the engine/cradle. I did take some parts off it though, like the tachometer. Both seats are ripped up, and there is a huge chunk missing from the dash corner. It's an 86 SE, I was surprised to see a 2.8 in the yard, but with this frame, there is no doubt. Forget about frame rails, there isn't anything left period. I bet this Fiero is really light, haha.

I mean, this is worse then RWDPLZ's 84, and that's bad.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 04-27-2012).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
firejo24

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2012 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firejo24Send a Private Message to firejo24Direct Link to This Post
Who needs a trunk!
Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2012 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
IT CAN BE SAVED!
Some duct tape, a little bit of wax and elbow grease.. SAVE IT!
kendallville

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2012 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kendallvilleSend a Private Message to kendallvilleDirect Link to This Post
I hate to see them in a yard , but that was a mercy killing RIP
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2012 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mattwa:

I mean, this is worse then RWDPLZ's 84, and that's bad.

LOL! I saw the thread title and thought, 'It can't be as bad as mine was' but HOLY CRAP! Mine, when viewed from the back, had that same problem with the rear bumper sagging down to one side, when the strut tower detached.
Carcenomy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2012 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CarcenomyClick Here to visit Carcenomy's HomePageSend a Private Message to CarcenomyDirect Link to This Post
Sweet baby jesus.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2012 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

LOL! I saw the thread title and thought, 'It can't be as bad as mine was' but HOLY CRAP! Mine, when viewed from the back, had that same problem with the rear bumper sagging down to one side, when the strut tower detached.

So i'm assuming it is in fact worse then yours was?
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2012 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
Oh yeah, my lower rail wasn't that bad, I had a bit more strut tower, and cradle was mostly surface rust. That thing needs a new cradle, the lower rail front to back, the bottom half of the strut tower, and I'm sure the upper rail is gone. It COULD be done, but YEESH. That car, obviously they stopped driving it when the lower control arm separated from the cradle, I bet they were still driving it around when the strut tower separated.
Oosky

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2012 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OoskySend a Private Message to OoskyDirect Link to This Post
poor thing....:'( yea I bet I was driving my car around for a while when the strut thing was separated from the cradle....scaryyy.....D:
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2012 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

Oh yeah, my lower rail wasn't that bad, I had a bit more strut tower, and cradle was mostly surface rust. That thing needs a new cradle, the lower rail front to back, the bottom half of the strut tower, and I'm sure the upper rail is gone. It COULD be done, but YEESH. That car, obviously they stopped driving it when the lower control arm separated from the cradle, I bet they were still driving it around when the strut tower separated.

This really makes me wonder why some things rust on some fiero's and not others. Like, your cradle on your 84 was fine. My cradle on my 86 had holes, and a football sized hole in the trunk, but the frame rails and strut tower areas are perfect, 100% solid. But my front suspension/top plates look horrible. I think one factor is mileage. My 86 had only 49k on it at the time, while your 84 had high miles (don't recall the number).

But yea, the passenger side barely had a hint of an upper frame rail. Also, that one area by the passenger floor drain plug, it was basically one big hole, definitely could poke carpet there.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 04-28-2012).]

Justinbart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2012 12:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartDirect Link to This Post
dibs on the axles.

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 5spd spec5
11.54@132.7

PFF
System Bot
Reallybig

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2012 02:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ReallybigSend a Private Message to ReallybigDirect Link to This Post
Repairman in a can! It'll be good as new!

On the plus side, the engine bay has additional ventilation for keeping the heat down.

[This message has been edited by Reallybig (edited 04-28-2012).]

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2012 02:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
There's nothing left to convert.
ckrummy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2012 06:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ckrummySend a Private Message to ckrummyDirect Link to This Post
It can be saved you'll just have to section it at the steering wheel (Pull the steering wheel off, and drive a new car under it, then reinstall) sorry Body Man joke
jwrape

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2012 06:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jwrapeSend a Private Message to jwrapeDirect Link to This Post
poor thing dies of Cancer

------------------
Car Thread:
86 GT
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...ML/085541.html

30+mpg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2012 07:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgDirect Link to This Post
Well, at least the body panels appeared to be in good shape.

On any steel bodied car with that amount of rust, the rocker panels would be mostly gone as well as the fender arches.
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post04-28-2012 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalDirect Link to This Post
that musta been in a salt water area.. we see that on cars at this costal homes, after only 4-5 years..
Frizlefrak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2012 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FrizlefrakSend a Private Message to FrizlefrakDirect Link to This Post
WOW! So that's what happens.....I've seen cars like this in pics, but never actually seen vehicle rust in person. That's just beyond words.....
tbone42

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2012 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Direct Link to This Post
Matt is that in columbus?
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2012 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Frizlefrak:

WOW! So that's what happens.....I've seen cars like this in pics, but never actually seen vehicle rust in person. That's just beyond words.....

Yeah people that live in warm dry climates have heard about rust but don't really know what it is... I have parts cars that look 10x better than that. But I grew up in western NY so I'm quite familiar with iron oxide.
PBJ

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2012 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
I think it must have been imported from Ontario or Quebec where I am sure auto-manufactures pay for our road salt to keep sales up. I am unbolting a frt sway bar off a customers 08 truck and 3 of the 4 bolts break off cause they are rusted/siezed up...

Pete

------------------

88 3800 turbo

PFF
System Bot
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2012 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
No, this one was in the Cleveland West pull-a-part.

But this car had to be in like a combination of saltwater/ road salt area. The crazy part (and downside of Fieros) is from the outside, it would look pretty normal, except I'm sure it would lean because of the strut tower on the passenger side.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 04-28-2012).]

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2012 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
Like many cars 25-30 years old they don't get used but "used up". Its obvious that car got very little if any maintenance. I would grab the body panels as they look pretty good. The rest of that vehicle looks rotten to the core. Must have been owned by a low class individual.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2012 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
That is very true Dennis. You don't want to know the amount of sludge I saw in the head when I popped off the oil fill cap....
84se2m4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2012 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84se2m4Send a Private Message to 84se2m4Direct Link to This Post
I have one in my backyard thats worse than that. Its an 86 SE too! Must be an 86 SE thing
The cradle is powder, the part where the control arms bolt up to is completely gone. Floors are gone completely rusted.
Forget the rad support it is just powder!
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2012 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
That's Canada, therefore a different situation/discussion altogether.
84se2m4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2012 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84se2m4Send a Private Message to 84se2m4Direct Link to This Post
Its the friggen road salt and the sea breeze
BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2012 01:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsDirect Link to This Post
That had to be submerged at some point.. I have never seen a Fiero rust like that. WOW
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2012 03:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
Only thing left is the panels.
no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2012 08:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilDirect Link to This Post
What pull-a-part is this? Assuming I am close as you are in Cleveland, I would love to get that intake plenum & valve covers!

I'm not brave enough to dry Dawgs mod on my only one.
pro street dave

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2012 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pro street daveSend a Private Message to pro street daveDirect Link to This Post
Keep out of SNOW! I hat RUST!
PFF
System Bot
currie68

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2012 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for currie68Send a Private Message to currie68Direct Link to This Post
poor cars. Im so glad we dont use that darn salt on our roads. you guys can keep that stuff over there.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2012 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post
There are a lot more Fiero's with similar rust like this but may of the people driving them just don't know.

I hate to say it but there are many here that have far more rust then they really know they have.

We may have plastic bodies but the space frames under the panels can really rot away unnoticed.
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2012 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post
I had one I purchased as a parts car that had a little more rust than that. Poor car.

------------------

88 Coupe: 2.0L Turbo 4 Cylinder
84 Indy #64: Restoration Project!

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2012 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
Interesting how the northern guys act like it's normal (isn't that a bit extreme?) while the southern guys are horrified such a thing exists. Haha. Pretty sad how many nice frames are scrapped in the south...
Frizlefrak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2012 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FrizlefrakSend a Private Message to FrizlefrakDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mattwa:

Interesting how the northern guys act like it's normal (isn't that a bit extreme?) while the southern guys are horrified such a thing exists. Haha. Pretty sad how many nice frames are scrapped in the south...

Matt, I've seen Fiero chassis that look as good as the day they were born crushed here. Repeatedly. Quite sad.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2012 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post
I have seen clean frames but blown engines scrapped and I have seen cars with damaged frames get paint jobs and other things till the owner finds the rust under it.

I once had a guy call me to look at a Fiero for him. The trunk was gone and I told him to walk away, he still bought it anyways. Needless to day he has a poor opinion now on Fiero's since his was crap.

Some people just don't learn or listen.

With a Fiero you need to really look under the car and pull up the carpet as it may look good outside but you may have a money pit in the making under the body.

The great myth Fiero's don't rust.

I have seen Vettes do similar. I had a customer with a 61 Roadster and it looked showroom new on top and inside. It ran great too. Now the frame was patched up several times as it had rusted through. If you had a clean frame you could have made a show car out of it but the frame was all welded up and just looked like crap.

[This message has been edited by hyperv6 (edited 04-29-2012).]

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2012 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
Yea, my dad and I were un-aware of the rust areas when I bought my first Fiero in 2008, and even though it only had 49k miles, the cradle had rust holes, trunk had a football sized hole, etc. Didn't seem like it of course because the interior was 99% perfect and the Paint was great. Ohio really kills cars. My Fiero was garaged most of it's life and when I got it it looked like this. It may not look bad, but that's with only 49k miles?!

Later picture

It just makes no sense. The trunk corner was killed, the cradle was toast...frame rails are perfect??

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 04-29-2012).]

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2012 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post
Just proves you need to do your home work on any car you buy or you may run the risk of a major money pit. This is for new or old cars alike.

I can't believe how blind some people buy cars anymore. New cars are just as bad as I see people on the web brag about a price paid for a new car that I just paid $4K less for.

The first think I do with any used car is get it on a rack. I looked at an Elcamino SS a while back that looked mint. I got it on the rack and right in front of the rear control arms were holes rusted in the frame I stuck my fist into. It was a matter of time till the control arm would pull out. I think the owner had no idea by the look on his face. I think the gas station charged me $5 to lift it and it saved me thousands of dollars.

I have considered we should do a FAQ on a Fiero buyers guide to save some folks from making a big mistake.

[This message has been edited by hyperv6 (edited 04-29-2012).]

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2012 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
I agree it wasn't the best purchase, but it's a much different Fiero then it was 4 years ago.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock