Rad teen is building her own car by 308 Ferrari Kit
Started on: 04-17-2012 10:18 PM
Replies: 29
Last post by: Cliff Pennock on 04-20-2012 03:46 AM
308 Ferrari Kit

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2012 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 308 Ferrari KitSend a Private Message to 308 Ferrari KitDirect Link to This Post
Saw this on Yahoo and thought I would share it with everyone. A positive story about a Fiero involving someone who wasn't even born when the Fiero came and went.
Today in Tech
This rad teen is building her own car for her 16th birthday
By Tecca | Today in Tech

It's been two years since 14-year-old Kathryn started restoring an '88 Pontiac Fiero

If you've ever watched an episode of MTV's My Super Sweet 16, then you're probably no stranger to spoiled teenagers asking their parents for fancy, expensive cars... and then throwing tantrums when they get the wrong color or model. Thankfully, 14-year-old Kathryn from Michigan is cut from a completely different cloth — she's been rebuilding an old car for the past two years, mostly on her own.

It all started back when Kathryn was only 12. She successfully convinced her parents to let her buy an old Pontiac Fiero using her own money that she earned babysitting. From the start, she planned on spending four years restoring the car until she can legally drive it. Her parents first thought it was a phase she'd outgrow, but she's clearly still keeping at it, even going as far as to miss soccer this spring to concentrate on her masterpiece.

Kathryn's story first hit in the internet in 2011 when her (very proud) father posted about her efforts on a Fiero forum. Since then, Kathryn has been visiting the forum herself, and other users would sometimes even ask her for car advice. Not bad for a young lady who started with simple sanding and painting before moving on to more difficult tasks like upholstery work and even welding, which she thought was terrifying. We can't wait to see what the car looks like in two years' time, and what new project Kathryn cooks up in the future.

[Image credit: Wikimedia]
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Axdrenalin

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2012 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AxdrenalinClick Here to visit Axdrenalin's HomePageSend a Private Message to AxdrenalinDirect Link to This Post
Hey 308, nice to see another East TN Fiero owner up here...but...That thread is right here on PFF.

Robert
Christine

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2012 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ChristineSend a Private Message to ChristineDirect Link to This Post
The thread for this build is here: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/085309.html

Nice to see youth doing something good with their time. Go Kathryn
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2012 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

There was also an article about her on Jalopnik: http://jalopnik.com/5901950...or-her-sweet-sixteen
And the thread mentioning it: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/088971.html

[This message has been edited by Formula88 (edited 04-17-2012).]

mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2012 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroDirect Link to This Post
That's not the same car. The one in her thread is a black-ish aero notchie ('86 SE?).....if it were this white Formula then there wouldn't be much work to do to it!
jwrape

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2012 06:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jwrapeSend a Private Message to jwrapeDirect Link to This Post
LOL! This thread is EVERYWHERE.... So much positive reaction to our little 14 yr old Pennock :-)
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2012 06:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockDirect Link to This Post
First Jalopnik, then Yahoo, Now MSN.

Me needs more servers!
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post04-18-2012 07:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mrfiero:

That's not the same car. The one in her thread is a black-ish aero notchie ('86 SE?).....if it were this white Formula then there wouldn't be much work to do to it!

They just used a random picture of a Fiero they found on the Internet, with more explicit allowance for re-use, probably to be legally smart about it.
css9450

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2012 07:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

They just used a random picture of a Fiero they found on the Internet, with more explicit allowance for re-use, probably to be legally smart about it.

Ironically the picture belongs to a forum member here...

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2012 09:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockDirect Link to This Post
Yet another site linking to the thread: autoblog.gr

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2012 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
Wow cool, I had seen the thread but didn't know the media covered it. A note about the pic being of a white one. At the bottom it says : "[Image credit: Wikimedia]"
I think they just used a stock image of any Fiero for their story.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 04-18-2012).]

PFF
System Bot
sebw8891

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2012 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sebw8891Send a Private Message to sebw8891Direct Link to This Post
The fiero was before my time too im about to turn 21..i am just into classic cars as is but id much rather have my fiero than some japanese car these are nice collectable sports cars in my opinion
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2012 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockDirect Link to This Post
And one more: The Mary Sue
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-18-2012 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by css9450:
Ironically the picture belongs to a forum member here...

Perhaps, but it was pulled from here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Fiero88.JPG

There it says it was explicitly released into the public domain, meaning they have some legal grounds to reuse it in their article. And if it hasn't been, then the blame gets pushed down the line and Yahoo! is in the clear.
michhiker28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2012 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for michhiker28Send a Private Message to michhiker28Direct Link to This Post
Thanks all for keeping us in the loop. We are trying to keep track of where it appears and things for Kathryn's scrap book.

-MH
kathryn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2012 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kathrynClick Here to visit kathryn's HomePageSend a Private Message to kathrynDirect Link to This Post
I simply never expected this to take off!!
I just thought hey I'm re-building a car as a daddy/daughter/mom project!
Thanks for the updates and all the support....sorry if the server is still crashing.
I will be welding in my trunk this week..Yay!
-kathryn
Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2012 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kathryn:

Thanks for the updates and all the support....sorry if the server is still crashing.
-kathryn

So how does it feel to be famous all of a sudden? Bet the kids at school are going to be talking about this for a long time to come.
mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2012 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroDirect Link to This Post

OK......but the first sentence says "It's been two years since 14-year-old Kathryn started restoring an '88 Pontiac Fiero".

It's just odd that they would get that wrong.....I mean the PFF thread about it says it's an '86 and even has a picture of it too. I guess lazy journalism irritates me.

Nice to see this story making the rounds though......the more people reading about it the better!
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2012 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post
She made MSN's mainpage!!! Under the MSN Now section.

http://now.msn.com/money/04...-restores-fiero.aspx

[This message has been edited by johnyrottin (edited 04-18-2012).]

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-18-2012 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mrfiero:
OK......but the first sentence says "It's been two years since 14-year-old Kathryn started restoring an '88 Pontiac Fiero".

It's just odd that they would get that wrong.....I mean the PFF thread about it says it's an '86 and even has a picture of it too. I guess lazy journalism irritates me.

Nice to see this story making the rounds though......the more people reading about it the better!

Well I never said the "journalist" who wrote the story wasn't lazy and did an impeccable job at the research. The number of spelling and grammar mistakes I see "journalists" making on stories posted on web sites you'd think should be respectable, is just ridiculous.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2012 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Houston, we've gone viral!

If this hits Fark, Cliff's servers will spontaneously combust.
PFF
System Bot
mrfred8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2012 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

Houston, we've gone viral!

If this hits Fark, Cliff's servers will spontaneously combust.

It has already hit digg. Pretty crazy all this from one email to Jalopnik about the thread. Cliff should add a couple of more ads while traffic is so high, help pay the bills.

------------------
--Jeff aka mrfred8
88 Yellow GT

[This message has been edited by mrfred8 (edited 04-18-2012).]

michhiker28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2012 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for michhiker28Send a Private Message to michhiker28Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Synthesis:

So how does it feel to be famous all of a sudden? Bet the kids at school are going to be talking about this for a long time to come.

For those of you that have talked with Kathryn, you'll know that what she has been freaking out about the most, is the kids at school...lol!

-MH
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2012 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by kathryn:

-kathryn

You're going viral!
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2012 03:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
I saw a link to it on The Wall Street Journal's "topic" page.
Vernon8360

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2012 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Vernon8360Send a Private Message to Vernon8360Direct Link to This Post
And we all can say that we met her BEFORE she was famous. When I'm interviewed I going to tell them how her posts on The Forum haven't changed one bit. However, I did hear she's considering raising her baby sitting fees to fund her Fiero habit.
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2012 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockDirect Link to This Post
Too bad I can't see how many visitors were here yesterday at the same time. The "number of visitors" on the main forum page only counts the people that visit that same main page. And because all people were directly linked to Kathryn's thread, they weren't counted as "online".

So for now the record of max visitors online is still 233 (while yesterday probably a few thousand were here at the same time), but I've changed it so that now it also counts people who only visit a thread.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-19-2012 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cliff Pennock:
Too bad I can't see how many visitors were here yesterday at the same time. The "number of visitors" on the main forum page only counts the people that visit that same main page. And because all people were directly linked to Kathryn's thread, they weren't counted as "online".

You don't have server logs with some analysis tool like analog or anything?
Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2012 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
There are currently 246 users browsing the forum (54 members, 192 visitors).

192 Visitors... I'd bet 190 of those are here for Kathryn's thread.
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2012 03:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockDirect Link to This Post

You don't have server logs with some analysis tool like analog or anything?

Actually, I thought of that yesterday - to run the member count program on my logs. It takes only a small adjustment to the program.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock