DC Plasma got its first speeding ticket, 155mph by dcplasma
Started on: 03-25-2012 01:59 AM
Replies: 39
Last post by: dcplasma on 03-30-2012 11:00 PM
dcplasma

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2012 01:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dcplasmaClick Here to visit dcplasma's HomePageSend a Private Message to dcplasmaDirect Link to This Post
For the folks that couldn't make the Texas Mile in Beeville. You missed the jet engine sounding DC Plasma Run that is sure to set the EV world talkin.

Ok, we set the power down to 1/2 so we wouldn't build too much heat, but we still pulled off an impressive 134mph in the 1/2 mile and 155mph in the 1 mile.

Here is a video taken by pit crew member Mikie Dunn from mid track. Thanks, Mike. Listen to the turbine sound going down the track at 100mph.

[This message has been edited by dcplasma (edited 04-21-2012).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
dcplasma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2012 03:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dcplasmaClick Here to visit dcplasma's HomePageSend a Private Message to dcplasmaDirect Link to This Post
This is what the speeding ticket looks like at the Texas Mile.....
First speed is your half mile, second speed is your 1 mile speed.

[This message has been edited by dcplasma (edited 03-26-2012).]

Silentassassin185

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2012 03:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Silentassassin185Send a Private Message to Silentassassin185Direct Link to This Post
Sweeeeet. How was it at 155? Any shakes or instability?
twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2012 03:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

Simply amazing.

Can I have it?

Brad
dcplasma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2012 04:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dcplasmaClick Here to visit dcplasma's HomePageSend a Private Message to dcplasmaDirect Link to This Post
Here is the first video of the run. Listen at second 44 through 55 the jet engine sound of the motors/tires.

There was no instability until the steel wire I had added to help hold down my norms fiberglass hood with gave way and the hood started to shake on the right side at about 150mph.

But was over after a little bit. When I hit the brakes there was a huge wind that came from the back of the car and knocked all kinds of fiberglass and debris, like the glass from when I had to remove the rear window to put in the roll bar up into the car. Aggh, hot too, it was about 85 plus FR3 clothing, helmet, gloves, waiting in line for two hours, white airstrip concrete bouncing it all back up in our face, sun burns all over, but fun as hell, I wish you could have been there. Fiero Fanatics are awesome. You have something special here on this website.

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2012 04:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
When you run the 1/4 mile--what is your 0-60- time?

How far is Beeville from Victoria/Goliad area?

Great run--looks awesome and yeah, I've already seen today's Texas Mile Fiero being talked about other places on the web--EV and "regular" car sites.
dcplasma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2012 04:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dcplasmaClick Here to visit dcplasma's HomePageSend a Private Message to dcplasmaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:
When you run the 1/4 mile--what is your 0-60- time?

0-60 calculated by Wallace Racing Calculators is 2.3 seconds.
dcplasma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2012 04:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dcplasmaClick Here to visit dcplasma's HomePageSend a Private Message to dcplasmaDirect Link to This Post

dcplasma

90 posts
Member since Apr 2011

Originally posted by maryjane:
How far is Beeville from Victoria/Goliad area?

Oh , it is like less than an hour. Next time. We are done with one mile runs until October. (Even though there is another event called aeros and autos in Houston, Ellington Field coming up we may go show the car there though.

Metric

[This message has been edited by dcplasma (edited 03-25-2012).]

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2012 06:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2012 08:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
this is cool you are doing a great service for the EV by showing they can be fast & quick not slow & poky like most think

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 03-25-2012).]

Justinbart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2012 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartDirect Link to This Post
That's moving! Congrats!

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 5spd spec5
11.54@132.7

PFF
System Bot
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2012 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
Congrats!

Were the batteries spent at the end, or were they able to get you back to the pits.
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2012 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
Great work!

Any more pictures of the car? Are you more focused on the 1/4 mile or 1 mile events now?

What have you done in terms of aerodynamics? I don't think the Fieros were ever designed for 150mph + speeds.. it would likely benefit from some aero mods.
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2012 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by doublec4:

Great work!

Any more pictures of the car? Are you more focused on the 1/4 mile or 1 mile events now?

What have you done in terms of aerodynamics? I don't think the Fieros were ever designed for 150mph + speeds.. it would likely benefit from some aero mods.

The front half of the car has been greatly improved in that department. I'm jealous.

------------------
11.54@132.7

Pete Matos

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2012 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosDirect Link to This Post
DC.... Nicely done man.... That electric fantastic was really flyin'!! I am sure you will be able to crank out even more speed from that setup as you progress with the evolution of this sweet project. I wish you the best and congrats on the official speed run... peace

Pete
dcplasma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2012 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dcplasmaClick Here to visit dcplasma's HomePageSend a Private Message to dcplasmaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:
Were the batteries spent at the end, or were they able to get you back to the pits.

Thanks, I let them cool down and took some water. But then drove about 2 miles around the airport back to the pits back at the front of the airstrip.

------------------
DC Plasma
900 Battery HP 1.551 6.321 112mph 9.898 134.4mph
http://www.youtube.com/dcplasmaracing/

dcplasma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2012 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dcplasmaClick Here to visit dcplasma's HomePageSend a Private Message to dcplasmaDirect Link to This Post

dcplasma

90 posts
Member since Apr 2011

Originally posted by Pete Matos:

DC.... Nicely done man.... That electric fantastic was really flyin'!! I am sure you will be able to crank out even more speed from that setup as you progress with the evolution of this sweet project. I wish you the best and congrats on the official speed run... peace

Pete

Here is a run chart showing the overdrive shift I did way too early. We changed to a 2.73 gear for this run and shifted at about 100mph, I should have waited a little longer. We still have top end available. And this was only at half power. We normally can do 2500 battery amps, I limited here to save heat to 1200 battery amps max.

------------------
DC Plasma

dcplasma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2012 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dcplasmaClick Here to visit dcplasma's HomePageSend a Private Message to dcplasmaDirect Link to This Post

dcplasma

90 posts
Member since Apr 2011
Here is the in car ride along video. 155mph top speed, Beeville TX March 24th 2012.
First Electric Car to run the Texas Mile that aims to have a minumum speed of 140mph and the lowest club is 160mph.
I missed the 160mph club by 5mph.

------------------
DC Plasma
Top Speed 155mph in Standing One Mile

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2012 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
I'm impressed! I hope you drag race against one of those Tesla.
dcplasma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2012 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dcplasmaClick Here to visit dcplasma's HomePageSend a Private Message to dcplasmaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by doublec4:

Here are some pictures from that day, they are also on my facebook page. The Norm's Fiberglass hood, saved a hundred pounds and looks good doing it. I have to work a little on how I have it braced for the wind at the pins at the corners. One of the pins came out at 150mph, not good. I lost the little black trim piece there. So I have it blacked out with some black duct tape.

Here we are in tech inspection.

Here we are in the pits.

Here we are waiting in line with about a 100 nice 500+ horsepower cars.

------------------
DC Plasma

doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2012 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
Nice to see you covered up that front opening for a high speed run. That alone can get you an extra mph or two at those speeds. It is amazing how the aerodynamic forces working against you exponentially increase.
PFF
System Bot
dcplasma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2012 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dcplasmaClick Here to visit dcplasma's HomePageSend a Private Message to dcplasmaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Silentassassin185:
Sweeeeet. How was it at 155? Any shakes or instability?

There wasn't any problem with alignment or springs or shakes that I could feel. Of course I was running 26.6" tall 10" wide tires on the rear and 25.7" tall on the front. The car felt really good.
Try the in car video down below. You can hear a little noise when we started braking. There was about a 2" elevation change they tried to flatten out right after the run where they transitioned to a private runway. It was like a ramp though and a couple people wiped out their bikes there at 180+mph. The wire I had added to keep the hood down as an extra measure broke and started flopping up and down. I will have to bolt it down next time.

I have had problems above 110mph with the original 84 front end. But since I changed to the Norm's Fiberglass front end, the car really sits down at speed. You can see I added a plastic wind screen on the lower radiator port.

When we started braking, it was if someone put a huge fan behind the car and was blowing all sorts of dust and fiberglass and trash up into the car from the rear. I have it nearly completely welded up but the air found its way in some how. That I was not expecting.

Metric

------------------
DC Plasma

dcplasma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2012 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dcplasmaClick Here to visit dcplasma's HomePageSend a Private Message to dcplasmaDirect Link to This Post

dcplasma

90 posts
Member since Apr 2011

mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2012 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
Awesome stuff!
dcplasma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2012 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dcplasmaClick Here to visit dcplasma's HomePageSend a Private Message to dcplasmaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:
I'm impressed! I hope you drag race against one of those Tesla.

None of them would race me... But I did race an Electric Delorean once. I think I ran a 7 second 1/8th mile and hit brakes hard and let him get about right up with me in the 1/4 and crossed the 1/4 just in front of him.

------------------
DC Plasma

Gokart Mozart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2012 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post

@ :30 woman asks if you have a fire extinguisher. You passed tech inspection. The fire rumor lives.

may I suggest a new helmet: http://www.saferacer.com/au...r/?cat=52&tagarray=6

[This message has been edited by Gokart Mozart (edited 03-25-2012).]

dcplasma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2012 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dcplasmaClick Here to visit dcplasma's HomePageSend a Private Message to dcplasmaDirect Link to This Post
What's wrong with my helmet?
normsf

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2012 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for normsfClick Here to visit normsf's HomePageSend a Private Message to normsfDirect Link to This Post
Hello John, great job! How many runs were you able to do, and what did you do to improve on each run. Thanks again Norm
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2012 01:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dcplasma:

None of them would race me... But I did race an Electric Delorean once. I think I ran a 7 second 1/8th mile and hit brakes hard and let him get about right up with me in the 1/4 and crossed the 1/4 just in front of him.

Is there a specific reason why the Tesla group won't race you? I'm assuming it's because your Fiero is faster and cost a whole lot less? Either way, what was the Tesla run compared to the DCPlasma Fiero?
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2012 01:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post
Good runs....Good to see the Fiero putting it down....

Jefrysuko

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2012 01:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoDirect Link to This Post

What's wrong with my helmet?

I think he was suggesting an upgrade to one which you could connect to a ventilation source and provide yourself some air to keep yourself cool.

Great run! Way to go representing both Fieros and electric cars!
PFF
System Bot
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2012 05:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
I would add some hood pins, pull out the original safety catches and install them in each corner. You wont have to worry about the hood after that.
I also cut up the underside of an old hood and bonded it to the bottom of my Norms hood and it really helped with the flexing.

Good job on the run!
mike-ohio

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2012 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mike-ohioClick Here to visit mike-ohio's HomePageSend a Private Message to mike-ohioDirect Link to This Post
Wow!

Incredible run.

Just a suggestion to help stay cool.

Sunroof shade!
California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2012 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidDirect Link to This Post
Nice Job at the Texas Mile !
dcplasma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2012 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dcplasmaClick Here to visit dcplasma's HomePageSend a Private Message to dcplasmaDirect Link to This Post
Sorry for the shameless plug...
Fastest stock chassis EV Conversion 1/4 mile MPH at 134.42mph and Fastest one mile at 155mph. Got to shout it out while it is still true.

------------------
DC Plasma

dcplasma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2012 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dcplasmaClick Here to visit dcplasma's HomePageSend a Private Message to dcplasmaDirect Link to This Post

dcplasma

90 posts
Member since Apr 2011

Originally posted by normsf:
Hello John, great job! How many runs were you able to do, and what did you do to improve on each run. Thanks again Norm

We did just one run, because we had such a long drive, only one day available and nearly three hours in between runs.

Anyway here is a nice article showing a nice picture of your Fiberglass hood in the lead photo.

Norm's Fiberglass on Yahoo Auto News.

[This message has been edited by dcplasma (edited 06-19-2012).]

Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2012 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartDirect Link to This Post

We did just one run, because we had such a long drive, only one day available and nearly three hours i nbetween runs.

Anyway here is a nice article showing a nice picture of your Fiberglass hood in the lead photo.

Norm's Fiberglass on Yahoo Auto News.

If Obama had a brother, he would look just like this guy.

I lol'd

------------------
11.54@132.7

[This message has been edited by Justinbart (edited 03-26-2012).]

dcplasma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2012 12:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dcplasmaClick Here to visit dcplasma's HomePageSend a Private Message to dcplasmaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gokart Mozart:
may I suggest a new helmet: http://www.saferacer.com/au...r/?cat=52&tagarray=6

You're recommending a pumper helmet. I already wear a pumper helmet because I thought I might need it in Texas (and it was on sale), but I haven't figured out how to plumb it in to a safe spot.
JRP3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2012 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JRP3Click Here to visit JRP3's HomePageSend a Private Message to JRP3Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:
Is there a specific reason why the Tesla group won't race you? I'm assuming it's because your Fiero is faster and cost a whole lot less? Either way, what was the Tesla run compared to the DCPlasma Fiero?
Tesla Roadsters usually run around 12.50+ in the 1/4, though one did around 11 something I think, probably a Roadster Sport.

dcplasma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2012 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dcplasmaClick Here to visit dcplasma's HomePageSend a Private Message to dcplasmaDirect Link to This Post
here is a video of me running 1.61 60ft and 6sec 1/8th mile with a Tesla right behind me. Big difference.

------------------
DC Plasma

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay