Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Indy Pace car should I restore it or Part it ??? (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Indy Pace car should I restore it or Part it ??? by polcatdoo
Started on: 02-16-2012 09:00 AM
Replies: 51
Last post by: carbon on 03-19-2012 11:31 AM
polcatdoo

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2012 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for polcatdooSend a Private Message to polcatdooDirect Link to This Post
First off I have always loved the fiero bought my first car in 1984 and it was a white fiero!! always wanted a fiero indy pace car and was going to restore or buy one some day then one day I ran intoo a guy who was driving a pace car daily for years and he was selling it!! I am in a delema at this point I just dont know if I have the time to take on another project I just finished a 75 Trans am and I am in the middle of doing a Solstice I found wrecked... the car runs and drives and is all original but dirty and pretty much wore out needs a refresh it could be dolled up to make a driver but it would be tuff to make a show car out of it.... now me dilema I would like some space in my garage and the solstice and trans am are my priority right now ... should I part it sell as whole or hold onto it?? If I sell one of my other cars I am kicking around the ideal of just buying a nice fiero indy... Thanks Robert
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Xuin39

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2012 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Xuin39Send a Private Message to Xuin39Direct Link to This Post
Don't kill it

How much rust?
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2012 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Direct Link to This Post
Sell it whole, if possible.
Xuin39

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2012 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Xuin39Send a Private Message to Xuin39Direct Link to This Post
You said it drives. Someone might be willing to put some time into it and get a fun daily driver. What did you pay for it?
ARKaiser

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2012 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ARKaiserSend a Private Message to ARKaiserDirect Link to This Post
I am going to do you a favor. Since this is such a heavy burden for you to carry I am willing to take the car off your hands. Just deliver it here to me in Lansing and you will not have to be weighed down with all of the stress. I know I shouldn't do this but I just can't stand by and let you suffer any more.

You don't have to thank me. Just knowing I have helped a fellow Fiero lover is enough.
Xuin39

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2012 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Xuin39Send a Private Message to Xuin39Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by ARKaiser:

I am going to do you a favor. Since this is such a heavy burden for you to carry I am willing to take the car off your hands. Just deliver it here to me in Lansing and you will not have to be weighed down with all of the stress. I know I shouldn't do this but I just can't stand by and let you suffer any more.

You don't have to thank me. Just knowing I have helped a fellow Fiero lover is enough.

One better, I'll pick it up. I couldn't let either of you suffer
Vernon8360

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2012 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Vernon8360Send a Private Message to Vernon8360Direct Link to This Post
Trade it for some punctuation.
joshh44

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2012 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joshh44Send a Private Message to joshh44Direct Link to This Post
you could buy another fiero and swap the body panels and interior. then you can use the frame as a parts car.
but then its not a "real" Indy.

I would love to buy an indy fiero. maybe one day i will find one close by
jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2012 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Direct Link to This Post
Save it! its as rare as a blonde supermodel in line at the old country buffet for 3 helpings!
84se2m4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2012 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84se2m4Send a Private Message to 84se2m4Direct Link to This Post
pull the vin tags and all stickers and transfer to a new frame then go from there.
Carcenomy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2012 12:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarcenomyClick Here to visit Carcenomy's HomePageSend a Private Message to CarcenomyDirect Link to This Post
Settle down guys, I didn't see the guy mentioning rusty frame... it could be in better condition than you're thinking.

------------------

PFF
System Bot
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2012 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post
If you want a zero rust pace car with 48k miles contact me!!!! Also, post some pics of it so we get a better idea of the condition.

[This message has been edited by johnyrottin (edited 02-17-2012).]

infinitewill

Feedback score:    (55)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2012 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Vernon8360:

Now that is funny
DLCLK87GT

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2012 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTDirect Link to This Post
If the frame rails, trunk and floors aren’t rusted/rotted then definitely don't part it out, that would be stupid. And if you don’t think you have time for it then why even buy it…not that it ever stopped me! LOL
polcatdoo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2012 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for polcatdooSend a Private Message to polcatdooDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Vernon8360:

WOW you must be real smart! I think I think I will listen to everything you got to say to me...
polcatdoo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2012 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for polcatdooSend a Private Message to polcatdooDirect Link to This Post

polcatdoo

29 posts
Member since Feb 2012

Originally posted by Xuin39:

You said it drives. Someone might be willing to put some time into it and get a fun daily driver. What did you pay for it?

The guy was driving it daily when I bought it and thats kinda what I was planning on doing but I have too many summer cars and bikes .... if Fiero's drove better in the snow I would make it a winter car!
gtxbullet

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2012 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtxbulletSend a Private Message to gtxbulletDirect Link to This Post
DON'T PART IT OUT!!!!!

I have seen too many Indy Fiero's Parted out, scrapped, or worse....sitting in a barn or garage for years with an owner who wont take any less than a bar of gold for it. and it never sells...rots through, and everything in/on it breaks down.

FIX IT, or sell it to someone who will FIX IT.

ThatFieroKid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2012 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThatFieroKidSend a Private Message to ThatFieroKidDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by polcatdoo:

The guy was driving it daily when I bought it and thats kinda what I was planning on doing but I have too many summer cars and bikes .... if Fiero's drove better in the snow I would make it a winter car!

I'm not sure you realize just how rare Indys are. They only made 2000 replicas and less than half are estimated to still exist. Parts are becoming very scarce and whole cars in good condition are very few and far between. That car may not have much monetary value but to this community they are priceless. The salt in Michigan will eat that car alive just as it has to countless others. Please do the right thing and either keep it as a fair weather car or sell it to someone who will take care of it. I'm sure you could find a grateful person right here on this forum who would treat the car with the respect it deserves. Too many Fieros have already been crushed, parted out, or sent to pick n pulls already. Please don't add one of the rarest Fieros of them all to the list.

SuperchargedV6

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2012 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SuperchargedV6Send a Private Message to SuperchargedV6Direct Link to This Post
If you can please let me know the last numbers of the vin and I can tell you the build order and if it was at the Indy track for the race. Thanks,,Rick B

Owner www.FieroPaceCar.com
jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2012 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Direct Link to This Post

So the big question how much do you want for it??
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2012 04:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post
Yes, price and pictures...that would be a great start.
PFF
System Bot
solotwo

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2012 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoDirect Link to This Post

What? Fieros are ok in the snow. Dude you gotta learn how to drive or something. I have been driving my 88 as a daily driver since winter 2001-2002.

Steve W.
NE Grand Rapids, Michigan
88 Coupe
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2012 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by solotwo:

What? Fieros are ok in the snow. Dude you gotta learn how to drive or something. I have been driving my 88 as a daily driver since winter 2001-2002.

Steve W.
NE Grand Rapids, Michigan
88 Coupe

Depends on the tires, how deep the snow is, and how bad the hills in your area are. I used to drive mine in Houghton.
polcatdoo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2012 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for polcatdooSend a Private Message to polcatdooDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by johnyrottin:

Yes, price and pictures...that would be a great start.

I am going to pull it out of the garage the next nice day and take a couple pics of it... but then again it may be April around here before we get a nice day!

does anyone have a pricing scale for indy cars? from restorable projects up to show cars??
DLCLK87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2012 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTDirect Link to This Post

does anyone have a pricing scale for indy cars? from restorable projects up to show cars??

That’s a very hard question to answer without knowing the condition of the car. Pictures would be a good start. Also need to know the condition of the frame/floor/trunk as far as rust/rot. I’d say post up some overall pictures, and then some detail pixs of the trunk sides under the carpet, interior, emblems, rims etc etc. Then those that know more about the Indys should be able to give you a ballpark figure.

Edit to add; I've seen parts cars go for a couple hundred and a few on ebay that were low milage originals up around 7 or 8k. All depends on what you've got and what somebody is willing to pay.

[This message has been edited by DLCLK87GT (edited 02-22-2012).]

FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2012 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post
I purchased my Indy as a restorable project, non running, for $500.

------------------

88 Coupe: 2.0L Turbo 4 Cylinder
84 Indy #64: Restoration Project!

DANGERUS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2012 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DANGERUSSend a Private Message to DANGERUSDirect Link to This Post
Part it or restore it? You forgot the third option; donate it to me!!!
redraif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2012 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for redraifSend a Private Message to redraifDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroMaster88:

I purchased my Indy as a restorable project, non running, for $500.

Yeah me too... yours was a way better starting point then mine... LOL! Only thing going for mine is that it is a southern car & rust free. The rest was fubar! But its running and I'm enjoying it!

Save the indy! Even though I could use the parts... LOL!

------------------
1984 Indy Fiero SE Pace Car Replica #770
"SE" Stormtrooper Edition
Rescued, resuscitated and reversibly modified! (I'm so not done yet!)

Poly all round & Black Drag DR-34s
Frt: 225/45 on 18x8 (47 offset w/ 8-9mm spacer) 1.5 coils cut off 1984 WS6 springs
Rear: 265/35 on 18x8.5 (45 offset) Coil-overs w/ 10 inch 300lb springs & 7 inch sleeve

Everything is the previous owners fault!

polcatdoo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2012 08:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for polcatdooSend a Private Message to polcatdooDirect Link to This Post
IS it worth more to part it out?? sooo lets see what the parts are worth.....whats the engine and auto trans worth? engine runs and the trans shifts fine over 100k miles?? white pace car wheels in good shape $ Indy steering wheel & shifter? dirty but complete indy interior with indy floor mats? front and rear indy facsias rocker trim and indy spoiler?? indy emblems? I can crush the remainder of the car for about $100 - $150 Scrap metal yard about 2 miles from my house... go there quite often not that I want to scrap it I just dont know what all the parts are worth..
redraif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2012 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for redraifSend a Private Message to redraifDirect Link to This Post
Parts are worth what people are willing to pay. Alot of that is based on part condition and demand. Alot of the 84 parts are 84 specific as well. If i want door skins i have to use 84 door skins. Pretty much indy door skins. Dont think any other 84s got the gfx. I think the 84 rockers are indy specific too. Selling them is just getting lucky and finding someone that needs them. The biggest thing is shipping that kills deals. I was probably stupid to attempt a restore on mine. That is why it looks like it does. I have to be Laurent to gather parts if I ever hope to restore it. I keep missing the boat on parts. I would take even take used rough stuff just to have it. The dash in mine is cracked... the steering wheel and arms rests are worn through the color. Most of my bezels were cracked or scratched. I don't have the hole plugs for the arm rests. All my light grey stuff had turned yellow. No floor mats. Seat covers ripped and burn with cigarettes... all the black pieces had turned chalky grey. Gauge cluster is cracked on he back pieces, gauges don't work, plexi is ghosted, no shift knob, engine valve cover and air tract indy graphics were ruined. Sun roof track rattles... oh and mine had been sitting for 10 years due to a dead slave cylinder... so it needed a new clutch and slave and master.... then the whole braking system was shot. Rebuilt that.... body had a broken spoiler, side mirrors, rockers, missing decals and emblems.... ugh... so if you are running you are ahead of me...

These cars are become more and more rare.
I can see if it gets smashed and the frame twisted or something... or fire... or flood.... but
If the car runs I would not scrap it. Give someone a chance who might want to take on a restoration.

But if you decide to part it out... take everything unless its broken... someone will need it. Im having a heck of a time finding the light grey a pillars for the driver side.... or the seat belt retainer on the lower seat.

[This message has been edited by redraif (edited 02-23-2012).]

FieroG97J

Feedback score:    (31)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2012 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroG97JSend a Private Message to FieroG97JDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by redraif:

Parts are worth what people are willing to pay. Alot of that is based on part condition and demand. Alot of the 84 parts are 84 specific as well. If i want door skins i have to use 84 door skins. Pretty much indy door skins. Dont think any other 84s got the gfx. I think the 84 rockers are indy specific too. Selling them is just getting lucky and finding someone that needs them. The biggest thing is shipping that kills deals. I was probably stupid to attempt a restore on mine. That is why it looks like it does. I have to be Laurent to gather parts if I ever hope to restore it. I keep missing the boat on parts. I would take even take used rough stuff just to have it. The dash in mine is cracked... the steering wheel and arms rests are worn through the color. Most of my bezels were cracked or scratched. I don't have the hole plugs for the arm rests. All my light grey stuff had turned yellow. No floor mats. Seat covers ripped and burn with cigarettes... all the black pieces had turned chalky grey. Gauge cluster is cracked on he back pieces, gauges don't work, plexi is ghosted, no shift knob, engine valve cover and air tract indy graphics were ruined. Sun roof track rattles... oh and mine had been sitting for 10 years due to a dead slave cylinder... so it needed a new clutch and slave and master.... then the whole braking system was shot. Rebuilt that.... body had a broken spoiler, side mirrors, rockers, missing decals and emblems.... ugh... so if you are running you are ahead of me...

These cars are become more and more rare.
I can see if it gets smashed and the frame twisted or something... or fire... or flood.... but
If the car runs I would not scrap it. Give someone a chance who might want to take on a restoration.

But if you decide to part it out... take everything unless its broken... someone will need it. Im having a heck of a time finding the light grey a pillars for the driver side.... or the seat belt retainer on the lower seat.

I am thinking that all the light gray interior parts like the seat belts and the door trim are the same as all other gray 84's
PFF
System Bot
redraif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2012 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for redraifSend a Private Message to redraifDirect Link to This Post
Yep. Bu they are 84 & 85 only. Getting mint usable versions can be tough
DLCLK87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2012 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTDirect Link to This Post
only part it out if it's not worth restoring -rust-rot-smashed up. Sell as a whole car. You might get more cash by piecing/parting it out but you also have to figure your time that it takes to take it all apart, advertise, sell, ship, store unsold parts, etc etc. You said before you didn't have time for another project, parting out a car can be a big project in itself. just my .02
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2012 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post
If you part it I could use a good decklid. Someone smashed the lock out of mine and damaged it pretty bad. I could also use some good headlight motors.
ThatFieroKid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2012 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThatFieroKidSend a Private Message to ThatFieroKidDirect Link to This Post
Please don't part it out. If the frame is good sell it whole.
polcatdoo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2012 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for polcatdooSend a Private Message to polcatdooDirect Link to This Post
I wish I could post pictures but this forum must not allow pics
redraif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2012 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for redraifSend a Private Message to redraifDirect Link to This Post

I wish I could post pictures but this forum must not allow pics

Pics are allowed... you can link to pics hosted elsewhere by using the [img] brackets like other forums. I host off Cardomain, photobucket, motortopia. There is also a photo hosting program many use here. PIP..i cant remember the full name. Maybe some will chime in.... I can upload it at work, so I don't use it but it works and the images are hosted here. Pics never disappear like with other hosts. Search and there should be a link to the program.

polcatdoo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2012 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for polcatdooSend a Private Message to polcatdooDirect Link to This Post
I think I figured it out!

[This message has been edited by polcatdoo (edited 02-24-2012).]

polcatdoo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2012 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for polcatdooSend a Private Message to polcatdooDirect Link to This Post

polcatdoo

29 posts
Member since Feb 2012
another one
polcatdoo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2012 09:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for polcatdooSend a Private Message to polcatdooDirect Link to This Post

polcatdoo

29 posts
Member since Feb 2012
interior

http://i530.photobucket.com...richmond/indyint.jpg

[This message has been edited by polcatdoo (edited 02-24-2012).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page