Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  I need Iron Duke inspiration. Show me your Duke.

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

I need Iron Duke inspiration. Show me your Duke. by Curlrup
Started on: 07-23-2011 10:48 PM
Replies: 37
Last post by: 2.5 on 12-07-2012 10:43 AM
Curlrup

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2011 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CurlrupSend a Private Message to CurlrupDirect Link to This Post
I have one of my 88 Dukes out for a little rebuild. It is getting cleaned and painted up along with the engine bay. I need some inspiration so show my your Duke.

Thanks

Curly
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
pete 2m4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2011 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pete 2m4Send a Private Message to pete 2m4Direct Link to This Post
BlackGT Codde

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2011 01:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackGT CoddeSend a Private Message to BlackGT CoddeDirect Link to This Post
umm you dont wanna see mine... ill get pics tomorrow, if you really want to see
Carcenomy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2011 02:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarcenomyClick Here to visit Carcenomy's HomePageSend a Private Message to CarcenomyDirect Link to This Post

Looks alright, but it's no Indy style Duke with the gorgeous stripes and silver...
1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2011 08:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroDirect Link to This Post
Here are some pictures of an 84 I rebuilt several years ago.

Good pictures in the engine bay are tough to get.

------------------

TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2011 08:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchDirect Link to This Post
88 duke with SD4 valve cover. I'm currently re-building this engine.

[This message has been edited by TopNotch (edited 07-24-2011).]

Ruffy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2011 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RuffySend a Private Message to RuffyDirect Link to This Post
Very nice 1Mo! That is a very clean build. Heck I would love to learn more about the 4cyl in fieros. Is the iron Duke the only 4 they put in them? If not info on that please. Also I know they are really weak with power but all 4cyl NA are. What can one put out with a possible Turbo upgrade? If they can get them Honda junkers pushing 500 HP I'm sure the Duke could to.
Curlrup

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2011 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CurlrupSend a Private Message to CurlrupDirect Link to This Post
Nice keep em coming. They look so nice all painted up and clean! The one I am rebuilding had an oil leak at sometime so it is a greasy pig. Can't wait to get it cleaned up.
Joe 1320

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2011 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe 1320Click Here to visit Joe 1320's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe 1320Direct Link to This Post

200K miles now. It's time for a rebuild though.

------------------
84 2.5
87 328 GTB replica
87 Coutach replica

[This message has been edited by Joe 1320 (edited 07-24-2011).]

Rallaster

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2011 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterDirect Link to This Post

It was a fresh build going in the car and it now has 1,300-ish miles on it.

I don't have any of it in the engine bay, I'll have to get some soon...

[This message has been edited by Rallaster (edited 07-24-2011).]

TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2011 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Ruffy:

Very nice 1Mo! That is a very clean build. Heck I would love to learn more about the 4cyl in fieros. Is the iron Duke the only 4 they put in them? If not info on that please. Also I know they are really weak with power but all 4cyl NA are. What can one put out with a possible Turbo upgrade? If they can get them Honda junkers pushing 500 HP I'm sure the Duke could to.

A duke would disintegrate long before 500 HP. But Pontiac built a racing version of the version of the engine (super duty 4) -- essentially the same engine, but built with everything (crank, block, pistons, rods) stronger. Those could push 400 HP NA.
The duke or SD4 (for racing Fieros) was the only 4 that Pontiac put in Fieros. But folks here have put other ones in.
Edit: They wanted to put a turbo 4 in the Fiero while it was under development, but, since the idea was sold to GM as a "commuter car", GM wouldn't let them.

[This message has been edited by TopNotch (edited 07-24-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
wolf63

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2011 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wolf63Send a Private Message to wolf63Direct Link to This Post
A_Pegasi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2011 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for A_PegasiSend a Private Message to A_PegasiDirect Link to This Post
A little dusty from sitting in the paint shop, but here's my Tech 4 with a slightly modified air intake.

Best shots I have of it right now since she's not at home.

------------------
A_Pegasi
RCHal486@aol.com

Curlrup

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2011 01:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CurlrupSend a Private Message to CurlrupDirect Link to This Post
Nice I like that intake. What is that?
BlackThunderGT

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2011 01:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackThunderGTSend a Private Message to BlackThunderGTDirect Link to This Post

Curlrup

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2011 08:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CurlrupSend a Private Message to CurlrupDirect Link to This Post
That's a good one.
blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2011 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceDirect Link to This Post
mine...

is running in this...

------------------
<---- did you buy Cliff a beer?

nosrac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2011 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blakeinspace:

mine...

is running in this...

Show off....
Curlrup

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2011 02:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CurlrupSend a Private Message to CurlrupDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blakeinspace:

mine...

is running in this...

That is very nice. Great car.
Curlrup

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2011 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CurlrupSend a Private Message to CurlrupDirect Link to This Post
Any more Dukes out there?
AWDimpreza-L

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2011 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AWDimpreza-LSend a Private Message to AWDimpreza-LDirect Link to This Post

------------------
84 2m4 72 whp 108 wtq, stock.

PFF
System Bot
Fierosmith

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2011 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierosmithSend a Private Message to FierosmithDirect Link to This Post
Here's mine, as you can see it's a work in progress... (also a little dusty because of body prepping that I'm currently doing.)

But with every repair, items are removed cleaned, painted and re-installed.

Still there's lots of cleaning to do but I've just recently replaced all the coolant hoses.
I replaced the gasket at the thermostat housing, it was leaking too.

CAI hose missing due to reworking a transistion connection. The air hose is red.

Finally I added a little fuel pressure gauge, I just recently replaced the 27 year old fuel pump after it finally failed..

Also I just modded/reconditioned the heat shield covering the AC lines. In GMs haste, they didn't realize that the shield was actually rubbing on the metal connection on the AC line.
Hence when the shield rubbed thru the AC line, the compress lost oil and freon, then the compressor locked up. Well that won't happen due to that issue again.

Jim
GADJet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2011 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GADJetSend a Private Message to GADJetDirect Link to This Post
I have one but its nothing to look at currently. I plan on getting one of those fancy SD-4 valve covers. Heck, I'd really like to get one of those SD-4s.

Anyone got one handy they want to part with? Oh BTW, I like to purchase on the crack head market. (I can afford those) HAHAHA.
larini74

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2011 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for larini74Click Here to visit larini74's HomePageSend a Private Message to larini74Direct Link to This Post
so yer tellin' people to Put up yer dukes?......them's fightin' woids......nyuk nyuk nyuk.....
hammer18

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2011 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hammer18Send a Private Message to hammer18Direct Link to This Post
lol

Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2011 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
Curlrup

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2011 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CurlrupSend a Private Message to CurlrupDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

Say WHAAAA??!?!?! What is that?
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2011 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post

That's back from when I got my car and it only had 27K miles on it.

------------------

88 Coupe: 2.0L Turbo 4 Cylinder
65 Chevrolet Corvair: 110 4 speed project car

mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2011 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Curlrup:

Say WHAAAA??!?!?! What is that?

It's just a 2200 L4 from a Cavalier or the like, very common. I guess you could call it the modern Iron Duke, as they used that engine in many of the smaller chevys like the Cavalier and S10, just like the Iron Duke.
A_Pegasi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2011 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for A_PegasiSend a Private Message to A_PegasiDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Curlrup:

Nice I like that intake. What is that?

The throttle body cover and rubber connector came off an early 90's GM 2.5 ltr 4-cylinder. I think it was a Lumina. It's connected to a stock Fiero V-6 air cannister through a custom tube. The MAP sensor wires also had to be lengthened because the sensor was moved to the other side of the throttle body.

------------------
A_Pegasi
RCHal486@aol.com

Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2011 05:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mattwa:

It's just a 2200 L4 from a Cavalier or the like, very common. I guess you could call it the modern Iron Duke, as they used that engine in many of the smaller chevys like the Cavalier and S10, just like the Iron Duke.

what he said
PFF
System Bot
FieroBerlin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2012 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroBerlinSend a Private Message to FieroBerlinDirect Link to This Post

Wakeup old thread. I'm on the way but not ready. Sorry, for now only handy-pics.

@Curlrup: are you ready with your buildup?
Purple86GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2012 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Purple86GTSend a Private Message to Purple86GTDirect Link to This Post
Before paint...

bkaab

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2012 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bkaabSend a Private Message to bkaabDirect Link to This Post
Don't have it together yet but I have a few parts.

87antuzzi

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 228
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2012 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post
Here is my head. The rest of the duke is not together.

Only took me a year!
CowsPatoot

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2012 03:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootDirect Link to This Post
I wish Pete would have posted a better pic. I think his is the cleanest and most correct duke out there. I used pics of his as reference when I was putting mine back together.

Edit to add: I don't recommend white. It is impossible to keep clean. The only savior is that I powdercoated everything rather than painting it.

[This message has been edited by CowsPatoot (edited 12-07-2012).]

cam-a-lot

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2012 08:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Ruffy:

ummm... I think you may be a bit delusional. There are plenty of NA 4 cyl engines worldwide that provide excellent performance, including Hondas. The duke may have sentimental value but it is a piece of crap in terms of a performance engine. You may as well soup up your lawnmower. A modern honda 4 cyl engine is superior in every way to the 1970's era anemic duke motor that graced grandpa's Chevy Citation. Probably the only mid 80's 4 cyl GM motor that had racing and performance potential went into the turbo Sunbird.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2012 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroBerlin:

@Curlrup: are you ready with your buildup?

Love that!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock