Dual decklid vent scoops? by OneSlowFiero
Started on: 05-23-2011 03:01 AM
Replies: 27
Last post by: rogergarrison on 05-01-2012 08:24 PM
OneSlowFiero

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2011 03:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OneSlowFieroSend a Private Message to OneSlowFieroDirect Link to This Post
So I came across this picture while Google image searching fieros as I often do :-P

In the picture this person appears to have 2 air scoops above the roofline and I can only imagine they screw in to where the decklid vents go. I've been trying to plan out how exactly I plan to mod my fieros appearance and I thought that his would be interesting if in fact that is what is going on here. Perhaps this is a members car. Just wondering if I could get some input. Thanks

http://en.gtwallpaper.com/g...tiac_fiero_gt_05.jpg

[This message has been edited by OneSlowFiero (edited 05-23-2011).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Reallybig

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2011 03:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ReallybigSend a Private Message to ReallybigDirect Link to This Post
Get ahold of Fierosound. He has this setup on his 84 Indy SD. I have seen his car and pictures don't do it justice but he's got a lot of them to look at!
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2011 04:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/056729.html some for sale few weeks ago that were coming up for sale in a few weeks.
So about now.
OneSlowFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2011 04:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OneSlowFieroSend a Private Message to OneSlowFieroDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for your help guys With your info, after a few searches I found they are called fi-air-o scoops. I guess they're only for the notchies and I have a fastback so it looks like they won't work with my car. What confuses me though is one site I found that sells them says they fit all but the 86-88 GTs but they show a picture of them installed on a fastback? Here is the link: http://www.jimmysautomotive....com/accessories.htm

Thanks again for your help!

Edit to add: the fiero in the first link I posted is also a fastback.

[This message has been edited by OneSlowFiero (edited 05-23-2011).]

Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2011 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakDirect Link to This Post
They can attach to fastbacks. They're actually made for notchbacks, but they will work on fastbacks. The issue that arises is that on a fastback the decklid vent is not entirely flat as with a notchback, so there is a potential issue that more work would have to be performed to get them to fit correctly. What people typically do is simply secure them to the decklid vents. There is varying opinions on how well they actually work. Recall that the vents are actually very important in that they allow the air flowing underneath the car to flow through the engine compartment and out the top side of the car. Forcing air in an area that is designed to see air escape is working against the design of the car. However, many that do have these scoops that have ran them report no serious problems with major air flow (i.e., overheating).

You do need to know they can get pricey. The reason why many people say "make an offer" when they attempt to sell them here is because they know how much they can go for. Moderately used ones can easily reach the $200-$300 price range.
OneSlowFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2011 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OneSlowFieroSend a Private Message to OneSlowFieroDirect Link to This Post
Thank you for the info
Perhaps I will wait until I get a notchie to get these. I'm just trying to keep my eyes open for different things I can do to my fiero. I find something new every day haha. Do people who use these to connect to their intake box have any trouble with rain water getting in the filter/engine?
banderson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2012 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bandersonSend a Private Message to bandersonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by OneSlowFiero:

So I came across this picture while Google image searching fieros as I often do :-P

In the picture this person appears to have 2 air scoops above the roofline and I can only imagine they screw in to where the decklid vents go. I've been trying to plan out how exactly I plan to mod my fieros appearance and I thought that his would be interesting if in fact that is what is going on here. Perhaps this is a members car. Just wondering if I could get some input. Thanks

http://en.gtwallpaper.com/g...tiac_fiero_gt_05.jpg

I was just wondering if the sunroof still works??

------------------
04 Monte Carlo- unfortunately LS 3.4
95 Bonneville SSEi- Series 1- 3.8 Supercharged
85 Fiero GT 4 speed muncie 2.8 Restoring Now
83 Chevy Silverado K-10 - 305- Plow Truck
67 Chevy C-10 Custom Pickup- 3 on the tree 283- Fully Restored
Fiance hates um all except the Monte- of course..
Mechanic at Karl's Chevrolet in Ankeny, Iowa

canfirst

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2012 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for canfirstSend a Private Message to canfirstDirect Link to This Post
I recently purchased an 88 Fiero GT with T-tops that has the Fi-Air-O over the roof air scoops. Four holes were drilled through each decklid vent and the air scoop bolts (one in each of the four corners) passed through the decklid vent with large washers and 1/4" bolt couplers (long type nuts for joining two bolts together) to anchor them in place. Only three of the bolts on each scoop were actually fastened in place. A couple of the mounting bolts had large washers and wing nuts which were easier to remove.

The roof scoops were very difficult to remove as they had to be unbolted from the decklid vents before the decklid vents could be removed. It was a real PITA to reach under the decklid vents to remove the 1/4" bolt couplers, so I will change all the bolt couplers (nuts) to wing nuts which will make it easier to remove the roof scoops from the decklid vents and again only use three of the bolts to fasten the roof scoop to the decklid vent.

I hope this helps to shed a little more light on the subject. Good luck with the search and mods to your Fiero!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...08569#ht_1897wt_1064

------------------
Now new owner of a Black TTop 88 Fiero GT and owner of a Silver 88 Fiero GT. Also a second time owner of an 85 Fiero GT. Bought my first fully loaded Red Fiero GT new in 1985. Fiero's are Fabulous, Fix'em and have Fun! Note, Avatar picture is Mr. Bean (not me, ha ha).

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2012 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
This comes up occasionally. The Fiero is designed so engine compartment is cooled by air coming IN the bottom (underneath) the car, and flowing OUT the top vents. Forcing air in the top only restricts the airflow so engine bay runs hotter. While if its ducted directly into the air intake may make some very minor performance gains, the side intake is very adequate for the 2.8 engine (it wont take any more or any cooler air anyway), and again your restricting the air flowing thru the engine compartment. Blocking the top vents gives hot underhood air no where to go except just to keep heating up the bay.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2012 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

This comes up occasionally. The Fiero is designed so engine compartment is cooled by air coming IN the bottom (underneath) the car, and flowing OUT the top vents. Forcing air in the top only restricts the airflow so engine bay runs hotter. While if its ducted directly into the air intake may make some very minor performance gains, the side intake is very adequate for the 2.8 engine (it wont take any more or any cooler air anyway), and again your restricting the air flowing thru the engine compartment. Blocking the top vents gives hot underhood air no where to go except just to keep heating up the bay.

Agreed. I keep telling people these were designed for the 84's with vent in CENTER of decklid.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2012 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

Agreed. I keep telling people these were designed for the 84's with vent in CENTER of decklid.

My 87 has a center vent

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 04-25-2012).]

PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2012 12:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
You shoulda posted months ago-----I gave away a set of them to a Texas PFFer just to get them out of my way. I had them on one of the Indys for awile, but had the same problem canfist did--they made it a pain to get the covers off. I mounted them on a spare set of 84 covers--not later year vents.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2012 06:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post
I ill back up the 84 only claim as there were not around long back in the day as they do keep the heat in. One could put an 84 deck on a 85 and later if you really want to run them.

Note too adding the air intake to this will really do little to gain anything in power.

Anywone who has driven a 85 and later vent knows how much air and heat comes out the grilles and blocking them would be counter productive.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2012 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
And inversely, when I lived in West Texas, I put 85 vents on my DD 84, since there were no tree leaves to fall into them. Lets even more heat out and didn't (imo) look bad at all. Black louvers, and white honeycomb screen underneath.

But, I know Darkwing (Mike Parker) has had the over the roof scoops on his non 84 for many years, and he lives in arid South central Texas, near San Antonio--well, he just recently moved a bit NE to Tyler Texas, but he has never had a heat issue that I'm aware of.

Darkwing:

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2012 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Its not the engine heat that it causes a problem too. Its ambient under hood engine compartment heat. Causes alternator, distributor and all rubber and plastic parts to fail sooner. Engine bay gets hot enough without trapping all that heated air in it. Could even get hot enough to mess up paint. It would be like taping completely over your house furnace/AC filter and expecting it to work.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2012 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post
Well if you look at the V6 pre 1988 they had the electric blower on the coil and alt to keep them alive. Also most of you that have had moduels die the heat is what did the in.

GM did a lot of work to flow the air throgh to keep the under hood temps down. The Fiero is not like most other cars with a rush of air through a grille to keep things in check. It is suprising that more issues have not come about with the heat, Most mid engine cars int he past have had many heat issues.
canfirst

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2012 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for canfirstSend a Private Message to canfirstDirect Link to This Post
This post got me thinking that it might be possible to reverse the scoops to point rearwards by placing them as close as possible to the back window to provide enough clearance for the decklid to open without hitting the scoops. It could look interesting and might just work. By having the scoop ends pointing backwards above the roof, it could have a venturi effect and draw more air out of the engine compartment. I'll have to give it a try one day, but have more pressing commitments at this time. Will post results when I try it out.
EDIT: Well I just had to give it a try. Forget that hair-brained idea, it dosen't work and it looked goofy!

[This message has been edited by canfirst (edited 04-28-2012).]

pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2012 02:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
They serve no purpose If anything they make the engine bay run hotter.. Thoes vents are ment for heat evacuation not air intake..

plus I dont like them at all.. I have an Indy scoop for my IMSA and hate it but need to keep it as its part of the cars kit..

[This message has been edited by pontiackid86 (edited 04-27-2012).]

pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2012 02:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

pontiackid86

19632 posts
Member since Sep 2008

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

My 87 has a center vent

Lol not everyone can be as lucky as us

------------------

Better to be judged by twelve than carried by six.
(84 IMSA) garage queen
(84 base) big orange firecracker
(06 solstice) my vert Fiero
(00 jeep wrangler) fun in the mud.
The forums Youngest CDL driver

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2012 06:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by canfirst:

This post got me thinking that it might be possible to reverse the scoops to point rearwards by placing them as close as possible to the back window to provide enough clearance for the decklid to open without hitting the scoops. It could look interesting and might just work. By having the scoop ends pointing backwards above the roof, it could have a venturi effect and draw more air out of the engine compartment. I'll have to give it a try one day, but have more pressing commitments at this time. Will post results when I try it out.

Not really any advantage there.

What Gm gave us vents air very good. In years past when it snowed I could watch the air come out and melt the snow on each side of the deck lid and wing. I would have two patch of air coming back doing the work.

The fact is GM did a good job of air managment here to keep under hood temps in check as much as they could. This car would have seen a lot of time in the air tunnel at Detroit to see how to flow the air through the compartment and I expect few of us would improve much upon it.

Note the PPG Pace cars like Fred had a turbo on the. The cars would reach 300 degrees oil temp in traffic. They added electric fans to draw air through the side scoops and then they installed a grille from a Chrysler Lebaron in the center of the deck lid to release the presure and keep the car from having a high pressure area in the rear.

Also note on the PPF car the MSD box and other electronics are in the trunk to protect from the heat.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2012 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Ferrari keeps their mid engine cars engine bay cooler by making the whole decklid cover a vent. 308/328 and 355 are best examples...they have a 4'x4' vent.
PFF
System Bot
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2012 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Ferrari keeps their mid engine cars engine bay cooler by making the whole decklid cover a vent. 308/328 and 355 are best examples...they have a 4'x4' vent.

And Corvairs have a tiny vent across the deck to keep their 6 cylinder (AIR COOLED) engine cool. For the youngsters,, No radiator whatsoever!!

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

Pete Matos

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2012 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosDirect Link to This Post
Personally I honestly think they are kinda hokey looking and take away from the clean lines of the car regardless of whether they work or not. The only over the roof vent that I ever thought looked good and even that was marginal was the center mounted one with the very wide flat scoop on top of the roof and it transitions to the tail rudder like vertical going down into the center vent of the 84 decklid. I am sure some others will disagree with me but I just think they are ricey at best. The fiero has such clean lines just the way it comes and some subtle mods really make it look interesting. I am sure I will get flamed over this but I would only put these on my car if it had some historic value IE an actual indy track car the originally came that way or something like that. Peace

Pete

Stainless1911

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2012 12:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stainless1911Send a Private Message to Stainless1911Direct Link to This Post
Where do you get the stuff to set up those headlights like that?
tbone42

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2012 02:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Screw the scoops...whats up with those tail lights??

[This message has been edited by tbone42 (edited 05-01-2012).]

Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2012 04:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
I have been modifying Toms scoops for the Mr2 i like the look of these most had to chop a bit out of each end and make taller.
Sits further forward now almost 3" from the sunroof since this pic. Still need a bigger decklid vent to make it work right.
What actually makes this scoop so great is you can actually still see out the quarter window from the drivers seat it is curved at the window.

[This message has been edited by Australian (edited 05-01-2012).]

Macs86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2012 07:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Macs86GTSend a Private Message to Macs86GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pete Matos:

Personally I honestly think they are kinda hokey looking and take away from the clean lines of the car regardless of whether they work or not. The only over the roof vent that I ever thought looked good and even that was marginal was the center mounted one with the very wide flat scoop on top of the roof and it transitions to the tail rudder like vertical going down into the center vent of the 84 decklid. I am sure some others will disagree with me but I just think they are ricey at best. The fiero has such clean lines just the way it comes and some subtle mods really make it look interesting. I am sure I will get flamed over this but I would only put these on my car if it had some historic value IE an actual indy track car the originally came that way or something like that. Peace

Pete

I feel the same way.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2012 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spoon:

And Corvairs have a tiny vent across the deck to keep their 6 cylinder (AIR COOLED) engine cool. For the youngsters,, No radiator whatsoever!!

Spoon

And the point ? I dont even think Corvairs are open at the bottom but im not sure. Air cooled is a different game, Im sure designers made it adequate. My plane basicly has a Corvair engine. Its flat 300 hp 6 cyl, air cooled, FI. It only has a couple of 6-8" oval holes in the front to allow air in and none for it to escape yet it works great.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock