Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Source for LED taillights for GT or volunteer? (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
Source for LED taillights for GT or volunteer? by yellowstone
Started on: 06-10-2010 08:32 AM
Replies: 116
Last post by: Australian on 09-20-2012 08:06 AM
yellowstone

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 250
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2010 08:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
Is there any source (I don't know of any) that sells a kit to convert the GT taillight to LED?

If not, is there anybody who's WILLING and ABLE to make one for me? For a reasonable price, obviously. Or, at the very minimum, the electronics for it.

Something like this is what I'm looking for (maybe with the reverse light in LED, too):

It should be plug&play.

[This message has been edited by yellowstone (edited 06-10-2010).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2010 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post
Ooh... I quite like that.
Boogaloo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2010 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoogalooSend a Private Message to BoogalooDirect Link to This Post
What do ypu consider reasonable ?
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2010 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
Since I don't know how much time and money in terms of parts is involved, I'd expect to find out from the person doing the job.

Originally posted by Boogaloo:

What do ypu consider reasonable ?

KissMySSFiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2010 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroDirect Link to This Post
I'll second yellowstone. I want some too.

------------------
SSFiero@Aol.com 87 Gt-5spd-62k miles.

Spaxspore

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2010 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpaxsporeSend a Private Message to SpaxsporeDirect Link to This Post
wow those look great!
Boogaloo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2010 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoogalooSend a Private Message to BoogalooDirect Link to This Post
That particular lens uses 58super bright LED's and 35 for the indicator and that is per light they are easy to make just time consuming and a lot of soldering kinda one of and that runs up the cost .
ConvictedRedneck

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2010 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ConvictedRedneckSend a Private Message to ConvictedRedneckDirect Link to This Post
If he doesn't chime in here, get a hold of sabooo, I believe he has LED tails. Not sure if they were a kit or custom.
lildevil

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2010 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lildevilClick Here to visit lildevil's HomePageSend a Private Message to lildevilDirect Link to This Post
contact these guys....
http://www.spaghettienginee...ersus/store/home.asp

they are making me a set for my notchback. Should be done in 3 weeks. If they make one set its about 1000 dollars but if they can sell 10 or more the price drops to only 300 a set. You'll have to send them a set to play with though.

[This message has been edited by lildevil (edited 06-10-2010).]

fastblack

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2010 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fastblackSend a Private Message to fastblackDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lildevil:

contact these guys....
http://www.spaghettienginee...ersus/store/home.asp

they are making me a set for my notchback. Should be done in 3 weeks. If they make one set its about 1000 dollars but if they can sell 10 or more the price drops to only 300 a set. You'll have to send them a set to play with though.

I don't suppose that price includes GT lenses?? I doubt it, but if it does, that's one heckuva deal!

edit: the $300 price would be a deal...not worth a grand.

[This message has been edited by fastblack (edited 06-10-2010).]

timgray

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2010 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for timgrayClick Here to visit timgray's HomePageSend a Private Message to timgrayDirect Link to This Post
I was betting around $1000.00. That is a lot of work and unless you have a china slave labor factory, you will be paying $28.00 to $40.00 an hour on the cheap side for someone to make a set.

Have you tried any of the 3Watt or 5Watt cree replacement bulbs and painting the reflector bright white? that should even out the light and a 3 Watt with a 130 degree light spread should fill out the reflector and lens...

Far cheaper to try than anything else... It worked great on my motorcycle, and painting the reflector shiny bright white is a old hotrod/biker trick to make the tail light brighter.

------------------

Best RV, Camper, and Trailer dealer in West Michigan. http://www.cliffstrailersales.com and he's a fiero owner too!

[This message has been edited by timgray (edited 06-10-2010).]

PFF
System Bot
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2010 07:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
To make it clearer, this is what I'm thinking about:

Lights off/lights on/braking

Lights on/blinking right

The reverse light could just receive a LED bulb such as this one: http://www.spaghettienginee...tem.asp?idProduct=63
Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2010 07:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
I am no electronic master but i think using strip lights it could be made in couple of hours with electronic knowledge and i estimate the cost of materials to be about $100 all up. I may actually do this mod as it looks very easy.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/e...geName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

It only cost me $5 delivered for 2 x 24cm = 2 x 24 bulbs any color. yellow red white green or blue. That is easy under 100 and use a little led panel for reverse lights also i can find for about $5

[This message has been edited by Australian (edited 06-11-2010).]

sabooo

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2010 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for saboooSend a Private Message to saboooDirect Link to This Post
Golden86 created the ones on my car. He created a thread detailing his work. (EDIT: - I think you've found this already as the photo in your post looks like it came from this thread)

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...070315-2-078206.html

In the dark: (Side markers are TLG)

Hazard /signal flashing:

Signal Off:

------------------

[This message has been edited by sabooo (edited 06-11-2010).]

americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2010 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
im not too much of a fan of LEDs flush against the lens assembly. it has very visible hot spots. it does light up at the correct brightness and is visible from a distance. i need to get off my kiester and do is make a thin fiberglass layer that is practically a drop in that matches the reflectors curvature. mount some LEDs in that so you have lighting that is facing at every angle. just as if it was being lit by a regular bulb. but this way would be much brighter and have the instant on/off like a LED. and no hot spots.

another idea with that is to nite shades the lenses from the inside, then spray on a layer or two of some frosted glass. very interesting and even lighting. hardly any noticeable or none at all hotspots.

------------------
First LX9 Fiero GT, 1987 | My Fiero Fuel Economy | MPG Display for OBD I
Youtube Videos of My GT | modernize your fiero with technology!
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem
Fiero's are people too. We pay just as much attention to them, if not more than our loved ones
screw paying those bastards. im not going to become rich by paying for things.....

1988holleyformula

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2010 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by americasfuture2k:

im not too much of a fan of LEDs flush against the lens assembly. it has very visible hot spots. it does light up at the correct brightness and is visible from a distance. i need to get off my kiester and do is make a thin fiberglass layer that is practically a drop in that matches the reflectors curvature. mount some LEDs in that so you have lighting that is facing at every angle. just as if it was being lit by a regular bulb. but this way would be much brighter and have the instant on/off like a LED. and no hot spots.

another idea with that is to nite shades the lenses from the inside, then spray on a layer or two of some frosted glass. very interesting and even lighting. hardly any noticeable or none at all hotspots.

x2 That's exactly what I was thinking, I'm not a fan of being able to count every LED that is in the taillights. But your idea sounds like it would look sweet.

Carver1

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2010 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post
I played around with notchie lights like that. I used over 100 leds on each side. I have one just about finished. It's ALOT of work! I'll eventually finish it up this summer. I have a spare set of GT lenses I might convert to LEDs. I don't have a car to use them on though.
Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2010 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Carver1:

I played around with notchie lights like that. I used over 100 leds on each side. I have one just about finished. It's ALOT of work! I'll eventually finish it up this summer. I have a spare set of GT lenses I might convert to LEDs. I don't have a car to use them on though.

My LED panels on my Notchie have 576 LEDs per side.... 18 individual segments that can be triggered independently per side for a total of 36. And mine do not have visible "hot spots"...

One set of panels, lit up on the lowest setting my PWM would go...

The driver's side insert, on park light brightness..

Park lights from a distance

Park Lights

carbon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2010 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonDirect Link to This Post
I believe that Golden86 had absolutely no interest in making more either... said it was a big PITA.

A great resource for automotive LED retrofits in general... HIDPlanet's LED Forum

I got this far using Golden86's 10mm LED design as a reference and then changed my mind... I am still doing LEDs but going a totally different route...

I still have these plates for both sides and they fit in behind the sections in the colored lense of the tail light. They are made of plastic and were cut using a laser engraver/cutter. I had to use Corel Draw to make the vector files... its weird, I never would have thought to use that software for this purpose, but I guess vectors is vectors

[This message has been edited by carbon (edited 06-11-2010).]

americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2010 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
this is a lot of really nice work everyone. mine is nice in theory lol.
carbon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2010 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by americasfuture2k:

this is a lot of really nice work everyone. mine is nice in theory lol.

Mine is not much better at this point...
PFF
System Bot
8-P

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2010 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 8-PSend a Private Message to 8-PDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sabooo:

That's got to be the best vanity tag I've seen on a Fiero! ;-)
aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2010 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Synthesis:
Park lights from a distance

Millennium falcon, cleared for take-off.

You could hit the brakes and give the guy behind you a suntan with those mo-fo's...

------------------
----------------------------------------------------
Currently in the middle of my 88 + 3800NA swap

Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2010 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by aaronkoch:

Millennium falcon, cleared for take-off.

You could hit the brakes and give the guy behind you a suntan with those mo-fo's...

Can and have.

lildevil

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2010 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lildevilClick Here to visit lildevil's HomePageSend a Private Message to lildevilDirect Link to This Post
I like the way that spaghetti engineerings come out. They look factory, not like a Light Brite set. Heres a set for a Camaro that would be close to a Fiero GT. The sequential flash can be turned on and off...

[This message has been edited by lildevil (edited 06-11-2010).]

yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2010 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
What about something like this in LED?

yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2010 07:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
Any opinions on this? I thought people would like that pic!

Originally posted by yellowstone:

Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2010 08:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
My suggestion would be to get a panel first either original gt primed or some custom one or two part panel then get it laser cut exactly where you want the lights then silicone perspex from behind or the desired lighting cover so it is waterproof before you begin fitting your lights that way you will only illuminate what you desire. I believe a machine will beat a steady hand as far as getting a neat cut for these.

Really nice work sebooo

[This message has been edited by Australian (edited 06-15-2010).]

exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2010 08:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post
pretty sharp idea.

[This message has been edited by exoticse (edited 06-15-2010).]

Fierofreak00

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2010 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by lildevil:

I like the way that spaghetti engineerings come out. They look factory, not like a Light Brite set. Heres a set for a Camaro that would be close to a Fiero GT. The sequential flash can be turned on and off...

This is the one I like and would pay 300 for a set for a GT. -Jason

yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2010 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
Bump?
PFF
System Bot
aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2010 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochDirect Link to This Post
Oznium sells waterproof Surface Mount strips that can be adhered to a backer plate, pre-resister-ed.

www.oznium.com

Should save time when building, not cheap, but may be worth the hassle.
Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2010 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by yellowstone:

Seems ok as a starting point..but I would change it to two rounds; because it looks better and they will match your twin round headlights...

Then make them less obvious

..and change the lights

Hella and others offer lights with seperate ring and inner light to make your own combination. These are used on many sportscars too

I would keep the original GT outer taillight lenses intact, make a new inner insert (black painted fiberglass, or CF ), cut two rounds and put these lights in there
btw what happened to your VW-part taillight idea you had sometime ago ?
Vendetta

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2010 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VendettaSend a Private Message to VendettaDirect Link to This Post
Where do you find the lights like that Fie Ro? I really like those and have been looking for something like that. I was about to make my own.

Austin
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2010 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fie Ro:

Wow, that looks really sharp!
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2010 02:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
man i need 2 other complete GT tail light assemblies for my idea. and like 4 sets of lenses. could be old and well used lenses too.
Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2010 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Vendetta:
Where do you find the lights like that Fie Ro? I really like those and have been looking for something like that. I was about to make my own.
Austin

Well there were some in a 2006 hella catalog I have, I just found this online pdf from Hella
http://www.hella.nl/produkt...htshow_Part3_GBu.pdf

page 7 of the pdf, has partnumbers and dimensions

add: a good description: http://www.tuninglinx.com/h...-led-light-ring.html

[This message has been edited by Fie Ro (edited 06-28-2010).]

randye

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2010 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fie Ro:

Well there were some in a 2006 hella catalog I have, I just found this online pdf from Hella
http://www.hella.nl/produkt...htshow_Part3_GBu.pdf

page 7 of the pdf, has partnumbers and dimensions

add: a good description: http://www.tuninglinx.com/h...-led-light-ring.html

I LIKE these llights!
Now 2 questions that I need to answer:
1. Cost?
2. Availability?
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2010 06:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by randye:

I LIKE these llights!
Now 2 questions that I need to answer:
1. Cost?
2. Availability?

Being Hella they are probably not cheap. But I really like them, too, and it's probably a very good solution since the lights themselves don't have to be fabricated, "just" the insert/bracket that holds them in the Fiero taillight assembly and the wiring. Almost like the Hella headlight buckets that Fiero1Fan makes!
Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2010 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelDirect Link to This Post
I'm presently working on a set like the first post but with the back up lights also... will post pics a little later... I'm waiting of my boards to be etched... turn signals will be sequential 7 segments. 135 superflux LEDs per side..... will keep you all posted soon

------------------

http://www.blackwidowfiero.com

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock