Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  88 gt 3800SC with ZZP intercooler swap (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 12 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12 
Previous Page | Next Page
88 gt 3800SC with ZZP intercooler swap by RULOOKIN
Started on: 02-07-2010 10:21 AM
Replies: 456
Last post by: OHNIKO on 12-11-2012 10:08 PM
RULOOKIN

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2010 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINDirect Link to This Post
I have waited many years to start this chapter of my Fiero history, many people know me as i used to own a 86 candy red notch back with a 3.4L custom exhaust and interior with plates that said RULOOKIN. The car was not perfect but for a good 13 years i had fun with it and alot of headachs too, This beautiful car has since been sold and i have bought a new toy, my new to me 88 fastback was purchased two years ago and was almost all origional with light tan leather interior, the car had some mods to the moter but in absolutly mit condition no rust anywhere, the car can be seen on Best fastback here on pennocks and to me is one of the nicer looking fastbacks in Ontario Canada .
I am very good friends with Joe from race tec here in T.O. and after many years of pondering the 3800SC moter i finaly got one i will be posting pics of the build very soon as we go along keep an eye on this build. I have a cradle thal i will be taking to sand blasting on monday then paint so for those who know me i do tend to go all out with no expence spared, but we are doing something that would be in reach of any of you outhere so stay tuned the build has begun Duane Hamilton/Joe Trentadue Race Tec !
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2010 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like an excellent project but be advised if you try and swap in a 3800SC with the full stack intercooler, it will be a very tight fit. You will need to low mount the powertrain to gain deck clearance or greatly modify the deck hinge braces. Skitime (Dave Horst) installed one and it was a "shoehorn" fit. Dave did a great job but had many fabrications/modifications to allow it to fit. The SSIC is an easier install but even that requires some fab/fitting work.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

RULOOKIN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2010 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the information about the full stack but we are useing it and have done the research on what is involved in modifiying the inside of the trunk and the hinges we also have a elimi slip top mount pully that we may or may not be able to use due to trunk clearance but we will see .
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2010 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
The rear decklid is really over engineered, and some MINOR fiberglass work will make room for ya.
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2010 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsDirect Link to This Post
Here is a picture of 3800 SC Series III install with a ZZP intercooler. This required no mods to the rear deck lid but the MERA may have more room than the standard Fiero.

Nelson

Hardpact

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2010 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HardpactSend a Private Message to HardpactDirect Link to This Post
here are the pics i took of his car at the 25th

it was a very sharp car ...too bad you got rid of it ....lol

------------------

BLUE BY YOU!
NYFOC

Pete Matos

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2010 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosDirect Link to This Post
Wow man nice looking car.... but I think I would do without the nutbuster subwoofer in the passenger side. Hate to be in a wreck in that car.... I know everyone likes a deep bass but I would not give up my passenger legroom to get the boom. Besides where is the HOT girlfriend gonna put those beautiful long legs?? peace

Pete
skitime

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 332
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2010 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Sounds like an excellent project but be advised if you try and swap in a 3800SC with the full stack intercooler, it will be a very tight fit. You will need to low mount the powertrain to gain deck clearance or greatly modify the deck hinge braces. Skitime (Dave Horst) installed one and it was a "shoehorn" fit. Dave did a great job but had many fabrications/modifications to allow it to fit. The SSIC is an easier install but even that requires some fab/fitting work.

------------------
I did not use any "low mount". I used stock transmission mounts and I made an engine mount the kept the engine level. I did modify the trunk hinges by cutting the hinge short then welding a plate one inch above the original location. I also cut the fiberglass and recessed it also an inch.

Red 88 GT T-Top 3800 INTERCOOLED SUPERCHARGED

Click here to read the History of Skitimes Car

[This message has been edited by skitime (edited 02-07-2010).]

MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2010 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post
There is no way around cutting the DL when using a full size IC. The last install I did used Fiero Addiction lowering mounts in hopes of not having to cut the DL. But even with the lowering mounts and modding the hindge the DL had to be cut a little.
RULOOKIN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2010 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINDirect Link to This Post
Well i worked on the cradle a bit today got the old e brake out it will get sanded and painted tomorow !
As for things that have already been done to my car are 12inch corvette roters cross drilled and zink coated so they look chrome car is lowered 1inch with a sweet set of SPYN 18inch offset wheels with chrome deep lip fronts are 7.5 by 18 rears are 8.5 by 18 and the camber on the rear has been set so the wheels appear under the fender or lined up not sticking out running 265 35 r18 sexy !
interior is compleatly stock and spotless with leather origionl tape deck factory sub no rips anywhere i do have a short shifter other than that it will remain stock !
FIEROFLYER

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2010 07:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYERDirect Link to This Post
The engine can not be mounted low enough to clear a full stack especially on an 88 due to the cradle as the axle shafts will hit where the lower control arm bolts to the cradle.
On 88's you can barely get the alt to clear up top with out clearance issues below with out modifying the lower control arm bolting point. Problem is the hump that it bolts to lines up perfectly with the dust boot clamp on the axle and will hit when the suspension travels all the way down ward and then the clamp lets go and the axle spews its grease every where. Dan
PFF
System Bot
RULOOKIN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2010 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINDirect Link to This Post
Well back at it early this morning got a spare 88 cradle in great shape sand blasted came out great took about 20min cost $75CDN also bought primer and gloss black paint cost $40CND i have a few cans left over for other things.
I primed and painted the cradle looks brand new ! was thinking of powder coating it but decided to just paint, moter will be mounted this weekend hopefully useing purple region mounts, moter has a 4 speed on it for mounting purposes but will be change to a 5 speed out of my 88 later we are also splitting the trani to instal a liminted slip custom differential which i think is a must have with the HP this moter will be putting out.
If there is anyone i can email pics to and have them posted please Pm me with your email cant seem to figure out how to post!
RULOOKIN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2010 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINDirect Link to This Post
tomorow morning the engine is getting mounted will have pics soon
RULOOKIN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2010 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINDirect Link to This Post

Not sure if these pics worked we will see here are pics of 88 cradle sandblasted and repainted also the moter that is going in i will be changeing the supercharger and valve covers to red
Erik

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2010 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post
nice looking Fiero, love the wheels and color
RULOOKIN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2010 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINDirect Link to This Post

i like this pic of the moter i kind of like the grey charger and v covers was thinking maybe keep things grey,black, & aliuminum havent made up my mind yet!
Ordered ford 3800 pacesetter shorty headers with some mods they shoud fit then into a 3inch electric dump out to high flow cat and muffler same routing as a stock fiero 2.8 exhaust
RULOOKIN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2010 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINDirect Link to This Post

RULOOKIN

1157 posts
Member since Jan 2010
[img]https://images.fiero.nl/2010/mustangtuning_2087_23202216.jpg
these are JBA stainless ford 3800 shortys the ones i ordered look the same but mild steel that will later be ceramiced in black
RULOOKIN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2010 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINDirect Link to This Post

RULOOKIN

1157 posts
Member since Jan 2010
[img]https://images.fiero.nl/2010/mustangtuning_2087_23202216.jpg
RULOOKIN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2010 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINDirect Link to This Post

RULOOKIN

1157 posts
Member since Jan 2010
C:\Users\Owner\Pictures\2009-08-29 taillights\taillights 018.JPG
Brand new OEM tail lights for my car
C:\Users\Owner\Pictures\2009-09-13 car\car 010.JPG
C:\Users\Owner\Pictures\2009-10-03 12inch break install\12inch break install 003.JPGC:\Users\Owner\Pictures\2009-10-03 12inch break install\12inch break install 010.JPG

C:\Users\Owner\Pictures\2009-10-03 12inch break install\12inch break install 002.JPG
have been installed in October NICE!
Team Race-Tech

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2010 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Team Race-TechSend a Private Message to Team Race-TechDirect Link to This Post
the last set of pictures did not come through......lol need to learn how your dam computer works.......haha....... oh ya lay off the **** sights, thats what kill your computer......LOL.....LOL....

------------------

Street Legal Tuning.

Specializing in Fiero performance:
3800 swaps, custom Aluminum flywheels, Brakes, Engine's, Aftermarket Bolt on performance parts, used Fiero parts,

Work e-mail: teamracetech@hotmail.com
MSN: teamracetech@hotmail.com

newf

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2010 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfSend a Private Message to newfDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RULOOKIN:

Drool. That is a beautiful 88GT.

I have a stock red 88GT also and will be following your progress with great interest. I don't think I have the knowledge yet to do a swap but maybe when time and money allows some day.

Let me ask what may be the first of many dumb questions. Did you get your engine out of a donor car? If so what was it?

[This message has been edited by newf (edited 02-23-2010).]

PFF
System Bot
RULOOKIN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2010 02:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINDirect Link to This Post
[img]https://images.fiero.nl/2010/engine2_1.jpg[/img

Engine was bought from a member here on Pennocks, It is a gen2 with lots of mods 2.6zzp pully,ported heads,cam,lifters,double roller cam chain new water pump all new gaskets,zzp intercooler and the supercharger has had alot of work done ported,machined snout new bearings, PO was going hard core race aplication with this moter was never finished so i bought it i am toneing it down a bit for a more street applicaton HEEE HEE HE but watch out ! she will be fast!
RULOOKIN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2010 02:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINDirect Link to This Post

RULOOKIN

1157 posts
Member since Jan 2010
http://imaghttp://images.fi...10/111a_35.jpg[/img]

Just a test, cant seento post pics
RULOOKIN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2010 03:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINDirect Link to This Post

RULOOKIN

1157 posts
Member since Jan 2010
RULOOKIN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2010 03:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINDirect Link to This Post

RULOOKIN

1157 posts
Member since Jan 2010

last pic was a 86 i owned with a 3,4L pushrod moter wasent happy with the power !! car looked nice sounded even better!
here are is a pic of my tips on my 88 everyone has dual exhaust tips i went with a single bothe sides 3inch oval stainless steel
RULOOKIN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2010 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINDirect Link to This Post
Well it looks like the PO has blocked off the heater core ports on the timing cover so a new timeing cover will be installed to alow heat we need that up here in Canada engine will be going on a stand for re and re paint and mock up ford headers soon ! will have pics
kevin

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2010 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinDirect Link to This Post
We're waiting
FIEROFLYER

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2010 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYERDirect Link to This Post
Looks like the nice fellow also blocked off the port in the lower intake for the heater hose. Dan
fieroX

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 372
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2010 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RULOOKIN:

Well it looks like the PO has blocked off the heater core ports on the timing cover so a new timeing cover will be installed to alow heat we need that up here in Canada engine will be going on a stand for re and re paint and mock up ford headers soon ! will have pics

we block them off too, its very easy to run the heater core that way. Just take a thermostat housing from a 2.8L and elongate the bolt holes to fit the 3800. Cut out the bent section and make it more straight up, and weld up the little passages that go to the 2.8L throttle body. Then utilize the port for the heater hose, and run it to the stock heater line. The return line goes back into the coolant port at the passenger side coolant tube under the car. Very simple, and it gives you a place to fill from. Using the GTP thermostat housing makes it harder to bleed the coolant. With a fill point on the engine, all you have to do is open the radiator cap, fill at the engine until it comes out the radiator, cap the radiator and finish filling the engine. Hope this makes sense, and helps.

Ryan
RULOOKIN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2010 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINDirect Link to This Post
Yes the intake hole is bolcked too but we are going with a new timeing cover to alow flow to the heater core, there is a 3800 in my friends shop done this way with the heater core outlet on intake filled but utilizing the port on the timeing cover is used and has a nice clean look i am staying with the origional thermostat housing from 3800 i find it a easy process to bleed coolant.
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2010 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
Stock coolant routing has worked excellent for me, the bleeding process is not really more complex than anything else, just a bit messier.
PFF
System Bot
RULOOKIN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2010 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINDirect Link to This Post

RULOOKIN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2010 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINDirect Link to This Post

RULOOKIN

1157 posts
Member since Jan 2010
today i got the old timeing cover off and put engine on a stand new waterpump gaskets crank seal timeing cover gasget now i can run a heater core line off the timeincover also cleaned and repaited moter block intake timeing cover black ! thinks are looking good took valve covers off and inspected valve train looks like new springs and valve guides and retainer were done by PO
RULOOKIN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2010 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINDirect Link to This Post
The ford headers are at the border ready for pick up Modding them to fit a bit of chop cut rebuild is going to take place but the end result will be clean looking stay posted i will have more pics
RULOOKIN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2010 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINDirect Link to This Post
[img]https://images.fiero.nl/2010/d4.jpg">[img]https://images.fiero.nl/2010/d5.jpg">

did some work today finished repainting the block intercooler black installed some of the pullys still waiting on a new SC case also cleaned and painted valve covers with VHT high temp 900* Real Red paint i think the turned out great ,they will go back on the engine next week along with the bolts all repainted black still waiting on parts at the border but i got my new fuel pump today and it turns out my flywheel is correct but was installed wrong by PO i will be checking it for proper balance and thickness just too be safe summer is comming soon i dont want to rush things but i am excited.
I am doing most of the work myself i do have a friend helping me along the way but so far i have been on my own but working on it at his shop is a big help ! Props to all you who manage to do it in your garage at home this seems imposible to me
Thanks Dan for your information on the flywheel i may use it or go aluminum not sure yet!!
Thanks Joe for putting up with the smell of paint the last two weekends LOL
RULOOKIN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2010 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINDirect Link to This Post

RULOOKIN

1157 posts
Member since Jan 2010

OHNIKO

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2010 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OHNIKOSend a Private Message to OHNIKODirect Link to This Post
looking good Duane, keep it up
will be following this progress
& talk 2 ya soon!

Nick

------------------
1985 RED & SILVER CUSTOM GT 2.8 V6...IT LOOKS NICE!

18" x 8" Original Roja's, 225-40-ZR18's up front, 265-35-ZR18's rears, Aerospeed adjustable coil-overs, KYB shocks, dropped 2"+, K&N filters, Holley side scoop, upgraded front & rear sway bars with poly, fully loaded, original paint!...and dreaming of a fierce 3800SC swap!

MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2010 12:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post
Just a word of advice..Since the motor was worked over by the PO..Take the time to have who ever is installing it for you to go thru it to insure all was put together correctly.

RULOOKIN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2010 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINDirect Link to This Post
As for the moter its self bottem end was never touched only oil pan gasget changed,top end has new valve springs and guides and new cometic head gasket moter looks good and was never run by PO but tyhe moter was origionaly bought from Morad Parts so i am crossing my fingers all intake timeing cover oil pan head gaskets have been changed and PO was a mechanic so he said !
RULOOKIN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2010 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINDirect Link to This Post

RULOOKIN

1157 posts
Member since Jan 2010

pics of the 12"breaks i had installed in october they are sweet!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 12 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock