Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  88 gt 3800SC with ZZP intercooler swap (Page 9)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 12 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12 
Previous Page | Next Page
88 gt 3800SC with ZZP intercooler swap by RULOOKIN
Started on: 02-07-2010 10:21 AM
Replies: 456
Last post by: OHNIKO on 12-11-2012 10:08 PM
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2011 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
please get rid of the single roller and put a stock chain or a double roller in.
IP: Logged
RULOOKIN

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2011 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINDirect Link to This Post
DAJAVO !! motor is back together,

thismanyfieros

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2011 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thismanyfierosSend a Private Message to thismanyfierosDirect Link to This Post
i guess he didnt read what zzp RECOMMENDS to install a xp hot cam in an engine with on there site...
RULOOKIN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2011 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINDirect Link to This Post
This car will never see the track and will never be raced and when i tuned it everything held together fine and i would never drive the car like that again ,Looking into the double roller chain and machined oil pump cover from ZZP ! and double gasgets ! spent alot of money on this motor so last thing i need is the timeing chain to break motor it still out so should make for a easy job !

[This message has been edited by RULOOKIN (edited 10-31-2011).]

wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2011 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbDirect Link to This Post
your car is beautiful , just read the whole thread .i just don't understand why you keep buying rebuilt motors .next time you need a motor , go on the ontario automobile recyclers association website (OARA) .you can find a low miler of just about anything there . and an all original motor will outlast a rebuild anytime .quit throwing away your money .sorry if i sound harsh , i just think you are being had .
TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2011 06:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODDirect Link to This Post
I have read a few posts about rebuilding the 3800 bottom end and I don`t see how the 3800 can be so much different than any other block.
I would assume that people who have had bad experiences with rebuilt motors have not had a very good motor built by a very competent engine builder.
There is a machine shop close to me that is a small independent and he builds top fuel and helicopter engines, and I have had him line bore a couple of blocks and balance a couple of rotating assemblies and I have never had problems with them.
I have also heard people mention that if you think you know more than the GM engineers then do what you want but it isn`t GM engineers building Nascar motors or other forms of motorsports engines and those are just short of miraculous the kind of stresses they are put through.
It may come down to a simple matter of finances.
If you are building a car and the motor will be fine for what you are doing, why go through the extra expense of rebuilding it, but if you can afford it and you want to go a couple of extra steps in balancing or modifying an engine a little, why not do it on the presumption that GM didn`t take the time to do anything extra for an engine that was going in a passenger car.
RULOOKIN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2011 07:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by wftb:

your car is beautiful , just read the whole thread .i just don't understand why you keep buying rebuilt motors .next time you need a motor , go on the ontario automobile recyclers association website (OARA) .you can find a low miler of just about anything there . and an all original motor will outlast a rebuild anytime .quit throwing away your money .sorry if i sound harsh , i just think you are being had .

i think its the other way around been buying used motors !! first motor bought from a member in Ohio he said motor had 80 miles, that motor spun a rod bearing,second motor bought form a wrecker here in Canada (L26 bottom end ) this motor had a knock when it got to operating temp, 3rd engine again was bought from a wrecker here in Canada was told only had 3250KM on it (L26 bottomend) was inspected and looked to be acurate the spark plugs looked brand new as did the compleate motor, but went the extra step had it torndown and balanced with L67 balancer and my flywheel, and other things done as well by a good engine shop
I am waiting on a double roller timeing chain so things are on hold right now,
PBJ

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2011 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RULOOKIN:

This car will never see the track and will never be raced

What! All those go fast goodies....I was looking forward to running against you at the track this coming summer

Nice looking car and build you are doing.

Pete

------------------

RULOOKIN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2011 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINDirect Link to This Post
I will be happy if i ever get to drive this car again !! As for the raceing i do go up to Kayuga once and a while but just to watch

[This message has been edited by RULOOKIN (edited 11-01-2011).]

RULOOKIN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2011 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINDirect Link to This Post
Got these Sc emblems for below trim mouldings on front fenders off ebay they also come in red !

Still waiting on the double timeing chain, and will be redoing the compleate front suspension all ne ball joints tierod ends shocks KYB, Thanks ROB fro placeing the oder to rodney dickman,
I know we all like pics so have a look at this beauty, makes me want to go turbo seeing as i have all the parts just about
PBJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2011 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post

have a look at this beauty, makes me want to go turbo seeing as i have all the parts just about

If you went turbo you would never ever regret it! Come by some time and try one.

Pete

------------------

88 3800 turbo thanks to AkursedX and Sinister Performance

PFF
System Bot
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2011 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
Who owns that? Looks like its going to be a nice build!

------------------

Check out my build!
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000100.html

lildevil

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2011 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lildevilClick Here to visit lildevil's HomePageSend a Private Message to lildevilDirect Link to This Post
what are the emblems off of?
PBJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2011 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lildevil:

Audi
PBJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2011 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post

PBJ

4167 posts
Member since Jan 2001

Originally posted by lildevil:

Audi

http://www.iamaudi.com/audi-supercharged-badge/
RULOOKIN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2011 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINDirect Link to This Post
i am thinking of buying the ZZp aluminum valve covers !! lets face it they look great !! just cant visualize the valve covers with my red SC anyone who can do some photo shop for me from one of my engine photos .
cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2011 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotDirect Link to This Post
Dude- you could have bought a ZR-1 with the money you have pissed away on this car.

Just get the darn thing running and drive it before winter/salt hits

RULOOKIN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2011 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINDirect Link to This Post
Got the timeing chain and machined pump cover and 2 gasgets took my time digging into this but things went well

lined up timeing marks with old chain

will get the timeing cover back on tomorow and buttin things up for install into car FINALY !!

Hey Peter if you want to lend me 100,000 for a ZR1 corvette let me know when i can come see you !! LOL
doing my best to get this running before the snow so i can go break in the motor, or break the motor with my luck !!
RULOOKIN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2011 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINDirect Link to This Post
Motor is in and running trying to figure out how to upload videos no leaks sounds amazing took for a small ride everything is working well !!
sabooo

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2011 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for saboooSend a Private Message to saboooDirect Link to This Post
Congrats! Looking forward to the vids
RULOOKIN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2011 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINDirect Link to This Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KVvnrctJ_8
sorry about the dubble pic video had my camera on 3D settings
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtPi3JNCJGI

[This message has been edited by RULOOKIN (edited 11-21-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
Justinbart

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2011 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartDirect Link to This Post

sorry about the dubble pic video had my camera on 3D settings

Not when I have some 3D glasses! That's pretty neat. I hope you have better luck this time.

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 5spd spec5
11.54@132.7

RULOOKIN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2011 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINDirect Link to This Post
so was looking at the front suspension issue i was having with the left front wheel rubbing a bit on the fender well and it turns out that the bump steer rubber was compleatly destoryed and the right side was getting bad as well so i bought polly bump stops like Jegs sell ( 21/4 inch) i cut it down a bit and installed them in factory location i think i stll need to trim a bit more off as they are almost touching the top A arm bump stop but i am also installing polly top spring pads 7/8 inch to give the front a bit more height and new KBY shocks this weekend , then i will do a final trim of the bump stops

i am no expert but i think all of us who have dropped our cars a inch or more i think you will find that if you are heavy into a corner you will be rideing on the bump stops ! with big rims for sure !!
Amida

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2011 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaDirect Link to This Post

i am no expert but i think all of us who have dropped our cars a inch or more i think you will find that if you are heavy into a corner you will be rideing on the bump stops ! with big rims for sure !!

I'm using 2" drop spindles on my '88 and will also need to look into bump stops. I'm not certain where to put it on the rear suspension. Perhaps inside the coilover...any ideas?
RULOOKIN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2011 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINDirect Link to This Post
well its going to all depend on you rims and tires size and how the car is sitting once the springs have settled if you turn the front wheel all the way left)(drivers side)you will see the bump stop rubber if its no already trimmed it will be hitting for sure already, I sugest removing it and replaceing it with the polly ones like i used they can be trimmed down to where you need it, I havent seen many post about this but i am sure with or without coil overs on the front there is very little clearance between thee bump stop when turning hard L/R anyone have a good write up on this for a 88 i have seen the post about 86 and 87 but the 88s are a bit different ?
Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2011 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaDirect Link to This Post
What about the rear? Where is the bump stop? Thanks.
RULOOKIN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2011 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Amida:

What about the rear? Where is the bump stop? Thanks.

not sure that a 88 has bump stops in the rear ??
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2011 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
If I'm not mistaken the rear bump stop is the strut itself.
Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2011 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaDirect Link to This Post
Are urethane bumpstops available for coilover struts?
RULOOKIN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2011 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Amida:

Are urethane bumpstops available for coilover struts?

never had a issue with the rear bottoming out but with coil overs i guess you could use something so you dont set it too low ?? the way my car is i have stock stuts and lowering springs
RULOOKIN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2011 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINDirect Link to This Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSVbKX7ezfg
got some miles on her today running perfect !! no boost right now till i break in the new motor
PFF
System Bot
RULOOKIN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2011 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINDirect Link to This Post
need to get fuel trims set up againg as i changed a few things from the previous build, but ran a full scan of things today this is what i got used a Solars scaner today to check some readings

IAC 19
RPM 910
SPRAK ADVANCE -25.5
COOLANT 83
MAF G/S 6.30
MAF H2 2750 to 2803
ST TRIM 128
LT TRIM 127
H02 -1 600 to 700

I may still have a small vac leak as the IAC numbers were much lower ( 8 tp 10)but we backed off the TB screw to get better numbers, we have a smoke machine to test for vac leaks .

[This message has been edited by RULOOKIN (edited 11-27-2011).]

hammer18

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2011 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hammer18Send a Private Message to hammer18Direct Link to This Post
[/QUOTE]

Hey thats mine!
RULOOKIN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2011 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hammer18:

Hey thats mine!

Very nice job!! we were admireing it and i was looking into the same valve covers from ZZP,
hammer18

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2011 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hammer18Send a Private Message to hammer18Direct Link to This Post
There worth every penny. They have the same ones but powder coated to.

[This message has been edited by hammer18 (edited 11-27-2011).]

doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2011 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
If you wanted those polished aluminum valve covers from ZZP then you missed out on black friday. They were on sale for 129 bucks!
nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2011 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracDirect Link to This Post

There worth every penny. They have the same ones but powder coated to.

They are not going to look like that when installed and running in the car. I got mine powder coated to keep them blinging but now they are dull looking. The bare aluminum won't hold that luster for long.
nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2011 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracDirect Link to This Post

nosrac

3520 posts
Member since Jan 2005

You got a build thread? I am going turbo too and like to compare notes.

[This message has been edited by nosrac (edited 11-27-2011).]

rourke_87_T-Top

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2011 03:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rourke_87_T-TopSend a Private Message to rourke_87_T-TopDirect Link to This Post
I should have gotten a video of the destruction you did to the gas station's washroom, man am I ever glad you didn't do that at my house. Lol.

[This message has been edited by rourke_87_T-Top (edited 11-29-2011).]

OHNIKO

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2011 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OHNIKOSend a Private Message to OHNIKODirect Link to This Post
looking & sounding good dude, can i steal it?

now, just don't break anything!!!

talk 2 u soon.

------------------
RATE ME IF YOU LIKE MY CRUISES!!!
1985 RED & SILVER CUSTOM GT 2.8 V6...IT LOOKS NICE!

Original 18" x 8" Motegi Roja's, 225-40-ZR18's front, 265-35-ZR18's rears, coil-overs, KYB shocks & struts, 2.5" drop, K&N filters, Holley side scoop, upgraded front & rear sway bars, poly, fully loaded, tinted, & some other nice custom stuff...

1985 GT SILVER CONVERSION PROJECT, 3800 SC SII powered, doesn't look as nice (yet), but it sure goes!

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 12 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock