Arizona junkyard shocker by kazew
Started on: 10-16-2011 07:21 AM
Replies: 42
Last post by: jaybeezi on 10-19-2011 04:58 PM
kazew

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2011 07:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kazewSend a Private Message to kazewDirect Link to This Post
My neighbor told me he saw a nice white one at the yard so I went down to check it out and found not one Formula but two mostly untouched ones. The white one has me asking why is this car here it's so clean and lots of new parts on the car and no damage, only 131k on it. I keep searching and I see the red one and it looks just as good until I walk around it and find this. I know someone must know who's car this was and what happened to it what a shame that we lost two good formulas, I hate to see it.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
donnie072003

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2011 08:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for donnie072003Click Here to visit donnie072003's HomePageSend a Private Message to donnie072003Direct Link to This Post
No pics??
kazew

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2011 08:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kazewSend a Private Message to kazewDirect Link to This Post
Ok I don't see the pics I posted um help what am I missing with pip https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/087280.html
kazew

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2011 08:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kazewSend a Private Message to kazewDirect Link to This Post

kazew

111 posts
Member since Mar 2006
kazew

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2011 08:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kazewSend a Private Message to kazewDirect Link to This Post

kazew

111 posts
Member since Mar 2006
kazew

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2011 08:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kazewSend a Private Message to kazewDirect Link to This Post

kazew

111 posts
Member since Mar 2006
kazew

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2011 08:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kazewSend a Private Message to kazewDirect Link to This Post

kazew

111 posts
Member since Mar 2006
FieroReinke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2011 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroReinkeSend a Private Message to FieroReinkeDirect Link to This Post
That red one has a 3.4 DOHC swap done. It is rare to see a swapped car in a yard. Any idea how much they would ask for the deck lid support brackets?
Bat City Fieros

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2011 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Bat City FierosClick Here to visit Bat City Fieros's HomePageSend a Private Message to Bat City FierosDirect Link to This Post
untouched?
I think a fire touched it

------------------
Prez
www.batcityfieros.com
Check us out on Facebook @ Bat City Fieros
"We go batty for Fieros"

weloveour86se

Feedback score:    (115)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2011 09:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seDirect Link to This Post
Hey be careful those fieros will catch on fire! hehe
batousai666

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2011 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroReinke:

That red one has a 3.4 DOHC swap done. It is rare to see a swapped car in a yard.

and a turbo, maybe.....with that big aftermarket gauge?? or is that a Tach??

wish i lived in AZ. does that engine look any good. the 3.4L DOHC?
PFF
System Bot
FieroG97J

Feedback score:    (31)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2011 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroG97JSend a Private Message to FieroG97JDirect Link to This Post
Since there were about 3,000,000 Fieros made, this is no big loss really :-)
J Gunsett

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2011 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for J GunsettClick Here to visit J Gunsett's HomePageSend a Private Message to J GunsettDirect Link to This Post
I think you got an extra zero on there.

Jack
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2011 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
HOT CAR!
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2011 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
This only serves to show that Fieros can still catch fire but it looks as though the one with the 3.4TDC swap ; the fire originated near the firewall. If you drop out the 3.4TDC powertrain with the cradle it might still be good for an easy and quick swap. Since its an 88 the suspension parts would also be worth saving

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, ZZP Intercooler, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 10-16-2011).]

css9450

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2011 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Direct Link to This Post
That is most likely Dave Gunsul's old car.... New owner's kid was using it while in school in Phoenix - caught fire and was destroyed.
FieroG97J

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2011 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroG97JSend a Private Message to FieroG97JDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by J Gunsett:

I think you got an extra zero on there.

Jack

The 3,000,000 figure HAS to be right. There are enough parts here on Pennocks to build the first 300,000 easy.
TheRealShadowX

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2011 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheRealShadowXSend a Private Message to TheRealShadowXDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroG97J:

The 3,000,000 figure HAS to be right. There are enough parts here on Pennocks to build the first 300,000 easy.

Now I really hope you're being sarcastic. There were roughly 375,000 Fieros produced in the 5 years they were made and they all came form 1 factory in Indiana. It might seem like there were more made but I assure you, there weren't.

------------------
(TRSX) The Zombiero - "Thrice resurrected"
1985 GT, 4 Speed Muncie, 3.4PR V6, 15" Lace GT wheels, Power everything, sunroof, Red with gray effects. Driven and enjoyed daily.

Fiero GT- 2 seater, mid engine, rear wheel drive, H.O. V6, manual rack and pinion steering, fully independent suspension, 4 wheel disc brakes, no ABS, no traction control, no speed limiter, available T-Tops. So, outdated econo-box or classic sports car? You decide.

batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2011 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by TheRealShadowX:

Now I really hope you're being sarcastic. There were roughly 375,000 Fieros produced in the 5 years they were made and they all came form 1 factory in Indiana. It might seem like there were more made but I assure you, there weren't.

one factory in Pontiac Mi VIN #11

[This message has been edited by batousai666 (edited 10-16-2011).]

TheRealShadowX

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2011 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheRealShadowXSend a Private Message to TheRealShadowXDirect Link to This Post
You are correct sir. I was thinking of the transmissions or something, I had Muncie in my brain. Hahaha
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2011 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
Ok fine, no information from me.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 10-16-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2011 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroDirect Link to This Post
You guys shouldn't get all worked up.....Dave (FieroG97J) has been around Fieros for a very long time and is just being a bit facecious.

It's sad to see any Fiero in the boneyard, let alone an '88, but it happens and as long as the good parts are salvaged then that loss is lessened. I see a very nice front fascia, brake & suspension and other miscellaneous stuff that could be used to keep another Fiero kicking for a bit longer.
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post10-16-2011 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
Grab the VINs and mark them as KIA in the '88 database guy thread...
FieroG97J

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2011 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroG97JSend a Private Message to FieroG97JDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mrfiero:

You guys shouldn't get all worked up.....Dave (FieroG97J) has been around Fieros for a very long time and is just being a bit facecious.

It's sad to see any Fiero in the boneyard, let alone an '88, but it happens and as long as the good parts are salvaged then that loss is lessened. I see a very nice front fascia, brake & suspension and other miscellaneous stuff that could be used to keep another Fiero kicking for a bit longer.

Thanks for the backup Mike. They bit it off, hook, line and sinker. Even though I have roughly 275,000 hoods and about 550,000 fenders in my stash alone. I think I could build about 300,000 of them in my back yard :-)
kazew

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2011 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kazewSend a Private Message to kazewDirect Link to This Post
You can't see the details in the pic but unfortunely the engine and alot of the engine bay has serious heat damage, good luck using that one again. To Batousai666, thats a tach.

To MrFiero, yes your right off the white one I got entirely new rear brakes and rotors up front, good mainfolds and carpets, I don't have an AT so anyone in AZ that needs AT driveshafts they are brand new and not even dirty yet and yesterday was their 50% off parts day :-).
Silicoan86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2011 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Silicoan86Send a Private Message to Silicoan86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by css9450:
That is most likely Dave Gunsul's old car.... New owner's kid was using it while in school in Phoenix - caught fire and was destroyed.

Where did you hear that? Is this really true? I've driven it many times (when Dave owned it) and that was an awesome car. Would really be a shame to see it go like that.

Comparing this one to his, there a a number of things that are different, but of course, they are things that the new owner could have easily changed.
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2011 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariDirect Link to This Post
When I saw the 3.4 and the deck struts on that red one I thought it was ltlfrari for a moment until I realized it was a formula. Gave me chills for a second or two there...

------------------
Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

Ventura

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2011 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VenturaSend a Private Message to VenturaDirect Link to This Post
It reminds me of the movie, Planes, Trains and Automobiles.....Looks like they caught it in the knick of time.....but, it would probably be hard to tell the speed with any degree of accuracy.
css9450

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2011 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Silicoan86:

Where did you hear that? Is this really true? I've driven it many times (when Dave owned it) and that was an awesome car. Would really be a shame to see it go like that.

Comparing this one to his, there a a number of things that are different, but of course, they are things that the new owner could have easily changed.

I heard it from the new owner at Fierorama (I hope its OK to be posting this but he didn't make it sound like its a secret or anything). His kid needed a daily driver while in Phoenix so they shipped the Formula out there. He'd had some overheating issues with it but they think the fire was caused by a fuel leak. Yes they made a few changes to it during the few years they owned it (Dave's sleeper-looking single exhaust, for example, had been switched back to a dual). They'd had the engine out a time or two. Dave's racing seats were long gone too.

Are you guys up in Minny still in touch with Dave? I've seen his videos and know he's heavy into bikes now; maybe he can identify the car for sure from the pics.

larini74

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2011 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for larini74Click Here to visit larini74's HomePageSend a Private Message to larini74Direct Link to This Post
3,000,000 is a bit high - only 370,168 total Fieros were made..... not counting the prototypes, which probably don't have VIN numbers....
justa6

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2011 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for justa6Send a Private Message to justa6Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by css9450:

I heard it from the new owner at Fierorama (I hope its OK to be posting this but he didn't make it sound like its a secret or anything). His kid needed a daily driver while in Phoenix so they shipped the Formula out there. He'd had some overheating issues with it but they think the fire was caused by a fuel leak. Yes they made a few changes to it during the few years they owned it (Dave's sleeper-looking single exhaust, for example, had been switched back to a dual). They'd had the engine out a time or two. Dave's racing seats were long gone too.

Are you guys up in Minny still in touch with Dave? I've seen his videos and know he's heavy into bikes now; maybe he can identify the car for sure from the pics.

i dont know of anyone still in contact with dave. that was a fun car though. if it is his car someone should grab the cams out of that motor as they were a custom grind. i know dave did a bunch of research into them before he had them ground. to bad the car went that way

------------------

My 365 Project
My Videos
87 Fiero GT 5-speed.
98 Golf K2 5-speed 2.0
Minivan Drivers; they're good for fertilizer. Thats all.

PFF
System Bot
jwrape

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2011 07:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jwrapeSend a Private Message to jwrapeDirect Link to This Post
looks like the fire started on the passenger seat. It is the most severely burnt. Car looks like it was a nice one.
mptighe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 122
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2011 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheDirect Link to This Post
I have to stop hanging out with the import crowd. I saw the word "shocker" and thought something completely different had transpired.
joshh44

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2011 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joshh44Send a Private Message to joshh44Direct Link to This Post
anyone else noticed it had cupholders????
chasebmx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2011 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chasebmxSend a Private Message to chasebmxDirect Link to This Post
I noticed the cup holders and what it left of a sub box.
Also where at in phoenix is this? I might have to stop by if i am in phoenix.
bluefiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2011 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bluefieroSend a Private Message to bluefieroDirect Link to This Post
The red formula would be my car. Yes it was Dave's car back in the day. Long story short, I was driving it back home from dinner one day and noticed smoke coming through the firewall into the car. Smoke then kept getting worse and I pulled over. When I looked over my shoulder to switch lanes I saw flames coming up from the passenger side engine vent. Parked it and called the fire department immediately. Unfortunately, they did not arrive for 10-15 minutes as I sat and watched it burn. The cupholders you see are from a custom 10" subwoofer box I had installed. Had about $1,000 alone in stereo equipment that all burnt up. We are not sure what started the fire. Looked like it started towards the top of the engine on the firewall side.

I hated to see the car go as I LOVED it, and it was definitely a very fun toy. However, I do not have any tools out here in az or even a garage, so there was no way I would have been able to take off any parts or salvage much. I was going to take the money from insurance and keeping the car as salvage to try parting it out, however, neighbors complained about the car sitting in front of my place, and the insurance company offered me a great deal so I had to let it go.

For anyone interested, it does have the custom cams in it, and the 5-speed getrag could also be a potentially good deal if you can grab it out. All suspensions components should get in great condition as well. I see someone already took the rims off of it that were on there.
hercimer01

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2011 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by bluefiero:

the insurance company offered me a great deal so I had to let it go.

Normal full coverage? I was thinking about getting mine appraised and covered based on that.

Sorry Man for your loss, Moment of silence please.........................

[This message has been edited by hercimer01 (edited 10-18-2011).]

Silicoan86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2011 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Silicoan86Send a Private Message to Silicoan86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by bluefiero:
Long story short, I was driving it back home from dinner one day and noticed smoke coming through the firewall into the car. Smoke then kept getting worse and I pulled over. When I looked over my shoulder to switch lanes I saw flames coming up from the passenger side engine vent. Parked it and called the fire department immediately. Unfortunately, they did not arrive for 10-15 minutes as I sat and watched it burn. The cupholders you see are from a custom 10" subwoofer box I had installed. Had about $1,000 alone in stereo equipment that all burnt up. We are not sure what started the fire. Looked like it started towards the top of the engine on the firewall side.

Man that sucks, I really hate to see it go that way. Sorry to hear that...
cptsnoopy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2011 02:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyDirect Link to This Post
What parts yard are these cars in?

Charlie

87antuzzi

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 228
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2011 03:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mptighe:

I have to stop hanging out with the import crowd. I saw the word "shocker" and thought something completely different had transpired.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock