Fiero Wreck w/ pics by helmet1978
Started on: 08-16-2011 10:58 PM
Replies: 33
Last post by: nitroheadz28 on 08-20-2011 12:38 AM
helmet1978

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2011 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for helmet1978Click Here to visit helmet1978's HomePageSend a Private Message to helmet1978Direct Link to This Post
Well guys, in 10 years of driving to Richland, WA for Northwest Fiero Fest my car finally didn't make it.

6 miles west of La Grande Oregon the bolt holding the right rear knuckle to the lower ball joint disappeared at 70mph. I'm not sure if it broke or was loose, but in any case the wheel went sideways making it a bit tough to drive normally.

Lucky for us there were no other cars next to us, and the direction of the wheel/curve put us into the ditch instead of a concrete barrier.

Pics...

No way it was driving out of there on its own so AAA to the rescue...

A little damage assessment...found the problem but gave up getting the kuckle back on the ball joint stud.

Time for tow truck #2...

Stay tuned for part 2 of the saga

------------------
http://www.raceme.cc/helmet/

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
VikingRedBaron

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2011 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VikingRedBaronSend a Private Message to VikingRedBaronDirect Link to This Post
All I can think of is,

"That has to suck" !!!
FireGirl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2011 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FireGirlSend a Private Message to FireGirlDirect Link to This Post
Well luckily you are ok and you did make it to Fiero Fest!!

Are you going to fix her up?
ManMadeChickens

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2011 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ManMadeChickensSend a Private Message to ManMadeChickensDirect Link to This Post
Like he said, that does suck. Glad to know you're all OK. Knowing you, it'll be put back together better than it was before.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2011 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Ouch. I hate it when that happens.

Good luck with the repairs. Hope nothing got seriously tweaked.
helmet1978

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2011 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for helmet1978Click Here to visit helmet1978's HomePageSend a Private Message to helmet1978Direct Link to This Post
The saga continues...

After renting a car in La Grande and continuing to NW Fiero Fest 2011, then heading home on Sunday it was time to go retrieve the car.

Thanks to one of our club members I was able to borrow a car trailer and Dad & I made the 2.5 hour trip back to La Grande on Monday.

Armed with two floor jacks, jack stands, tools and a replacement bolt we set out. About 20 minutes after arriving at the storage lot I had the rear end in the air and the knuckle bolt back in place. The axle had also popped out of the trans so that went right back in. The only permanent damage to the rear suspension was the bent tie rod. The tire is also done for after dragging down the freeway sideways and getting cut up on the bodywork.

We had planned to use the winch to pull the car on the trailer, but since everything went so smoothly I fired the car up and drove it on the trailer!

Body damage is a little more serious. The front bumper is toast thanks to grazing a road-side reflector. I should be able to salvage the rear bumper since it just pulled off the belt-line fasteners and a few of the wheel well screws. The rocker panels have a few small scratches so hopefully I can just buff them out.

So after all is said and done it turned out to be a pretty expensive weekend, but no one was hurt and we still had a good time at the NW Fiero Fest.

I'll be starting repairs in the next few days, but paint will probably have to wait until early next year. Maybe I'll do something a little different with the nose

------------------

mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2011 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
Glad to hear you are ok, hope everything turns out well. I know you said the tire is shot, but it looks like the rim is ok though, right?
Nebiros88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2011 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nebiros88Click Here to visit Nebiros88's HomePageSend a Private Message to Nebiros88Direct Link to This Post
Glad you're ok, sorry about the car... I just saw it the other day going past my work, beautiful car.

If you need any parts let me know.
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2011 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

Man that stinks !

Your car has always been a favorite of mine.

Good luck on getting her back together.
DeLorean00

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2011 12:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Direct Link to This Post
Phew!! That could have been a TON worse!! I am happy first off you and everyone else is ok!! Also your poor Fiero survived that accident very well. Once you clean her up and fix that bumper it will be as good as new!!
blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2011 12:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:

this. Glad you are okay.
PFF
System Bot
TM_Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2011 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TM_FieroSend a Private Message to TM_FieroDirect Link to This Post
Wow! Glad your ok and the damage isn't too bad.

Your Fiero has always been one of my favorites. Good to see it will still be around.
DeLorean00

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2011 01:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Direct Link to This Post
I must admit I did cringe when I saw the first picture. I was in a small panic thinking this beautiful car was totaled.
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2011 01:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DeLorean00:

I must admit I did cringe when I saw the first picture. I was in a small panic thinking this beautiful car was totaled.

X2.
helmet1978

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2011 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for helmet1978Click Here to visit helmet1978's HomePageSend a Private Message to helmet1978Direct Link to This Post
Thank you everyone for your compliments and concerns!

The car will definately be back on the road by next spring, got a wedding to pay for first though

Originally posted by mattwa:

Glad to hear you are ok, hope everything turns out well. I know you said the tire is shot, but it looks like the rim is ok though, right?

Yeah, the wheels are all straight but my new powdercoat is a little dinged up. The clear was starting to stress crack a little anyway so they may get re-coated for next year.

------------------

85SEnochie

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2011 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85SEnochieSend a Private Message to 85SEnochieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by helmet1978:

Thank you everyone for your compliments and concerns!

The car will definately be back on the road by next spring, got a wedding to pay for first though
Yeah, the wheels are all straight but my new powdercoat is a little dinged up. The clear was starting to stress crack a little anyway so they may get re-coated for next year.

Glad you are ok Sorry your car did not make it It was a little weird not seeing it their! It has been kind of a staple of the Fiero Fest and one of the Cooooolest Fiero's out there.

------------------

Love The Excitement! //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/068738.html

Blacksheep

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2011 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacksheepSend a Private Message to BlacksheepDirect Link to This Post
Wow, that sucks.

Glad your ok and the car isn't in too bad of shape considering. Yours was one of the cars I was looking forward to seeing at the show.
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post08-17-2011 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaDirect Link to This Post
I am sure that the other Fiero owners in your class were really upset. He, he, he.

No, back to caring. Gladly the two of you were not seriously hurt. Always good to see you and your family there, and looking forward already to next year.

Tony
Celthora87GT

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2011 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Celthora87GTSend a Private Message to Celthora87GTDirect Link to This Post
Glad you are OK on a side note what kind of rims are those??? i like them

------------------
1987 Black GT Custom interior with Mr. Mikes seats
Newly acquired 1985 coupe with series one 3800SC 5speed Getrag as a donor to the Fri Fri (87GT)

aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2011 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochDirect Link to This Post
I always heard those pre-88's had a bump-steer issue..

Couldn't resist, sorry so much that you went through that.. Too bad my car wasn't finished in time, I might have almost had a chance if your car wasn't there..

------------------

Currently in the middle of my 88 + 3800NA swap

justa6

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2011 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for justa6Send a Private Message to justa6Direct Link to This Post
when i read the title with your name i got worried. by my favorite notchback on the forum. glad to see it isnt totaled!

good luck with getting it abck on the road, and congrats on the wedding!

------------------

My 365 Project
My Videos
87 Fiero GT 5-speed.
98 Golf K2 5-speed 2.0
Minivan Drivers; they're good for fertilizer. Thats all.

PFF
System Bot
FieroRumor

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2011 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
Sorry this happened
glad no one got hurt
glad you made the best of the situation
glad it can be repaired

Rallaster

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2011 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterDirect Link to This Post
Good to see you're Ok and the car is fixable. I read the thread title and I thought "Oh god, Someone ran a redlight and T-Boned him and the car is totaled." Good to see I was wrong.
Gokart Mozart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2011 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:

Man that stinks !

Good luck on getting her back together.

That'll buff right out!
Dogcreek

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2011 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DogcreekSend a Private Message to DogcreekDirect Link to This Post
Wow.... the pics really put what you talked about into perspective. Can't help but believe some driving skill on your part helped a large amount. Great to see you at the show... Next year will be another good show I know... Glad you guys were ok..

Jeff and Karla

[This message has been edited by Dogcreek (edited 08-17-2011).]

dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2011 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsDirect Link to This Post
Glad to see you got her home. I'm impressed that you still continued on and made the show.
newin55

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2011 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newin55Send a Private Message to newin55Direct Link to This Post
This could only happen on a Fiero! Well, maybe a Honda Prelude or a VR-4 with 4-wheel steering.

Seriously though, it is great that it wasn't worse case senerio. Glad you were able to stand and accept your hard luck award at Fiero Fest.

kooljess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2011 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kooljessSend a Private Message to kooljessDirect Link to This Post
WOW!!! I am glad you are safe and got her back home and put together. Sorry that it happen. I know how you feel believe me.

------------------

http://members.cardomain.com/koolflip

Sigler85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2011 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Sigler85GTSend a Private Message to Sigler85GTDirect Link to This Post
Even wrecked your car looks good man. Hope the repairs go well.
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2011 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post
This could have ended so much worse, I know you're glad it didn't. We all are. Whew!!!!
Nice ride before and it will be again. Extremely glad and thankfull no one was hurt. When the pucker factor kicks in, you know how to handle it. Nice save.

------------------
Ron

fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2011 12:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Direct Link to This Post
BTW, if you ever change those ball joints, get new Moog parts. Stay away from 2nd quality brands. Those could make your accident happen again. When you replaced the bolt I hope you used a Grade 10 bolt. This is not something anyone should over-look. Hell, just buy Rodney's ball joints and tie-rods since their excellent quality and the cheapest out on the market for fieros. Rodney has the best parts at the best price.

That's what I have on both of my 88GTs.

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. All original.

[This message has been edited by fierogt28 (edited 08-18-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
Gandalf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2011 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GandalfSend a Private Message to GandalfDirect Link to This Post
Exactly what happened to me except it was the drivers side, and I was luckily only doing ~5mph on a gravel track to the Stars and Stripes show.

Glad the damage isn't too bad. I got brand new grade 10 bolts for both sides after that!
littleblackpontiac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2011 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for littleblackpontiacSend a Private Message to littleblackpontiacDirect Link to This Post
Even on a trailer with dust all over it and cracks in the front bumper, its still one of the most beautiful Fieros ive ever seen..and also i might add...this car has alot of creativity put into it.

Paul and Brandi, my best wishes to you and your wedding...you are both way cool people

Shane
nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2011 12:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Direct Link to This Post
Glad that you got away with this much damage and not more. Hopefully you get it all patched up asap- its definitely one of the nicest notchies on here. Good luck with it

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock