Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Are Stock Fieros Fading into Obscurity? (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Are Stock Fieros Fading into Obscurity? by Dennis LaGrua
Started on: 07-23-2011 09:36 AM
Replies: 70
Last post by: cherokee 140 on 07-27-2011 12:51 PM
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2011 09:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
When I peruse this forum I see numerous projects, custom work and engine swaps. I sometimes wonder if in a few years there will be any stock Fieros left. The Pontiac Fiero has been steadily moving into the 25 yr old Classic and Historic Collector Car category. In two more years all Fieros will be 25 years old and as such the remaining stock ones will probably need new engines and/or drivetrains.
We do not seem to be a car hobbiest community that restores our cars to the stock showroom condition preferring to modernize and modify our vehicles. Most Fieros seem to have new paint colors, different engines, upgraded interiors etc.
I wonder what percentage of Fieros are still in stock condition but the bigger question is: will any stock Fieros remain in the near future?

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 07-24-2011).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2011 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Direct Link to This Post
Mine's going to stay stock (and before someone mentions it, I still consider it to be stock even though I put new air in the tires LOL). I figure, its my car, its only going to be stock once, and its a low-production model (there were, what, just a few thousand 88GTs only?). I didn't buy it for any investment value; I just think its an awesome little car from a very interesting period in GM's history. I'll leave the modding for the other guys.
2farnorth

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2011 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2farnorthSend a Private Message to 2farnorthDirect Link to This Post
I have a couple of stock ones here. One will remain that way at least as long as I'm alive.... The other may not. Depends on when or how opportunity knocks.
Ridgelandbaseball

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2011 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RidgelandbaseballSend a Private Message to RidgelandbaseballDirect Link to This Post
That is exactly the goal for my 86GT. I did put a 3.4 in it but you can make that look stock. Also, I have an upgraded radio w/ a cd but that looks stock. I feel the charm of the Fiero is the way it was on the showroom floor.
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2011 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
I have an 88 Formula with 80k - it's all stock and will remain that way as long as I have anything to say about it. It has been my daily driver and has gone through 2 teenage boys - it is the most reliable car that I own. In a few weeks, I will be rehabing the interior - worn seats, sagging headliner, ect. Just needs a face lift - recently repainted it factory red. If the motor goes, I will rebuild a 2.8 or do a 3.4 to retain the "stock" look.
Ruffy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2011 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RuffySend a Private Message to RuffyDirect Link to This Post
My 84 looks bone stock but the rims. Not even a spoiler! Nice and sleek just the way it was from the factory. I get tons of complements on it and just won 3rd place at a hagerty and hemmings car show.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2011 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Direct Link to This Post
Bolt on body panels are both a blessing and a curse. The car is popular because it is so easily modified, and that's great, but when you realize how many cars are left, stock examples become rare and more important to the collectors. A good example of that is the Formula, which was a favorite chassis for kit cars.... total build of 5632 (I think), half of those being 5-speeds. There must be no more than 40% of them left in running order, and maybe 30% are stock or close to stock.....so if you want a stock 5-speed Formula, you may be picking from a batch of about 1000 cars. It's surprising to me that the prices have stayed so low, but I expect that will change soon.
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2011 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post
My 87 GT has been kept stock which isn't a challange as long as it stays away from collisions. It has had many replacement mechanical parts as I do drive it. But the engine has been untouched.
F355spider

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2011 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderDirect Link to This Post
I look at them like the old coupes from the 30s and 40s. Most became custom rides and a few stay stock but they just look and drive bettor custom. Even a lot of Muscle cars are getting updated these days.
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2011 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
I think I'll have maybe one Fiero to keep as a "Stock" example, but quite honestly I'm not really a fan of stock anything...most likely due to my age of course.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 07-23-2011).]

RickN

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2011 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RickNSend a Private Message to RickNDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by F355spider:

I look at them like the old coupes from the 30s and 40s. Most became custom rides and a few stay stock but they just look and drive bettor custom...".

I tend to agree with you.

Except for a few holes for driving lights and alarm system and a couple of nondestructive mods that can easily be undone, my '88 with less than 10K on the clock is stock. I would hate to drive it around with stock wheels and tires on it though, it deserves better.

To Dennis's point, my '88 is 23 years old this year, in 1992 (1969+23) people were just starting to think about the value of a late '60s muscle car.

------------------
RickN
White 88GT 5spd (<10K miles)
White 85GT (SC3800 Series II w/ AOD)
White 99 F250SD 7.3PSD 6spd
1956 Ford 860 Tractor w/ Freeman Loader
20Ft H&H Tilt Bed Trailer (Remember - Gravity is not a tie-down)

PFF
System Bot
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2011 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Obscurity? Yes. My friends drive only tweaked Fieros.

------------------

"Friends don't let their friends drive stock."

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2011 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Answer--no.

I've had 5--all remained stock. Have 2 now--still stock Indys.
beken

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2011 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bekenSend a Private Message to bekenDirect Link to This Post
Except for the club stickers, mine remains totally stock and unrestored. Suspension has been maintained recently.

Collector plate status in my location requires even the stock radio, and any pedal covers and bling accessories removed.
fiamma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2011 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiammaSend a Private Message to fiammaDirect Link to This Post
My 87gt is stock and staying that way. But I like seeing what people do with their cars.
cooguyfish

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2011 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cooguyfishSend a Private Message to cooguyfishDirect Link to This Post
If I had a lot of money, and a huge garage, I would own two of everything worth owning A stock fiero, and the one I have now. A stock delorean, and the car I think it should have been, etc.

Since I'm not rich, and I don't have a huge garage, I make cars what I want them to be. A car like the fiero in my opinion doesn't usually bring high dollars and therefore I'm not worried about keeping it original.

That said, when I 16 with my fiero I was all about the chop-top, F355 nose, IRM rockers, big wingstands for the spoiler, mustang hood scoop on the decklid, vented from hood, etc etc. I didn't even like the 84-86 bumper pads, didn't car much for the 87-88 coupes either, and was just ok with the aero notchbacks (I have a fastback BTW)

Now, at 26, I want the benefits of a vented hood, I plan to delete my spoiler altogether, (I think the fastback's without spoilers are uber sexy), lower it, aftermarket wheels and done. I don't care for any of that other stuff anymore. The stock lines of the fiero are just fine to my eyes these days. I like each body style more now than I did then, just lower them, and bigger wheels and I'm good. especially when the wheels are staggered one inch larger in the back. Stock lines are great to me.
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2011 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
I use to see Fieros all the time, now more and more the only one I see is the one in my driveway.
Stock Fieros may still be around but very few people drive one every day.
WingNut - MD

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2011 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WingNut - MDClick Here to visit WingNut - MD's HomePageSend a Private Message to WingNut - MDDirect Link to This Post
I just sold my stock 1985 GT with 37,000 miles on it. Could not get any interest here on the forum, so I sold it on e-bay. I think there is a small cult of people, within the Fiero community that like to keep them stock, but the majority like to modify them in some way.

Congrats to the new owner of my beloved "Peg." I will miss her, but she has a new owner to love and enjoy her.

BlackThunderGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2011 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackThunderGTSend a Private Message to BlackThunderGTDirect Link to This Post
There is nothing wrong with a nice stock Fiero, they make a better platform for your chop top

[This message has been edited by BlackThunderGT (edited 07-23-2011).]

fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2011 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Direct Link to This Post
Dennis, I thought about your prediciment a few years ago, and yes...there are fieros that are being swap with bigger engine and numerous modifiyed projects.

I have an 88GT that was stored since 1995 and I love the fact that seeing parts with tags on them are still stuck to the swaybars & coil springs. Even wondering if the engine was out at one time before 1995. Its hard to say. Even questioning if the distributor was out or was the car ever timed since it left the factory.

I will continue to keep it original and only a summer car. The paint would need to be re-done, but besides that...nothing. I didn't replace all bushings front and rear, end-links, front 4 ball-joints, rack bushing, and inner & outter tie-rods, and front shocks & rear struts. Those things need to be done to retain the handling if you want a really, really good driving fiero. And alignment to top it off.

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. All original.

Macs86GT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2011 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Macs86GTSend a Private Message to Macs86GTDirect Link to This Post
What is this stock you speak of?
PFF
System Bot
jim94

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2011 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jim94Send a Private Message to jim94Direct Link to This Post
why stock because i have no money to spend a no back to do the work with. chop tops sure are the bomb.
FieroG97J

Feedback score:    (31)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2011 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroG97JSend a Private Message to FieroG97JDirect Link to This Post
STOCK ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Herr Pennock has been asked a time or two about a "Stock Only" forum, but he must be in the Mod Squad too. Maybe someone with the knowhow (not me) could start a Stock Group on Yahoo or smewhere similar.
pete 2m4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2011 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pete 2m4Send a Private Message to pete 2m4Direct Link to This Post
Dennis you know me 100% 1984 stock including a 1984 Thompson Twins Into the Gap cassette
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2011 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

i prefer to mod them, but a stock fiero lowered and with aftermarket wheels looks good too.

No they are not fading into obscurity,,,,plenty of guys who still prefer stock.
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2011 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post
Nothing wrong with stock, nothing wrong with modifying. Though, I do like the stock body best and I am a Formula obsessive Fiero owner. All but one of my Formulas/Coupes have had a engine/drive line conversion. My one stock Formula is a CJB Formula. It has remained stock for one reason, it's an original CJB car. Though, I have considered a 3.4 P/R swap in it. It mostly just sits there and looks pretty. Needs to be driven more though. But, it's impossible for me to drive all of them.

------------------
Ron

Formula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2011 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
The low mileage original cars will probably be saved, but most of the daily driver types will either be used up, wrecked, parted, or modded.
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2011 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakDirect Link to This Post
My concern is not those Fiero that necessarily stay stock - a little modding is fine - but rather those that have been lost to major kit car projects or trikes. Many, MANY, kit car projects are started that are never finished. Nevermind the fact that many that make the attempt to build kit cars use perfectly good Fieros, tear them completely down, only to never finish them, and then send them off for scrap.

I don't think one should be concerned necessarily over all the modding that the Fiero community is doing but rather be concerned about more and more still being used for kits. There are those out there that still only see the Fiero as a means to create a kit car. I do feel though there are builders out there that are starting to see better options for kit cars. Porsche Boxters are now starting to be used, as you can find them relatively 'cheap' and they make good mid-engined kit car platforms. Even the last gen MR2s are being used.
kwagner

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2011 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by beken:

Except for the club stickers, mine remains totally stock and unrestored. Suspension has been maintained recently.

What year is it? I thought the black bumpers were only used in 84, which of course only offered the 4cyl, yet yours shows '2m6'.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2011 09:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:
My one stock Formula is a CJB Formula. It has remained stock for one reason, it's an original CJB car. Though, I have considered a 3.4 P/R swap in it. It mostly just sits there and looks pretty. Needs to be driven more though. But, it's impossible for me to drive all of them.

CJB?

Also: Bumper Pad Fieros were built in 85 and 86.
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2011 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kwagner:
What year is it? I thought the black bumpers were only used in 84, which of course only offered the 4cyl, yet yours shows '2m6'.

As mentioned, black bumpers were used from '84-'86. Also in '85 and '86, you could order a "2M6", which was a bumper-pad car with the L44 V6. The "2M6" is falling into relative obscurity (pun intended) because many do not know that the bumper pad cars could come with V6s, so they're consistently being written off as cheap four cylinder cars.
PFF
System Bot
CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2011 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTDirect Link to This Post

We do not seem to be a car hobbyist community that restores our cars to the stock showroom condition preferring to modernize and modify our vehicles. Most Fieros seem to have new paint colors, different engines, upgraded interiors etc.
I wonder what percentage of Fieros are still in stock condition but the bigger question is: will any stock Fieros remain in the near future?

Depends on the owners, I know of a hand full of owners that have Fiero's in Factory fresh condition. There are many 200 mile or lower.

I've kept my 88 Formula stock as possible, swapped radio for Pontiac Monsoon cd (looks stock) and Mr Mikes leather seats. A few years ago, I had it repainted, w/ decal's to it's original color. I'm proud to keep it this way. It's my daily driver w/ over 111k miles.

My 87 GT is 100% stock & original everything. Factory fresh, with 1,760 miles. Will it remain this way ? As long as I own it, yes.
carbon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2011 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonDirect Link to This Post
All I know is that all of the stock fanatics in our area have pretty much nothing to do with this forum, whether it's age or not being Internet savvy or whatever. They don't post on here. Stock Fieros are alive and well in the state of MN.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2011 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
The importance of keeping some Fieros completely stock is to preserve the original design of the vehicle. I forgot what is was like to drive a completely stock Fiero long ago. Since I enjoy having more horsepower under the hood, I modify just about everything BUT I have one stock 87GT (89K miles) and may decide to keep it that way. There are probably many stock Fieros but this forum seems to attract the racers, hotrodders and customizers.
Stock Fieros may not fade into obscurity but they sure seem to be getting scarce.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2011 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

CJB?

See: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...110502-2-098929.html

------------------
Ron

Frizlefrak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2011 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FrizlefrakSend a Private Message to FrizlefrakDirect Link to This Post
I have a 22K mile stock 86 GT.....and it will be staying that way. I've been down the modding & engine swap road, and got my fill of it. I love to watch others do it, but I'm done with it.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post07-24-2011 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post
A lot of the people who have stock cars, and who aren't on this forum, probably don't really have any need to be, if they keep their cars well maintained, and know anything about how to deal with them, or just take them to a shop to fix up. They don't need to know how to install a 3800, bolt it up to a manual trans, install the 7730 ECM, etc…

Though, there is also a lot you can do, and have the car still look like it's totally stock. But unless it's a rare car, I think most people don't have any real incentive to keep it a stock numbers matching car.
Shill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2011 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ShillSend a Private Message to ShillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:
a stock fiero lowered and with aftermarket wheels

Is this possible?
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post07-24-2011 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Shill:

Is this possible?

It's not logical. Any change from stock is by definition, not stock.

That said, lowered with nice wheels, does look nice. Even with the stock 86-88 GT wheels looks nice lowered. Closing the gap in the wheel weels does wonders for the Fiero's look.
fieroboy_gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2011 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroboy_gtSend a Private Message to fieroboy_gtDirect Link to This Post
Def way more stock fieros. For every 50 i see in maine an there are quite a rew in my area there all stock excepr mine an one other guy.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock