Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Are Stock Fieros Fading into Obscurity? (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Are Stock Fieros Fading into Obscurity? by Dennis LaGrua
Started on: 07-23-2011 09:36 AM
Replies: 70
Last post by: cherokee 140 on 07-27-2011 12:51 PM
NCTyphoonKid

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2011 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NCTyphoonKidSend a Private Message to NCTyphoonKidDirect Link to This Post
When I restored my gold/black SE my goal was to keep it pretty much stock but with some mods. I put GT lace wheels on,GT 120mph speedo, I repainted the valve covers and plenum to a black and gold theme and then have a gutted cat. I didn't do big stuff to my car just little stuff that should have been there when it was new on the lot in 1986.
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
IP: Logged
BlackGT Codde

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2011 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackGT CoddeSend a Private Message to BlackGT CoddeDirect Link to This Post
im a stocker myself. my dream is to find a 88gt five spd totally stock. but so far they keep disappearing and becoming chop suey madness with the unfinished swaps
FieroG97J

Feedback score:    (31)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2011 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroG97JSend a Private Message to FieroG97JDirect Link to This Post
How about a nice 88 GT automatic with 26,000 on it?
FieroG97J

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2011 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroG97JSend a Private Message to FieroG97JDirect Link to This Post

FieroG97J

1450 posts
Member since Jul 2000

Originally posted by NCTyphoonKid:

When I restored my gold/black SE my goal was to keep it pretty much stock but with some mods. I put GT lace wheels on,GT 120mph speedo, I repainted the valve covers and plenum to a black and gold theme and then have a gutted cat. I didn't do big stuff to my car just little stuff that should have been there when it was new on the lot in 1986.
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

You have done a nice job on your ride. The key is to only make mods that are reversible with no damage, so future generations can own your car some day like GM built it.
Kevin87FieroGT

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2011 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Kevin87FieroGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroG97J:

STOCK ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Herr Pennock has been asked a time or two about a "Stock Only" forum, but he must be in the Mod Squad too. Maybe someone with the knowhow (not me) could start a Stock Group on Yahoo or smewhere similar.

I'll second that!
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2011 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaDirect Link to This Post
With 300,000 plus Fieros built and only what, 1000 active members on this forum the ratio of “stock” Fieros to “modified” is tilted to the stock side. We are a select few who even discuss our Fieros, I have met many a Fiero owner who has never heard of Pennocks, and have no desire to become members. Also, a lot of owners don’t want to become associated with a Fiero club too, to them the car is a means of transportation. Also from what I have seen, if you start a thread here, you are 50% likely to be showing off a “modification” so you do see a lot of “non-stock” Fieros here. No idea of how many are left on the road, and how many are non-stock, but I’d still say that more than likely, if you see a Fiero on the road today, it has a good chance of being “Stock”. BUT…. I also think that the biggest “mods” are: CD player/speakers, Rims/Tires, Seat Covers and exhaust system. When anyone of these things needs replaced, going aftermarket is not very expensive, and the upgrade can/will make the car more fun. These things can also be changed back to stock very easy.

Me, my 88 coupe is far from stock, and its a CJB T-Top car.

Rob

------------------

88 Coupe, CJB T-TOP, LS376 and a GT clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAH9yjw6XR0

njcwgrl

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2011 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for njcwgrlSend a Private Message to njcwgrlDirect Link to This Post
Hi,

I dont know if you will call my 88 stock. But, the only aftermarket item I have is the radio
I added a bunch of factory options to my car. Like power windows/power mirrors,120 spedo,
aux.gauges and Diamond rims and paint (Talbot Yellow) was Red

I like the factory look of the Fiero and I LOVE my notchie

------------------
Shannon
88 Fiero "Valhalla"

css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2011 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by qwikgta:

Also, a lot of owners don’t want to become associated with a Fiero club too, to them the car is a means of transportation.

I see those people from time and on a couple occasions I've mentioned the presence of sites such as this one as well as Rodney's and the Fiero Store, and each time they looked at me like I was some sort of stalker. To them, it really is nothing more than cheap transportation.
NCTyphoonKid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2011 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NCTyphoonKidSend a Private Message to NCTyphoonKidDirect Link to This Post

You have done a nice job on your ride. The key is to only make mods that are reversible with no damage, so future generations can own your car some day like GM built it.

Thanks and yes i agree on the mods. I did put a cd player in my car also but it came out of a grand prix so I just ordered that plug and play harness so no wire cutting
BlackGT Codde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2011 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackGT CoddeSend a Private Message to BlackGT CoddeDirect Link to This Post

How about a nice 88 GT automatic with 26,000 on it?

well first i need to win the lotto then i can have my "dream" car
edit: i would settle for an auto but it would definitely have to have the gt package.
then i would modify my 86 se to handle a supercharged ls7 out of a corvette strictly for racing that is

[This message has been edited by BlackGT Codde (edited 07-25-2011).]

VikingRedBaron

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2011 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VikingRedBaronSend a Private Message to VikingRedBaronDirect Link to This Post
Mine will remain stock as long as I own it.
PFF
System Bot
jazz4cash

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2011 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jazz4cashSend a Private Message to jazz4cashDirect Link to This Post
i wish I could find or restore an OE style Delco Energizer battery.....you know the ones with the green eye.
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2011 05:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
There a lot of members here that do not ever look past stock most would see custom fieros as drive cars not collectibles.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2011 06:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

When I peruse this forum I see numerous projects, custom work and engine swaps. I sometimes wonder if in a few years there will be any stock Fieros left. The Pontiac Fiero has been steadily moving into the 25 yr old Classic and Historic Collector Car category. In two more years all Fieros will be 25 years old and as such the remaining stock ones will probably need new engines and/or drivetrains.
We do not seem to be a car hobbiest community that restores our cars to the stock showroom condition preferring to modernize and modify our vehicles. Most Fieros seem to have new paint colors, different engines, upgraded interiors etc.
I wonder what percentage of Fieros are still in stock condition but the bigger question is: will any stock Fieros remain in the near future?

The Fiero is not unlike may Corvettes or muscle cars. They are all new and then many are modified to be faster or more personalized. As they get older and mor valuable they get restored to original. The Fiero is just in the same cycle that most cars see.

Back in the 70's and early 80's it was damn impossible to find a stock Chevy Chevelle, Nova or Camaro SS that did not have something done to it. Today stock is all the rage.

Note a stock V6 may show value but a stock 4 cylinder will always be low on the demand list unless it has low miles. It will be like a 4 door 55 or a 4 cylinder Chevy II. It just will never see the demand to compensate for the vast numbers of them built.
FieroG97J

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2011 09:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroG97JSend a Private Message to FieroG97JDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jazz4cash:

i wish I could find or restore an OE style Delco Energizer battery.....you know the ones with the green eye.

Seems like I remember some resto product company that makes antique batteries like the Freedom II. You might try to Google it.
Chris_86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2011 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTDirect Link to This Post
I have done custom exterior and interior job to my car, but I have kept all the stock panels and interior; I can put it back together whenever I want.
I haven't done anything that can't be back to stock.
timgray

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2011 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for timgrayClick Here to visit timgray's HomePageSend a Private Message to timgrayDirect Link to This Post
3800 and V8 swaps ARE stock. It's not our fault that GM forgot to put the proper engine in the car.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2011 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Seriously, the only "stock" Fiero I would want would be these and I'm using the word "stock" loosly here. Stock for me is, "Yeah, they're uniquely stock, becuase GM didn't produced them, hehe.

Everything else, I find no need keeping in "stock" form including Pace cars or 88s.
ohioindy

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2011 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ohioindyClick Here to visit ohioindy's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohioindyDirect Link to This Post

------------------
Factory Stock
The way God intended it to be.

GTMNYGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2011 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTMNYGTSend a Private Message to GTMNYGTDirect Link to This Post
In my humble opinion the factory produces a car with the sole intention of making profits. This means sacrificing quality for quantity. Once in a while manufactures will release limited production vehicles directed at the enthusiast. If I'm not mistaken GM produced the Fiero to appeal to those wanting economy with a sport edge. Its my belief that whenever you purchase a car without the intention of it being a daily driver or an A to B car, you purchase it with the intention of turning into something that reflects your personality. There is no way a car could come from the factory exactly the way I would like no changes necessary. For one I would never be satisfied with a 2.8 V6, but thats what GM used because it wouldn't have been cost effective at the time to use a more powerful (which would ulitmately mean more expensive) engine. I personally won't change any of the exterior styling, but some might because they don't like the way it looks or because they think their idea of how it should look is better. Any modification I perform might not appeal to the next guy but it most certainly makes my day everytime I look at it. My Fiero is my Fiero.

With that said its most definitely a sight to behold when you come across an untouched, completely stock, pristine condition Fiero. The same with any other car that is still in its original glory. I think that type of deal pertains more to the car collector type of guy. I love cars as a whole but I have a special place for Fieros in my heart. Will there be stock Fieros down the road? Of course. But the odds are they will be in smaller and smaller numbers as the years pass, mainly because guys like us take them to the next level of their potential.
Fiero88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2011 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero88GTSend a Private Message to Fiero88GTDirect Link to This Post
my 88 gt is mostly stock and could be returned to 100% stock pretty easily except for the bushings.

all ive done to it is exhaust, plugs and wires, short shifter because the old one was hacked up in a failed attempt to make a short shifter, and polly urethane bushings. i think there might be a few other little things but if i ever sold it to someone who wanted it to be completely stock they could do that with a quick trip to a salvage yard and a few things from the fiero store.

in my opinion if you bought the car you can do what you want with it but i personally would never put a body kit on any car or turn a car into something its not. i want to do an engine swap or buy a fiero with an already swapped engine someday but i would never molest an all original good condition fiero or any classic.
PFF
System Bot
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2011 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post
The Fiero was intended to be a sports car that took Pontiac till 1988 to get to where they wanted to start. They sold GM on the premises that it was a sporty economy car to get it approved and then turn it into what they wanted in the first place.

Pontiac would have never put a V8 in and the 2.8 was at the time one of the best engines available. the 3.8 was not much of a sporting engine and really had not much more in power. The 2.8 also fit better.

Since the first cars appeared people have modifed them. Cars are an extention of our egos and we want people to notice us. Some people may be happy in ther don't notice me Camry or Accord but the car people segment always look for that edge to get noticed.

The real trick is to get noticed for the right reasons. To customize a car and fo it right is not always an easy thing. It take taste and the ability to know when to stop. For some the only taste is in their mouths. LOL!

The true mark of a well done car is one that 25 years or more still has a look that works. Too often people fall for trends that wear out and just don't work years later. It is not easy to hit this point but some people have a knack for it. Some of the classic customs over the years have proven timeless. This is even true with some of the classic stock cars. Cars like a Dusenburg or a 65 Buick Riviera.

For the most the stock Fiero has held up well as it was a good design. Many of the modified Fiero's have held up well too while others just flat miss the mark.

I think my custom may have held up well as many people are shocked to find it is 25 years old and that most of the custom parts are nearly as old. I can tell you there are things I though about doing when I was young and thank God I did not do them as they would not have worked well in todays scene.

Right now the most cost effective way to keep a stock car is to find a low mileage stock car and maintain it. It just is too expensive and difficult to go 100% stock right now with the lack of good interior parts.
Fiero1K

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2011 12:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1KSend a Private Message to Fiero1KDirect Link to This Post
For me, my Fiero was a blank slate, on which I could create my dream car. I'm still creating it, and still loving it. Watch for 3800 swap - soon.

But I have much respect for the stock guys. Indys especially (I would love a pristine unrestored one someday). I don't see them going away.

------------------
1988 Firethorn Red Pearl Pontiac Fiero CJB T-Top Coupe, # 784 of 1252

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2011 06:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post
There is no right or wrong here just what you want is what matters.

For the most only the T top on mine is the only thing that would not be easy to return back to stock on mine,. I have all the original parts including the OE Eagle GT's. Odds are I will never turn back to stock but I could if needed.

The bottom line is in just what you want.
TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2011 07:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODDirect Link to This Post
When I got my 88 GT I thought I would like to customize it, but now I`m leaning more towards, besides it being lowered and different wheels I think I will leave it that way.
Since the going thing is to own at least a couple of Fieros and considering how cheap they are to obtain I have the mindset of why not keep one stock that you can go to shows and such and be able to enjoy and take another and customize the heck out of it.
I have a perfectly rust free 85 that I could customize extensively if I want.
It seemed when I had my 85 GT I was always hurrying to finish something that I was working on or putting off something because of a show or a cruise that was coming up.
With my 88 just sitting there ready to go, I won`t have to think about that.
Mike
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2011 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaDirect Link to This Post
Cars I would leave all stock:

84 Indy
88 T-Top Yellow Formula
88 T-Top Gray Formula
88 T-Top GT
88 GT (low mileage, clean, all stock to start with)

If I was to buy an all stock 88 GT and it was high mileage, beat on or just in poor shape, I would not spend the money to make it stock because for the same money you could add better parts. I may not change the way it looks on the outside, but I’d have to add a newer GM CD player, better speakers, Mr Mikes. I would want to upgrade the brakes and to do so, id have to get bigger rims, so why not get some nice ones. Not 20” or anything but something classic. New shocks/springs, bushings, have to go with Poly and Koni’s. Add a wing if it didn't have one, unless it came stock with a rare GT luggage rack. Stock is great if that’s your thing but like others have posted, what is your goal? If its long term money, you have to start with the cars that are the most desirable. Tuff call now, what will be worth money in 25 years. If it’s all stock, 88 coupes with a 2.5L Tech 4, then I’m going to be pissed.

I know the owner of an 88 coupe (original owner) with 70,000+ miles on it. Over the years he has swapped out the 14” rims for black 88 15” rims, added a rear wing, put in a Pontiac CD player, a rear sway bar off on a 88 GT, Beachwood Mr. Mikes seat covers. From the outside it looks like a stock white 88 Formula without the stickers. I would argue it’s a stock car because other than the Mr. Mikes he used stock, Fiero parts, even though you could not get one from the factory like that. Stock or modified, it’s still a good looking car.

Cheers

Rob

------------------

88 Coupe, CJB T-TOP, LS376 and a GT clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAH9yjw6XR0

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2011 09:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
Mine are "stock" - just better because I fixed GM's mistakes

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 07-27-2011).]

Pyrthian

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2011 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
just as much as any other car

its all in what you want - it is what you bought for, aint it?

there is no right or wrong answer.
AuNROD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2011 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AuNRODSend a Private Message to AuNRODDirect Link to This Post
We have a '84 and a '88, both totally stock, that is going on the market VERY soon. I am a 'stock' believer right down to the orig hoses and clamps - and everything else.

PM me.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post07-27-2011 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by qwikgta:
Tuff call now, what will be worth money in 25 years. If it’s all stock, 88 coupes with a 2.5L Tech 4, then I’m going to be pissed.

For all anyone knows, in 25 years, internal combustion engines could be outlawed. Look at how much technology has advanced in just the last 25 years, and every 25 years before then, for the last 125 years. And look at the insane population growth, and the ever increasing traffic problems all over the world.
cherokee 140

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2011 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cherokee 140Click Here to visit cherokee 140's HomePageSend a Private Message to cherokee 140Direct Link to This Post
My car looks just like the one pictured....and is stock as well. I did put skinny-er tires on it (yes you did read that right) old man having problems with fat tires and no power steering...it was that or sell the car.

I do want to get a new radio for it...but I am going to do a replacement radio . com thing for that so it will still have the GM radio in there...others look stupid to me.

I also need to replace all the susp. rubber bits....I do have poly bushings for it so I guess to a pure standard it will not stock after that and the skinny tires.

Been driving it everyday and even with the temps hitting 104 and the AC on full blast the little car just keeps going and the temp gage just tickles 220.....dang I love that little car.

Originally posted by WingNut - MD:

I just sold my stock 1985 GT with 37,000 miles on it. Could not get any interest here on the forum, so I sold it on e-bay. I think there is a small cult of people, within the Fiero community that like to keep them stock, but the majority like to modify them in some way.

Congrats to the new owner of my beloved "Peg." I will miss her, but she has a new owner to love and enjoy her.

PFF
System Bot
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock