Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Some thoughts and ideas on (functional) new fastback 1/4 window scoops

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Some thoughts and ideas on (functional) new fastback 1/4 window scoops by 87_GT_GoBabyGo
Started on: 07-19-2011 10:50 PM
Replies: 9
Last post by: 87_GT_GoBabyGo on 07-20-2011 01:05 AM
87_GT_GoBabyGo

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2011 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87_GT_GoBabyGoSend a Private Message to 87_GT_GoBabyGoDirect Link to This Post
So I am tired of looking at the beat up lexan 1/4 windows on my fiero. It's time for a change. I have come up with a basic design for a functional intake scoop for both sides. the driver's side would be filtered and ran into the TB, obviously. Passenger's side would be additional ram cooling air for the block/accessories. I priced out some other scoops that were purely cosmetic in nature, and holy crap! i';m not paying that much for that shoddy workmanship. I could make blinged out carbon fiber for less out of my own pocket, still trying to figure out why people are charging so much for scoops. Anyway, i did some concept work, here is my car before i start anything, and then a pic of what I am working up to.

So the side scoop is just a concept as of right now, but if i got enough interest in the matter, i might consider actually making some good molds and producing some of these, if the demand was around. toss some ideas around at me guys, and feel free to ask any questions, or post any concerns!

Oh, and by the way, if i were to sell these, once i made enough profit to cover material costs, i would be very down with bartering services and goods rather than just money. just something to toss around the noggins
------------------

[This message has been edited by 87_GT_GoBabyGo (edited 07-19-2011).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
87_GT_GoBabyGo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2011 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87_GT_GoBabyGoSend a Private Message to 87_GT_GoBabyGoDirect Link to This Post
(bump) Nobody?
Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2011 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post
I've seen side scoops on the lower quarter designed like that before. I think it's a nice look and actually one of the ones I would prefer using. I like your concept drawing, although I'm not much for the Ferrari nose.

Edit:

Here they are. I don't know if they are still being made and sold though.

Of course these haven't had the cut outs put in them yet.

And them installed.

Oh, and, Welcome to the forum!

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 07-19-2011).]

Sage

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2011 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SageSend a Private Message to SageDirect Link to This Post
fierowarehouse.com

Nice design.

HAGO!
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2011 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTDirect Link to This Post
Based on his first sentence, I think he is talking about the quarter window scoops....not the side intake scoops.
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2011 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTDirect Link to This Post

IMSA GT

10268 posts
Member since Aug 2007
Now to answer your question. Based on experience with this forum, you are better off making parts on a one-on-one basis. You will get tons of support about how nice and great they look but the minute you mass produce them and post a price, you will hear crickets in here.....unless the price is $20.00 or less. Ask any vendor of fiberglass parts on here. I make carbon fiber parts for members on here via word of mouth. They hear of my work and PM me for parts. I don't really advertise my work on here. That is the best way of not getting screwed and losing your money.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 07-19-2011).]

Sage

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2011 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SageSend a Private Message to SageDirect Link to This Post
Yea Adam, you are probably right.

I was just showing that the side scoops are already available, and that I DO think they are a nice design .

As to the 1/4 windows, I like what is done in the above rendering, I've always thought about doing a set of fiberglass ones that are "innies" like the side scoops, instead of the "outies" like the fierostore and others offer, but I do like what's shown in the op with the matching ribs in the opening.

So many ideas, so little time! (and MONEY )

HAGO!

[This message has been edited by Sage (edited 07-19-2011).]

IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2011 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTDirect Link to This Post
You're absolutely right Sage. If he can pull the entire design off, it will look beautiful....especially with the 5 ribs that you mentioned in the scoops.

Edit to add....where are my manners..welcome to the forum

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 07-19-2011).]

fierofan25

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2011 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofan25Send a Private Message to fierofan25Direct Link to This Post
very interested. Keep up the good work.
87_GT_GoBabyGo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2011 01:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87_GT_GoBabyGoSend a Private Message to 87_GT_GoBabyGoDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the inputs, to clarify, yes i was speaking of the 1/4 window scoops. And thanks for the greeting. i have been trolling around these forums since September, when i bought the car, finally decided it was about time i make a membership! I removed the windows today, using the recommended GM "Paint Safe Adhesive Remover"... Not so paint safe, it took some off the window, which will be a pain to repair because of the dithering dots near the edge of the tint pattern.

The window removed

Cleaned this up, had to repaint some of it after the Adhesive remover had it's way with the frame..

The Window after adhesive removal.

Starting sewing (by hand...) a new leather shift boot today also, what a pain!

Looked good when i finished though, fingers are killing me though.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock