Installing Fastback 1/4 Windows Rant by FieroMontreal
Started on: 07-19-2011 07:54 PM
Replies: 6
Last post by: IMSA GT on 07-19-2011 10:15 PM
FieroMontreal

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2011 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMontrealSend a Private Message to FieroMontrealDirect Link to This Post
I've had some brand new Khaines quarter windows for several months now and I can't find a way to install them on my GT. I've done numerous research on here and I'm unable to get it right.

I've tried the thin 3M double sided tape and that didn't work.
I tried to find the original 3M tape that held our windows but it's discontinued.
I've tried to find the new 3M tape that replaces the discontinued tape however I can only find boxes of 12 rolls or a highly over inflated price for 1 roll.
I've emailed Fiero Warehouse several times to see if I could buy some tape but I never got a reply
I purchased windshield "glue" (dark black stinky stuff in a tube) .. I went thru 2 brand new cork guns and they all broke before I could get any glue out of the tube.

I'm stumped.

How did you guys get your windows installed? Did anyone use Silicone?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
MountainHiBlue87GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2011 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MountainHiBlue87GTSend a Private Message to MountainHiBlue87GTDirect Link to This Post
Pay the slightly over inflated price for the replacement tape. What is the 3M part number for the replacement tape?

I have a set of brand new GT quarter windows that are New Old Stock (NOS) and they have the original tape already attached in all the right places and the sticky side of the tape is coverd by a white plastic sheet. Pulled the white plastic sheet back a little bit and the tape is still STICKY.
------------------
Metallic Blue/Silver 1987 Fiero GT - 2006 3800 Series III Drive by Wire; Ported & Polished by TrippleEdge; 1.7 Yella Terra Full Roller Rockers; VS Cam; Tuning by Darth; WCF CAI & 1 5/8 Stainless Headers, 3" Exhaust, Power Steering & Much More; MSD Coils & Wires; Porsche (Brembo) Calipers on 13" Viper Rotors; 18X8 TSW Indy Wheels; Paint by Phoenix Auto in California City.

[This message has been edited by MountainHiBlue87GT (edited 07-19-2011).]

FieroMontreal

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2011 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMontrealSend a Private Message to FieroMontrealDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MountainHiBlue87GT:

Pay the slightly over inflated price for the replacement tape. What is the 3M part number for the replacement tape?

I have a set of brand new GT

It's nearly $100 a roll for the 3M 4004 tape! Thats more then half the price of the 1/4 windows. I'm hoping there are other options before spending $100 on tape
BlueDanCoupe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2011 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlueDanCoupeSend a Private Message to BlueDanCoupeDirect Link to This Post
I ran into the same issue trying to find tape for one window on a 1987 GT after I messed up the install. Looked all over the internet, all I could find was a 12 yard roll at some inflated price. I ended up just purchasing the tape on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...5fAutomotiveQ5fTools I had it in a couple days, knew it was the right tape and made sure I positioned the window correctly this time!

I did find some black foam 1/8 inch thick tape that I thought would work, but again it was only sold in large quantity.
crt454

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2011 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crt454Send a Private Message to crt454Direct Link to This Post
I've used a couple different things. On my first Fiero, I used an aircraft type silicone, those quarters were never coming off. I used some 3M tape (not sure what the number was, stickiest outdoor stuff I could find) that I found at the local hardware store on my current Fiero. These quarters have been on for six years and still holding strong.
MountainHiBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2011 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MountainHiBlue87GTSend a Private Message to MountainHiBlue87GTDirect Link to This Post
I had a set of after market windows that I bought before I found the NOS windows that I mentioned above. I never opened them and I sold them to someone else. They installed them with the 3M tape supplied by the maker. Apparently, the tape stuck to the car and stuck to whatever the black "paint" was that wased used to immitate the black mask of the stock windows. After a short while, the tape remained stuck to the car and to the black paint, but the black paint came unstuck from the windows. And they fell off!

Bad News----Beware!!!

------------------
Metallic Blue/Silver 1987 Fiero GT - 2006 3800 Series III Drive by Wire; Ported & Polished by TrippleEdge; 1.7 Yella Terra Full Roller Rockers; VS Cam; Tuning by Darth; WCF CAI & 1 5/8 Stainless Headers, 3" Exhaust, Power Steering & Much More; MSD Coils & Wires; Porsche (Brembo) Calipers on 13" Viper Rotors; 18X8 TSW Indy Wheels; Paint by Phoenix Auto in California City.

[This message has been edited by MountainHiBlue87GT (edited 07-20-2011).]

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2011 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTDirect Link to This Post
In a nutshell with any 3M tape, the hotter the car or the part, the better. The tape HAS to soften up at a higher temperature for it to bond 100%. If you apply it cold, you will be able to pull it right back off with very little effort. The best thing to do is clean the backs of the Ken Hines windows, clean the surface of your car with rubbing alcohol, let the car and the windows sit in the sun for about 30 minutes. The black should attract heat and really soften the tape. Now when you are ready to apply the windows be VERY careful. At this point the tape will stick VERY easily and be pretty close to permanent so make sure to position the window properly before applying pressure to it.

Edit to add......3M recommends a surface temperature of 70-100 degrees before application.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 07-19-2011).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock